Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PtownPin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What pin looks more promising to you?”

• Bond premium 8 votes
      15%
    • Scooby Doo CE 29 votes
      53%
    • Cactus Canyon SE+ 18 votes
      33%

(55 votes)

#1 1 year ago

Pins are roughly the same cost, of course they are not exactly the same but in the same ballpark at +/- $10k.

I understand we have not played SD or Bond but people do still buy pins based on appearance, theme, manufacture and so on.

Of the three which would you rate as the best value, innovative, potential for code improvement, and fun to play? Which would you buy if you had $10k to spend?

#2 1 year ago

You can go to the Pinball Lounge a hour or so away from you and try 2 of the 3 games you’re considering for yourself.

#3 1 year ago

This is an easy and hard decision at the same time. Bond is out for many reasons, least of which is art. Can we call it art? Regurgitating previous poster art is not considered art in my book. Now that we have that out of the way, we can look at gameplay. With the limited amount we have seen from Bond prem and SD, it makes it harder, but at the end of the day I think they will all play well. CCR will give you that 90s feel that everyone loves. Bond will give you a unique feel with the layout, but looks like it might get old after a while for me. Yes, you could say the same for the other games as well. Code is also a turd right now and it sounds like they are having trouble with the license holder getting things approved. SD on the other hand has some interesting things going on, but is still a fan layout. For people that like that, me, its great. Some dont like that though. If it were my money, I would go SD, with the caveat that I want to see a live stream of gameplay first. CCR would be a close second, and Bond a distant third. Hope this helps! Happy holidays!

#4 1 year ago

All are very good choices. Bond may be considered by most to be the best of the three when the code is completed. CCrSE+ is a B/W classic with a cool topper and upgraded display added. But this is all about personal preference. I voted with my wallet and ordered Scooby-Doo CE yesterday.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

All are very good choices. Bond may be considered by most to be the best of the three when the code is completed. CCrSE+ is a B/W classic with a cool topper and upgraded display added. But this is all about personal preference. I voted with my wallet and ordered Scooby-Doo CE yesterday.

If they can get everything approved though. And we haven’t even seen the new CCr code yet. That could really change things. At least Spooky has all the assets with SD and can make changes to code easier than Stern with Bond. Could be a long time for Bond.

#6 1 year ago

Well I guess this is the "waiting around forever for a game" thread huh

CCr as far as I know doesn't have the updated code? And with Lyman gone I'd be worried there. The OG CC is a standard late B/W that's not as good as AFM/MM/MB...sort of same shit diff'rent day. Apparently these are taking forever to ship as well?

Scooby Do will also take a long time to get made. Have no idea aboot other titles but Halloween is taking a super long time to update.

Quoted from SpyroFTW:

At least Spooky has all the assets with SD and can make changes to code easier than Stern with Bond.

See this makes sense in theory but in reality they take all their notes and then update SUPER slow. Obvious Spooky has the most issues with quality control and it's a bit of a shit show.

Don't know anything aboot Bond other than it's a Gomez which is almost always a pass for me.

#7 1 year ago

well in all reality why not 3
    you could get bond now and then, in 6-8 months when ccr LE is available, trade it in for that and then in a year or so when SD CE is available trade it in for that
    have 3 cakes and take a bite out of them all

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from AJB4:

well in all reality why not 3
    you could get bond now and then, in 6-8 months when ccr LE is available, trade it in for that and then in a year or so when SD CE is available trade it in for that
    have 3 cakes and take a bite out of them all

That is some solid thinking.

#9 1 year ago

Consider theme and quality of gameplay and buy the one you like the most. I don’t know what else anyone could say. I would never buy a game I had not played and had proven great game play. But it seems many people do.

#10 1 year ago

I'd go with Scooby if i had to decide today. It's my favorite shooter of the 3 and I think the rules have a lot of potential and the game has the best innovation and theme immersion of the 3. I'm not planning to buy any of them though until code is closer to completion (including Lyman's version of CCR).

#11 1 year ago

I mean, I wouldn't buy any of them honestly. All three are not worth spending that amount of money on in my mind. You gotta love a game to put out that kind of cash, and part of that is playing it first. But if I was given a check and a game to pick?

Not Bond. I just don't think it's a very interesting use of the license. The assets are just kinda there. If I'm buying a licensed game I need something that feels above and beyond "we were allowed to do just this much".

Not CCR. I've at least flipped this one! Both the vanilla original and the Continued variation. It's fun enough, but I honestly think the game got more attention for being rare and unfinished than for being a great game. I would rather own any of the other three remakes instead.

That leaves Scooby-Doo. I'm just not sure about the gameplay and code, too many unknowns. I'm gonna happily flip @nimblepin's though! It looks beautiful and creative, good use of the license (wayyy better than what Bond has done from what we've seen so far). But I'm not big on upper playfields, and I don't love how the ball disappears under it so much. All those wireforms are cool, but to me you lose some of the kinetic feel when you can't follow the ball the whole time. Code and hardware feel very unknown. We haven't even seen real gameplay with callouts going etc.

But if it's not my money and I'm just taking a chance? Scooby-Doo looks like the most fun to risk.

#12 1 year ago

Probably CCr from a value perspective. CGC brings amazing quality from top to bottom at a great price. They could've easily sold CCr LE at the 11-12k range at launch.

I would guess that Bond ends up being the best playing game of the three, given the team involved. But probably overpriced until the code is fleshed out.

Scooby Doo is at a nice price but Spooky's historical build quality is not of the same caliber as CGC's. And mechanical engineering/software will be of a much higher caliber at Stern. SD is a pretty big wild card from a fun factor with the young team. But has some interesting concepts/potential. I thought the same about Halloween/Ultraman but ended up being just ok from my perspective -- to the point that I was good playing on location and ejecting on my preorders. But have had several Spookys that I enjoy a ton, in particular ACNC (different core team though).

#13 1 year ago

Getting Scooby Doo CE. Had Monster Bash remake SE and eventually got old and sold it. Older pins are great but just don’t think all of them hold up well and stay for a long time in a collection. Not a Bond fan so can’t comment on it. But I am biased Scooby is a dream theme for my family and I.

#14 1 year ago

CCr, easy choice for me.

#15 1 year ago

2 of those 3 games are on the easy side...

#16 1 year ago

Can't go wrong with Bond&CCr. Spooky games still feel pretty homebrew to me, I wouldn't pay anything close to 10k for any of their games.

#17 1 year ago

I’m in the “none of them” camp, at least at the moment. I had a CCr and it got boring very quickly. I played a bond pro and thought it shot really well but it will certainly be some time before it feels complete. I don’t personally like to pay and then wait through a large portion of development afterwards. Definitely a rift in the market on view of Spooky but I personally don’t have confidence enough in them to buy without playing anymore.

#18 1 year ago

For those I’d vote CCR. Played one at a friends house and it is put together so well, beautiful pin. CGC seems to come through on what the promise…. Sure some stuff comes late…. But when it does arrive it’s usually great stuff. So I think code will come.

But if you want a wide body…. Scooby. If you want modern stern bond.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from rai:

Pins are roughly the same cost, of course they are not exactly the same but in the same ballpark at +/- $10k.
    I understand we have not played SD or Bond but people do still buy pins based on appearance, theme, manufacture and so on.
    Of the three which would you rate as the best value, innovative, potential for code improvement, and fun to play? Which would you buy if you had $10k to spend?

First good question in need of a poll I’ve seen from you. hint (add poll). What’s so interesting is the variety of choices.

CCr SE+ is a 2-flipper fan layout with lots of mechanical action and toys, but is super easy with wide shots. Code is really fun and promised code to offer more, soon.

Bond premium - layout is 3 flipper fun,
    but current rules suck. Expect to wait until Mar 1 for “real” code and for games to be built. Buy lots of JB dolls in the meantime.

Scooby-Doo CE - game is 4 flipper game with large upper playfield and is packed with features with A+license. What will code look like on Mar 1? We all might be pleasantly surprised. Games start shipping Feb 1.

If I had $10k to spend, I’d hold until Mar 2 and revisit choices.

#20 1 year ago

Added a poll

As for price imo you get more stuff for your money in both CCr SE+ (interactive topper, more mechanical toys) and Scooby Doo CE (topper, color armor, shaker, back glass).

Bond the hope/expectation is that with their top notch code teams and big pocket polish will save the day. In order to get as much extra fluff you’d need to add a lot of mods (topper, shaker, color armor etc.) or get the LE that’s much more expensive.

#21 1 year ago

Until the code is complete, no game is worth buying.

Patience young Grasshopper: Only a fool jumps early without looking first how far they will fall.

#22 1 year ago

I went CCR SE+ and Scooby Doo CE

#23 1 year ago

A factor not mentioned is reliability. CGC makes tanks that are incredibly reliable. My experience with sterns has also been generally positive. While I have never owned a Spooky, looking at any of their owner threads they can have significant issues with freezing, parts breaking, ect. For me the answer is CCR by a mile.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

I went CCR SE+ and Scooby Doo CE

I did the same thing!
    Curious to see if I get one or both delivered in 2023.

#25 1 year ago

I have a Bond LE and Scooby CE ordered.

CC looks like a great game. But I sure see the SE’s leaving collections pretty quick- hopefully the Lyman code will give it more staying power for home use.

#26 1 year ago

I'd like to see the Scooby standard before I order. Crazy that they don't even have photos of the SE/BSE while the game is up for sale....

Thought about Bond but someone else I know is getting it, so not as interested. I don't care for CCR. Game is way too easy.

#27 1 year ago

I have a Bond LE ordered that I'm patiently waiting for and Scooby CE I ordered on Friday.

These are my personal #1 and #2 all-time dream theme games (weird I know) so I'll probably try to keep both long term.
    I'm not generally a FOMO person but these just happen to be my dream themes in the same year.
    Good addition to our Ghostbusters premium and Willy Wonka CE (we like overall family friendly themes in the house).

However, it may end up that we keep the Bond LE until the Scooby CE get's delivered (in 3-18 mo?) and if the Scooby is solid in quality and plays well then may let the Bond LE go later since the entire family loves the Scooby theme and mostly me/my son that like the Bond theme.

I've played the Bond in pro form and CC in standard format. The Bond shoots pretty well but outlanes aren't forgiving and code seems way behind for a launch - it will always be medium in difficulty, the CC is awesome 90's fun but I would get bored of it as a home pin after a few months unless I had a really large collection.

In the long-run, I think with Sterns resources I believe Bond will be the "best" deep game of the bunch. I think Scooby will be one of the most fun to shoot and have fun with as long it doesn't have glitches/break down, and CC will be a great game to play on location but not something I'd keep at home personally.

Fun question, thank you. Lee

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

CCr as far as I know doesn't have the updated code? And with Lyman gone I'd be worried there.

I'd be kinda worried as well. That being said its a future option thats not required so its not that big a deal. I'm on the list for an LE, but honestly not sure how to feel about this new code. I know Lyman provided sketches, and a framework for how he wanted the code developed, but other than that it's really not his code. He didn't have time to develop the code, play it, and fine tune yet everyone keeps calling it his code. I get its a big brand name, but not sure how fair it is to use his name?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scooby-doo-ce-bond-premium-or-ccr-se-?hl=spyroftw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.