(Topic ID: 138823)

School me on Hook - What to do for big scores?

By LesManley

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by LarryMac
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Hook Data East, 1992
#1 8 years ago

I've played Hook and I can do well on it, but the default GC is 450 million and I haven't come close to that. What are scoring strategies for this game besides shooting the left ramp over and over for 3 million after you build it up? I must be missing something. Anyone have some good strategies for getting high scores on this game? I would love to hear them.

#2 8 years ago

Multiball can score a lot of points if you know how to nail the ramps. I remember the Jackpot values were pretty huge. 5 million?

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from Kineticross:

Multiball can score a lot of points if you know how to nail the ramps. I remember the Jackpot values were pretty huge. 5 million?

I believe the clock value is that for the right ramp 3 times too for AM, PM and to collect. I think 3 strikes in the right orbit is 5 million too.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Kineticross:

Jackpots increase to more than 5m by hitting the drops during MB (1m each?). Left ramp all day is pretty solid. It's just one of those safe return-able shots like Earthshaker where you just need to nail one shot over and over to cash in. Why bother with putting the ball into the pops 3 times for baseball when a ramp shot can get net you 3m? I usually go for MB just because it's more fun.

Hook has really simple rules, they're mostly laid out in the manual. No real hidden points for crazy scores I don't think.

#5 8 years ago

I assume you watched the papa video, but if you haven't.

http://papa.org/2012/12/03/hook-gameplay/

I'm a minute into the video. Left ramp all day.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

I assume you watched the papa video, but if you haven't.
http://papa.org/2012/12/03/hook-gameplay/
I'm a minute into the video. Left ramp all day.

Yeah Keith, I was looking for more than left ramp all day. The one at Sun Ray is not that easy to left ramp forever anyway. There has to be more there.

#7 8 years ago

Ahhh. Haven't stopped by to play it yet. Might be for the best.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Yeah Keith, I was looking for more than left ramp all day. The one at Sun Ray is not that easy to left ramp forever anyway. There has to be more there.

Have you tried right ramp all day? Right ramp twice starts a mode that lights the ramp (and VUK?) for 5m but I don't remember the specifics. The local Hook had very weak flippers so you couldn't really hit the left ramp beyond a very lucky shot, but the right ramp was much easier to make. I realize you want a more in depth strategy than ramp all day but we are talking Data East here.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Have you tried right ramp all day? Right ramp twice starts a mode that lights the ramp (and VUK?) for 5m but I don't remember the specifics. The local Hook had very weak flippers so you couldn't really hit the left ramp beyond a very lucky shot, but the right ramp was much easier to make. I realize you want a more in depth strategy than ramp all day but we are talking Data East here.

Yeah. 2 shots to the right ramp starts the croc clock. Another shot awards points. Not sure how to get more, I've gotten anywhere between 5-45 million.

Seems multiball is the way to go on this pin. I got 321 million today after a 276 game. Getting going on the jackpots is huge.

#10 8 years ago

Croc clock repeatedly is pretty solid, multiball becomes hard to lite, use both.

1 month later
#11 8 years ago

Make the skull shot to light the "Skull 20 Million" scoop shot. Make the scoop shot, then make the skull shot to score the 20M. I'm pretty sure that's the most points from a single shot (well, combination of shots).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/school-me-on-hook-what-to-do-for-big-scores and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.