• Vinny 1 vote
    11%
  • Drums hurt my ears 1 vote
    11%
  • Drums hurt my neighbor's ears 4 votes
    44%
  • You make the call 1 vote
    11%

(Multiple choice - 9 votes by 8 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6877AF73-860B-4639-910D-106B73E17ED6 (resized).jpeg
h5-teachers-union-prepared-strike-if-schools-arent-made-safe-coronavirus (resized).jpg
761ccb607604b33b0c0ae16316e0a4f1.494x494x1 (resized).jpg
cozy-powell-500 (resized).jpg
03D06FB9-3B77-4107-8065-714C852DDA5A (resized).png
ac985f6a90bf23c3b76b6ccab266039e.gif
red-ribbon-pennsylvania-punch (resized).png
7F769D47-9045-44B4-BA4B-83A82543446F (resized).jpeg
1992-07-12 Flyer (resized).jpg
A7368AC5-106A-4251-9BB4-E9A30734606C (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpeg
frampton (resized).jpg
4779D1F5-F5E9-45B6-A803-CF217FC6448B (resized).jpeg
There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

2 of us went one night and wow, had to go back the next night. Got another friend and the 3 of us went the next night. We would trade thai sticks for tickets. The driver traded his thai stick for the wrong night as every ticket was dated Feb instead of June. The 2 of us had been the night before, and realized we'd be thumbing at midnight like the characters from the movie Warriors trying to get home. We looked at each other, 17 years old and made one of the smartest decisions of our lives.
ZEP.

7 sold out nights at the Los Angeles Forum. First concert I went to. Very long including about a half hour sit down acoustical set with songs like Going To California. A blazing Achilles Last Stand was what sealed the deal for me. A laser light show and a huge disco ball that just enhanced the experience.

I believe it was the Saturday show that featured a special guest on the drum kit.

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

7 sold out nights at the Los Angeles Forum. First concert I went to. Very long including about a half hour sit down acoustical set with songs like Going To California. A blazing Achilles Last Stand was what sealed the deal for me. A laser light show and a huge disco ball that just enhanced the experience.
I believe it was the Saturday show that featured a special guest on the drum kit.

What a first concert. I really liked the acoustic set. Can't remember another band doing that at the time.

#53 3 years ago

Yeah, it's kinda cool that I can say my first concert was that one. Certain events at home almost prevented me from going by the time summer got there. But did what I had to do to go.

You were with me for the last concert I saw. 70 year old Ian Anderson showed you don't have to end up at an old folks home playing bridge to pass the time.

#54 3 years ago

Man nobody both hates - and loves - nostalgia more than Odin!

Allow me to contribute

7F769D47-9045-44B4-BA4B-83A82543446F (resized).jpeg7F769D47-9045-44B4-BA4B-83A82543446F (resized).jpeg
#55 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Man nobody both hates - and loves - nostalgia more than Odin!

Nostalgia is great when sitting at a computer or shooting the shit with buddies.

Spending money on it or decorating my house with it or even wearing it is a whole nuther story.

I think the last bit of nostalgia I was looking to buy was some Delaware Punch. Broke my heart when I found they didn't make it any more and the last remnants of it contained high fructose corn syrup.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I think the last bit of nostalgia I was looking to buy was some Delaware Punch. Broke my heart when I found they didn't make it any more and the last remnants of it contained high fructose corn syrup.

Does this stuff look worth investigating?

https://sodapopstop.com/shop/classics/red-ribbon-pennsylvania-punch/

red-ribbon-pennsylvania-punch (resized).pngred-ribbon-pennsylvania-punch (resized).png
#57 3 years ago

Why, yes, yes it does! $3.25 a bottle plus shipping and out of stock kinda puts a damper on instant gratification though. But probably a little safer and more realistic than clicking buy it now here.

ebay.com link: i

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Think that was Keith’s last time he performed on a US stage.

Nostalgia question of the day - If Bonzo would have passed on before Moon the Loon...would Zeppelin have rambled on with Keith behind his Premier kit?

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Nostalgia question of the day - If Bonzo would have passed on before Moon the Loon...would Zeppelin have rambled on with Keith behind his Premier kit?

Not sure, but the next Who concert I saw probably wouldn't have had Kenney Jones on drums.

#60 3 years ago

Oh snap!

ac985f6a90bf23c3b76b6ccab266039e.gifac985f6a90bf23c3b76b6ccab266039e.gif

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Think that was Keith’s last time he performed on a US stage.

Lord no. THose guys would have hated playing with Keith.

Even THE WHO hated playing with Keith...why do you think they went with a boring human timekeeper like Kenny Jones when Keith went to the great Holiday Inn pool in the sky?

Punk bands would have loved playing with Keith if he could have kept up. He's one of my favorite drummers for sure but he was good for the Who and surf bands.

#62 3 years ago

Keith Moon was absolutely the greatest rock and roll drummer there ever was. He brought a wild animal intensity and other things to the table nobody else had even dreamed up yet.

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Kenney Jones on drums.

Face Dances is a very underrated album. Took awhile to appreciate it but some strong stuff on that album. It’s Hard..... to like that next album but Eminence Front still kicks ass.

It’s a put on it’s a put on

#65 3 years ago

Levi enjoy your NYC social distancing shows. Was telling my buds at work the next day bout this dude having a ball with his new smoker stage set up. Thanks for the 45 minutes. Just a shame I had to lower the volume half hour in for some reason ; )
Odin luv your music selections EVERY TIME you post. Especially the buddy rich battle few weeks ago.Damn that was something. I didn’t know where he was gonna go but HE did. Quick question - do you play?

#66 3 years ago

I saw Kenney Jones (hairdresser as Pete called him) twice with The Who. Once in 1980 when they first resumed touring, and once in 1982 at the LA Coliseum when my car got jacked. He was as Levi said a timekeeper. The rest of the band was in top form so they are both very memorable shows.

One piece of advice. Don't leave your car on a sidestreet outside the Coliseum or you will be "Walking in LA". Warmup band that night was pretty good too.

#67 3 years ago

Missing Persons had potential. Thought they were gonna be early MTV blonde killer.

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Quick question - do you play?

I used to play drums. Till I pissed off so many neighbors. They are still nearby if I get the urge.

But, yes, I have a soft spot for banging the skins and guys like Keith Moon, and Cozy Powell, and many more that set me in motion to want to play. One of the most impressive live drum performances I ever saw was a guy named Andy Ward with his band Camel. I guess you had to have been there

Quoted from Rezdog:

Missing Persons had potential. Thought they were gonna be early MTV blonde killer.

We saw them open for Stiff Little Fingers before they got big, but again an amazing drummer named Terry Bozzio. It was almost like he dumbed down his ability, but he was still the musical centerpiece of the band.

#69 3 years ago

I guess if you really wanted to dig deep, you could ask me which of the Appice brothers impressed me most live, and I'd have to say it was a tossup, with a slight nod to Carmen as the elder statesman.

#70 3 years ago

I knew you were a drummer. You gotta get a set of Roland Vdrums. Fuck those neighbors. Problem with the V drums is you start playing with headphones to keep the neighbors civil.. but within 10 minutes you rip me off and just chant fuck the neighbors. Very rock and roll : )

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Why, yes, yes it does! $3.25 a bottle plus shipping and out of stock kinda puts a damper on instant gratification though. But probably a little safer and more realistic than clicking buy it now here.
ebay.com link

o-din, no need to ship. It looks like this soda seller is located pretty close to you. Maybe you can go check out their shop to see if they have a bottle or two lying around.

03D06FB9-3B77-4107-8065-714C852DDA5A (resized).png03D06FB9-3B77-4107-8065-714C852DDA5A (resized).png
#72 3 years ago

Wasn’t terry screwing dale at the time.prolly the reason he toned his set down. Didn’t want to ruin a good thing by showing her up. Reason I knew you played cause most of your post reference the talent on skins.

Btw- it will always go to the elder

#73 3 years ago

About ten years ago, the kid across the street started beating the drums with his garage open along with a couple friends on guitar and bass, and it was terrible. I told him they should at least shut the garage and asked him what inspired him to play.

He said when he was a baby he used to hear one of the neighbors play and that is all he ever wanted to do since. DOH!

He is now well on his way to becoming a professional, as it his is whole life.

#74 3 years ago

OD I got a set of vintage 70's Ludwigs I'll sell ya. Return to battle soldier!

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Wasn’t terry screwing dale at the time.prolly the reason he toned his set down.

They were married I believe, but prior to that he played with Frank Zappa in a band where there was no room for amateurs and they tended to jam a little more than a tight new wave band with 3-4 minute songs..

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

OD I got a set of vintage 70's Ludwigs I'll sell ya. Return to battle soldier!

Are they red with double bass? If so, the dream lives on!

cozy-powell-500 (resized).jpgcozy-powell-500 (resized).jpg
#77 3 years ago

Actually they're pretty close looking to those.
I was always a Gene Krupa guy.

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I was always a Gene Krupa guy.

So was my dad. Gave me a great excuse when he caught me smoking weed.

#79 3 years ago

#returntobattleodin

#80 3 years ago

Cozy Powell was probably the first drummer that really inspired me as to what was possible. I think this solo shows why.

A moment of tribute to the man. RIP.

#81 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They were married I believe,

Well then that differently explains why he toned it down : )

#82 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Well then that differently explains why he toned it down : )

He couldn't hide his talent even if he tried.

#83 3 years ago

After watching Cozy clip I got a strange urge to play a game of Class of 1812.
That surprised me.

Btw- Rainbow ever play at the Rainbow?

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Rainbow ever play at the Rainbow?

Not sure, but I saw them at the Shrine where they used to do the Oscars while Ronnie James was still singing for them. Shrine- a very nice auditorium.

#85 3 years ago

Last I was out to so cal was when the Dolby theater was opening to replace the Shrine for the oscars. 15 years ago??

Clem Burke better than Terry?

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Clem Burke better than Terry?

That's debatable when you consider all of Terry's work with Zappa.

But, I do have a fairly good idea where the band name Rainbow came from.

761ccb607604b33b0c0ae16316e0a4f1.494x494x1 (resized).jpg761ccb607604b33b0c0ae16316e0a4f1.494x494x1 (resized).jpg
#87 3 years ago

Meanwhile- back on topic!

"No more pencils, no more books, no more teacher's dirty looks, out for summer, out for fall..."

h5-teachers-union-prepared-strike-if-schools-arent-made-safe-coronavirus (resized).jpgh5-teachers-union-prepared-strike-if-schools-arent-made-safe-coronavirus (resized).jpg
#88 3 years ago

A true god among gods.

#89 3 years ago

Poll has been added.

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:A true god among gods.

but they all answer to the one true God of drumming.

5 months later
#91 3 years ago

If anyone is interested Dave and I talk about Bad Cats and the influence Alice Cooper had on the game. #44 The Classic Pinball Podcast - Age of Machine.

4 months later
#92 2 years ago

I found this while doing some cleaning. My first concert in Madison Square Garden. Flo and Eddie ( The Turtles) were the opening act.

6877AF73-860B-4639-910D-106B73E17ED6 (resized).jpeg6877AF73-860B-4639-910D-106B73E17ED6 (resized).jpeg
#93 2 years ago
Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

I found this while doing some cleaning. My first concert in Madison Square Garden. Flo and Eddie ( The Turtles) were the opening act.
[quoted image]

Wow...good seats!

#94 2 years ago

They were. Dad had a great ticket broker back then. My Dad actually took me and my friends to the concert.

There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/school-s-out-forever/page/2?hl=nhpolarbear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.