Schematic help -- score reel switch positions

By jaybird5619

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

2 questions:
1). Can anyone give me the open/closed score reel positions for a 1974 Bally Champ (I'm assuming this is the same for similar-era games). I'm working on a project and the current switches are just all over the place ... so much so that I can't determine a pattern or which are right. Specifically, I need help with the the "1" - "8" positions. Position "9" is clearly Closed/Closed/Closed (starting with the switch closest to the solenoid) and position "0" is Open/Open/Open -- but the "1-8" switch positions seem to vary between Closed/Closed/Closed and Open/Closed/Closed.

2). Can anyone tell me how to read the schematic to figure this out myself? I have the schematic, but I'm just not advanced (aka "smart") enough to figure it out on my own.

#3 4 years ago

I have the same pin at home if any pictures, video, etc will help you out with anything.

#4 4 years ago

CD-- thanks. I had previously read the pin repair guide (which is definitely bookmarked) several times on this subject. But, as far as I can tell, that does not provide the open/closed positions for this specific machine. I know it says to look at other reels as example, but that's my problem -- they are too inconsistent. As noted, I have the schematic, but I'm afraid I'm too much of a novice to figure out those switch positions from that alone (but I'd like to learn).

Shaundburch -- would it be possible for you to pull a couple of score reels and tell me what switch positions you see for the "1" - "8" reel positions (that's where I'm getting the inconsistencies). Here's what I currently have (starting with the switch closest to the solenoid):

* Position "0" - Open/Open/Open (all reels)
* Position "9" - Closed/Closed/Closed (all reels)
* Positions "1" to "8" - Closed/Closed/Closed *OR* Open/Closed/Closed (more reels are O/C/C, but there are enough C/C/C to make me unsure).

If not too much to ask, maybe pull a few reels (including at least one 10,000 reel, as I understand they may be different since they don't hand off" to a higher value reel) and let me know what you get. Many thanks!!

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from jaybird5619:

CD-- thanks. I had previously read the pin repair guide (which is definitely bookmarked) several times on this subject. But, as far as I can tell, that does not provide the open/closed positions for this specific machine. I know it says to look at other reels as example, but that's my problem -- they are too inconsistent.

The sw. pos. are going to change when set correctly, so the guide is good for showing which sw. is which. For example, the '9' is going to be open until the sw. reaches 9 then it will close to send the pulse to the next reel up. Same idea for the '0' pos. sw.

#6 4 years ago

I can take a look to verify, but currieddog is correct....all the settings stay the same until the 9 hits. That usually "lifts" the switches to change the settings, the zero "lowers" everything to a resting state, then it goes back to the 1-8 state.

Here are my notes from working on a bunch of Gottlieb score reels. I'll make sure they operate the same on Champ and let you know.
(if i remember correctly, "Bottom" refers to the switch closest to the solenoid)

0=Bottom closed, others open
1-8= middle closed, others open
9=bottom open, other 2 closed

#7 4 years ago

Go to 2:26 on this for Bally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=16&v=wom6ND0pKdo

And from Clay's PinRepair: The point I'm trying to make is score reels are basically all the same. Here is what they all have in common:

A stepper solenoid to advance the reel.
A zero position switch which opens when the reel is at "zero". This is used in the game's reset process to set all the score reels at zero.
A nine position switch which closes when the reel is at "nine" (not all reels will have this, as this switch is used to advance the adjacent reel).
An EOS (End of Stroke) switch which closes when the score reel solenoid energizes (again not all score reels have that switch).
A circuit board with a rotating "finger" to sense where the score reel is currently set (used for Match and high score circuits). This is not on every score reel or every game.

#8 4 years ago

You have three runout switches on all games. One will be closed 1 thru nine for power from reset relay. One will close only on nine to share power to next reel. One will be the 0 switch which will only change state on 0.

#9 4 years ago

Thanks again, everybody. Good news. I powered it up and all score reels reset to "0". So far, so good.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/schematic-help-score-reel-switch-positions?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.