(Topic ID: 331168)

Scooby Doo, Where Are You Club - Ruh Roh!

By u2sean

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,616 posts
  • 635 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by Indypin
  • Topic is favorited by 300 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2054 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1352 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0426 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8879 (resized).jpeg
434474111_10231651641410717_2656043841103380976_n (resized).jpg
434187933_10231651641810727_402151276656863168_n (resized).jpg
434218025_10231651641130710_7502388332483788331_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240415-073852 (resized).png
PXL_20240414_195906192 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240414_181554907 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240414_195746420 (resized).jpg
IMG_6048 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6047 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6046 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1368 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #224 Tracker sheet Posted by La4s (1 year ago)

Post #600 LCD Screen Settings suggestions for optimal pop (RnM) Posted by manadams (1 year ago)

Post #601 LCD Screen Settings suggestions for optimal pop (Ultraman) Posted by RussMyers (1 year ago)

Post #1021 IE Pinball streaming an early production Scooby. Posted by Morgoth00 (1 year ago)

Post #1671 Topper height measured. Posted by monitorpop (1 year ago)

Post #1678 Overall height of game with topper. Posted by BKPitmaster (1 year ago)

Post #1792 Mystery machine scoop rejects - flipper power fix Posted by Sethman (1 year ago)

Post #1847 Backbox width measured. Posted by BKPitmaster (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TreyBo69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#470 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Wow, FL-11629 coils seem way overpowered for a small upper playfield. I was expecting a FL-11630.
Thanks for posting the pics!

They control the flippers with PWM so it doesn't really matter since the software will control how strong it actually is. I think all Spooky flippers are 11629? Easier to manage parts that way too.

#479 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

PWM or no, more windings equals more accumulated heat potential, especially since they can't do sub 1ms duty cycles in hold due to hardware limitations of their boardsets. Spooky has some of the highest coil temps over time out there. I thought they'd be addressing that any way they can. But, maybe The Warden has better duty cycle timing ability. We shall see.

Better for selling your expensive fan kits though

#483 1 year ago

And also so what if the upper flippers fade. Look at what you’re shooting (ie not ramps) and git good

#629 1 year ago

You might be able to make a small wire/plastic to wedge there so there isn’t enough vertical clearance for a ball + drop stack. Or a clear flat plastic over the area.

Worst case cut the wire form a hair?

#989 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Looks like ball search can be problematic…
The game can’t drop the drop target between the flippers. So a ball released during a ball search can get stuck here… game doesn’t flip the flippers or drop the target… so dead game until someone opens the door [quoted image]

that's at least easy to fix in code...just update the ball search routine to drop the drop

I like the center drop. Hope they do some interesting rules with it (Super Mario Brothers has a neat use of it. Start a 2 ball MB, lock the balls without dropping the drop to start a 3 ball MB)

#991 1 year ago

also should probably make sure the tilt routine auto drops the middle drop too

#995 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Do the drop targets even have a drop feature? They may only b able to reset?

the center drop has a knockdown coil, the two banks of three don't have a knockdown coil

#1431 1 year ago
Quoted from wastedthelight:

Are game schematics not a thing any more?

With Spooky they've never been a thing...

#1680 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

One thing I keep overlooking is how good the topper looks and that it DOESN'T get stuck in Redundant Logo Marketing Hell like some Sterns have.
Games like TMNT, JP...etc. have those logo toppers, then with the logo on the BG, then the logo on the speaker panel tag, then on the PF, then on the apron, then on the cabinet... as if you forgot what game it was while your eyes scrolled 2".
The topper for SD looks great because it complements the BG, not duplicating it.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I remember hearing someone at Stern saying the licensor required the logo on the TMNT topper, which is why the logo part of the topper is very easily removed by the user (if they so choose)

#1969 1 year ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Bally D&D has a painted ramp

Is it painted or just blue plastic?

#2371 1 year ago

I may be mistaken, but I believe a traditional playfield is 17/32” plywood that gets routed, inserts, planed down, then art and clear are applied and polished for a final thickness of 1/2”

I think Spooky starts with 1/2” ply? Or maybe they did in the past? So it’s only slightly thinner

Pretty sure American Pinball has the same playfield vendor too

1 week later
#2957 1 year ago

Replace all the sculpts with Scrappy. Spite hard

1 week later
#3357 1 year ago

Between the family friendly theme and a fairly approachable layout, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a sleeper hit among a lot of families.

#3361 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I've said it many times, it's amazing it took so long for someone to make a Scooby game especially with the live-action movie being released in the early 2000s. I'm extremely happy it's the OG one though!

Well besides picking a good theme that is multigenerational, they didn't do something like Stern TMNT which seems like it should be a family/kid friendly game but it is a relatively punishing layout.

#3419 1 year ago

Coil orientation doesn’t matter for operation; it’s an electromagnet pulling metal inward. But for best reliability the coil lugs should be opposite of the coil stop. It puts less vibration/stress on the solder joints. (It’s not that big of a deal to do it the other way, but there is a preference)

So that would be the lugs farther away from the playfield for those vuk mechs.

#3591 1 year ago

CSI Pinball should have been this conversation. Enhance!

#3673 1 year ago

I’m pretty skeptical it’s a code issue vs there’s a random short to find in a few particular games.

#3907 1 year ago

I played a lot of Scooby this past weekend. A few unsolicited thoughts:

- Amazing art package. It truly is a stunner. The colorful RGB light shows work well with the theme. I don't like the green plastic protectors though. It also doesn't look good when you are walking by the game and see the large gap between the apron and the lockdown bar.
- I don't think this had the most latest code which made the autolauncher and van faster. I now know what people mean when they complained about them.
- I like how easy it is to start a mystery. I believed I played all the mysteries in the game? Charlie the Robot was ok with a great light show. Captain Cutler is a bit complex but I like the idea. Miner 49er is an incredibly clever mode. I don't remember the miner character or how it relates to the show, but it's a fun and unique mode. I wonder what casual players think of it, because it could be really tough for them? Space Kook was fine. The Creeper, boo mashing action buttons lol. Black Knight is an interesting mode that is kinda long. I know you can dip your paint brush in the red slings on the regular playfield, but because of the green plastic protectors it is not obvious at all that those are red. I only knew from having heard that in a stream. Zombie mode is fine. Some of the mode ideas are very creative overall, though maybe too complex? There needs to be some balancing in difficulty and scoring for sure.
- Sounds are a bit all over the place. It needs a lot more music variety. I love the random sling noises. Sometimes the game would be very quiet. Maybe it was loading sound tracks?
- love the van honking and flashing its lights before it releases a ball
- Lower flippers are snappy (maybe too strong?). None of the shots were too difficult to find, though I never could understand why some of my center ramp shots would reject because I can't see it.
- Bookcase flipper is a neat gimmick
- Upper playfield is very slow and very floaty. I'm not saying that's a pro or a con. It's very unique.
- Overall the game is a pretty easy player out of the box. We had a tournament round called early on it and took it out for the rest of the day. Needs outlane rubbers removed, post to lower setting and possibly removed, and maybe even pull the upper PF center post.
- +1 to the recommendation to having the option to disable the drop target save. Can you stack the ball saves? It just seems like my center drop was up a lot. Sometimes it would pop right back up after being activated. Heck sometimes a slow ball can come to rest on the drop and not knock it down. Maybe make it a temporary ball save and knock the drop back down after 10 seconds or so?
- I have no idea what the inlane inserts are supposed to be doing, if anything

#3930 1 year ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Is the standard play field lighting enough, or do I need to look into Pinstadiums?

The upper playfield is a bit dark (by design) but the playfield is about as well lit as most games. I thought it was fine in a dimly lit room.

I also think the RGB lighting stands out more when it’s not being washed out by a lot of white light. There’s more contrast that way, which is good because the game is heavily reliant on a mix of RGB lighting. (Without being overwhelming like some JJP rainbow fests)

#3986 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

That seems overly generous in protection geez. I can see why some folks thought the early models were waaaay to easy

It's pretty easy playing in general. Mostly safe shots that aren't hard to find and without too many dangerous targets (ie no big bash toy). And if you're missing shots, the SD standups bring up the ball save drop. The need some code options to disable the drop save, or have it auto drop after so many seconds. You can stay on the upper playfield for a long time once you get used to how floaty it is. (Some may want to pull the upper PF center post, or at least take off the rubber)

The game tries to make it up by making the modes more elaborate/complex. But the ball times are pretty long overall.

Maybe now that there are reasons to shoot the drops, that may help speed up ball times.

#3988 1 year ago
Quoted from Svenop:

That's up from the lower stock position. Id be surprisded if operators were removing them and moving them up to that position

The one I just saw unboxed, the posts were installed in the high spot. Maybe it's inconsistent from the factory.

As an aside I looked at the TWIP article for Scooby Doo and noticed their prototype didn't seem to have any adjustments. So I'm glad they tweaked that. (Halloween/Ultraman also didn't have them)

#4049 12 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Return spring changes the return power. For the bookcase flipper. Upping flipper power won’t affect that.

yeah it would, the flipper has to work harder to flip up by overcoming the stronger spring

might not be noticeable in practice, but the coil is working harder and heating up faster (not that fade would be much of an issue on that upper playfield)

#4233 11 months ago

It sounds like a short or bad connector you have to track down

#4242 11 months ago

Has Spooky released a manual yet? You might be able to narrow down the hunt for a short if you are seeing the same set of transistors fail. Or at least you could start to isolate parts of the circuits. Pretty hard to find shorts though in general, and really hard without a wiring diagram of some kind.

#4245 11 months ago

Best of luck. I struggle to understand this chart

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I'd spend a lot of time looking at the stuff that has broken on all the boards, both upstream and downstream

#4250 11 months ago

Wrong pin out on a connector would make a lot of sense if the game is trying to pulse something that isn’t equipped for the pulse they’re sending it, but may not explain the cascade of failures. But this is all speculation. I do think these issues are build specific, not specific to game code. It’s just odd to go with it’s a code issue when it seems like hardware issue as it affects a minority of units.

#4251 11 months ago

If Spooky published a wiring diagram, which they should anyways, I think the community would be more than willing to help a few users with issues. It would help lighten Spooky’s support load. But right now it’s the blind leading the blind.

#4308 11 months ago

The main Scooby background track loop has been stuck in my head for days. It's been a week since I played. It's just so earwormy.

#4536 11 months ago

Hide clues on the website to solve the mysterious beta update url

#4569 11 months ago

I was reading the Scooby wiki about Captain Cutler to remember who he was. (Spoiler) It’s interesting that it’s actually someone who faked their death and is pretending to be their own ghost.

Maybe you can strategically drain a ball, and get a reward. Fake your death like CC did.

#4587 11 months ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

I’ve been prompted to use the action button for something LOL not sure what it was because I’m just getting used to the game and haven’t looked at the screen much.

The creeper mode involves mashing the button. I don't think the button is used for anything else yet?

#4620 11 months ago

Generally I prefer points to be earned in single ball play vs multiball play. How they can and cant stack is important. But agreed they need some work

Maybe they could make multiple different Cutler multiballs. The second time you play it, locks are harder and the actual objectives are more complex (limited flips, limited hold, reverse, etc)

#4621 11 months ago

What about a reverse flipper multiball mode where the upper and lower flippers are doing different things?

Press the left flipper and the lower right flipper goes up while the book case goes down. Let go and they switch. Vice versa for the right flipper button. Some nonsense that makes you go jinkies!

#4623 11 months ago

I love stuff like Mystery Spot after earning it by doing some other jazz. It’s great how Houdini lets you make straight jacket multiball more complicated for more points.

#4625 11 months ago

Like Zoinks Man Multiball

#4654 11 months ago

I can see disabling the bookcase to keep the player from hanging out up there, but it introduces confusion to the player for why they sometimes work and don't. It can be frustrating for them to not flip when the player thinks they should be flipping.

The "wear" is minimal, especially in a home setting.

At least that has been the attitude of game programmers with extra flippers on the playfield. Just let them flip. It's better to flip than to not flip when the player expects it to. Also avoids an issue if the opto doesn't work, but the ball is still getting up there.

#4657 11 months ago

Because there's more downside than upside to killing flippers in mini playfields. If the switch detecting balls entering the Mando Helmet is broken, then the whole toy is basically broken. And the game could get confused during multiball about where everything is.

#4667 11 months ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

We can probably add a menu option, so users can decide to have them enabled or disabled. We discussed the option, but when Halloween / Ultraman shipped we had high percentage of people saying there upper flipper were broken due to it not activating until the qualification was complete.

Related tangent, was HW/UM updated to have that option to not kill the flippers when you’re in the mode select/store menu? I ask because I’ve seen occasional bugs where it disables the flipper to use that function, but the lifter serves up a ball while the lower flippers are disabled. It’s probably the most maddeningly frustrating bug you can run into and the poster example of why it’s not worth the unnecessary complexity to reduce wear by a minimal amount. It’s the worst way to lose a ball

#4746 11 months ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

I'm a serial restarter. I like the idea of starting out strong, so I have no shame hitting that start button.
It's your game, in your home, if you want to play naked with condoms on your fingers, it's your prerogative.

That random example seems very specific

#4807 11 months ago

Maybe they can add some options in the code to notice a player hasn't done anything on the upper playfield, and then automatically divert the bookcase on a center ramp shot so they get a chance up there.

A lot of players hardly notice/use upper flippers to begin with, and you need to know to use the bookcase as a diverter. There's not a lot of time to react if you aren't expecting it. (Maybe add some speech callouts too to remind the player?)

2 weeks later
#5322 10 months ago

How many characters would I need to do a code injection to drop everyone else's name off the leaderboard...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
2 weeks later
#5620 10 months ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Yess!
Going forward, it would be best if all games had a jazz hands routine.

he can shake his hands for a little "applause" when you get the GC

3 weeks later
#6131 9 months ago
Quoted from jbigdoggf:

Thanks !
That makes sense but the N and T threw me off

For all the fans of Scooby’s Snooty cousin

#6222 9 months ago
Quoted from Pugster:

As someone above said, copyright issue. It’s why the guy in the mine cart is Shannon and not Shaggy. If there’s glue residue though maybe better to come with a bag of letters and nothing at all on the apron. Then the final customer can put whatever they want on there without getting the lawyers involved.

I'd love to see a lawyer actually use that as a defense to see how long it works lol

Quoted from qbass187:

One of the issues is that Spooky uses 2 different thickness playfields on Scooby and apparently there is no rhyme or reason to it, as confirmed by AJ.

That's so weird... I thought Bader made all their playfields? I guess they can't get a consistent source for plywood?

1 week later
#6388 9 months ago

I love this idea. You guys are coming up with some really clever modes for this game.

6 months later
#10209 88 days ago
Quoted from gorditas:

Toured the factory today and saw my first Butter Scooby: truly something to behold.
[quoted image]

Were they building a new Rick and Morty in that photo?

3 weeks later
#10676 63 days ago
Quoted from Arcdeeth:

The eagle has landed! [quoted image]

Nice. Take extra photos. I don't think there are many, if any, photos of the standard model

or is that a BSE?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 154.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Fargo, ND
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 23.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.50
$ 79.99
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TreyBo69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scooby-doo-where-are-you-club-scooby-snacks-for-all?tu=TreyBo69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.