(Topic ID: 266035)

Schematic clarification needed for my sanity.....

By lpnsocal

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
motor Cam 1.pdf (PDF preview)
Cam 1D circuit (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

My learning curve on this Toledo EM has flattened. I was checking continuity on Cam switch #1D (M-B) and I am getting a a positive continuity test thru O-Blu regardless of the position of the cam and with the blade contacts not touching. R-O does make/break as the Cam rotates. The schematic says #1D O-Blu is the only switch normally closed(pic). I was always of the understanding if a switch was open there should be no circuit, so I began to look for shorts somewhere. I've circled the switch in question and shown via an orange line how I think I am getting a positive test with both blades(O-Blu & Y) removed from the stack and alligator clipped. All other switches in line to Coin Setup Relay were found to be in the state shown on schematic.

This can't be right, or what's the point of #1D being a M-B if O-Blu is getting it's Y from another circuit?

Additionally, by virtue of what I see right below on schematic, is the Lock RE always on?

Thanks for the help.

Cam 1D circuit (resized).jpgCam 1D circuit (resized).jpgmotor Cam 1.pdfmotor Cam 1.pdf
#2 4 years ago

The continuity function on DMMs can sometimes mislead you into thinking you have a short. In actuality, the DMM has simply found another circuit that is very high in resistance, going through other coils or back through the transformer.

Use the ohms function on your DMM and measure resistance instead. Be sure to press hard (or use strong alligator clips) on the point of measurement. Surface oxidation can cause resistance, which will give you an inaccurate reading.

As for your lock relay, it does appear as though it is always on when the game has power. Not all of the schematic, however, is pictured.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

Use the ohms function on your DMM and measure resistance instead. Be sure to press hard (or use strong alligator clips) on the point of measurement. Surface oxidation can cause resistance, which will give you an inaccurate reading.

That is a real pearl of info that another Pinsider also shared with me while working on this same machine, and I began using it exclusively over the tone. I should have been clearer, normally I get a reading between .05-.09 ohms on various tests through switches on the motor Cams or maybe from there to a relay. In the case of my " back door" circuit querie/complaint, I measured a 1.1ohm which is plenty low enough for a circuit(?)

Quoted from leckmeck:

As for your lock relay, it does appear as though it is always on when the game has power. Not all of the schematic, however, is pictured.

The Lock RE has only one switch and that is shown in Pic. It goes to the Game Over RE and based on schematic it's closed until the Lock RE is charged. I could not find the Lock RE anywhere else on schematic.

Ideas?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4 4 years ago

Hi Ipnsocal
what is Your "backdoor circuit query/complaint" ? What do You mean with "ideas" ? You do have the schematics - do You have the manual ? "Liberty Bell" is from that time - here https://www.ipdb.org/files/1436/Williams_1977_Liberty_Bell_Instruction_Manual.pdf on page-23 (ori-21) is the drawing of the Lock-Relay - ONE N.C.-Switch. What do You see in reality down in the cabinet in Your Toledo ? Greetings Rolf

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/schematic-clarification-needed-for-my-sanity and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.