Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Darcy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Posted on another thread. Due to copyright enforcement through PBR you will not find any legal copies of GTB schematics on line. I was reading and saw this and wondered. Does PBR have any ownership rights to the company? In other words why do they protect schematics by all reason that should have been with the pin in the first place?

#2 6 years ago

Mondial has all Gottlieb rights. And will not think twice about protecting them.
    If you ask Steve Young @ PBR for something he will go out of his way to get it available for sale tho.
    -Mike

#4 6 years ago

This has been a long discussed topic, but in short, the current trademark holder is very protective over Gottlieb's intellectual properties and gave Steve Young (and a few others) exclusive rights to reproducing and selling officially licensed Gottlieb products.

IMHO, officially licensed products from Steve Young are the highest quality reproduced parts and paperwork that's out there for all games.

http://www.mondialgroup.com/gottlieb.htm

#5 6 years ago

^^^ This.

I don't think Steve has any say in how the IP is protected, so blame Gottlieb Development LLC
    (aka Mondial) if you disagree with the current business practices. He is just a licensee.

#7 6 years ago

I wonder about the legality of sharing your schematic with another pin owner that owns that pin. I know a few lawyers in another area (Business law)and will run it by them to see what they say.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from jeffc:Deleted post

It seems I worded that all wrong.
    -Mike

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

I wonder about the legality of sharing your schematic with another pin owner that owns that pin. I know a few lawyers in another area (Business law)and will run it by them to see what they say.

I consider that fair use (sharing with a single owner, for repair purposes). But I am not a lawyer.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

blame Gottlieb Development LLC
    (aka Mondial) if you disagree with the current business practices.

I remember when this who fiasco first started, and people were up in arms at the time; but I think through the years, the protective nature of the Gottlieb trademark has really helped tune the quality of official reproductions. The scene isn't watered down with a gazillion other reproducers doing half assed work like we see from other companies. Instead Pinball Resource churns out top notch products with the original equipment, dies, and prints, sometimes of better quality than the originals.

#11 6 years ago

People over the years have taken partial pictures, full high resolution pictures and posted those online when asking questions about a problem, how to solve that problem, or asking for help in reading a schematic. This topic is old, as the day is long in the summer months.

#12 6 years ago

"Purpose and character of the use, including whether the use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes: Courts look at how the party claiming fair use is using the copyrighted work, and are more likely to find that nonprofit educational and noncommercial uses are fair. This does not mean, however, that all nonprofit education and noncommercial uses are fair and all commercial uses are not fair; instead, courts will balance the purpose and character of the use against the other factors below. Additionally, “transformative” uses are more likely to be considered fair. Transformative uses are those that add something new, with a further purpose or different character, and do not substitute for the original use of the work."

I think "nonprofit educational purposes" are the operative words for this and other forums.

Read more here: https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html

#13 6 years ago

Why don't you just end all the drama and wrangling right here and buy a schematic for your game! Sheesh!

#14 6 years ago

JR what are you talking about?

Frankly I don't need a schematic but was wondering about the issue as I was reading posts is all. Why is it wrong to ask a question here on the board? mbaumle said it had been discussed before but I was not a member then so I knew nothing of it. I searched and came up with 97 pages which is way to many for me so I did the next best thing and asked.

Pardon me for asking.

#15 6 years ago

To me, it is just another "part" needed to restore a game.
    I am not in this for profit. It is a hobby. If it costs me to get the electrical drawing so be it.
    At least ALL of the Gottlieb drawings are available.

I always include all of the paperwork I have gathered in restoring a machine when I finally part with it but I do sometimes make a copy for myself.

#16 6 years ago

I think it is great to have a PDF manual on my computer or phone if I need to check something away from home.
    That said, I think the schematic from Steve is great. I do not mind paying $20 for a schematic of my $300+++ pin.

#17 6 years ago

I always buy a schematic if the pin doesn't come with one, and get it scanned at Staples ($2) so I have a PDF. My point is that it is legal to post that PDF if you are asking a question here.

#18 6 years ago

Wonder if we will ever know if current pinball companies have approached Gottlieb Development LLC. To ask if they could use Gottlieb trademarked artwork on a new game? Like a new Black Hole or Haunted House comes to mind (Other than the redone King of Diamonds by Retro Pinball in 2010).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/schematics-2?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.