(Topic ID: 211098)

Scissor lifts, elevators, or other unique ways to escape a basement?

By Lame33

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Lame33
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Going-Down (resized).png
    Winch (resized).png
    Truck (resized).png
    Testing (resized).png
    Packed-up (resized).png
    IMG_7146 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7076 (resized).JPG
    evil stairs (resized).png

#1 1 year ago

The recent thread about moving to a new house to support your pinball habit got me thinking about my least favorite part of pinball... getting a machine out of my basement.

Evil Stairs

I now own an escalera, but even that is a precarious endeavor on these stairs. The angle is somehow wrong and the extra lip and step down at the top just makes it a pain. Being a split second and a timely hand from my son to avoid riding a JY down like Major Kong still gives me the shakes. I know I would own and cycle more pins if I did not feel like I was risking dismemberment and destruction just transporting a game those few feet.

Since moving is unlikely, I started contemplating crazy alternatives like removing the stairs and putting in a ramp, diy elevator or scissor lift.

Anyone have any experience with alternative methods or suggestions forgetting a pinball machine to climb a 90" wall to freedom?

#2 1 year ago

I've seen people on here using a winch in this situation

#3 1 year ago

Interesting idea. I don't know what I would attach it to though. Not much space past the stairs for my property and the tree that's there is off center. I would need a counterweight other than a car... To the internet!

#4 1 year ago

Cheapest alternative would probably be building a metal or wood frame, some straps, and a winch. You would need to remove the stairs. Then just lower it down and dolly it to wherever. Most expensive would be a scissor lift and a ramp to get it the rest of the way to ground level

#5 1 year ago

What my brother did to get his gun safe and pinball in the basement is belay it down. That would only cost maybe $200 in supplies. And if you have a tree there you have a convenient place to anchor to

#6 1 year ago

Is that the only way in/out of the basement? I was dealing with a unfriendly staircase for a while, and then I decided to use a high-lift hydraulic cart and convertible appliance dolly to transfer my pins through a window (works on everything but sys11 games, which have too wide of a head). It actually works pretty well.

Funny thing is I'm moving in 2 months and my new home has a straight shot of stairs, but a short landing at the bottom. I'll see how it works, but I'm considering widening the basement windows to go with the same method I use now.

#7 1 year ago

If you take the stairs out and have another way to get to basement. maybe a gentry crane. it would allow you to lift it up and then you could roll the gentry crane which gets you the surface you want.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Is that the only way in/out of the basement? I was dealing with a unfriendly staircase for a while, and then I decided to use a high-lift hydraulic cart and convertible appliance dolly to transfer my pins through a window (works on everything but sys11 games, which have too wide of a head). It actually works pretty well.
    Funny thing is I'm moving in 2 months and my new home has a straight shot of stairs, but a short landing at the bottom. I'll see how it works, but I'm considering widening the basement windows to go with the same method I use now.

where did you find a new place? hopefully closer?

#9 1 year ago

Is that the only way in?

#10 1 year ago

Clarification: I do have another set of narrow stairs in the finished side of the basement that leads to the inside of the house, but those have a 90 degree turn into a awkward hallway. They would work with no alternative.

No other windows or easy way out.

#11 1 year ago

winch sometimes you just prop a base against the front lip of your stairs... and then use a tie back to something else to keep it from rotating.

Basically a ramp, sled, and a winch. But it requires setup, etc. We usually just muscle it with an appliance cart even tho the winch is available. It's useful for 1 man days...

#12 1 year ago

Pinball sled on rails with a winch, I thought I saw something on Ed Chungs website awhile ago and thought it was a great idea

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I've seen people on here using a winch in this situation

I've seen people using their wench in this situation.

#15 1 year ago

My version...

#17 1 year ago

Pretty sweet jwilson; nice touch having John Goodman do your voice-over

#18 1 year ago

So many fantastic suggestions that are far beyond my skill or imagination. I now have some ideas percolating and might be able to cobble something together.

If you have more, keep them coming. Pinside is amazing.

#19 1 year ago

I'm currently in the planning stage of doing something similar to this:

Hoping someone chimes in with a genius suggestion beforehand, otherwise I'll post here what I end up doing in a few months.

#20 1 year ago

not nearly the problem of others, but the area off my game room was pitted and a pita moving pins in and out so built this deck this past fall.
    before
    IMG_7076 (resized).JPG

after
    IMG_7146 (resized).JPG

#21 1 year ago

The sled solution -

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moving-a-machine-up-stairs-alone-my-solution

or

Maybe remove the stairs and install a handicap ramp?

1 month later
    #22 1 year ago

Thanks Pinside for all the great ideas. My solution borrowed liberally, but was not nearly as elegant. However, I'm still alive and not too much poorer. So, it's a win?

I'm sure everyone has been eager to see the convoluted solution that I concocted for my stair issues. Well, I'm going to share anyway.

After a couple too many trips wandering around Home Depot and buying odd stuff on Amazon, I completely redesigned this mess about three times while constructing it and it still needs tweaking. At this point, it's about as functional as a Stern initial code release. (I can't wait to see the finished wizard mode.)

I was going to build a sled out of wood, but ended up modifying my appliance dolly.
    Very professional and light

The sled needed a ramp and so I cobbled together the following. It's the 45 degree angle and big lip at the end that makes this so much fun!
    Testing (resized).png
    Winch (resized).png

The winch is a Warn PullzAll and it worked pretty well and since it's not a fixed installation, I can use it for the many other things I will need to winch... Like... Ummm. Moving on...

and it works like this:
    I'm not dead! This is great.

Lionman defeats balrog and stairs! SoF safely delivered.

Then it gets put away
    Don't really use these stairs for anything else

So when you read my obituary right before MGC, you can likely guess what happened.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 109.99
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.95
    $ 25.00
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 23.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 129.25
    Lighting - Led
    The MOD Couple
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside