View topic image gallery

images (resized).jpg
SenseOfHumor (resized).jpg
TAG_Flyer_Small_P2 (resized).jpg
TAG_Flyer_Small_P1 (resized).jpg
The_Puppets (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

Im lost on the Thunderbirds.

Between the show, its influences and what it influenced. Is there is a pinball coming? That team america movie how does that fit in?

What should i watch? and perhaps what order. I already have a twisted idea for this.

The_Puppets (resized).jpgThe_Puppets (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

When Puppets Collide!

#3 6 years ago

Thunderbirds was simply the coolest thing imaginable for kids in the 60s. We are talking pre CGI here. The people (British) who made it were completely nuts, their attention to detail and the amount of money they spent on each episode was crazy.

It's one of those things that was reborn to a new life, partially due to the baby boomer/retro phase and also just because the thing is so darn crazy to look at. The puppets are nothing short of creepy.

It spawned one of the greatest catchphrases ever: "F - A - B". I still use it to this day although 99% of the people who hear it have no idea what the hell it means. Sort of like saying "I must be in the front rooowww".

The South Park guys weren't big fans of the show or anything, but at some point realized they could do a whole bunch of sick stuff with puppets and thus Team America was made.

The nostalgia for the show was so great that they recently made a new sequel. It was done with CGI instead of puppets. It sucks. Some things cannot be recreated. I have all of the originals on my computer and like to watch one once in a while, great stuff.

As far as a pinball I don't know, but it would be a cool theme IMO.

#4 6 years ago

By dad introduced me to the Thunderbirds at a relatively young age, and my dad himself also watched thunderbirds at a young age. For us, it's the "serious but campy" and also nostalgia that really draws us to the show. It's honestly more of a kids show than anything else.

Here's the lowdown: Gerry Anderson had this technology called "supermarionation." This technology automatically synced the puppets mouths to the actors speech. He used this on other shows like Super Car and Fireball XL5 (the predecessor to Thunderbirds). They must've been proud of it, because they advertise it in the pre-credits of every episode!

Plot-wise, the show is basically a large independently wealthy family owns a secret island. They call themselves "International Rescue" and listen to police channels, and respond to disasters. All the siblings are specialized pilots of their own craft, and each craft has it's own badass launch sequence, and special ability. They have other people, like Lady Penelope who drive a pink James Bond-esque Rolls Royce who does ground level reconnaissance, and Brains, who is the, well... the brains behind everything.

For example, Thunderbird 1 is a hybrid rocket plane (that launches vertically, and flies horizonally). Thunderbird 2 is a plane/jet that has the ability to carry supplies or other vehicles. Thunderbirds 3 is their space rocket. Thunderbirds 4 is the submarine, and Thunderbirds 5 is their space station that they use to intercept distress signals and also choreograph rescue missions. Each launch sequence to the Thunderbirds is carefully crafted, and very rube goldberg machine-like. The Hood is the primary villain, but not every disaster is caused by him.

The thing that makes Thunderbirds so special though is how much obvious heart and soul went into the show. Sometimes the best part about watching an episode isn't actually following the plot, but instead looking at all the crafty ways the producers did things. Often, button and knobs on control panels will be oven knobs, or buttons to other kitchen appliances. Sometimes you'll see that in order to get a landing sequence, they'll just play the launch sequence in reverse (and the smoke of the engines will go back into the engines!), or sometimes you'll see a lazy puppeteer just float the characters over a path, instead of taking the time to animate their legs.

It's all great fun, and the soundtrack is the best. It's full of dry British humor, and there's tons of little references to other things.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

The nostalgia for the show was so great that they recently made a new sequel.

When they came out with that really crappy live-action Thunderbirds movie, my dad and I went to see it in the theaters. What a letdown... They really shouldn't try to reboot these things.

#6 6 years ago

Astounding. I was watching the intro and at the end they just started blowing up the landscape.

Probably part of an episode but. Wow. And they all got paid to do this back then.

Watching.

#7 6 years ago

Just some facts:

Thunderbirds 1965 & 1966. 32 episodes were produced. Also with the same couple, Stingray 1964 & 1965 with 39 episodes.

The setting is 2065, the Tracys' are extremely wealthy. Always at the ready to assist people in trouble, usually a life or death situation. Sci-Fi marionettes, scale models, and some live action.

Gerry and Sylvia Anderson created all of this, and Sylvia was the voice for Lady Penelope. They are also credited for the new version called Thunderbirds Are Go 2015 to present. An animated production of the Thunderbirds.

#8 6 years ago

while it wa made in the 60s, it has never left Australian TV
6.00am, saturday morning. Thunderbirds
it has been on continuously for the last 50 years

Mike target buyer for his first game was Australians, get the factory up and running, prove that he can produce the goods, THEN , sell to the world

#9 6 years ago

I'm only in my 20s but thunderbirds was on tv here when i was growing up, one of the better old shows that used to be shown for kids. I never thought about if it was popular in the u.s.a to be honest and while i wouldn't say it was popular with my generation it was well known and stands out a lot against other tv shows

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

. Astounding. I was watching the intro and at the end they just started blowing up the landscape.
Probably part of an episode but. Wow. And they all got paid to do this back then.
Watching.

Right!? Paid to do the super version of what we all did in our our back yards back then. Lighting model tanks and planes on fire and all that.

Getting paid to blow toys up. What a life:

#11 6 years ago

TAG_Flyer_Small_P1 (resized).jpgTAG_Flyer_Small_P1 (resized).jpg

TAG_Flyer_Small_P2 (resized).jpgTAG_Flyer_Small_P2 (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago

note also, the names of the Thunderbird crew members were named after the Mercury astronauts

two of the puppets are meant to look like Sean Connery

#13 6 years ago

Very creepy marionettes show in which some people are on a nostalgia trip with the upcoming pinball release.
or
A very cool old car
or
A very cool motorcycle
or
A crack team of pilots doing air shows
I'm sure there are some more.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Very creepy marionettes show in which some people are on a nostalgia trip with the upcoming pinball release.
or
A very cool old car
or
A very cool motorcycle
or
A crack team of pilots doing air shows
I'm sure there are some more.

How could you overlook the Adelaide Thunderbirds netball team....

#15 6 years ago

This is a fantastic little documentary.

#16 6 years ago

Never really watched Thunderbirds, but I've seen Team America a few times.

It's a spoof on Thunderbirds, but pokes fun at America and the whole "World Police" thing. Two thumbs up here, but certainly not for everyone.

#17 6 years ago

Team America is very creepy too! but at least it is funny

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Team America is very creepy too! but at least it is funny

Personally I find it far too crass. Unnecessary swearing and nonsense. I don't find it the slightest bit funny - it makes my skin crawl the things they say - just terrible all 'round.

#19 6 years ago

No way. It's hilarious. The crassier, the better

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

No way. It's hilarious. The crassier, the better

Fair enough if you like it - I don't. It would be a sad word if we were all the same.

#21 6 years ago

I am going to watch a couple full episodes, and then watch the team America movie.

The pin looks amazing. Too.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Personally I find it far too crass. Unnecessary swearing and nonsense. I don't find it the slightest bit funny - it makes my skin crawl the things they say - just terrible all 'round.

I don't mind crass shows but i just didn't find it funny at all

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

I don't mind crass shows but i just didn't find it funny at all

I suspect it's a cultural difference?

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

I don't think its really a cultural thing. South Park style humor can get pretty sick and depraved, I can see how a lot of people would find it distasteful and I can't really blame them. For me its OK. Then again, I have issues.

SenseOfHumor (resized).jpgSenseOfHumor (resized).jpg

#26 6 years ago

This was a really good parody of the show.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Meh, I didn't like it either. I'm also not a fan of South Park.

I think it's just a matter of taste.

#28 6 years ago

It is very lonely in space.

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/school-me-on-thunderbirds-please?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.