(Topic ID: 331168)

Scooby Doo, Where Are You Club - Ruh Roh!

By u2sean

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,655 posts
  • 635 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by MrMikeman
  • Topic is favorited by 299 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6192 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
ring (resized).jpg
IMG_3763 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0069 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6427 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240419_230300967 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240419_230352522 (resized).jpg
IMG_3942 (resized).png
IMG_2054 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1352 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0426 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8879 (resized).jpeg
434474111_10231651641410717_2656043841103380976_n (resized).jpg
434187933_10231651641810727_402151276656863168_n (resized).jpg
434218025_10231651641130710_7502388332483788331_n (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 11,655 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 234.
#501 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I haven't tested Ghostbusters yet (on the "to do list"), but like I said before, whether the Heck board, PROC3, or Pinotaur, all stock Spooky have temperature issues, and for most of them it comes on FAST.
Here's Halloween's temp chart. Left flipper enters the fade zone in literally about 10 minutes. Confirms what your experience is.
[quoted image]
It's super geeky - I think Scooby looks fun, but I'm most excited to see how their new board The Warden manages coil temps for the game in regular play and with lots of hold like a trap player would do.

What would an ideal graph look like? Or at least good enough?

#502 1 year ago
Quoted from honkbahh:

What would an ideal graph look like? Or at least good enough?

For modern pins, temps below 130F are the goal to avoid fade. For SAM/Whitestar machines, the threshold is lower, it seems to be around 100F. Active cooling from the cooling kits I sell (or a good DIY job) can keep the modern pins below about 120F for the most part. Lower than that for SAM/Whitestar, but testing isn't complete on machines with those boardsets yet.

Another bonus of active cooling most people don't think of (and I didn't either) is coils look and perform like new longer. I moved a fan kit on a GnR that had cooling from day one and the coils still looked like brand new after about 18 months of use.

#503 1 year ago
Quoted from jonahk:

We have discovered that the game will not show total scores at the end of multiplayer games, only the high scores.
This is a huge bummer for any of our competitive players and may exclude this from our tournament this weekend.
SpookyLuke I hope we're missing something simple here? (Or there is a code update coming before Sunday, pretty please?

Just added last game scores to the attract screen. I'll playtest it tomorrow, er... today, and if it looks good, I'll push it to the website Saturday night. It'll contain some minor bugfixes too.

The magnetic speaker panels look awesome! Definitely considering the mystery machine style one.

Precision flippers looking pretty cool too!! Note that you might have to drill and tap your own holes into the bat if you intend to use them on the bookcase flipper, but shouldn't be too problematic otherwise.

Upper flippers are set around to around 50% power by default (bookshelf flipper is slightly higher), and all the shots are close and flat, so I really doubt those upper flippers would *ever* experience fade. I haven't seen or heard about anybody getting fade on the lower flippers yet either, but I'll be interested to see what data PinMonk records!

#504 1 year ago
Quoted from spooky_dj:

Upper flippers are set around to around 50% power by default (bookshelf flipper is slightly higher), and all the shots are close and flat, so I really doubt those upper flippers would *ever* experience fade. I haven't seen or heard about anybody getting fade on the lower flippers yet either, but I'll be interested to see what data PinMonk records!

I'm not expecting to see fade on the upper flippers, either - at least not in a loss of power. MAYBE a change in timing if they get to 130F or above, but that's all I expect after a long-ish session. It's just weird that Spooky's putting the biggest, most powerful flipper coil size up there when a coil size 2 notches or so below (like JJP and others do with no degradation of play) that will work fine. But I will post temps from all the flippers when I test Scooby.

I'll be happy to test it sooner if you expedite my 300-ish number machine delivery. After a desert of releases, it looks like there's an impending avalanche of new pins coming - Scooby, Foo Fighters, Twilight Zone, Harry Potter (or whatever Godfather really is), and Galactic Tank Force. That's a LOT of pins in just a few months. Feast or famine.

#505 1 year ago

I experienced flipper fading on the upper PF of my ACNC as well as on the lower PF. After some time it became nearly impossible to backhand the Frankenstein ramp from the left flipper or to succed the ramp on the upper PF for the second Frankenstein lock. Installation of DIY fans on all three flipper coils solved the problem for me.

Since flipper coils on the Scooby Doo upper PF are activated simultaneously to the coils on the lower playfield, especially in trap play I would expect some effects…

#506 1 year ago
Quoted from DrBernd:

I experienced flipper fading on the upper PF of my ACNC as well as on the lower PF. After some time it became nearly impossible to backhand the Frankenstein ramp from the left flipper or to succed the ramp on the upper PF for the second Frankenstein lock. Installation of DIY fans on all three flipper coils solved the problem for me.
Since flipper coils on the Scooby Doo upper PF are activated simultaneously to the coils on the lower playfield, especially in trap play I would expect some effects…

I added some DIY fans on my Godzilla. Batman 66 next, then Halloween and Scooby when I get it next week. I used 5 volt USB fans, and a USB hub that plugs into the service outlet. And dense foam as a spacer with zip ties. Just had to drill out the holes and make them larger for the zip ties to go through. Cost me $25 for the 6 fans and USB hub, and still have 3 fans left.

9FBD5772-5A91-4266-9DD6-12DE0B22925A (resized).jpeg9FBD5772-5A91-4266-9DD6-12DE0B22925A (resized).jpeg63215970-C34E-46D2-8999-4A1F13F809A4 (resized).jpeg63215970-C34E-46D2-8999-4A1F13F809A4 (resized).jpeg0831231F-C363-4ED8-BD6C-FC9B996E9E12 (resized).jpeg0831231F-C363-4ED8-BD6C-FC9B996E9E12 (resized).jpeg45736FB8-4C02-4DBA-9F3A-7E8C43AF78AD (resized).jpeg45736FB8-4C02-4DBA-9F3A-7E8C43AF78AD (resized).jpeg

#507 1 year ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

I added some DIY fans on my Godzilla. Batman 66 next, then Halloween and Scooby when I get it next week. I used 5 volt USB fans, and a USB hub that plugs into the service outlet. And dense foam as a spacer with zip ties. Just had to drill out the holes and make them larger for the zip ties to go through. Cost me $25 for the 6 fans and USB hub, and still have 3 fans left.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's only ~1.8CFM air flow so you might run into trouble on Halloween and Scooby that need more airflow to dissipate significant heat. They're a whole 'nother universe of heat. Also, those fans are cheap so you can dispose of them with not much financial pain, but mounting them on the coils so close will cause them to fail much sooner than their rated life due to the magnetic field of the coils. A little larger space from the coil is better to prolong life of the fans closer to rated values.

#508 1 year ago
Quoted from DrBernd:

I rarely see it utilized, but Scooby does have staged flippers! So, if you do have the desire and skill, you could flip the bottom flippers without flipping the top ones. Likewise, it also helps in multiball! You can trap up several balls on the lower flippers so you can focus on playing one ball on the upper playfield! It'd be neat to implement some rules/scoring that rewards players that can pull that off. Of course new rules and modes are to come as the code develops

#509 1 year ago

Saw this gameplay video posted by great American pinball

#510 1 year ago
Quoted from spooky_dj:

Just added last game scores to the attract screen. I'll playtest it tomorrow, er... today, and if it looks good, I'll push it to the website Saturday night. It'll contain some minor bugfixes too.

AWESOME! Thank you. I'm sending an email over to service today with a few things we've tweaked over the course of the first 100 or so credits. Our customers LOVE this game so far. We expect it to be a huge hit.

#511 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Stern keeps kicking out turds.

Not here to criticize other manufacturers or games…actually own a Dead Pool…that we thoroughly enjoy, BUT IMHO there is no comparison when you compare the unique nature of Spooky games and price point with those of other manufacturers. What tends to bother me most is when I see a game like Bond 007 ranked as 20th in the Pinside Top 100 with R&M in the mid/late 20’s and Halloween in the late 60’s early 70’s routinely. I agree on some of those higher spots for Sterns and other manufacturers games but some titles make me wonder relative to how they are ranked. Haven’t played Scooby yet but looking forward to playing it and owning it in a few months. Hope it gets some love in those ratings from enthusiasts that crave something a bit different. From what I have been able to discern from this forum topic and the ratings already posted, it deserves it!

#512 1 year ago
Quoted from BKPitmaster:

I didn't watch the whole thing but I am digging the vibe with the lights and music to set the mood at the start of the mysteries.

#513 1 year ago

So with Foo inbound is the Danger stream still a thing? I imagine he will be pretty busy promoting his own design. Hope it is, although I’m sure now he’s going to find himself in a trickier situation when it comes to what is essentially promoting other manufacturers pins.

I hope that Stern gives him the go-ahead and he’s player number 5 with the Spooky crew!

#514 1 year ago
Quoted from jakedistel:

What tends to bother me most is when I see a game like Bond 007 ranked as 20th in the Pinside Top 100 with R&M in the mid/late 20’s and Halloween in the late 60’s early 70’s routinely.

Please do not pay attention to the top 100 board. It is meaningless.

#515 1 year ago
Quoted from BKPitmaster:

So, why aren't the speaker grill lights doing anything in this video? I bought my R&M from the original buyer and for some insane reason he didn't get the light up speakers and I hate it.

#516 1 year ago
Quoted from Var1AbL3:

So, why aren't the speaker grill lights doing anything in this video? I bought my R&M from the original buyer and for some insane reason he didn't get the light up speakers and I hate it.

Not my video so idk

#517 1 year ago
Quoted from gandamack:

Please do not pay attention to the top 100 board. It is meaningless.

Tend to agree to be honest. I understand that it’s mostly a numbers game and that ratings are driven by numbers of games out in the wild and available at locations. I do appreciate thoughtful considered ratings and reviews, however, and look forward to those reviews that can weigh both the positive and negative in terms of game play. I also understand that game perspective is pretty individualized. I know the detractors for Halloween drove much of those ratings. I’m just happy that R&M has been able to hold on to a much deserved top 30 spot. IMO both should be higher but absolutely agree that those ratings are to me relatively inconsequential.

#518 1 year ago

.deleted

#519 1 year ago
Quoted from Pugster:

Going on location?

We will see.
Try it out first.
Make sure it's solid.

#520 1 year ago
Quoted from Pugster:

So with Foo inbound is the Danger stream still a thing? I imagine he will be pretty busy promoting his own design. Hope it is, although I’m sure now he’s going to find himself in a trickier situation when it comes to what is essentially promoting other manufacturers pins.
I hope that Stern gives him the go-ahead and he’s player number 5 with the Spooky crew!

Jack said on stream last night that they are still trying to line up with spooky for the stream, just so much havoc going on both sides. He even has to skip TPF Foo unveiling to stay at the factory to oversee Foo builds.

#521 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Stern keeps kicking out turds.

Pinside-100 (resized).jpgPinside-100 (resized).jpg
#522 1 year ago

He never said unpopular turds….just turds

#523 1 year ago

Stopped by Great American Pinball today in West Chicago and we got to play Scoob! It was fun and helped us feel better about dropping so much on a toy. We did notice an issue though, the ball got stuck twice on the lower playfield, left under the castle as it goes to access the green rails. Didn't get to see the problem clearly as the worker popped it open and got it fixed. So can't provide any better info for Spooky to look into. Anyone else seen this yet? I'd imagine a quick guide mod could elevate the issue...too few details since I couldn't get in there to see super clear.

PXL_20230225_173637574 (resized).jpgPXL_20230225_173637574 (resized).jpg

#524 1 year ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

He never said unpopular turds….just turds

Top 100 Means absolutely nothing. Basically, it is a list of pins owned by Pinside Members. There is little to no reflection of anything else to be found there.

#525 1 year ago

Dang that looks like quite a nice lineup of games!

Quoted from wastedthelight:

Stopped by Great American Pinball today in West Chicago and we got to play Scoob! It was fun and helped us feel better about dropping so much on a toy. We did notice an issue though, the ball got stuck twice on the lower playfield, left under the castle as it goes to access the green rails. Didn't get to see the problem clearly as the worker popped it open and got it fixed. So can't provide any better info for Spooky to look into. Anyone else seen this yet? I'd imagine a quick guide mod could elevate the issue...too few details since I couldn't get in there to see super clear.
[quoted image]

#526 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Top 100 Means absolutely nothing. Basically, it is a list of pins owned by Pinside Members. There is little to no reflection of anything else to be found there.

Pretty much man…but I actually like reading the ratings to help form my own opinion when I can’t play the game(on location or a friend’s house)that I’m interested in purchasing. Now back to the topic…can’t wait until SD gets into the hands of a good streamer but I definitely appreciate any and all videos of Scooby. I’m also happy to hear that Spooky set up SD to be able to utilize Stage flipping because it’s such a good feeling once you master that ability.

#527 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Top 100 Means absolutely nothing.

It means everything.

#528 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Dunno, we'll see. The 11629 they're using has 400 more turns of wire than the 11630 to hold the heat from the last time they were energized. Less unnecessary turns is less places to store residual heat.

Say what? Stronger coils have fewer turns and less resistance, think you got this backwards.

#529 1 year ago

I got some Scooby movies playing in the background while I get my tools organized for Texas Pinball Festival, this one episode of Scooby has reference to Spooky Pinball as shown, and if you know your stuff it also has a loose reference to my avatar.

1A2E8405-79D4-4FA3-AC74-B12FFF6EFF3B (resized).jpeg1A2E8405-79D4-4FA3-AC74-B12FFF6EFF3B (resized).jpeg
#530 1 year ago
Quoted from BKPitmaster:

Wow - the music, SFX and the light show really are off the charts on this one. Just listening to it takes me back to my (much) younger years. Now just have to get that container over to Oz.

Very nice job indeed guys.

#531 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm not expecting to see fade on the upper flippers, either - at least not in a loss of power. MAYBE a change in timing if they get to 130F or above, but that's all I expect after a long-ish session. It's just weird that Spooky's putting the biggest, most powerful flipper coil size up there when a coil size 2 notches or so below (like JJP and others do with no degradation of play) that will work fine. But I will post temps from all the flippers when I test Scooby.
I'll be happy to test it sooner if you expedite my 300-ish number machine delivery. After a desert of releases, it looks like there's an impending avalanche of new pins coming - Scooby, Foo Fighters, Twilight Zone, Harry Potter (or whatever Godfather really is), and Galactic Tank Force. That's a LOT of pins in just a few months. Feast or famine.

Are you confident TZ is going to get redone? Thanks!

#532 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Top 100 Means absolutely nothing. Basically a list of pins owned by Pinside Members.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

It means everything.

The top 100 used to mean something. Back when people were rating games that had stood the test of time and the best stood out.

Now it is mainly new buyers highly rating their purchases to try to get them into the top ten. I don't even bother looking any more.

#533 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

Say what? Stronger coils have fewer turns and less resistance, think you got this backwards.

True, stronger coils have less resistance, but the difference is often not just the turns alone. The gauge of wire is usually different, as well. In my notes I have the strongest 11629 B/W coil's main winding with 800 turns. The 11630's main has 600. I don't know how long the wire is, just the number of turns and the resistance. I guess it'd be interesting to take one apart and measure.

#534 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

In my notes I have the strongest 11629 B/W coil's main winding with 800 turns. The 11630's main has 600

Where did you get those notes?

#535 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

True, stronger coils have less resistance, but the difference is often not just the turns alone. The gauge of wire is usually different, as well. In my notes I have the strongest 11629 B/W coil's main winding with 3000 turns. The 11630's main has 2600. I don't know how long the wire is, just the number of turns and the resistance. I guess it'd be interesting to take one apart and measure.

Interesting conversation here. Wouldn’t it always be better to run the biggest coils you could fit and just control power with PWM? Less current on a more efficient coil should mean less heat, better longevity, etc?

You could then just create safe “limits” in the software to keep things from going pear shaped where they shouldn’t.

No idea, wondering if that’s the take Spooky took with the Warden boards and Scooby.

#536 1 year ago
Quoted from Pugster:

Interesting conversation here. Wouldn’t it always be better to run the biggest coils you could fit and just control power with PWM? Less current on a more efficient coil should mean less heat, better longevity, etc?
You could then just create safe “limits” in the software to keep things from going pear shaped where they shouldn’t.
No idea, wondering if that’s the take Spooky took with the Warden boards and Scooby.

Residual heat. More turns means more potential for heat retention means more resistance over time means more potential for fade.

Spooky's approach has proven that's not a good one. JJP puts appropriately sized coils on their upper playfield and doesn't have the temps over time Spooky does. We'll see if that holds with Scooby.

#537 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

Where did you get those notes?

From charts from back in the day. Someone put a bunch of them together in a chart here, though:

https://flippers.com/coil-resistance.html

another chart here:

https://www.pinballmedic.net/coilchart.html

#538 1 year ago
Quoted from Pugster:

Wouldn’t it always be better to run the biggest coils you could fit and just control power with PWM?
Scooby.

doesn’t work that way with hvac, electrical motor sizing or pressurized sprinkler systems. Why would it work here? Now that would be surprising!

#539 1 year ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

The top 100 used to mean something

It means more now than it ever has. The fate of pinball rests on its shoulders.

#540 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Elissa_Spit_Take.gifElissa_Spit_Take.gif
#541 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

From charts from back in the day. Someone put a bunch of them together in a chart here, though:

800 turns of 23GA wire is 4.0 ohms, while 600 turns of 23GA wire is 4.7 ohms?

I think the chart is wrong.

Other chart doesn't list spec for the -29 coil so not sure there either.
New-5 (resized).pngNew-5 (resized).png

#542 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Here is another ‘top 100’…represents the best music?

0BB514A4-29D4-4961-BC29-C1DF222C71A4 (resized).jpeg0BB514A4-29D4-4961-BC29-C1DF222C71A4 (resized).jpeg
#543 1 year ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

The top 100 used to mean something.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Then we'll need Roger Sharpe again, this time to testify that eliminating the Pinside Top 100 would destroy pinball as we know it!

#544 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

800 turns of 23GA wire is 4.0 ohms, while 600 turns of 23GA wire is 4.7 ohms?
I think the chart is wrong.
Other chart doesn't list spec for the -29 coil so not sure there either.
[quoted image]

If it's wrong, it's been wrong for DECADES because I had manufacturer notes that old, so that seems unlikely. I think it has to do with where the turns are and what size they are inside the coil on the spindle.

But hey, this has given me another avenue of investigation in my flipper coil journey. Taking a 11629 apart and comparing to a 11630 is on the to-do list.

#545 1 year ago
Quoted from BlackBelt:

Here is another ‘top 100’…represents the best music?
[quoted image]

Flowers is a well-produced song. The rest? Uh...

#546 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If it's wrong, it's been wrong for DECADES because I had manufacturer notes that old, so that seems unlikely. I think it has to do with where the turns are and what size they are inside the coil on the spindle.
But hey, this has given me another avenue of investigation in my flipper coil journey. Taking a 11629 apart and comparing to a 11630 is on the to-do list.

Lets stuff a little google fu in here...

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=solenoid+power+calculation#ip=1

Solenoid electromagnetic force is determined using the current, area, number of turns, and length.. So it's not *just* a resistance and current formula.

#547 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yes definitely interested, I have no idea how 200 more turns would subtract .7 ohms. Thinking the original material had a typo, certainly wouldn't be the first pinball documentation error haha

Quoted from bakerhillpins:

Solenoid electromagnetic force is determined using the current, area, number of turns, and length.. So it's not *just* a resistance and current formula.

Yes, but here the current is the same and the coils are the same physical size... perhaps Monk's disassembly will show differences in the bobbins?

#548 1 year ago
Quoted from jonahk:

AWESOME! Thank you. I'm sending an email over to service today with a few things we've tweaked over the course of the first 100 or so credits. Our customers LOVE this game so far. We expect it to be a huge hit.

Latest code, with previous game scores screen, and some minor bugfixes is up on our support page!

Email DJ@spookypinball if you'd like to report a bug.

#549 1 year ago
Quoted from spooky_dj:

Latest code, with previous game scores screen, and some minor bugfixes is up on our support page!
Email DJ@spookypinball if you'd like to report a bug.

Thank you for getting this out tonight, we will definitely be testing tomorrow!

(is there a changelog somewhere?)

#550 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

Yes, but here the current is the same and the coils are the same physical size... perhaps Monk's disassembly will show differences in the bobbins?

So according to the equations, assuming that the coils have the same area and length (physical size), and resistance (same gauge) then the # of turns makes the difference.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,199 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
8,200 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Lermods

$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 9,699.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 19.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 154.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Rocket City Pinball

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
HurryUpPinball

$ 99.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 385.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Concord, NC
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
Pinbald Mods

$ 79.99
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

There are 11,655 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 234.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scooby-doo-where-are-you-club-scooby-snacks-for-all/page/11?hl=mrawesome44 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.