ss_1_power_connector (resized).jpg
ss_1_adaptor_on_board (resized).jpg
ss-1_adaptor (resized).jpg
v1.3.7_header (resized).jpg
jjp_scorbit_menu (resized).jpeg
F67FA8ED-88EC-4C5B-B4B7-89A298A80550 (resized).png
F8348788-3939-4927-9E4F-8B812A6B8527.gif
deeplinks.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider altan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#416 2 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Serverless is just a silly buzzword, at the end of the day the app is speaking to a server rack in some data centre no mater what you want to call it.

Making no comment here about how Scorbit is designed, but I will say that Serverless is not a buzzword (any more than any tech name is a buzzword). Whether you approve of the name or not, it's an official name for a type of cloud compute where the developer need not worry about any details regarding how the code is executed. Sure, there is obviously a collection of servers that run the code, but the developer never sees it.

With a serverless design, a developer says "execute this code" with these inputs when a condition occurs. The provider of the serverless platform (like Google or Amazon) deal with the farm of servers to run it, whatever operating system is being used, ensuring everything is networked together, and ensuring the runtime library(s) to execute the code are up-to-date (NodeJS, Python, Etc.)

So it is Serverless from the developers perspective. Generally speaking the developer is billed not by now many servers/VM are instantiated (and their memory and hard drive characteristics plus number of vCPUS), but rather how many times the code is executed and how long the execution takes.

1 year later
#729 1 year ago

Is Scorbit working today?

I finally got some time to try the new hog / auto claim mode. However, the app (iOS) just hangs on the “Loading Session…” screen after scanning the QR code.

Tried force quitting it as well as deleting and installing again, but no difference.

Update 1: Now it’s just showing a spinning star-like thing and not showing anything where it previously said loading session.

Update 2: seems to work if I don’t use the QR. Selecting pin from list worked and auto claim even worked after that.

#731 1 year ago
Quoted from jsa:

Thanks for the updates!! Can you confirm the app version and build number, and your mobile platform/OS version?
Thanks!!

iOS Build 1.3.2 (1057)
iPhone 13 Pro Max

#733 1 year ago
Quoted from jsa:

altan that's my exact configuration. Another question: Is the QR code you are scanning in a private venue?

Yes it is.
I don’t know if it was a temp problem.
I’ll try again tonight hopefully.

#735 1 year ago
Quoted from jsa:

We have identified a bug we are working to correct on scanning QRs into private venues you don’t own or on the player list for. I hope to have that resolved for you soon. However, if you both own the machine (visible in My Machines) and the venue (visible in My Venues) it should work. Let me know what you find!

Well, I cannot explain it --- but all is working well today. Figured it was your backend when the QR didn't work but the iPhone App "click on the game" did. But who knows.

Auto claim is a awesome feature.

3 weeks later
#785 1 year ago

Just some unorganized thoughts on this whole situation

1. I didn't hear exactly what was said on the Godfather live stream
2. IMHO portions of Scorbits "announcement" bordered on unprofessional
3. Scorbit+JPP (the combo) was terribly unrelaiable for a year+ after JJP released the functionality, at least for me
4. With the recent JJP betas and, especially, the hog mode from Scorbit, it was very nice -- so it's rather unfortunate it goes away shortly after working well
5. (removed)
6. It was stated in the Scorbit "announcement" that there has never been any contractural agreement between JJP and Scorbit. This is exactly the type of thing that occurs when companies work together yet decide to hold off any formal Master Service Agreements, etc. Either party can walk away and the other shouldn't be upset.
7. I am interested in any legal exposure JJP might have given people purchased these games advertised with this feature. Would need to read the fine print somewhere.
8. For me, the best parts of JJP+Scorbit integration were just 2 things: automatic name/initials for high scores and, to a much lesser extent, achievements.
9. One other thing, partners like Scorbit have unique insight into the internals of a company like JJP. The info they inherently glean, such as number of machines sold, how often they are played, general locations, etc. is valuable. JJP might have decided to keep they don't want 3rd party knowing this, as part of their decision to move away. Of course, NDAs and requirements around keeping this information proprietary would have been addressed in a MSA, if one had been performed.

EDIT NOTE:
I've removed item 5. I wrote it after having found GNR wouldn't connect to Scorbit on the night all this information came to light. This made me believe that Scorbit had disabled JJP games. Turns out the inability to connect was a temporary fluke and JJP GNR can still connect to Scorbit, at least for the time being. The original text is below, for reference.

5. Let's be clear here, at least from what I can tell, Scorbit decided to cut off JJP yesterday. I personally feel Scorbit could have handled this much better (not saying JJP couldn't have either). It was an opportunity for Scorbit to own the message, make it clear that the functionality stopped when the customer installed a newer JJP release. Focus the feature removal on JJP. Instead, the message is Scorbit has turned off the functionality yesterday.

#790 1 year ago

I turned on GNR last night after all this discussion and it didn't connect to Scorbit.
I just turned it on now, and it did connect. Not sure why, glad it did connect. Was it briefly disabled or was it a fluke?

I've edited this post because the info above changed what I thought had occured. I thought Scorbit was already disabled for JJP.

What is the timeline for JJP games no longer being able to connect to Scorbit?

Quoted from jsa:

I'll only address this one point for clarification. I don't want any misunderstanding.
We totally appreciate your thoughts.
We did not turn off functionality yesterday.
We aren't happy about the way this had to be released as well. They contacted us with a decision to retroactively remove Scorbit from all titles, as stated in the blog post, which was a total surprise to us. We never expected that to be the direction they would take. The decision was sent as an email from the top of the company in response to a request to meet and have a discussion about what our go-forward plan would be.
So in case the Q&A wasn't clear on this, it wasn't the other way around. Regarding yesterday's communication, we wanted to handle this together, after they made that decision, in a thoughtful way. Everyone at JJP was busy, so we were patiently waiting for next steps.
Unfortunately, they stopped responding to our messages entirely in mid February, leaving us completely in the dark of what was happening and when, and announced this on a livestream on Friday. It was heartbreaking. We were immediately flooded with questions and concerns and this forced our hand to communicate and warn our customers what was going on, as we do have that responsibility as an operating business and take it very seriously.
Importantly, unlike a manufacturing company, Scorbit is a live service. We have thousands of live customer connections simultaneously and we absolutely need a real-time relationship with all of our partners, contracted or otherwise. When we need to make changes for performance, reliability, security, or even cost/scale reasons, we will do so for the sake of our customers, relatively frequently, sometimes hourly. We let JJP know in November, December and January that we had a critical change we needed to implement immediately. They began work on it. We wanted to make sure everyone involved had plenty of time to address this so we wouldn't run into a wall. We don't know if this was the breaking point, or if it was related to their own strategic plans, it's up to them to explain this in time.
This entire situation, at least in our opinion, is unnecessary, but unfortunately is reality.

#793 1 year ago
Quoted from jsa:

We did not disable anything, at least not yet. That was a fluke, sort of. We are now hitting the threshold where the old method of connecting will stop working at high volume times. As I mentioned, everyone else has migrated to the new connection type except JJP machines. I think six months is a fair amount of time to migrate, and we even offered to do the migration for them. In order to protect our customers, there will come a point where the traffic will need to be actively cut, as it effectively acts as a DDoS.
As for the timeline of them releasing versions without Scorbit, we have no information, this is up to JJP.

Thanks.
I was incorrect on my #5 point. Or at least it was based on a data point that was inconsistent. I'll edit that post to acknowledge this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 210.00
$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

8,400 (OBO)
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11,000.00
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider altan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scorbit-official-thread?tu=altan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.