(Topic ID: 331168)

Scooby Doo, Where Are You Club - Ruh Roh!

By u2sean

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

434474111_10231651641410717_2656043841103380976_n (resized).jpg
434187933_10231651641810727_402151276656863168_n (resized).jpg
434218025_10231651641130710_7502388332483788331_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240415-073852 (resized).png
PXL_20240414_195906192 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240414_181554907 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240414_195746420 (resized).jpg
IMG_6048 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6047 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6046 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1368 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1372 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1357 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1374 (resized).jpeg
PS Logo (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #224 Tracker sheet Posted by La4s (1 year ago)

Post #600 LCD Screen Settings suggestions for optimal pop (RnM) Posted by manadams (1 year ago)

Post #601 LCD Screen Settings suggestions for optimal pop (Ultraman) Posted by RussMyers (1 year ago)

Post #1021 IE Pinball streaming an early production Scooby. Posted by Morgoth00 (1 year ago)

Post #1671 Topper height measured. Posted by monitorpop (1 year ago)

Post #1678 Overall height of game with topper. Posted by BKPitmaster (1 year ago)

Post #1792 Mystery machine scoop rejects - flipper power fix Posted by Sethman (1 year ago)

Post #1847 Backbox width measured. Posted by BKPitmaster (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinbolls.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 1 year ago

I hope your early run games are trouble free, enjoy them!

#63 1 year ago

Typically I thought it was whoever got the pinball machine in their possession first. I don't think #32 BallyKiss1978 would meet that criteria. Even if it was to the first home use only pinball.

Quoted from Red_Devils:

I have to say that I agree with PinFever this thread should have been locked it was started 5 days before anything shipped and as he says it does seem like one rule for some but not all. It should have been BallyKISS1978 thread to start he has been cheerleading this game for a long time. Glad to see an operator got a machine but he makes a single post in the hype thread....I hope it's not like the original Bond thread where the OP bails after a few days.
Shame Shame Shame!

1 week later
#683 1 year ago

It's kind of funny how when one concern is addressed, another new concern pops up. After your official stream, the narrative was it's too easy, this will never be a tournament game. Now we have an owner that set the game up hard and essentially answered that question, and now we have a new issue, the game is too HARD!

I've been a voracious consumer of all news Scooby and I can say the critical review didn't even move the needle for me. People should express their honest review of their experience. However, the rest of us less fortunate folks that haven't played Scooby shouldn't let one review determine how we will feel about the game. Yes, it sucks that the Scooby you went to play wasn't setup to complement your skill level, but don't let define your opinion. If it was me I would have walked away and thought, no way in hell will I be playing on Zoinks difficulty ever again, and those outlanes are going to move to an easier setting.

One last note before everyone starts abandoning the Scooby ship. Many people commented on the deadpan expressions of players, first the game was setup hard. No one showed up to get their ass kicked by Scooby and the Gang. Secondly, it's a new game that people have limited exposure to and don't yet understand the rules or how to qualify modes or other things.

If anyone takes something from the review, I would think it would be Spooky personnel. Maybe they could take a look at whether or not the rules are clear or that the machine callouts are making it clear what shot you are supposed to hit. All of this is speculative and opinion on my part, so you are welcome to disagree these are just my thoughts.

Quoted from lpeters82:

If nothing else, that stream really helped to show how the game has different difficulty settings.

#839 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Not great .. but the next reply was a postive step to make it right.
Sure it will work out ...
Prayers for your bigger issues though ...
All the best for tomorrow.

I agree it is great that Spooky is engaged and responsive on Pinside; however, I wish they didn't need to be in regards to quality issues.

#844 1 year ago
Quoted from SLRage:

These issues are not big issues in the grad scheme of things. I have only bought NIB all had to tweak every single one of them day one with No exception. I will have to do the same with SD

I can agree to a point, I've purchased about 8 NIB Stern's. I had an issue with optos on my Deadpool Premium and a shooter rod issue on Rush, but outside of that I can't say I've had to tweek anything else.

I'm not trying to bash on Spooky or make it seem like these issues are bigger than they are. Spooky is ramping up in terms of difficulty of games, so there are going to be growing pains. At some point though, the narrative will have to change. They can't be the underdog forever, nor do I want them to be.

#846 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

It can and should improve with time, they are growing and expanding which gives them an extra challenge with newer employees but your training and Q/A should eventually catch and snuff out these issues.

I agree. If we see these same issues in later runs that is where I would become really concerned. We are early in the run, so some issues are expected.

#847 1 year ago
Quoted from wastedthelight:

Just a reminder, this is a forum that Spooky doesn't have to be on, nor do they need to respond to your concerns so publicly. Don't EXPECT Spooky or anyone else to see your post and respond back.....though it's awesome to see and makes me far...FAR less concerned. I highly recommend going through any company's support using their regular channels provided on their website. This way their entire support team is alerted, it's documented officially, and you've done things according to their SOP. Asking someone from Spooky reach out to you over DM on Pinside is the wrong avenue to take. You should be reaching out to them from, again, official channels (email/phone/whatever they say).

I agree with what you are saying in terms of resolving the issue.

I do think it is a good thing that these items/issues are posted here as well. It's helpful that owners share their issues so future owners know what to expect/look for in terms of possible issues.

#1053 1 year ago

I watched the entire stream, watching Karl on Mystery Machine Multi-ball made me feel sleepy, after the Quadruple Jackpot it felt like I was watching wood being chopped, but less entertaining. Point values were extremely low to be in that part of the Multi-ball. Also something needs to be addressed with the music during that mode. It becomes almost an unbearable loop.

#1057 1 year ago
Quoted from beltking:

Yeah except Karl is like one of the best players so likely we will be drained before the loop of music but yes change that would be good.

I completely understand, Karl is the exception not the rule. However, I can't help but compare Karl's stream to Jack Danger's Foo Fighters stream. They should be around the same code level, but being honest the entire time watching Foo Fighters was enjoyable. There were times watching Scooby where I was actively yawning. This is a problem for me personally, Scooby is my grail theme, but I found myself enjoying watching Foo Fighters more. Also the Foo Fighters theme doesn't even register as a theme I would be interested in. Yet I found myself really into the flow and animations, so much so I put in an order for a Pro model. Also there were really good players, playing FF and it didn't seem like they were absolutely wrecking that pin.

I'm not going to cancel my Scooby order, but I'm definitely at a different point of excitement right now. I'm probably not cut out to be an early adopter. I thought it would be nice to watch Scooby's code grow and it probably will be, but man it's going to be a slow progression, based on what we are seeing with the early code of a Stern product.

#1059 1 year ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

To be fair Karl is a champion level player and was setup on a game that had outlanes nearly closed and was set to an easy difficulty in code. So he had stacked a bazillion ball saves etc

SpookyLuke

I understand and thank you for the response. I watched the same caliber of players on FF, it didn't feel like what I watched with Karl on Scooby. It felt like the pin was defeated, if that makes any sense.

I'm definitely still in on Scooby, I just have some reservations all.

I know this is probably coming across pretty harsh, but it's how I feel. I want Scooby to turn into an amazing irreplaceable pin.

#1060 1 year ago
Quoted from Mcphilld:

Dude you are regurgitating exactly what I said in the chat on Karl’s stream tonight comparing scooby and foo and you defended Spooky…

Man, I definitely didn't intend to regurgitate your points. Sorry if that is the case. I don't think I was actively defending Scooby. I know I wouldn't have said, Foo was bad. I loved that stream and the game. I also said I ordered a Pro on Karl's stream.

I'm trying to remember what I could have said, if you are referring to when I mentioned comparing Spooky to Stern in early code, what I was trying to say is it's not a fair fight. Stern just has way too many resources and top level coders. I was trying to say something similar to having the best college football team go against the worst NFL team. It's not a fair comparison.

#1062 1 year ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

Not a fair comparison to the largest manufacturer with multiple large teams dedicated to each game. FF has three coders, plus at least two people over animations and a sound guy.
Karl's streams are so long, they all can get boring at times.

I completely agree, that is the point I was trying to get across. I probably didn't do a great job. Thanks for clarifying.

I just re-read my previous post that you down voted, I was wrong. I did actively compare the two. You are right, that isn't fair. I thing I'm a little tired and talking out both sides of my mouth. It was a fair call out on your part.

#1065 1 year ago

I think he is talking about me, not you.

#1068 1 year ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Gotcha, I guess he mistakenly quoted me. Lol.

No worries, just wanted to reign you in before you got too riled up.

#1112 1 year ago

Haha, fair point! I think bond is a result of a difficult slow licensing issue.

Quoted from K9Marshal:

Tell that to Bond owners lol

#1336 1 year ago
Quoted from theadicts77:

Yet the game costs 10k all the same.

Yep, $3k lower than a Stern LE.

#1906 1 year ago

Almost time for me, #301. Strange you seem to be the only one above #250 to say they paid. Did they give you a timeline to expect shipping?

Quoted from rockrand:

#268 paid just had to get in on the fun even though I did not receive any request!

#2020 1 year ago

So I finally gave in and decided to go play a Scooby Doo. There is one about an hour and a half away. To be honest, I had to go play it. After Karl DeAngelo's stream I was having serious second thoughts about Scooby Doo.

So here are my thoughts. The first is the game looks gorgeous as you walk up to it. When you look a little closer there are a few concerns. The first I noticed was the stand up targets are pretty beat up and already had damage on the stickers. One of the stand-ups appears to be partially broken as it is hanging off to the side. Another thing is the lockdown bar was extremely loose. The white inserts for the modes and characters are bland and look unfinished. I think Spooky thought the RBG would overcome this issue of blandness, but it doesn't. I have a similar issue in respect for the 2 three drop target banks. They look bland and unfinished. They could have easily made them colorful like the actual Scooby snacks boxes. Are these huge issues, absolutely not. Just things I observed.

In regards to the lcd screen, I've always had an issue with the font and the way the clue found text looks on the screen. I don't know what I expected , but it looks poorly Integrated into the screen. I guess I expected them to use the same font they used on the backglass for the game's title. It looks like someone just inserted a text box on the screen, without thought to integrating the font style into the theme.

The scenes before modes are great, no complaints.

Onto the gameplay, which is the most important thing for me. The shots are all pretty easy to hit on the lower playfield. The horseshoe shots are satisfying and return safely to the flippers. The two three drop banks seem pointless at this stage of the code. The two three drop target banks do a good job of guiding the ball to the inlane. The center ramp is easy to hit and the drop target between the flippers prevents frustrating center drains. The spinner shots are ok, I can't place the reason, but they aren't as satisfying as they could be. I think it may be because they have structure over top of them. I like my spinners out in the open to see all their spinning glory. The spinner sound is great and the sling sounds are well integrated.

The upper playfield is different. The Cutler shots are fine, but all the shots off to the right are underwhelming. The ball seems to trickle to the ramps then lazily fall down the wireforms. Maybe the operator turned down the flipper strength. I want reasons to be on the upper playfield that are short in duration. Maybe this is because I don't find the shots satisfying up there. The bookcase flipper is interesting, but it was weak on the Scooby I played so the shots to the right side were very underwhelming. Also I didn't expect the upper playfield to be as big as it is. It's huge.

I played for about 2 hrs, we were the only ones there at Ocelot Brewery. I was able to play most of the modes over the course of the 2 hrs. The Creeper mode seems to be the easiest to complete. It's not always clear to me during the trap phase what to shoot at. One specific callout said to shoot the cemetery, I had zero clue where that shot is on the playfield, nor could I see an insert flashing to tell me the shot. Miner 49er was difficult, I think my best effort was three of the four shots. Space Kook and Captain Cutler are fun. I do wish they could find a way to allow multiball with modes.

The mystery machine multiball took a little time to figure out, but it was fun once I started to get it. I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to do in Captain Cutler.

I went to play Scooby, because I needed some serious reassurance that my decision to get Scooby was the right decision. I honestly can't say that I feel any better after playing it. The lower playfield shots are satisfying, the upper playfield offsets most of that satisfaction. When I'm bashing Captain Cutler, I want to bash Captain Cutler, not lazily watch the ball gently caress his helmet. At this point I'm still where I was before I played it. Unsure of whether or not to go through with the purchase. I know the code will get better and that will help, I'm just not sure it will be enough.

#2023 1 year ago

SpookyLuke,

I'll admit I should have checked the pitch. Good point!

Quoted from SpookyLuke:

Sounds like the operator has his game pitched very flat. 7 degrees is recommended

#2038 1 year ago

I take Buffalo with a grain of salt on Spooky. They have valid points, but I feel the needle would have to move in ways not possible for them to even consider changing their opinion on Spooky. They are well entrenched into their position on Spooky and unfortunately there are enough valid concerns still out there to support their position. It doesn't matter how trivial the issue, if it's an issue it supports them staying in their current position.

Quoted from kevster:

Alright folks, I might need some talking down.
I'm currently in line with SD #401. I've never bought a NIB pinball before. Obviously, reading through this thread has been a wild ride. Lots of issues, which doesn't seem too surprising as it's early. But some of the build quality issues are alarming. And that was just heightened by a podcast episode I listened to.
I recently started listening to "Bro, do you even talk pinball." I find it entertaining with generally good info. On their recent episode, they both just laid into Spooky as a pinball manufacturer. And I mean, they let em have it. Talking about issues their past pins have had, things not working out of the box, shoddy soldering jobs, all sorts of things. I'll be honest; it really got me worried. I know Spooky is active on here and everyone says how good their customer service is, and that's awesome. But how concerned should I be that these build quality issues keep coming up on all of their releases?
Believe me, I WANT to be convinced to stick with my pre-order because I think the game looks very fun. But 10 grand is A LOT of money to throw at a company that doesn't appear to be learning much from their past mistakes.
I don't mean to be so negative. I've been hyped about this from the time I first learned about it. I'm hoping to hear some positive things that will convince me to get hyped again. Hearing what I did in that podcast was a bit shocking though. Am I putting too much stock in the opinions of just a couple dudes?

#2040 1 year ago

Are you referring to the ball being stuck in the left horseshoe? That was the only issue I encountered in my 2 hr play session today. Ball search didn't resolve it for me, I had to give the machine a little shake to coax it out.

Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Got stuck again. Ughh
[quoted image]

#2114 1 year ago

The only long stop for me was at mode start and waiting on the ball to come out from the mystery machine. Also the scoop to the left takes a while to pop out. I did get one ball hangup in the left horseshoe.

Thanks for the review. I felt the game did just enough for me to keep my order in .

Quoted from Aurich:

Played Scooby last night with a friend, so played and got to watch so I could pay attention to things. Just my quick thoughts:
My honest take is it's clunky but charming. Things I enjoyed:
The art is great. Really captures the Scooby vibe. The LCD stuff is mostly pretty good, I don't love the typography choices, but I'm admittedly pickier than most. Instruction text was clear though. Cartoons make for good clip content (mostly, see below).
Sculpts and powder coated wireforms all look great.
The bookcase flipper is really unique. That's no small thing, not often you get an actual original flipper in pinball, hats off to the team for the whole idea. It's super on-theme, the way you use it to capture a ball shot to the upper playfield is clever, and learning how to use it without flinging the ball, or, learning to fling the ball on purpose was fun.
Modes and objectives seemed pretty clear, wasn't hard to figure out what to do. Though I got the Captain Cutler multiball but I wasn't entirely sure why. Like, clearly I was bashing him to get it, but the various lights on him and the targets and lanes around him were confusing, I couldn't tell if I was supposed to move my shots around, if I got it because I just hit him enough times, or what.
I thought it was fun enough, even with my complaints below. If you're a Scooby fan it felt very on theme.
Things I didn't love:
The drop banks on the left are awkward and don't feel particularly useful or enjoyable. I love drop targets, but they don't seem interesting to shoot, and mostly just seemed to get in the way of the ball in sort of dribbly ways.
I'm just not a big upper playfield fan, in general, and this one is kinda dominant. The bookcase flipper is awesome, and makes it more interesting, but it still has the fundamental problem with that kind of upper playfield, which is that the physics of the ball in a small area (it's big, but not that big) just aren't super fun, and they are by their very nature safe, since your only penalty is to go back down to the lower.
With the big upper playfield and the Mystery Mobile and lock behind it you basically cannot see the entire back of the game. So you spend a lot of time shooting up into lanes, the ball vanishes, and then you wait to see what happens. Sometimes it come back out right away, sometimes it doesn't, and it was never really clear if it was being held on purpose or stuck or slow or what. There's just no visual feedback of the ball path, and I didn't enjoy that.
The game felt very stop and go. As I said it wasn't clear sometimes if it was even meant to stop. I'm still not sure why the ball took longer to come back some shots. The clips to start a mode look nice, but are very long, I wish they were edited to be more punchy. There's just a lot of time spent waiting, and the rhythm of it felt slow.
Overall the game felt very easy. The middle flipper drop target save seemed up a lot. It's clear once you learn it a bit more that ball times will be long. That's good or bad depending on your taste. I think for the theme it's cool that it's more kid friendly.
Overall I thought it was fun and pretty, but also clunky, and not overly interesting to shoot. A lot of basic fan shots that disappear under things until they come back, so you never see the ball curve, just shoot straight up, wait, it comes straight down. Not being able to see the ball a lot, or seeing it a lot on the upper playfield which is slower by nature, meant the game didn't feel very kinetic.
I'd play it again on location, but for me not seeing the ball movement is a design flaw that would make it not my first choice to play.
[quoted image]

#2117 1 year ago

They stay lit, but the ones you need to hit still flash.

Quoted from Aurich:

Will the footprints go out? Because things were still lit when it started off bashing him which is why I was confused. Maybe I hit enough.

#2120 1 year ago

That is what SpookyLuke said as well. I bet you are both right!

I should be able to post a valid opinion to the owner's forum come late April or early May when my Scooby Doo is delivered.

Quoted from RebelGuitars:

Sounds like the game might need an increase in pitch.

#2374 1 year ago

The circular standups don't seem to be holding up well to direct hits. The one on the right side of the center ramp looks beat up like the one I saw on the machine I played.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Well… we uncovered a new hidden feature!
Disappearing stand ups.
[quoted image]
Easy fix…
[quoted image]
But it made me look at all the other standups and most we’re already loose. So go in and check those puppies out.
One other was out completely… and that hole was stripped. They are only using small #6 wood screws.
But next issue is those light pcbs are just a tad too big and obstruct reaching the hex screws with a nut driver…. You have to use a slotted driver for about half of them.
Get that trimmer tool out in the pcb design spooky and shrink those boards that 1/16 or so needed
[quoted image]
But plastic bumper lift has held up fine . Those we already ate through first set of flipper rubber.

#2385 1 year ago

Not worried about the decals, I'm referring to the actual target. The target looks like it's already leaning to the right, as if the circle part of the target is breaking.

Quoted from flynnibus:

I think people are getting too worried about target decals.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 17.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

8,199 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 99.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
HurryUpPinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rogers, AR
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 79.99
$ 23.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 9,699.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 14.95
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinbolls.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scooby-doo-where-are-you-club-scooby-snacks-for-all?tu=pinbolls and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.