• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190810_143248 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190810_143336 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Does anyone have a line on schematics for Stern Spike boards 520-8029-00A or 520-7034-00A? I'm helping a friend with an SWP that has 3 failed LED boards connected to the lower node board. I want to take a crack at fixing these boards rather than purchasing replacements.

Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

I can’t find the schematics on my phone but here is a link

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-releases-spike-schematics-

#3 4 years ago

Thanks. I looked through those yesterday but could not find these specific boards.

The closest match is 520-6831-00 which is a 16 LED driver board. I'm guessing the basics of the watchdog and shift register are same, but these boards are 8 LED boards that use a different shift register and also include some circuitry around an LM339 that I think is used to fade the LEDs. There are a couple of components that I can't make out the markings for.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from scolson:

Thanks. I looked through those yesterday but could not find these specific boards.
The closest match is 520-6831-00 which is a 16 LED driver board. I'm guessing the basics of the watchdog and shift register are same, but these boards are 8 LED boards that use a different shift register and also include some circuitry around an LM339 that I think is used to fade the LEDs. There are a couple of components that I can't make out the markings for.

Do you have some close up pics?

Ya they were supposed to release schematics andddddd still haven’t. Since they did announce it, I assume it’s coming but they need some proper documentation done for it. Which isn’t the quickest or easiest thing to do.

#6 4 years ago

Here are pictures of the two boards. The 7034 board lights up the FORCE drop target inserts.

I put a contact request into Stern.

Thanks.

IMG_20190810_143248 (resized).jpgIMG_20190810_143248 (resized).jpgIMG_20190810_143336 (resized).jpgIMG_20190810_143336 (resized).jpg
#7 4 years ago

Check the (serial data?) connectors that chain from node board to lamp boards.

I had a bad connector at the node board in IM. I assume the flipper caused vibrations in a nearby the node board that made the solder joint bad. It caused all down stream boards connected to have wonky lamps. I put in new header because I could not just reflow the joints. The lead free solder refused to mix with my leaded solder and crap looking joints would form.

1 week later
#8 4 years ago

FYI Only....

I contacted Stern but they do not have schematics available for these boards.

This project has gone from helping a friend to full blown quest that defies practicality....

Assuming the shift register, watchdog and serial data out wiring are similar to the 16 LED board (520-6831-00B) that stern does supply a schematic for, I've built a test rig using a Raspberry Pi to simulate the serial data into the board and an old logic analyzer to check the data signals out of the board.

What I discovered is the 7043 board appears to be working perfectly! I guess it was pulled because one of the 8029 boards in front of it was bad.

However, all three 8029 boards appear to have a bad Schmidt Trigger that sends a signal to the serial out header. I can trace the data signal into this chip but not out of it.

I'm about 30 hour into this now and I have to decide if I really want to try to solder a surface mount chip that 2mm long.

#9 4 years ago

Thanks for the idea and the info on lead free vs leaded solder.

Quoted from barakandl:

Check the (serial data?) connectors that chain from node board to lamp boards.
I had a bad connector at the node board in IM. I assume the flipper caused vibrations in a nearby the node board that made the solder joint bad. It caused all down stream boards connected to have wonky lamps. I put in new header because I could not just reflow the joints. The lead free solder refused to mix with my leaded solder and crap looking joints would form.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/schematics-for-stern-spike-520-8029-00-520-7034-00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.