Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 269 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by v8torino
  • Topic is favorited by 67 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221002_112239 (resized).jpg
    20221002_112206 (resized).jpg
    20220928_203842 (resized).jpg
    20220928_203819 (resized).jpg
    5cec66f299da3bd9ed2cf4299ee8d921 (resized).jpg
    star post bumper layout (resized).png
    upper playfield prototype MK1 3 (resized).png
    upper playfield prototype MK1 2 (resized).png
    upper playfield prototype  outlines (resized).png
    upper playfield prototype MK1 1 (resized).png
    some of the mechs (resized).jpg
    20220904_193432 (resized).jpg
    20220904_193239 (resized).jpg
    20220904_193156 (resized).jpg
    20220904_193104 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20220630-211514_Gallery (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swinks.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#45 2 years ago

cabinet looks awesome, well done,
    am watching....

2 weeks later
    #85 2 years ago

pulled out a Stern Iron Man playfield and got a overhead picture with a metric rule and imperial rule to help you scale and then you can possibly trace

26236288-F9F2-40D3-BDE6-EBB08D53683C_1_105_c (resized).jpeg26236288-F9F2-40D3-BDE6-EBB08D53683C_1_105_c (resized).jpeg808409F3-FA67-44C1-8339-ED3692F955BB_1_105_c (resized).jpeg808409F3-FA67-44C1-8339-ED3692F955BB_1_105_c (resized).jpeg

#86 2 years ago

also dug up a rough design guild for lane widths etc that I did 5-6 years ago

Lower Playfield Design.pdfLower Playfield Design.pdf
    #87 2 years ago

and this was on the pinball makers website so maybe combining the resources it might help, without drawing the ironman one I can't confirm how accurate the below is - eg the inside corners don't have a radius to suit the cutter etc.

Stern_c_size.pdfStern_c_size.pdf
    #93 2 years ago

my advice is get the ball trough right with the shooter lane and also make sure the ball trough misses the coin door while keeping the apron in mind.

the post only stops the ball from slipping into a unwanted area so you could locate any post to do the job at the next stage / by hand

in regards to the pinball makers site, I was worried about the files there as while it is great that a site captures and stores the info in a common place, but it isn't always accurate / tested. My very early cabinet drawings before I got into 3d which I posted on a forum many years ago where grabbed and stored there. Later on I got into 3d modelling and discovered some errors / clashes and tried reaching out to the site owner to remove my old drawings as they would mislead people. No reply and files remained..... so use caution and not all files from there can be trusted.

#98 2 years ago

I ended pulling out the IM playfield and drew up the bottom under the apron, send me a message with your email and I can send you the DXF that you can open up and use what you want / need.

Stern - IM Playfield Template.pdfStern - IM Playfield Template.pdf
    #101 2 years ago

looks good but the ball trough cut looks a little too low / far back

my drawing is in millimetres but just divide by 25.4 to get imperial

Ball Trough Location (resized).pngBall Trough Location (resized).png
    #102 2 years ago

sent you a updated file, the steel apron holes are estimates so use those with caution or check against yours

Stern - IM Playfield Template.pdfStern - IM Playfield Template.pdf
    #104 2 years ago

ok so I am understanding what is happening now, I have given you the holes for a Stern mech and what you need is an image of someone's spooky playfield under the apron I believe as they get all their main parts from Pinball Life.

#105 2 years ago

hard to find Spooky playfield shots around for under the apron - here are 2 x R&M

RMPlayfield (resized).pngRMPlayfield (resized).pngRick and Mort (resized).pngRick and Mort (resized).png
    #115 2 years ago

nice work, looking good - love the SB design in the speaker grill

#117 2 years ago
    Quoted from firebird357:

Haha thanks, I've been pretty active with it lately but im pretty certain we are about to slow down. It looks like classes to use the maker spaces router are pretty spaced out, so ill be at the mercy of their time line for a mibute here.

playfield design and coding time

#119 2 years ago

I know you have moved on but just for interest I had the apron off on my GB so thought to compare the lower playfield
    - where there are boxes / holes over playfield = more cut out
    - where there are boxes over empty space = where there is now playfield
    - and the 3 small dimples on the lower top side of the trough do not exist anymore

IM to GB comparison (resized).pngIM to GB comparison (resized).png

#121 2 years ago
    Quoted from firebird357:-its the older brother again.
    Yeah man, thats interesting. I wonder if the new stern have a different apron other than the ones that we can get from marcos or pinball life? Cause those dimples are for the apron retention brackets.

no I meant these 3 holes above the pink line, the top 3 are for the apron so still there

b80368546f414f7b8f791c3dddb48c50aef6465d (resized).pngb80368546f414f7b8f791c3dddb48c50aef6465d (resized).png
    8 months later
    #154 1 year ago

looks good, definitely keep that feature with the ball save

1 week later
    #174 1 year ago
    Quoted from firebird357:

I ordered Baltic Birch from a supplier today and boy was that $$$, also got about 4 CNC bits because I'm convinced I'm going to break a couple of them while on my learning curve of how to CNC. After I got home I got an email from a friend who does their own CNC stuff, I sent him my file to just take a look at my file and make sure all my stuff was all right. He couldn't open the file because I used the free version of Vcarve to make the tool paths and he has the paid version. Not a big problem because the maker space should have the full version and i can just redo all my work there, but still just kind of sucks that this whole process has been fighting me so much every step of the way

I feel your challenges, especially software buy-in and control

#177 1 year ago

I haven't used v carve as yet but as for the sloped shooter lane can you select a face other than the top face to draw on to then create a sketch?

#181 1 year ago
    Quoted from firebird357:

So I think I may have figured out how to make the ball shooter lane in Vcarve. I think its just a flute tooling path.
    Here's what I did.
    So first I created a stand alone vector at the entrance of the switch slot for the auto shooter. Its just a vertical vector line. that's it. then select the "flute" tool path.
    [quoted image]
    Then I open the Node editing tool and then select the point where I want the operation to start at. The path will start at the highest point you assign it to be at which should be zero to make that point level with the playfield.[quoted image]
    I then found a 1 inch ball end bit with a 1/4 shank to go in the CNC machine. [quoted image]
    I created my settings of how deep i wanted the ball shooter lane to be. I also wanted this to just be a Linear ramp, no curve. so select "ramp over complete length. [quoted image]
    In tool select create the new tool settings by the plus button.... no idea about feeds and speeds, that info might just be on the wrapper or packaging of the tool physically. [quoted image]
    and this is the end result[quoted image]
    it took me a little longer to figure this out than I wanted it too... but I think this is it. Just have to wait for literally every to get delivered to me.

awesome and thanks for sharing the steps

#188 1 year ago
    Quoted from firebird357:

Well if everything goes well, and I get the last 1" bit on time, I should have my first cnc'd playfield complete Monday. No promises. And its only the lower 1/3 but Regardless im excited.

look forward to seeing your hard work

#196 1 year ago

awesome work and great to see that the trough lane came out nice

#213 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Nice start to this project. Enjoy the easy end of the project while you're in it. Apron definitely needs Scooby Doo coloring. I think a darker teal looks best, but teal or purple would both fit right in.[quoted image][quoted image]

prefer the look of the teal at this stage - nice work on the mock up

#215 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, I agree that with the coin door right there, it's a bit much to have more purple.

especially when the lockdown bar will be purple as well

4 months later
    #264 1 year ago

came across this site and thought to share the mystery machine model
    https://fab365.net/search?q=mystery%20machine

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swinks.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scooby-doo-pinball-project?tu=swinks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.