(Topic ID: 270583)

School Me On Fiberglass Pools

By YZRider926

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0B3F04A3-C6CF-49CB-912C-ECDE59909D54 (resized).jpeg
    7446023A-C10D-4D68-B351-010F84A04942 (resized).jpeg
    1186E822-11C5-49AB-BE12-18CBDC05C8BE (resized).jpeg
    E3DC28A9-68F5-4D1D-AAF3-110E4D84E341 (resized).jpeg
    B5852778-283E-4009-8C24-20E12840F5F3 (resized).jpeg
    FB326568-6470-4544-8AC1-884420527262 (resized).jpeg
    FD90F986-CB56-4181-8223-821FAA1937B2 (resized).jpeg
    DAEFFBF7-E5FB-4905-AD38-73A1F2898441 (resized).jpeg
    3E4ABB79-14BA-49C3-923D-436363B7C371 (resized).jpeg
    642D7059-BDAF-46CA-92D5-F132F343B94D (resized).jpeg
    1AD83F27-01C5-4F53-B541-41D154DFC7AB (resized).jpeg
    47FBED06-5663-4C79-96BD-2DA63189D214 (resized).jpeg
    CEE3D021-5D61-49D8-804B-BA7CBC514BEF (resized).jpeg
    BFE6B9D3-99D4-4D11-9196-965B1311F672 (resized).jpeg
    F1402097-1B0F-473D-936A-814C09BCDB78 (resized).jpeg
    6D3EC5B5-2E3A-429C-98B1-BB7AE01CFF26 (resized).jpeg

There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 3 years ago

So the Wife and I are thinking about getting a pool. We have 5 kids with the oldest being 12 and the youngest being 3, so getting use out of it isn’t much of a concern. We are in VA so obviously won’t be year round use. Plan to get a heater but will probably hold off at first and add one later.

For those that have one what would you do differently or recommend I look out for? I’ve more or less narrowed it down to fiberglass vs vinyl or concrete. Is fiberglass as low maintenance as the claim and cheaper to maintain? I’ve read the pros and cons to an extent but was hoping to get some real world feedback from people that actually have them.

#2 3 years ago

I put a pool in almost 20 years ago. Decided on fiberglass over gunite. I've always had a gunite pool and had to deal with acid washing, cracking, rough surfaces. Now with the fiberglass I've had zero issues. It insulates better, chemicals don't leach out and nice and smooth on your feet with the gel-coat. The negative with fiberglass is you are stuck with what they make. Mine is 16x40, would have liked bigger but the trade off was worth it.

I have always maintained myself, never a service. Use saltwater and very easy.
    I will say my biggest regret is not getting a rectangle over a free form so the automatic cover rides under the coping rather than on top of the concrete. I've had to replace my cover 4 times now.

Go to https://www.troublefreepool.com/forums/ for lots of help. Most important is a good test kit and NEVER trust a pool store.
    PM me and I am more than happy to tell you my thoughts if you want.

#3 3 years ago

Thanks for the reply. Still just trying to get someone to come out and give me a quote. Don’t plan on having it done this summer as much as I would like too. Figuring it’s going to be at least 60k for a turn key solution. Would love to get a pool that size but probably out of our budget. Was looking at a rectangular pool with a tanning ledge. Thinking 28-32 feet long and about 14 feet wide. Got plenty of space for one but my property isn’t completely flat. Hoping I don’t need an retaining walls.

Good to hear that the maintenance and cost is close to what I’ve been researching.

#4 3 years ago

Go to the trouble free pool site. There is a topic on construction that will have lots of insight. Also research your equipment, especially on trouble free pool. Don't expect you builder to give you what's best for you. They usually install what's cheapest for them.

#5 3 years ago

I am having one installed now and went with fiberglass. My mom had a fiberglass and it was virtually maintenance free. We did not want to have to mess with replacing liners every 3-5 years either. We got a rectangle, 16 X 32 X 7 foot deep. Everything was $48k

#6 3 years ago

I have a 38’x20’ inground sports pool with vinyl liner thats been here since 2006.It has a salt generator and colorlogic led pool lighting for $25,500.Were putting in a new liner,and accessories to freshen up look for $3,800.We were alittle afraid of fiberglass because some people in this area had ones that heaved upward

#7 3 years ago

Liners should last longer than 3-5 years. We got 10 from our last one. Pretty easy maintenance with a liner pool. Biggest issue with fiberglass is that most don't offer much depth... 5' seems to be the norm.

#8 3 years ago

I blow my pool up every spring, no liner, nothing, trouble free. It's about 5' around and 8" deep - safe for everyone!

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Liners should last longer than 3-5 years. We got 10 from our last one. Pretty easy maintenance with a liner pool. Biggest issue with fiberglass is that most don't offer much depth... 5' seems to be the norm.

Mine is 8'

#10 3 years ago

Couldn't pull the trigger, but I was looking into this company after doing my research.

https://www.riverpoolsandspas.com/

That was a few years ago, so I'd love if someone had some feedback on them.

Good luck OP.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from avspin:

Most important is a good test kit and NEVER trust a pool store.

I second that. I used to do a head-to-head comparison two pool stores that did testing across the street from each other. One used a machine, and the other used dropper system. I would take samples in each of their bottles and take them in to see what they each said compared to what I was seeing with my home test kit. (Being color-blind made this task a little challenging for me)

What I found....the pool store with the machine test always recommended more chemicals than the other. Looking closer at the data, the machine test store had their parameters way tighter than general poor care guidelines.
    For example, Alkalinity. Industry recommendation is 80-120, but they had 90-110. Then they would recommend adding chemicals one way or the other. Whereas the visual test store would be within the larger range. And if the rest was a little off, they would say “let’s keep an eye on it next week and see if we need to take action”

The machine test store, I always felt like I was chasing “bad water” in one direction or the other...like it never felt right

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Yea, they are starting to make them deeper these days. Ours will be 7 which i think is plenty. I have heard if you keep you chemicals right they last longer. A friend of mine barely got 3 seasons out of his last one before the tornado destroyed it.

#13 3 years ago

Tuning in as my family is begging for a pool.

#14 3 years ago

Trouble Free Pool and Pinside are my two go-to websites every day! You will get great advice on both sites!

I have a smallish inground 15 year old gunite pool with a spa that waterfalls into the pool when the pump is on (and the appropriate valve is on). I replaced pretty much all of the mechanicals last year (pumps, heater, filter and valves). It is a salt water pool with a generator to make the chlorine to sanitize it. It is indeed trouble-free, though I do have to add acid (every week or 2) to keep the pH in check.

A fiberglass pool would probably be perfect for you; gunite pools are fine if you want a funky non-standard layout or color, but the new fiberglass pools look pretty nice and have a good history of reliability. Get a good, reliable, experienced installer and go for it!

Avoid the pool stores at all costs when it comes to water maintenance - I'm sure some are fine, but many just want to keep selling you stuff you do not need.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from homegameroom:

Trouble Free Pool and Pinside are my two go-to websites every day! You will get great advice on both sites!
    I have a smallish inground 15 year old gunite pool with a spa that waterfalls into the pool when the pump is on (and the appropriate valve is on). I replaced pretty much all of the mechanicals last year (pumps, heater, filter and valves). It is a salt water pool with a generator to make the chlorine to sanitize it. It is indeed trouble-free, though I do have to add acid (every week or 2) to keep the pH in check.
    A fiberglass pool would probably be perfect for you; gunite pools are fine if you want a funky non-standard layout or color, but the new fiberglass pools look pretty nice and have a good history of reliability. Get a good, reliable, experienced installer and go for it!
    Avoid the pool stores at all costs when it comes to water maintenance - I'm sure some are fine, but many just want to keep selling you stuff you do not need.

I added an IntelliPH from Pentair. It goes inline before the salt water generator (helps keep the fins clean) and it doses acid in very small amount daily. My IC40 plugs into it and controls both chlorine generation and acid. My ph & chlorine are very stable.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from homegameroom:

Trouble Free Pool and Pinside are my two go-to websites every day!

Me too! The two tabs I have open everyday, Pinside and Trouble free pool.

#17 3 years ago

We have a very old inground fiberglass pool. Ours is 9’ 36’ X 16’ I think we pretty much have replaced everything now. I had to do a skimmer this year. That was a chore! We a have a 400,000 btu furnase that will turn this thing into 34,000 gallon hot tub in a few hours. I think this thing was installed in late seventies.

5090E44F-9DEC-4DCD-BD70-52EC94D3A207 (resized).jpeg5090E44F-9DEC-4DCD-BD70-52EC94D3A207 (resized).jpeg

#18 3 years ago

Here's mine, installed 2002.

2020-05-24 15.34.10.jpg2020-05-24 15.34.10.jpg

2020-05-24 15.34.42.jpg2020-05-24 15.34.42.jpg
    #19 3 years ago
    F1997E7E-9DBE-4E58-B2BF-F58D9EBE34EA (resized).jpegF1997E7E-9DBE-4E58-B2BF-F58D9EBE34EA (resized).jpeg
    #20 3 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Ditto.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from avspin:

ere's mine, installed 2002.

Beautiful!

#22 3 years ago

I was always told "the pond would be good for you". So...

15917429072301128609551 (resized).jpg15917429072301128609551 (resized).jpg
    #23 3 years ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

I was always told "the pond would be good for you". So...
    [quoted image]

Cannonball ... cannonball comin

#24 3 years ago

"your on Briar right "

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Couldn't pull the trigger, but I was looking into this company after doing my research.
    https://www.riverpoolsandspas.com/
    That was a few years ago, so I'd love if someone had some feedback on them.
    Good luck OP.

That’s one of the company’s I’m looking at too. There only a couple hours from me.

#26 3 years ago

So seems like the saltwater systems are popular and I personally know a few people that have them. Guessing it’s worth the extra up front coin to get a salt water system vs chlorine using chemicals.

Wife called an installer today and they said expect to pay between 60-75k for a turn key solution. Had another company tell me a minimum of 60k. Supposed to have a call with river pools on Thursday. The company we spoke with today said they can’t even come out to survey the property and gives us a quote until the end of July. I figured living closer to DC we would pay more. Hopefully we can get what we want closer to 60K or less.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from YZRider926:

So seems like the saltwater systems are popular and I personally know a few people that have them. Guessing it’s worth the extra up front coin to get a salt water system vs chlorine using chemicals.
    Wife called an installer today and they said expect to pay between 60-75k for a turn key solution. Had another company tell me a minimum of 60k. Supposed to have a call with river pools on Thursday. The company we spoke with today said they can’t even come out to survey the property and gives us a quote until the end of July. I figured living closer to DC we would pay more. Hopefully we can get what we want closer to 60K or less.

Wow is that for just the pool and equipment? What about patio area around the pool?

#28 3 years ago

We are in San Diego. i’m sorry, I haven’t read the thread. but wanted to give you my experience. Been in the family for 35 years. The same company that fiberglass the pool 31 years ago, just re-fiberglass that last summer. it is the way to go far as I’m concerned. there really is no maintenance other than weekly chemicals. Hopefully it’ll last another 31 years! It wasn’t even that bad when we got to replaced. Just couldn’t touch your sensitive skin to the walls. and would get a little cloudy because of the dissolving resin. but now it’s perfect.

#29 3 years ago

That just seems really high but I guess cost is way different around the country. Friend got a gunitte pool with 3 water features, salt water and heated for 55k 3 years ago.. First person I talked to said my 60k budget was in line with what we wanted (spa, sun shelf and small waterfall in a free form pool. These aren't the sizes though the fiberglass ones above are but not tiny either.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Wow is that for just the pool and equipment? What about patio area around the pool?

That was for everything. Pool, installation, patio, fence, permits. I’m hoping it’s for a larger pool haha. To be honest I don’t have much of anything to go by as I’ve never priced one out before. This was also an over the phone kind of thing so not like any details have been worked out yet. Seems to be in line for a turn key solution. From googling it says the national average is between 45k and 85k.

My co workers did one 5 years ago and paid about 65k. They had to have a retaining wall built however. The company they used was also pretty shady and did a piss poor job. Needless to say they love the pool but had to redo all of the concrete work.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Yea, they are starting to make them deeper these days. Ours will be 7 which i think is plenty. I have heard if you keep you chemicals right they last longer. A friend of mine barely got 3 seasons out of his last one before the tornado destroyed it.

Look at you man just rebuilt after your tornado and talking about installing a pool.I'm glad your back from the disaster you went thru,we have this in common.I got more then I expected after our tornado and installed a inground after everything else was done.Good luck!

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from YZRider926:

Yeah, I'm close enough to NYC/Westchester County so I'm certain my costs were inflated as well. My initial plan (turnkey) was quoted at 85k I believe (33 ft long or something like that). I was like, WHAT???? After some reduction of features, fencing and patio area it turned into 60k. Of course, then I was left with near bare bones, which, if I'm making a big investment like that, I couldn't see as reasonable.

Hope you get some great quotes and can build your Oasis!

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Look at you man just rebuilt after your tornado and talking about installing a pool.I'm glad your back from the disaster you went thru,we have this in common.I got more then I expected after our tornado and installed a inground after everything else was done.Good luck!

Yea, we come out pretty darn good. It was a terrible thing but it is working out. They about got the new house framed.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Yea, we come out pretty darn good. It was a terrible thing but it is working out. They about got the new house framed.

It’s fun and stressful to go thru the build I’m happy for you man

#35 3 years ago

Had this pool since 2003 original liner just opened it up for this year!

9B2CB8D4-7009-4049-AF2B-AF8E2EC0D977 (resized).jpeg9B2CB8D4-7009-4049-AF2B-AF8E2EC0D977 (resized).jpeg

#36 3 years ago

Here's mine, a 16 x 40 "The Ultimate" from Leisure Pools. I love it. It's salt water, so little maintenance. And I went for the CoverStar automatic cover, which extends my swimming season to 6 months in Toronto. All the energy from the pool heat doesn't immediately evaporate, and all the leaves stay out. CoverStar was expensive, but as I said, I get months extra every year because of it.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1819 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1819 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_181d (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_181d (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a89 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a89 (resized).jpg
    #37 3 years ago

I fix swimming pools...fiberglass pools are the worst to redo because they are itchy as can be when needing to grind for a resurface. That being said they are great for the consumer. Smoother surface over time as long as water balance is maintained. This is where a salt system helps.

The best advice I can give is keep your water right and your pool will last for a very long time. Neglect a pool for a year or five and that’s when someone like me is called.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

+1 on that. My wife and kid are relentless as I just begun researching again.
    Seem to favor fiberglass and sticking with that.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Here's mine, a 16 x 40 "The Ultimate" from Leisure Pools. I love it. It's salt water, so little maintenance. And I went for the CoverStar automatic cover, which extends my swimming season to 6 months in Toronto. All the energy from the pool heat doesn't immediately evaporate, and all the leaves stay out. CoverStar was expensive, but as I said, I get months extra every year because of it.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

How do you get a 6 month season? I'm only on 4 1/2, and that is with a heater and plastic solar cover.

#40 3 years ago

Keep the cover on anytime you're not using the pool. Evaporation chills pools faster than you'd think... a dry, breezy day will easily shave 4-5 degrees F. If the cover gets rained on, get the water off so it's not evaporating and cooling the pool water underneath. If any trees are blocking the midday sun from your pool, it won't receive much solar heating so may need to trim. This should get you 6 months in a temperate climate.

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

How do you get a 6 month season? I'm only on 4 1/2, and that is with a heater and plastic solar cover.

The CoverStar turns my pool into a water mattress. It is completely sealed, you can step on it (it's a safety cover first). It's motorized like a garage door opener, so no effort to put it on and off. So it's open only when we're in the water.

I have photos of being in the pool mid april and also mid october.

#42 3 years ago

found a pic of me on it. Basically zero evaporation. I keep the water at 90 for early and late in the season. The air temp outside can be chilly but the water is volcanic and awesome.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_182f (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_182f (resized).jpg

#43 3 years ago

Had one for 15 years. Discovered the BB&B method of
    Pool maintenance and saved a bunch of money.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

found a pic of me on it. Basically zero evaporation. I keep the water at 90 for early and late in the season. The air temp outside can be chilly but the water is volcanic and awesome.
    [quoted image]

So you are heating the water?

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

I was going to ask this, are you heating it or the cover is heating it?

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

natural gas heater, yes.

The cover just means i'm not "heating the outdoors" and letting it all escape.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

[quoted image]

Stamped concrete deck? Looks good.

#48 3 years ago

Not sure with kids as young as yours that this makes sense for you but my wife and I just ordered a 19' swim spa from PDC

We priced out a pool first and finally settled on the swim spa. Price was < half what a fiberglass pool would have been. Granted it's a ton smaller but our kids are all grown.
    The swimming area is still big enough for 5 or 6 people to get in and cool down in the summer. It has a hot tub on the other end.
    You can swim in place in the swimming section as that end produces a steady flow of water from 3 powerful jets
    Each section can be heated independently as well

I've got the excavation completed (contactor) and just finished the framing (yours truly) so it can be placed below grade allowing the top to be at deck level
    Just waiting for delivery here in the next month or so

IMG_8235 (resized).JPGIMG_8235 (resized).JPGIMG_8237 (resized).JPGIMG_8237 (resized).JPGIMG_8331 (resized).jpgIMG_8331 (resized).jpgIMG_8366 (resized).jpgIMG_8366 (resized).jpgIMG_8370 (resized).jpgIMG_8370 (resized).jpgIMG_8427 (resized).jpgIMG_8427 (resized).jpg
    #50 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

natural gas heater, yes.
    The cover just means i'm not "heating the outdoors" and letting it all escape.

I have to heat with propane, so it's expensive as hell. Once it hits 79, it usually will stay there if we use the solar cover overnight. With the cost of one of those that you have, the ROI would probably be like 25 years or something since my pool is larger.

Looks cool as hell though.

There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/school-me-on-fiberglass-pools/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.