Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jellikit
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

daleks pissed (resized).jpg
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

As editor of Pinball Magazine, I just heard the following from a little bird whispering in my ear: Doug Skor, Vice President of Chicago Gaming Company (CGC), will be leaving the company as he has been hired by . . . Stern Pinball! Doug is currently working his last week at CGC and will start at Stern on May 29th. Stern is likely to send out a press release early next week on Doug being hired with more details on what his role at the company will be. Presumably, Doug's role at Stern will most likely be Director of Export (Sales). As such he will be representing Stern at international trade shows, where (in time) Gary Stern may choose to attend these less often.

At this point, it is not known who will be filling in for Doug's duties at CGC. The departure of Doug Skor should not affect the announcement of CGC's third remake game, although Doug's departure will be leaving a big void at CGC.

The upcoming Pinball Magazine No. 5 will feature an in-depth interview with Doug Skor on his work at CGC. This interview was conducted in March 2018 and it would be a pity not to use the content.

#2 5 years ago

Underrated candy bar

#4 5 years ago

First the wierd wait and now this.....
    Hmmmmmm. Well Lets get the speculation started shall we...

#5 5 years ago

I remember going to World Wide distributors some decades ago and met Fred Skor. He gave me an official Skor pen and a Skor candy bar. Very nice guy. Years later meeting Doug .

#6 5 years ago

Interesting. Any follow up or more detail?

#7 5 years ago

Ashley Davis replaces him

#8 5 years ago

Hate to see Doug leave, but I’m sure it was a good opportunity for him. Hopefully the changes will help Stern improve quality. Guessing this was at least part of the reason for the delay of game 3.

#9 5 years ago

And THAT folks is why smart companies make you sign a non-compete.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Except non-compete's are usually not enforceable. I don't know any tech companies that even attempt them (they are basically illegal in California).

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

The guy has a right to earn a living and most non competes are to restrictive.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

And this is why smart workers don't work for companies that make them sign non-competes.

#13 5 years ago

Isn't the new job description sound like what Gary Stern does?

#14 5 years ago

Gary is over 70, I'm glad he's lightening up his load.

#15 5 years ago

Congrats to the growing team.

I predict price increases on the horizon ....

Inside every box you get to pay for:
    - Export sales director, D. Skor
    - Director of Marketing, Z. Sharpe
    - Director of Parts and Accessories, P. Mandeltort
    - Gary's travel fund and slush fund

Airfare and travel lodging for everyone!

#16 5 years ago

I had the opportunity to meet Doug at TPF; very nice guy. If this indeed comes to pass I do wish him the best!

#17 5 years ago

Job changes are always stressful and exciting at the same time. I wish Doug all the best on his future endeavors.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I remember going to World Wide distributors some decades ago and met Fred Skor. He gave me an official Skor pen and a Skor candy bar. Very nice guy. Years later meeting Doug .

Yep, that creaky wood building a few miles South of Williams on Fullerton. Met some good people there myself.

#19 5 years ago

I thought we were waiting on Doug or Stern to announce ?

It looks like a great deal for all involved. I've worked with Doug, he's a really great guy. People know I admire Gary, especially for keeping the doors open in the toughest times.

Doug will do great filling Gary's shoes so to speak. Gary after years of hard work can have time to do things he enjoys. And everyone remains friends, CGC people and Stern. Doug is that king of guy.

A great day for pinball.

I'll miss working directly with Doug, we'll always be friends !

LTG : )

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I thought we were waiting on...

He didn't call it a scoop for nothin!

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

And this is why smart workers don't work for companies that make them sign non-competes.

About ten months prior to my retirement eligibility (with full defined benefit pension) I reminded my boss that I will be eligible and will leave unless the COmpaNy did something for me. He pretended to take notes too.
    Obviously, nothing was done so I found a new job that pays more and gave my notice to retire. Filled out the pension nonsense and sent it off.
    On my last day I had my exit interview. They obviously, finally realized I was going somewhere else as I was too young for Medicare and they disCONtinued retiree medical benefits. The HR child slid a non-compete agreement across the table asking me to sign it. I read it and said "I see no payment amount on this nor a time period". She replied with a blank stare. I then replied I'll sign it for one year of my final salary for every year you desire me not to compete.
    She replied that I may not be eligible for my pension if I didn't sign it.
    I laughed at her and pointed to the garbage can where she should throw it. I reminded her the pension was managed by an outside firm and that not only did I CONfirm my eligibility but I also mentioned that it was already approved.

Idiots.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

She replied that I may not be eligible for my pension if I didn't sign it.

It's pinside, so I'm expecting someone (an IM LE scalper?) to say "capitalism'.

#23 5 years ago

I'm still afraid that WMS took away the right to make remakes from PPS/CGC. Not renewing the Pinball Arcade license, the long delay to announce remake #3, and now this.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from LuxZ:

I'm still afraid that WMS took away the right to make remakes from PPS/CGC.

Don't be afraid.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from ecmurrayf1:

Hopefully the changes will help Stern improve quality

Quoted from unigroove:

Presumably, Doug's role at Stern will most likely be Director of Export (Sales)

How in the hell is a Director of Export Sales going to have anything to do with quality control?

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

How in the hell is a Director of Export Sales going to have anything to do with quality control?

Ummmmmm.................... maybe that isn't quite accurate.

I'd wait for the official announcement.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from LuxZ:

I'm still afraid that WMS took away the right to make remakes from PPS/CGC. Not renewing the Pinball Arcade license, the long delay to announce remake #3, and now this.

I am afraid you are taking too many drugs and talking shit you know nothing about.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from flashburn:

Except non-compete's are usually not enforceable. I don't know any tech companies that even attempt them (they are basically illegal in California).

Unfortunately, that statement is pretty much inaccurate. I know of two people, in positions that they have no material knowledge of the company, that were their old companies enforced a non-compete and sued. One of the folks didn't realize he signed a non-compete more than 20 years ago! There a pro-business bias in the court system right now, unfortunately, and the little guy loses.

#29 5 years ago

Official announcement:

Stern Pinball Augments Sales Team

Appoints Doug Skor as Director of Export Sales

ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL – May 29, 2018 – Stern Pinball, Inc., a global lifestyle brand based on the iconic and outrageously fun modern American game of pinball, announced today the appointment of Doug Skor as Director of Export Sales. Doug will report to Chief Revenue Officer, John Buscaglia and work alongside Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Gary Stern, to service and grow export markets.

Doug’s past positions include serving as Vice President of the Skor family owned commercial distribution company World Wide Distributing, President of Deutsche Wurlitzer USA, Vice President of EDC Gaming and Vice President of Chicago Gaming Company.

“I have known Doug for decades, both through our families’ friendship and his game business activities. He is well known and experienced in the amusement game industry, both domestically and abroad,” said Gary Stern, CEO of Stern Pinball.

Gary went on, “I am not retiring. With Stern’s growth, I can’t be day-to-day responsive as the export salesman and perform my CEO duties.”
    With a successful 35-year history in commercial and consumer distribution, manufacturing, and operations, Doug brings a vast amount of experience to his new position.

“I’m very excited to be joining Stern Pinball and using my skills and experience to help our distribution partners expand their markets,” Skor stated. “I have a long history of selling Stern Pinball products. I worked in the industry when Gary started the company.”

About Stern Pinball, Inc.
    Stern Pinball, Inc. is a global lifestyle brand based on the iconic and outrageously fun modern American game of pinball. Headquartered minutes from Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport in the heart of North America, the company creates, designs, engineers, manufactures, markets, and distributes a full line of technologically advanced terrestrial and digital pinball games, parts, accessories, and merchandise. Stern Pinball serves digital, consumer, commercial, and corporate markets around the globe.
    Recent Stern Pinball titles include Iron Maiden, Guardians of the Galaxy, Star Wars, Aerosmith, Ghostbusters, KISS, Metallica, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Star Trek, AC/DC, Batman, and Spider-Man. A broad range of players enjoy Stern Pinball’s games from professional pinball players who compete in high-stakes international competitions around the globe to novice players who are discovering the allure of the silver ball for the first time. To join the fun and learn more, please visit www.sternpinball.com.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Stern Pinball, Inc., a global lifestyle brand

oh boy. And they still want to call Pinside a cancer? If pinball is a lifestyle, this is ground zero.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

And they still want to call Pinside a cancer?

Oh I don't know, maybe just a real bad cold!

#32 5 years ago

Ah, the lifestyle brand. How.. Supreme.

#33 5 years ago

Good News for Doug, he is a good egg. Im happy for him.

#34 5 years ago

Alot of speculation which I think is a waste of time.Game 3 coming
    Or BBBR

#35 5 years ago

Whoa, congrats Doug. I hope the CGC team will succeed and continue to offer consumer value to us on here and others. We saw value in their products and bought in to their pinball product line after seeing what they offered us for sale. Best success in the future. Stay Great!!!

#36 5 years ago

So, when will Stern (or Peterson) announce their acquisition of Chicago Gaming/Churchill Cabinet Co?

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

So, when will Stern (or Peterson) announce their acquisition of Chicago Gaming/Churchill Cabinet Co?

Never Chicago Gaming are worth more and have more assets than Stern

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I could see the opposite happening

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from HarryReimer:

Good News for Doug, he is a good egg. Im happy for him.

Quoted from tbutler6:

Whoa, congrats Doug.

I am having a hard time seeing this a positive for Doug. He left a company where he had a much higher position( #2 at GCG) for a lower position at Stern ( part of the sales team?). Stern appears to not be in a better financial position compared to CGC as evidenced by them needed investors with bailout money. It has been speculated by others that Stern himself may be a figurehead at this point and that the investors may really be calling the shots there. I also don't see the opportunity for advancement at Stern without pissing off the old guard that is there now.

CGC's future seems much brighter than Stern's and appears to be in a much better financial position. The remake model appears to be well accepted by the pinball community with original titles on currently on whitewood. Unless there was something that we are all missing here, I really don't understand Doug leaving. I wish Doug or CGC would make a statement.

daleks pissed (resized).jpgdaleks pissed (resized).jpg
    #40 5 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

Unless there was something that we are all missing here, I really don't understand Doug leaving. I wish Doug or CGC would make a statement.

Private companies are under no obligation to make a statement. That said, I believe that Doug was put in place at Stern to ensure an easy transition when the owners of Stern Pinball acquire Churchill/Chicago Gaming.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

...when the owners of Stern Pinball acquire Churchill/Chicago Gaming.

MAKE PLAYFIELDS HARD AGAIN

lol

Hopefully, playfields would be made at CGC again if this became a reality.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I believe that Doug was put in place at Stern to ensure an easy transition when the owners of Stern Pinball acquire Churchill/Chicago Gaming.

It's an interesting theory and I suppose anything is theoretically possible. For now I will group it in with the existence of Bigfoot, the Loch ness monster, the Virgin Mary appearing on a half eaten toast and now Stern buying CGC.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

I am having a hard time seeing this a positive for Doug.

Doug must think it's a positive. Or he wouldn't have done it. He's a pretty smart guy. One of the smartest I've met in the industry.

Quoted from MrBally:

Never.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

Hopefully, playfields would be made at CGC again if this became a reality

Be careful what you ask for...

#45 5 years ago

Not that its my business, but for the sake of a discussion anyone hear anything more? I had a few 30 minute talks with him before and after the start-up of in-house CGC pinball production.

He was REALLY passionate about what they were offering out as a product. Why would someone with those values/motivation go to a company using more of a minimalist engineering standpoint? Polar opposites and high likelyhood for conflict!!! I will go a step further, we agree BOM on CGC must be atleast double so...?

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from tbutler6:

Not that its my business, but for the sake of a discussion anyone hear anything more? I had a few 30 minute talks with him before and after the start-up of in-house CGC pinball production.
    He was REALLY passionate about what they were offering out as a product. Why would someone with those values/motivation go to a company using more of a minimalist engineering standpoint? Polar opposites and high likelyhood for conflict!!! I will go a step further, we agree BOM on CGC must be atleast double so...?

Why would he say anything revealing or against a company he works for to some random pinball fan?

Maybe he got a better offer. It’s business afterall. Stern probably has quite a bit to offer.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from tbutler6:

Why would someone with those values/motivation go to

For a chance to better their situation.

People in coin op do change jobs or businesses. In any industry. People like to advance.

Only Doug can speak for himself. For him, it must be a good opportunity. Or he wouldn't do it.

#48 5 years ago

Money is not always the reason for quitting a job. Sometimes you just gotta say "fuck it" and move on. Even if it means a substantial pay cut. Done that a few times. Never regretted it. Life is too short to stay in a job you hate.

#49 5 years ago

I’m really glad he’s staying in Pinball.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Strange , as I was thinking this as well.

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scoop-doug-skor-leaving-chicago-gaming-company-for-stern?hl=mrudowsky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.