(Topic ID: 270583)

School Me On Fiberglass Pools

By YZRider926

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0B3F04A3-C6CF-49CB-912C-ECDE59909D54 (resized).jpeg
    7446023A-C10D-4D68-B351-010F84A04942 (resized).jpeg
    1186E822-11C5-49AB-BE12-18CBDC05C8BE (resized).jpeg
    E3DC28A9-68F5-4D1D-AAF3-110E4D84E341 (resized).jpeg
    B5852778-283E-4009-8C24-20E12840F5F3 (resized).jpeg
    FB326568-6470-4544-8AC1-884420527262 (resized).jpeg
    FD90F986-CB56-4181-8223-821FAA1937B2 (resized).jpeg
    DAEFFBF7-E5FB-4905-AD38-73A1F2898441 (resized).jpeg
    3E4ABB79-14BA-49C3-923D-436363B7C371 (resized).jpeg
    642D7059-BDAF-46CA-92D5-F132F343B94D (resized).jpeg
    1AD83F27-01C5-4F53-B541-41D154DFC7AB (resized).jpeg
    47FBED06-5663-4C79-96BD-2DA63189D214 (resized).jpeg
    CEE3D021-5D61-49D8-804B-BA7CBC514BEF (resized).jpeg
    BFE6B9D3-99D4-4D11-9196-965B1311F672 (resized).jpeg
    F1402097-1B0F-473D-936A-814C09BCDB78 (resized).jpeg
    6D3EC5B5-2E3A-429C-98B1-BB7AE01CFF26 (resized).jpeg
    There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from MT45:

Not sure with kids as young as yours that this makes sense for you but my wife and I just ordered a 19' swim spa from PDC
    We priced out a pool first and finally settled on the swim spa. Price was < half what a fiberglass pool would have been. Granted it's a ton smaller but our kids are all grown.
    The swimming area is still big enough for 5 or 6 people to get in and cool down in the summer. It has a hot tub on the other end.
    You can swim in place in the swimming section as that end produces a steady flow of water from 3 powerful jets
    Each section can be heated independently as well
    I've got the excavation completed (contactor) and just finished the framing (yours truly) so it can be placed below grade allowing the top to be at deck level
    Just waiting for delivery here in the next month or so[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

if that works for you it's cool. If I had to do it again, I would build a larger and deeper pool every time. Size does matter.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from MT45:

Not sure with kids as young as yours that this makes sense for you but my wife and I just ordered a 19' swim spa from PDC
    We priced out a pool first and finally settled on the swim spa. Price was < half what a fiberglass pool would have been. Granted it's a ton smaller but our kids are all grown.
    The swimming area is still big enough for 5 or 6 people to get in and cool down in the summer. It has a hot tub on the other end.
    You can swim in place in the swimming section as that end produces a steady flow of water from 3 powerful jets
    I've got the excavation completed (contactor) and just finished the framing (yours truly) so it can be placed below grade allowing the top to be at deck level
    Just waiting for delivery here in the next month or so[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This is cool man. If I did not have a 6 year old I would be all over something like this.

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I have to heat with propane, so it's expensive as hell. Once it hits 79, it usually will stay there if we use the solar cover overnight. With the cost of one of those that you have, the ROI would probably be like 25 years or something since my pool is larger.
    Looks cool as hell though.

We will have propane as well so heater is a no go. How well does the solar cover work once you get into the colder months?

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

We will have propane as well so heater is a no go. How well does the solar cover work once you get into the colder months?

It works pretty well, but it depends on direct sun. Once the temp drops lower overnight, it isn't much good. We had to replace our heater a few years ago, and I was looking into solar options, but they were not practical for us. I was going to go with a smaller heater, but someone told me to get the largest I could. Glad I did as when it's needed, it can raise the temp in a very short time, so we don't use it very often at all.

#55 3 years ago

Well we finally talked to a few companies. Things are moving forward slowly. Have at least one company coming out in late July to take a look at our backyard and gives us a quote. Supposed to have a meeting with the other company’s designer at the end of this month.

#56 3 years ago

My wife created this sign for our gate.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a32 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a32 (resized).jpg
    #57 3 years ago

I just uploaded video of the crane lifting my pool in.

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

My wife created this sign for our gate.
    [quoted image]

Great sign but she missed a great opportunity there. It needs one more attachment under the "members only" portion that says "frolicking around encouraged".

My last name is Holliday so I get the Holliday Inn jokes all the time (which get's old some) so hopefully the above isn't offensive to you, but I just couldn't resist as it's just to perfect for that instance.

#59 3 years ago

found another pic. Also had the pergola installed, outdoor kitchen and cabana shower and toilet. I actually had a sewage line excavated and attached to my house. This means when we have visitors for the pool, no one needs to come inside the house for any reason.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a9b (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a9b (resized).jpg
    #60 3 years ago

All of these pool choices, yet none of you have the ability to travel with them.... You are all fools....

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #61 3 years ago
    Quoted from JRBBRJ:

I fix swimming pools...fiberglass pools are the worst to redo because they are itchy as can be when needing to grind for a resurface. That being said they are great for the consumer. Smoother surface over time as long as water balance is maintained. This is where a salt system helps.

The best advice I can give is keep your water right and your pool will last for a very long time. Neglect a pool for a year or five and that’s when someone like me is called.

I'm actually curious what kind of neglect leads to the problems you are talking about?

#62 3 years ago

All depends on the surface. Water neglect is worse in areas of freeze thaw (like here in Denver) Have you ever tried to water vacuum a pool and have the vacuum on the surface create a cloud even though it has suction. That cloud is the surface starting to disintegrate.

Plaster pools will get rough to the foot, and material will start leaching off pool surface. If you ever clean out the pool filter and water runoff looks more thick in color like skim milk than water. That means you paint and plaster are slowly disintegrating. Or cracks after a freeze thaw where proper winterizing hasn’t occurred.

Vinyl liners get sun spots over time which causes a slow stretch thus thinning the vinyl eventually causing it to leak. This is accelerated with bad water chemistry.

Fiberglass here tends to be covered with epoxy paint. if water gets between paint and fiberglass it will pop and make a bubble. It if chemistry is bad it will cause a fissure that will turn into a bubble. Once epoxy is thin it also leaches into the water. Creating a cloudy pool. Eventually when they are bad enough even the fiberglass gets leaks.

That’s when I come in and prep for new epoxy and grind out, seal cracks, etc. plaster is dustier. Fiberglass when grinding it you get these little slivers of it in your forearms and any exposed skin. Takes about three days to stop itching.

#63 3 years ago

This is where I am this week. 40 year old fiberglass pool on top of a apartment building. Metal, then fiberglass, then white epoxy paint then two different colors of blue. Which tells me this isn’t first time this ones been redone. Darkest blue is what I took off entire pool. Entire surface needs to be scratched for new epoxy primer to adhere to it. Tile first though.

D91A2402-81BB-40A5-8C56-75F14CAB4A1E (resized).jpegD91A2402-81BB-40A5-8C56-75F14CAB4A1E (resized).jpeg
    #64 3 years ago

I have had two pools over the last 15 years. I installed a salt cell in the 1st and the one I have now has one installed now that I don't use. no salt in the pool and turned off. A salt cell breaks the salt down into chlorine it turn back into salt and the process starts over sounds great. Here is the bad, The salt cell is quite expensive, It only works above about 70 degree, It still is just chlorine, If you run it year around it won't last very long, Mine lasted 1.5 years. The salt will get on your out door furniture and is very corrosive. Number one reason I use chlorine is hundred dollars a year in chlorine done. bottom line is it is still just chlorine.

#65 3 years ago

I agree. On a year round pool with proper chlorine chemistry is the best solution and bang for your buck. However a salt system done right on a seasonal pool with an automatic cover tends to macro out to similar cost over life of pool and it is more set it and forget it than chlorine. (Also depends on size of pool and other factors of course) At least in Denver with it’s shorter season. That is my only market experience.

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from JRBBRJ:

when someone like me is called.

May need to get your number man! Every once in awhile the old girl throws me a curve ball. Like last year when the wife accidentally dropped a large handful of weeds she pulled into the skimmer when the basket was out! Holy Crap! My suction line stopped up and I had to call a guy over that had some kind of Leaf Blower looking contraption. It gave the pool the Hiemlik Maneuver and it came right out. It seems like every few years I get some kind of weird instance that leaves me scratching my head.

2 months later
    #67 3 years ago
    Quoted from MT45:

Any updates on your swim spa? How are you enjoying it? We just ordered a 17' Hydropool swim spa as well. Both my kids are older and we wanted something that we could use all year up here in Canada. This is the before and the planned after. Because of COVID, the demand is really high right now so we have to wait until March 2021 for delivery.

Backyard Side View 2 (resized).jpgBackyard Side View 2 (resized).jpg7 (resized).jpg7 (resized).jpg
    4 weeks later
    #68 3 years ago

Still in my pool oct 5. Opened in April.

435A413D-2546-4A9D-AA7D-FDF987312BC7 (resized).jpeg435A413D-2546-4A9D-AA7D-FDF987312BC7 (resized).jpeg
    6 months later
    #69 3 years ago

So an update we should have our pool by the end of the summer. Sucks but maybe we’ll get to use it for a couple of weeks. We’re going with River Pools and getting the D36. https://www.riverpoolsandspas.com/d-series-fiberglass-pool

I would of opted for the D40 personally but the wife didn’t want to.

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from YZRider926:

So an update we should have our pool by the end of the summer. Sucks but maybe we’ll get to use it for a couple of weeks. We’re going with River Pools and getting the D36. https://www.riverpoolsandspas.com/d-series-fiberglass-pool
    I would of opted for the D40 personally but the wife didn’t want to.

We just got one like L36 installed and are loving it. My daughter is already doing some swimming. So far loving the fiberglass with salt and UV filter. So easy to maintain.

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

We just got one like L36 installed and are loving it. My daughter is already doing some swimming. So far loving the fiberglass with salt and UV filter. So easy to maintain.

Nice we’re going with the UV system as well.

#72 3 years ago

Here’s a photo of mine. Sorry about the photo, it’s from my bedroom window and the screen is in the way.
    It’s gunite.
    Natural gas heater. Highly recommend it when you install.
    Automatic pool cover. Highly recommend when you install. This keeps all the leaves and crap out of your pool at night when you’re in bed. Especially if you have a big storm. This is a must!
    The pool decking are individual tiles that my wife and I found at a resort in Miami. The tiles stay about 8-12 degrees cooler on your feet. Some of them have seashells built into the tiles. Pretty cool and definitely recommend. Can’t remember the name of the company but they delivered on a trailer from Florida.
    The different colored lights in the pool(install on both ends of the pool) are great at night.
    I had some small pieces of different colored glass 2x2 inches installed in different sections of the pool level with the gunite in the pool floor as reference points and they’re gorgeous. Very very expensive. From a company in California. Not necessary but neat.
    Installed giant umbrellas in on each end of the the pool deck that open up and provide plenty of shade but the close up with cover for the winter.

33D48B8A-7A2D-46CA-B6A9-A15CD66FDE0C (resized).jpeg33D48B8A-7A2D-46CA-B6A9-A15CD66FDE0C (resized).jpeg
    #73 3 years ago
    Quoted from kklank:

Here’s a photo of mine. Sorry about the photo, it’s from my bedroom window and the screen is in the way.
    It’s gunite.
    Natural gas heater. Highly recommend it when you install.
    Automatic pool cover. Highly recommend when you install. This keeps all the leaves and crap out of your pool at night when you’re in bed. Especially if you have a big storm. This is a must!
    The pool decking are individual tiles that my wife and I found at a resort in Miami. The tiles stay about 8-12 degrees cooler on your feet. Some of them have seashells built into the tiles. Pretty cool and definitely recommend. Can’t remember the name of the company but they delivered on a trailer from Florida.
    The different colored lights in the pool(install on both ends of the pool) are great at night.
    I had some small pieces of different colored glass 2x2 inches installed in different sections of the pool level with the gunite in the pool floor as reference points and they’re gorgeous. Very very expensive. From a company in California. Not necessary but neat.
    Installed giant umbrellas in on each end of the the pool deck that open up and provide plenty of shade but the close up with cover for the winter.[quoted image]

we are thinking about the auto cover, because we get really high winds coming off the lake. What do they run? we have read around $4k

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

we are thinking about the auto cover, because we get really high winds coming off the lake. What do they run? we have read around $4k

10k. Worth every penny.
    Get the rectangular pool for the automatic cover so it doesn’t run on the decking. This is critical.
    We have trees around the pool and it would be an absolute nightmare cleaning that crap all the time.
    Also opening and closing is very simple. Besides clearing out the lines, you drain the pool a few inches and push a button to close it up. Priceless.

#75 3 years ago

My automatic cover extends my season by months. We’re already swimming. All of the heat is captured like a giant water mattress. And all the spring mess doesn’t end up in the pool.

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from kklank:

10k. Worth every penny.
    Get the rectangular pool for the automatic cover so it doesn’t run on the decking. This is critical.
    We have trees around the pool and it would be an absolute nightmare cleaning that crap all the time.
    Also opening and closing is very simple. Besides clearing out the lines, you drain the pool a few inches and push a button to close it up. Priceless.

great info, thanks

#77 3 years ago

We thought about an auto cover but decided against it. Mainly a price factor. Love the idea though.

3 months later
    #78 2 years ago

Well the day has finally arrived. Still a few weeks until completed but at least it’s started.

6D3EC5B5-2E3A-429C-98B1-BB7AE01CFF26 (resized).jpeg6D3EC5B5-2E3A-429C-98B1-BB7AE01CFF26 (resized).jpegF1402097-1B0F-473D-936A-814C09BCDB78 (resized).jpegF1402097-1B0F-473D-936A-814C09BCDB78 (resized).jpeg
    #79 2 years ago

Congrats. This is my 5th season with my fiberglass pool, couldn't be happier. So little maintenance.

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from YZRider926:

Well the day has finally arrived. Still a few weeks until completed but at least it’s started.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Can you please show pics as the install goes. I take it thats blue plastic that pulls off after the install? Is there concrete under the pool or just stone?

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from Phbooms:

Can you please show pics as the install goes. I take it thats blue plastic that pulls off after the install? Is there concrete under the pool or just stone?

No that’s the color of the gel coat. Yes stone a a little bit of concrete. The electrician comes next week to hook up everything and then the patio goes in.

Pool is already in the ground. Took them 2 days.

BFE6B9D3-99D4-4D11-9196-965B1311F672 (resized).jpegBFE6B9D3-99D4-4D11-9196-965B1311F672 (resized).jpegCEE3D021-5D61-49D8-804B-BA7CBC514BEF (resized).jpegCEE3D021-5D61-49D8-804B-BA7CBC514BEF (resized).jpeg
    #82 2 years ago
    Quoted from YZRider926:

No that’s the color of the gel coat. Yes stone a a little bit of concrete. The electrician comes next week to hook up everything and then the patio goes in.
    Pool is already in the ground. Took them 2 days.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Sweet man! Kids look HAPPY! What size overall is the pool? Looks like the size we want to get.

#83 2 years ago
    Quoted from Phbooms:

Sweet man! Kids look HAPPY! What size overall is the pool? Looks like the size we want to get.

16x36. 6’2” in the deep end. It’s the River Pools D-36. The biggest is the D-40. Wish we would of gone bigger but I’ll be happy with this. Cost was already getting up there.

3 weeks later
    #84 2 years ago

Some updated pics. Electric is done and trench is filled in. They moved a lot of dirt and gravel for the patio today.

1AD83F27-01C5-4F53-B541-41D154DFC7AB (resized).jpeg1AD83F27-01C5-4F53-B541-41D154DFC7AB (resized).jpeg3E4ABB79-14BA-49C3-923D-436363B7C371 (resized).jpeg3E4ABB79-14BA-49C3-923D-436363B7C371 (resized).jpeg47FBED06-5663-4C79-96BD-2DA63189D214 (resized).jpeg47FBED06-5663-4C79-96BD-2DA63189D214 (resized).jpeg642D7059-BDAF-46CA-92D5-F132F343B94D (resized).jpeg642D7059-BDAF-46CA-92D5-F132F343B94D (resized).jpegDAEFFBF7-E5FB-4905-AD38-73A1F2898441 (resized).jpegDAEFFBF7-E5FB-4905-AD38-73A1F2898441 (resized).jpegFB326568-6470-4544-8AC1-884420527262 (resized).jpegFB326568-6470-4544-8AC1-884420527262 (resized).jpegFD90F986-CB56-4181-8223-821FAA1937B2 (resized).jpegFD90F986-CB56-4181-8223-821FAA1937B2 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #85 2 years ago

They got it framed up. Still needs a little more gravel and then hopefully they pour the concrete tuesday of next week.

B5852778-283E-4009-8C24-20E12840F5F3 (resized).jpegB5852778-283E-4009-8C24-20E12840F5F3 (resized).jpeg
    #86 2 years ago
    Quoted from YZRider926:

They got it framed up. Still needs a little more gravel and then hopefully they pour the concrete tuesday of next week.
    [quoted image]

How's the pool itself working for you?

#87 2 years ago

nice looking pool. This was our first season with a fiberlass pool and we did a salt water system. I have been blown away at how little maintenance we have done. I run the robot cleaner every Saturday morning and that is it. Water/chemicals have been perfect all year.

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

nice looking pool. This was our first season with a fiberlass pool and we did a salt water system. I have been blown away at how little maintenance we have done. I run the robot cleaner every Saturday morning and that is it. Water/chemicals have been perfect all year.

I'm finishing my 5th season and that has been my experience the entire time. Couldn't be happier.

#89 2 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

How's the pool itself working for you?

We used it a few times last month. Loving it so far. Its taken a little longer than expected with concrete but seems to be the norm these days. Unfortunately we didnt get the heater but plan too once they can get them.

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from YZRider926:

We used it a few times last month. Loving it so far. Its taken a little longer than expected with concrete but seems to be the norm these days. Unfortunately we didnt get the heater but plan too once they can get them.

Ah, without a heater that will greatly affect your swim days for certain. Well, I'm glad you saw some use this season.

#92 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

what heater did you guys go with?

I have an all Hayward system, and use a Hayward Natural Gas 250k BTU heater. It's plenty for my 40 foot pool with hot tub.

#93 2 years ago

Ill be getting a heat pump.

#94 2 years ago

You will love the River Pools fiber glass pool. I got mine installed last year - so far so good!

1186E822-11C5-49AB-BE12-18CBDC05C8BE (resized).jpeg1186E822-11C5-49AB-BE12-18CBDC05C8BE (resized).jpegE3DC28A9-68F5-4D1D-AAF3-110E4D84E341 (resized).jpegE3DC28A9-68F5-4D1D-AAF3-110E4D84E341 (resized).jpeg
    #95 2 years ago

Is that the R series? I’m glad we went with D series. The tanning ledge has been nice and my kids love it.

#96 2 years ago

Yep, R28. I went back and forth a bit but due to the size of my backyard I wanted a bit more swim space. The ledge is nice though.

#97 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bluthgg:

Yep, R28. I went back and forth a bit but due to the size of my backyard I wanted a bit more swim space. The ledge is nice though.

Yeah we were originally looking at the D32 but went with the D36 for the same reason.

#98 2 years ago

Started pouring the concrete today. Need to bring in more dirt for the backside though.

7446023A-C10D-4D68-B351-010F84A04942 (resized).jpeg7446023A-C10D-4D68-B351-010F84A04942 (resized).jpeg
    #99 2 years ago

Last one for awhile. Concrete is done. Still need to bring in dirt and grade a little and figure out where we want the fence and some landscaping.

0B3F04A3-C6CF-49CB-912C-ECDE59909D54 (resized).jpeg0B3F04A3-C6CF-49CB-912C-ECDE59909D54 (resized).jpeg
    #100 2 years ago

Are you required to fence in your pool in your area?

There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/school-me-on-fiberglass-pools/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.