Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by baldtwit
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

comic - schematic is cleveland map.pdf (PDF preview)
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 5 years ago

Is there an easy(ish) way to pick a section of a schematic, from
    Phil 's website, and print it. No mater how I set up what I want, when
    I print, I get the complete schematic.
    Terry K

#2 5 years ago

Print it to a PDF, then edit?

#3 5 years ago

Easy peezy way: If you are using Windows, use the built in 'SnipIt' app. Grab what you want displayed on the screen, click, done. Windows 7 you'd have to paste it in Word, etc. to print. Windows 10 lets you print directly from the app.

Example:
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#4 5 years ago

What I do on my mac is open the schematic, resize it so that the section I want to print is visible, do a screen shot of the section, copy the screen shot and paste it into Microsoft Word so I can scale the image to fit a page exactly. Then print from Word.

#5 5 years ago

A schematic is like a map. SO I took an e-copy to the local printing store and had them print the document as large as they could. Old guys need big print. My schematic is 2 x 6 feet and I fold it like a map. Sometime I look at just on section and other times I unfold the whole thing. It really impresses onlookers.

Tickety boo

Frank

#6 5 years ago
    comic - schematic is cleveland map.pdfcomic - schematic is cleveland map.pdf
    #7 5 years ago
    Quoted from KYBingo:

A schematic is like a map. SO I took an e-copy to the local printing store and had them print the document as large as they could. Old guys need big print. My schematic is 2 x 6 feet and I fold it like a map. Sometime I look at just on section and other times I unfold the whole thing. It really impresses onlookers.
    Tickety boo
    Frank

Did you take it to (for example) Staples ($2) or Kinkos ($6)?

#8 5 years ago

a possible problem with taking screen shots is you usually have reduced the image resolution and the print can be hard to read.

on windows, one of the easier tools to use is freeware program irfanview. Here's the basic shortcuts you need:
    - hold ctrl and scroll mouse wheel to zoom in/out
    - hold right mouse button down and drag to pan around image
    - hold left mouse button down and drag to make a selection box
    - ctrl-p to print. In print dialog you may want to select "best fit to page" for print size if you want a single page printout.

if your mouse doesn't have a scroll wheel, there's zoom +/- buttons in the top toolbar.

#9 5 years ago

I think I took my schematic to Staples. They had a banner printing machine. I don't remember what I was charged. I just like the LARGE PRINT. Now if I had a map that showed me where the components are in the machine I would really be on the road.

#10 5 years ago

I've already got a paper copy of the Bikini schematic, using the
    download from "bingo.cdyn.com"
    A friend of mine is a architect, he plotted(what ever that does) and
    made me three copies.
    What I am doing is, when I have an issue, and repaired it, I like to
    go to that section of the schematic and call out any switches that were
    involved; since the switches are usually not called out on the
    schematic.
    Thanks for the replys.
    "Twits" idea of the "irfanview" worked flawlessly!
    Terry K

#11 5 years ago

I use hi-liters on my paper schematic to let me know where I have been ... notes are made in red (to contrast with the black).

I am looking into a search that will allow me to search my e-manual and any other e-documents I have collected from the web. Correct nomenclature will be important. It will help me find the thing-a ma-jig and the you know that thing. Always learning. Still looking for those things that have lost their labels.

Thanks to all
    Frank

#12 5 years ago

Frank,how is your pin working
    When I am working on a prob I go to the manual and find
    the switch I'm looking for; the manual will show location
    as well as the numbered(colored) wires on the schematic.
    I then go back to the schematic, with the new found wire
    knowledge, and label the switch e.g R10 NO.
    I know the schematic calls out the diff between NO & NC,
    but, not referring to the schematic that often I find myself
    going back; is it NO or NC!!
    Terry K

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from KYBingo:

I am looking into a search that will allow me to search my e-manual and any other e-documents I have collected from the web. Correct nomenclature will be important. It will help me find the thing-a ma-jig and the you know that thing. Always learning.

search requires the document has been OCR'd and stored in a format that information is preserved....like pdf. All the manuals on bingo.cdyn.com are searchable. 'course, if the text wasn't successfully recognized, you don't get anything.

searching over a collection of searchable documents depends on your operating system and settings. e.g. windows will "index" searchable pdf files. There's lots of programs that will do it also.

Quoted from KYBingo:

Still looking for those things that have lost their labels.

the goal of the internals pictures on bingo.cdyn.com was being able to read labels so people with missing ones could easily see what things are. Sometimes people take pictures that are too low res or not enough lighting and that doesn't work. For relays, you have to resort to switch stack configuration, wire colors and/or location in a relay bank. Stepper units are usually easy by comparing the wire lugs used and the wipers.

Quoted from Terry1:

I know the schematic calls out the diff between NO & NC,
    but, not referring to the schematic that often I find myself
    going back; is it NO or NC!!

if you rotate the moving blade on the switch symbol counterclockwise and it touches another wire quickly, it's NC ("normally close" ). 'course, ya gotta remember the counterclockwise part, but it's worth the effort since it makes the SPDT symbols and switch symbol rotation easy to interpret.

what's not easy is when "normally" is:
    - when the game is powered on but not cycled. This may just be the anti-cheat relay
    - immediately after reset, but no trip relays tripped. This is most of the circuits.
    - game over, but not playing for extra balls (EB trip relays untripped)

Afaik, it's always:
    - playfield shutter is closed
    - replay register has 0 credits
    - switches which are endlessly closing/opening if the motors are running - like the 16 pulse cam, drag arm cam and/or CU #1/2 cam switches - are drawn NO.
    - anti-cheat relay is drawn when relay is not powered (game turned on but not cycled)

usually you have to follow the circuit down from a switch and see what makes sense. e.g. if you discover the shutter will slide closed when the game is tilted, the shutter switches must be drawn when the shutter is closed for that to work - they are drawn NO and would need to be closed for power to reach the shutter motor.

the nice schems add the "when open" and "when closed" labels to those kind of switches.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/schematic-?hl=terry1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.