Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jellikit
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

daleks pissed (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I remember going to World Wide distributors some decades ago and met Fred Skor. He gave me an official Skor pen and a Skor candy bar. Very nice guy. Years later meeting Doug .

Yep, that creaky wood building a few miles South of Williams on Fullerton. Met some good people there myself.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

And this is why smart workers don't work for companies that make them sign non-competes.

About ten months prior to my retirement eligibility (with full defined benefit pension) I reminded my boss that I will be eligible and will leave unless the COmpaNy did something for me. He pretended to take notes too.
    Obviously, nothing was done so I found a new job that pays more and gave my notice to retire. Filled out the pension nonsense and sent it off.
    On my last day I had my exit interview. They obviously, finally realized I was going somewhere else as I was too young for Medicare and they disCONtinued retiree medical benefits. The HR child slid a non-compete agreement across the table asking me to sign it. I read it and said "I see no payment amount on this nor a time period". She replied with a blank stare. I then replied I'll sign it for one year of my final salary for every year you desire me not to compete.
    She replied that I may not be eligible for my pension if I didn't sign it.
    I laughed at her and pointed to the garbage can where she should throw it. I reminded her the pension was managed by an outside firm and that not only did I CONfirm my eligibility but I also mentioned that it was already approved.

Idiots.

1 week later
    #36 5 years ago

So, when will Stern (or Peterson) announce their acquisition of Chicago Gaming/Churchill Cabinet Co?

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

Unless there was something that we are all missing here, I really don't understand Doug leaving. I wish Doug or CGC would make a statement.

Private companies are under no obligation to make a statement. That said, I believe that Doug was put in place at Stern to ensure an easy transition when the owners of Stern Pinball acquire Churchill/Chicago Gaming.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

It's an interesting theory and I suppose anything is theoretically possible. For now I will group it in with the existence of Bigfoot, the Loch ness monster, the Virgin Mary appearing on a half eaten toast and now Stern buying CGC.

Anyone remember when Bendix attempted to take over Martin-Marietta? That backfired as the smaller company Martin-Marietta launched a hostile takeover of Bendix. They were winning the battle until a white knight was found in Allied Chemical. Maybe Jersey Jack will take over Churchill and Stern. That would be more like the existence of the Loch Ness Monster (Or, Ogopogo for those of you in BC near Lake Okanagan).

Look back at the history of Lenc-Smith (which mostly survives under the Churchill & Chicago Gaming names) The surviving partner, Woody Smith, became a member of the BoD of Bally Manufacturing Corporation (totally by coincidence I'm sure) a few months before Bally acquired Lenc-Smith. Woody remained in charge as president of Lenc-Smith but was more like a General Manager until his retirement.

Filler/Trivia: After Woody retired, his son Bob became the GM of the renamed Bally L-S division. Unfortunately, he got a building CONtractor who did business with Bally to remodel his home as well as his mother's but CONveniently billed the work to Bally as work done at a Bally owned building. That's a felony by the way.

One other bit of trivia, The corporate entity Lenc-Smith Inc. is still a Bally and now Scientific Games corporate holding. Based in Las Vegas, it no longer is associated with the location in Cicero.

#56 5 years ago

Never went during Expo. Went in '80 or '81 when a friend at Bally arranged a tour of the new Bensenville plant for me.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scoop-doug-skor-leaving-chicago-gaming-company-for-stern?tu=mrbally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.