Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 269 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by v8torino
  • Topic is favorited by 67 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221002_112239 (resized).jpg
    20221002_112206 (resized).jpg
    20220928_203842 (resized).jpg
    20220928_203819 (resized).jpg
    5cec66f299da3bd9ed2cf4299ee8d921 (resized).jpg
    star post bumper layout (resized).png
    upper playfield prototype MK1 3 (resized).png
    upper playfield prototype MK1 2 (resized).png
    upper playfield prototype  outlines (resized).png
    upper playfield prototype MK1 1 (resized).png
    some of the mechs (resized).jpg
    20220904_193432 (resized).jpg
    20220904_193239 (resized).jpg
    20220904_193156 (resized).jpg
    20220904_193104 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20220630-211514_Gallery (resized).jpg
    There are 269 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
    #51 2 years ago

This is awesome.This has been on my list for a while. I’ve wanted to retheme a Four Million BC into a Scooby Doo but I’m looking for a trashed one before I do it. I’ve already got a great graphic design artist ready to help me out.

#52 2 years ago

So I messed up. Looks like I missed a spot on the mummies head so its a little discolored on the left side.20210902_141942 (resized).jpg20210902_141942 (resized).jpg20210902_142000 (resized).jpg20210902_142000 (resized).jpg And then I made the black knight maybe a little bit too dark to really see. 20210902_141917 (resized).jpg20210902_141917 (resized).jpg20210902_141824 (resized).jpg20210902_141824 (resized).jpgSo more than likely im going to fix the file and then reprint these (much later down the line) But for the time being I think from 10 ft back it looks good.

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from Murphdom:

This is awesome.This has been on my list for a while. I’ve wanted to retheme a Four Million BC into a Scooby Doo but I’m looking for a trashed one before I do it. I’ve already got a great graphic design artist ready to help me out.

Hey man I dont know if this is a good price for one but literally this just came up on my Facebook feed today, haha I swear these computers are listening into conversations Screenshot_20210902-144148_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210902-144148_Facebook (resized).jpg

Just thought it was funny, if you ever do a retheme though I'd love to see it. We aren't even close to be thinking about playfield graphics yet. But we will get there... eventually.

#54 2 years ago

That would be a shame to re-theme that example... it actually looks to be in pretty good shape.

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

That would be a shame to re-theme that example... it actually looks to be in pretty good shape.

I just find it funny that it appeared on my dashboard after it was mentioned

#56 2 years ago

Flipper bats came in the mail. Couldn't believe there were purple ones available 20210902_150008 (resized).jpg20210902_150008 (resized).jpg

#57 2 years ago

This build is simply amazing! Man spooky or stern needs to buy this and mass produce it. Who will do the game programming? Amazing job and loving the progress.

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

This build is simply amazing! Man spooky or stern needs to buy this and mass produce it. Who will do the game programming? Amazing job and loving the progress.

So im doing all the actual build work. Its up to my brother to do the programing and power supply work and we are working together on the actual layout of the game.

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from firebird357:

Hey man I dont know if this is a good price for one but literally this just came up on my Facebook feed today, haha I swear these computers are listening into conversations [quoted image]
    Just thought it was funny, if you ever do a retheme though I'd love to see it. We aren't even close to be thinking about playfield graphics yet. But we will get there... eventually.

It’s funny that you mentioned this because I literally just saw this after I posted…scary. I’m looking for something a bit more toasty. I’d feel bad destroying a decent game. Or if anyone has a four million BC head floating around let me know because I know where I can get a lower half. After I clear my current queue maybe I’ll just grab the lower for now and start plugging away and Frankenstein two games later.

#60 2 years ago

Finally got a 1/2 sheet of maple 9 ply ply wood from LOWEs. Not the best board in the world but good enough I guess.

So I transcribed the dimensions I got online and from our own games, cut the flipper slots and drilled out the holes. The sling shot holes were a little too close together and needed to be wider and more forward so I have to change my file. 20210903_220037 (resized).jpg20210903_220037 (resized).jpg

Also good thing I haven't cut the ball trough or return hole yet. Cause it looks like my playfield support bracket goes right where it would have been.

I went with the Pat Lawlor outlanes/guidelanes design and honestly im very happy with how it's turning out for the super rough Version 1 playfield. All the colors and other stuff Is subject to change im just using what I have on hand for now

20210903_221739 (resized).jpg20210903_221739 (resized).jpg
    #61 2 years ago

So I (re)learned my lesson about getting information from the internet. It looks like I'm about 3/4 to 1 inch too far back with the flippers and slingshot compared to where the apron will sit. the apron just came in the mail today.20210904_134456 (resized).jpg20210904_134456 (resized).jpg

So I just need enough space for the ball to drain kn the right side.20210904_134559 (resized).jpg20210904_134559 (resized).jpg

#62 2 years ago

After talking to my little brother, im not gonna redo the playfield just yet. This really only affects the right side drain and I really dont want to spend another $30 on a 2'x4,x1/2" board right now. Im waiting on more parts for the ball trough and the auto kicker so I can have all of that planned out on this prototype board. Its already messed up so there's no pressure to make it nice just yet.

I finished doing the design work on the display panel and now im looking for a place that can laser cut sheet metal, and then bend it since I don't have a sheet metal brake that can handle the job. I do like how this turned out though 20210905_170717 (resized).jpg20210905_170717 (resized).jpg

I have also been trying to figure out the ball return guides. Since we are doing the Lawlor design I figured we probably need his sized returns. The left longer side was in stock so thats great. Unfortunately the right side wasn't. MARCOS was the only place that even had it on their site and it said it was listed for reference only.

I decided to make a 3D model of the one from my brothers Addams family machine. I printed it out on my 3D printer to check if I measured stuff out right and it was dead on 20210905_154452 (resized).jpg20210905_154452 (resized).jpg20210905_154446 (resized).jpg20210905_154446 (resized).jpg now I can send this out to also get laser cut in stainless steel. I did the same for the left one so I figure might as well get them both done up.

We also talked it out and we have come to the conclusion that we are going with PROC and running mission pinball, so my little brother went ahead and bought a starter kit and a power supply, unfortunately according to him they won't be here until October at the latest so im just going to keep chugging away getting this cabinet finished up and then the playfield designed.

#63 2 years ago

Cliffy makes the flipper return guides:

https://www.passionforpinball.com/FlipFrames.htm

#64 2 years ago

Thank you!

#65 2 years ago

Sendcutsend is a great laser service. Def. better to bundle small pieces on an order though to meet avoid min costs for a material

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from firebird357:

It looks like I'm about 3/4 to 1 inch too far back with the flippers and slingshot compared to where the apron will sit. the apron just came in the mail today.

Dumb question - can you just cut 3/4 to 1 inch or whatever from the top of the playfield to slide it forward and make it work?

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from LouMatt:

Dumb question - can you just cut 3/4 to 1 inch or whatever from the top of the playfield to slide it forward and make it work?

U could but then you lose that space up there..

It’s pretty easy to patch holes and redrill. This pf is probably going to get all kinds of random holes in it if you’re prototyping.. try stuff here or there, adjust, remove.

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

U could but then you lose that space up there..
    It’s pretty easy to patch holes and redrill. This pf is probably going to get all kinds of random holes in it if you’re prototyping.. try stuff here or there, adjust, remove.

The space is lost either way. Moving the flippers and slings up an inch would be the same result as Matt's suggestion, I believe.

#69 2 years ago

Not a dumb question, But Mbecker is right, this PF is gonna get very rough looking very fast. First ones are never pretty, but since this one is more of figuring out neat ideas or possible shots so the right side not draining isn't a huge problem. And now im DEFINITELY not worried about making this too pretty haha. All of the fixes to my mistakes and discoveries are going into a 3D file I made of the playfield so that when I do my first CNC cut, most of the major issues have been worked out.

Also more parts should be getting delivered today which should be fun to play around with.

#70 2 years ago

Ordered the cliffy guiderails and so im waiting on those to come in, getting the panel laser cut, bent and then im gonna send all the metal pieces to get powdercoated.

Little brothers proc boards should be coming in soon so that we can start getting stuff wired up, and now I have a ball trough and auto kicker im gonna get bolted up in. Also bought some different color rubber just cause it rounded out the price (or was at least close)20210909_192930 (resized).jpg20210909_192930 (resized).jpg

Pretty soon im gonna have to do like it was suggested and make a playfield rotisserie, we are getting to the point where its pretty much needed.

#71 2 years ago

Boy howdy am I glad I did this on the ugly board. Haha, lots of figuring out how it all fits together20210909_202904 (resized).jpg20210909_202904 (resized).jpg
    But man it got uglier under there fast. But took away some good lessons from this board, and nothings damaged. Im not sure what that center cut part is that I drew out or why its on other machines but I dont need it with this ball trough.
    Also learned to fit the Auto ball shooter first, then the trough, then the slings shots. After all that then fit the flipper mechanisms in between all of the other mechs. So for the next one thats cut ill have better positioning underneath to maximize space.

#72 2 years ago

That cutout is for clearance of a dollar bill acceptor mounted on the coin door. If you had a bill acceptor installed that cutout allows the coin door to close fully.

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

That cutout is for clearance of a dollar bill acceptor mounted on the coin door. If you had a bill acceptor installed that cutout allows the coin door to close fully.

Ah, good to know, we aren't making the game for money making so im happy not including it still then

#74 2 years ago

Sent out the files to sendcutsend (thank you Mbecker for the suggestion) and they're currently reviewing the files. We got the proc boards today and are just messing around with them for now, nothing super serious.

I will probably take a break from the actual pinball playfield for now and will start work on making a rotisserie that I can confidently use. Im kind of tired using a recycling bin to hold up the current playfield, and we could use the rotisserie for our other games too when we do serious work on them.

#75 2 years ago

Skypilots rotisserie kicks ass.. if you want some simple plans and have space for it. I store a lot of parts on it for mine, and there’s room for the boards as well

#76 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Skypilots rotisserie kicks ass.. if you want some simple plans and have space for it. I store a lot of parts on it for mine, and there’s room for the boards as well

So we were going to build one, using the mitre saw stand and 2 posts with pivots but by the time we priced one of those out with sourced parts we were kind of close to the cost of one from marcos pinball, more so close enough to justify spending a little extra just to get a complete kit. We don't have alot of space in the little workshop area right now since everything's under construction, but his rotisserie does look really nice.

#77 2 years ago

There are these too. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gauging-interest-in-all-metal-pf-rotisseries-for-18000-shipped

looks like a much better clamping mechanism on the rotate part as well.

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

There are these too. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gauging-interest-in-all-metal-pf-rotisseries-for-18000-shipped
    looks like a much better clamping mechanism on the rotate part as well.

Man those look great but looks like its be a month or 2 for turnaround time according to his ad info. I like how he connects the back of the playfield though. I might weld together a bracket like that to fit the marcos rotisserie.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from firebird357:

Man those look great but looks like its be a month or 2 for turnaround time according to his ad info. I like how he connects the back of the playfield though. I might weld together a bracket like that to fit the marcos rotisserie.

I just got mine in the mail. He only makes them in monthly batches so you would have to wait til October I think. Best to check with him. I got the Premium. The metal is unfinished on that model (powder coated for the LE) so you have to clean and paint the parts. Not a big deal.

#80 2 years ago

We ordered the Marcos one yesterday, its in my brothers name this time (we take turns buying parts and pieces) and they already gave us a shipping label, so I don't think we are going to cancel it. I don't mind the Marcos one and modifying it, we have a lot of parts ready to go and its better than my current solution of keeping the playfield on top of a recycling can, since we don't have a lot of space stuff is starting to get bent up moving it around and I need a faster solution. However I really like his rotisserie and some of the ideas so I Might buy it down the line if we do more builds or restorations.

also the display panel and locking bar is currently being cut out, looks like it will ship on the 16th so possibly the end of this week or middle of next week i should have that back to see if it turned out okay and im super excited to get them.

#81 2 years ago

Tore the playfield down and trying to take the lessons I learned to modify my 3D file. 20210918_115248 (resized).jpg20210918_115248 (resized).jpg

Using the new measurements from the new file, i recut the other side of the same board to see if it ACTUALLY is better. And for the most part it was. The problem with the first attempt was obviously it was too far back and then less obviously the ball trough was angled wrong so it wasn't putting the ball where it needed to be. (Excuse the tee nut being used like a bolt, I need to buy more nuts and bolts) 20210918_115256 (resized).jpg20210918_115256 (resized).jpg

The issue i have now is the ball will sometimes bounce back towards the the ball trough or top of the apron so I stuck a post where it would bounce towards. This seemed to solve the issue of the ball bouncing up back into the apron, I also don't think this issue would be nearly as bad with the shooter lane having that groove cut out but I will probably keep that posts placement in the design anyways. 20210918_115312 (resized).jpg20210918_115312 (resized).jpg

I can't say for certain this is a fix though because I'm just manually pushing the plunger hard enough to shoot the ball out. When the ball trough solenoid is powered it will probably work with more Gusto, making the ball bounce more.

I'm also helping my dad work on his Williams fire right now and had to order some new star posts for him, but while doing that I came across these 20210918_132249 (resized).jpg20210918_132249 (resized).jpg I think it would be cool to light the post down under the apron to make it look spooky haha. Waaaaaay further down the line kind of thinking but it could be cool.

#82 2 years ago

Ah, darn.... so this did not work. In fact I think the orange post made it worse, it was almost reliably getting stuck there. 20210918_155402 (resized).jpg20210918_155402 (resized).jpg

#83 2 years ago

If you can wait till Monday, I can take a picture of the outhole area of our Stern Playboy. That should help you out.

#84 2 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

If you can wait till Monday, I can take a picture of the outhole area of our Stern Playboy. That should help you out.

I appreciate it, could use any and all references. we have a couple williams machines here and it looks like they just have a bent piece of sheet Metal. And the theater of magic has a standalone post too but on the opposite side of the outhole. To be honest im thinking I got the angle of the ball trough wrong again.

#85 2 years ago

pulled out a Stern Iron Man playfield and got a overhead picture with a metric rule and imperial rule to help you scale and then you can possibly trace

26236288-F9F2-40D3-BDE6-EBB08D53683C_1_105_c (resized).jpeg26236288-F9F2-40D3-BDE6-EBB08D53683C_1_105_c (resized).jpeg808409F3-FA67-44C1-8339-ED3692F955BB_1_105_c (resized).jpeg808409F3-FA67-44C1-8339-ED3692F955BB_1_105_c (resized).jpeg

#86 2 years ago

also dug up a rough design guild for lane widths etc that I did 5-6 years ago

Lower Playfield Design.pdfLower Playfield Design.pdf
    #87 2 years ago

and this was on the pinball makers website so maybe combining the resources it might help, without drawing the ironman one I can't confirm how accurate the below is - eg the inside corners don't have a radius to suit the cutter etc.

Stern_c_size.pdfStern_c_size.pdf
    #88 2 years ago

You can also get a pretty accurate CAD from manuals of commercial machines. Just export the images.

Jan

#89 2 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

and this was on the pinball makers website so maybe combining the resources it might help, without drawing the ironman one I can't confirm how accurate the below is - eg the inside corners don't have a radius to suit the cutter etc.
    [quoted image]

See thats the one I used for the first cut but it interfered with the auto ball shooter. And the apron holes were also incorrect. I've used that one, some other peoples references from their homebrews and a couple reproduction bare stern boards in my cad file. I think im going to use that stern ironman image to try again today. As far as the radius I'm trying to make it all uniform so if there is one then I've set it to 3/16". Still working on finding a maker space near me with a big enough router to even test it out.

Honestly if all else fails I can also just bend up a piece of sheet metal to look like the williams machines too.

#90 2 years ago

John Borg does the Lawlor thing with his outlanes. Checking Stern manuals and playfield cuts should also give you more valuable information.

When I work on CAD and playfield projects with Team Pinball, our builds use Pinball Life mechanical parts and we use a slightly larger apron of our own design - plastic top, screwed into woodrails, rather than metal. Woodrails are thicker than metal, but it makes no difference to the spacing between the right flipper plate and the trough attachment (they're pretty close) and know the trough won't clash with the coin door. Plus that way we can modify the area apron from game to game depending on what we want the game to do. Lawlor lanes require the flippers to be further up, and one design I'm working on pushes the main flippers all the way over so the shooter lane doubles as the right outlane.

#91 2 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

[quoted image]

I may have uploaded that. I got a good scan of a Stern beatles I traced over. I too cannot confirm the accuracy as I haven't tried cutting it. I also didn't include radius in the corners, but anyone creating gcode to route a playfield would need to radius whatever bit they are using.

#92 2 years ago
    Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

John Borg does the Lawlor thing with his outlanes. Checking Stern manuals and playfield cuts should also give you more valuable information.
    When I work on CAD and playfield projects with Team Pinball, our builds use Pinball Life mechanical parts and we use a slightly larger apron of our own design - plastic top, screwed into woodrails, rather than metal. Woodrails are thicker than metal, but it makes no difference to the spacing between the right flipper plate and the trough attachment (they're pretty close) and know the trough won't clash with the coin door. Plus that way we can modify the area apron from game to game depending on what we want the game to do. Lawlor lanes require the flippers to be further up, and one design I'm working on pushes the main flippers all the way over so the shooter lane doubles as the right outlane.

I have about 3 or 4 playfield scans inside the 3D model right now I've been using to reference where things should be including a Lawlor one, but im going to see if I can find a borg one! I think I MAY have found the issue but im not 100% sure just yet. 20210919_111526 (resized).jpg20210919_111526 (resized).jpg this is the outhole to Theater of magic, and its basically just mirrored what I have. I think I need to angle mine up more and then have the purple post below the shootout, not above. Im just not sure i have the space for it though since I also have the autoshooter. But I'll try it out today

#93 2 years ago

my advice is get the ball trough right with the shooter lane and also make sure the ball trough misses the coin door while keeping the apron in mind.

the post only stops the ball from slipping into a unwanted area so you could locate any post to do the job at the next stage / by hand

in regards to the pinball makers site, I was worried about the files there as while it is great that a site captures and stores the info in a common place, but it isn't always accurate / tested. My very early cabinet drawings before I got into 3d which I posted on a forum many years ago where grabbed and stored there. Later on I got into 3d modelling and discovered some errors / clashes and tried reaching out to the site owner to remove my old drawings as they would mislead people. No reply and files remained..... so use caution and not all files from there can be trusted.

#94 2 years ago

missionpinball.org also has a list of models, many from pinballmakers.com, but also a bunch that others have uploaded. Mark Seiden, creator of the Metroid homebrew, put a fusion 360 modern stern lower third file up as well as a bunch of other mechs. I have pulled a bunch of mechs from there to model my current project in fusion 360 and see if everything fits.

stern lower third https://hardware.missionpinball.org/cad_models/lower-third-modern-stern.html

list of models: https://hardware.missionpinball.org/cad-models.html

current progress of the bottom of my playfield in fusion 360 with a few models from there and some of my own creations (not complete):

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #95 2 years ago

I changed the angle on the trough shoot out and honestly I think this was the fix. This was the original 20210919_180555 (resized).jpg20210919_180555 (resized).jpg
    This is the new cut but still not EXACTLY what I went with.
    20210919_180617 (resized).jpg20210919_180617 (resized).jpg

The new still wasn't quite right so the cut out is wrong, plus I dont think thats enough wood to support the rear of the playfield, and like swinks said, I think the trough would interfere with the coin door.

I tried something in the middle and it worked. The back of the trough is still where the "old" cut is near the bottom, but the front of the trough is where the "new" cut is up top.

I guess I won't know if its fully working until we get power going to this thing but for now the ball doest get stuck back into the apron or shootout whenever I push the ball out hard. Time will tell I guess. But for now its working and im calling it a win. I think this will be even less of an issue when there is a ball groove cut in the shooter lane.

Thank you all for the help and advice.
    also thank you BorgDog for the 3D models its definitely gonna help

#96 2 years ago

When you put the apron on you said you will have to move everything forward like the flipper location and so forth. So maybe the location of the trough needs to be moved forward. That doesn’t look like enough wood at the end there. My DH pinball, it is more forward with more wood at the end. Entirely different game and set up. But you were showing some other games like it. This is just my opinion.

832498FA-5C03-407A-90B2-193740C697A7 (resized).jpeg832498FA-5C03-407A-90B2-193740C697A7 (resized).jpeg
    #97 2 years ago

Loved watching Scooby Doo everyday after school.

#98 2 years ago

I ended pulling out the IM playfield and drew up the bottom under the apron, send me a message with your email and I can send you the DXF that you can open up and use what you want / need.

Stern - IM Playfield Template.pdfStern - IM Playfield Template.pdf
    #99 2 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

I ended pulling out the IM playfield and drew up the bottom under the apron, send me a message with your email and I can send you the DXF that you can open up and use what you want / need.[quoted image]

I know I messaged you saying the same thing but man, thank you so much for the reference, I can't believe how close I was with just winging it. 20210920_003029 (resized).jpg20210920_003029 (resized).jpg
    Good enough for government work haha.

#100 2 years ago

Last post before I hit the hay but I think after a day of measuring, cutting and finageling, im ready to get the bottom portion cut on a cnc machine. So im either looking for a local service that can handle it or a makerspace to let me do it. But thats a tomorrow issue

20210919_230901 (resized).jpg20210919_230901 (resized).jpg

Thank you again to everyone that helped with the ball trough issue. Was losing my mind there for a second

There are 269 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scooby-doo-pinball-project/page/2?hl=murphdom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.