Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

james.gif
100_0054.JPG
100_0113.JPG
100_0112.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Hey all just wondering what you guys thought of these 2 games Scared stiff and Theatre of magic compared to one another,Ive played a heap of scared stiff and love it,but havent played theatre of magic all that much,but what i have, thought it was great,so just wondering what people who know both games think??pros and cons any opinions really...

#2 10 years ago

I've had both. Theatre is a gorgeous game. A nice clean one with LEDs in it it just something else to see. It was, in my opinion, a fun game, but limited lifespan. Not super challenging, and not a ton of different shots. So more of a looker.
Scared Stiff is totally different. Nice mysterious theme, lots of fantastic callouts...lot more fun to play, but not quite as much fun to look at...but by no means horrible.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

I've had both. Theatre is a gorgeous game. A nice clean one with LEDs in it it just something else to see. It was, in my opinion, a fun game, but limited lifespan. Not super challenging, and not a ton of different shots. So more of a looker.
Scared Stiff is totally different. Nice mysterious theme, lots of fantastic callouts...lot more fun to play, but not quite as much fun to look at...but by no means horrible.

I tend to disagree here....I think SS is just as beautiful to look at as ToM. They are both fun games. Theater of Magic is probably a little deeper ruleset. I am biased because I own a SS, but I prefer it due to theme. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

#4 10 years ago

Scared Stiff all the way! Played both, own SS.

#5 10 years ago

Really Ted? I'm shocked you have that opinion....

#6 10 years ago

SS all the way and this is at least the third unbiased opinion in this thread.

#7 10 years ago

Both are fun and pretty to look at but, SS wins for an awesome theme loaded with adult humor.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Really Ted? I'm shocked you have that opinion....

It was a tough one....

#9 10 years ago

I have owned both and SS is still here after many years. Theatre didn't last long. Both games are on the shallow/easy side, but SS has better wizard goals. I think TOM is overall better looking, but SS has one of the best playfield art packages in pinball. SS also has humor, better callouts and is much more difficult to find.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I think TOM is overall better looking,

Blasphemy!!! Admittedly, it is a beautiful game.

#11 10 years ago

' I'm warning you ', Scared Stiff all the way. ToM was fun, but didn't last more than a month.

#12 10 years ago

ToM has the best light package in all of pinball and is very enjoyable to play. The more I play it, the more I like it. If the lights, all four magnets and the trunk are working perfectly this game is too much fun. Even people who don't particularly like pinball enjoy ToM. SS is very much on my radar--cool game and Elvira's callouts totally make SS just a blast to play. If I couldn't have both, for me I'd get whichever one was in the best shape at the best price, you can't lose with either of them. If I wanted my wife or GF to play pinball with me more than once (and not get on my case for having a pinball machine taking up room) I'd go with the Theatre.

#13 10 years ago

Scared Stiff

Had both ToM is gone SS is going no where...Theme is the Best ever made!

#14 10 years ago

TOM is only good if you have a deep collection of machines. If it is one of the few machines that you own you might get bored rather quickly. It is not at all a machine for players. It is more of a collectors item to show off the light shows and artwork and design. Very shallow design and rules. And a wizard mode that is as barebones as you can get.

Once you get comfortable playing TOM enough that you can consistently put up long ball times you'll grow tired of the machine. This isn't like LOTR or MM where long games can still be challenging and filled with variety. Once you master TOM you'll put it up for sale. The game plays the same almost every time once you're skill level is high. Complete Theatre, Midnight, Trunk Multiball, and then try to activate and time each mode out while also trying to get the extra ball lights and awards.

If you only have a handful of machines then TOM is one that won't stay in your collection very long if you play them often. It will take no time at all to learn the rules. And then not that long before you're bored out of your mind of hammering the trunk to reach the shallow wizard mode. For larger collections, in the 20s or more, TOM is a great machine. If you come back to the game every once and a while it will still be an exciting challenge.

#15 10 years ago

Tom all the way ,scared stiff too easy way too long ball times and not enough fun shots and gets old quick. I love the theme and tried to like SS but after 25 or so games I have no idea how this game is in the top 15.I have owned TOM for 1 year and it is a keeper for sure.My guests always love it and most say its their favorite game in my collection. Theme,lights,call outs,and overall look second to None.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Scared Stiff is <snip> not quite as much fun to look at...but by no means horrible.

What? How could someone say that about *any* game with Elvira plastered all over it?

I'll echo what everyone else has stated. SS all the way. Mine's NEVER being sold. My HUO ToM got kicked to the curb a couple of years ago. Sure, I kinda miss it as I love the theme and the music. The gameplay can be very fast but it is somewhat shallow. It really needs a killer wizard mode. Eric P, are you listening?

Sure SS could be called shallow, but it still has one of the most difficult tasks to complete in all of pinball - Spider Multiball. I think I've only gotten it two or three times ever.

#17 10 years ago

To me Scared Stiff is the better game all around. It looks better, plays MUCH better and has a better theme. I've owned both and would not want a ToM back, but would love a Scared Stiff.

#18 10 years ago

Currently TOM is the only machine I have. I agree that TOM on it's own in a collection does not hold it's own. That said I'm happy to have the TOM and will never let it go. I believe it can be a part of a collection with other stronger titles complementing it. Like an SS.

#19 10 years ago

I own ToM, have had for 12+ years. I've owned SS. It's a great game too. My collection is 20+. My ToM got played more for the average player and especially women. I think SS is more of a man's game.

If I had a smaller collection; SS. A larger collection; ToM. Both great games in my opinion, for different reasons.

#20 10 years ago

Own both: SS over TOM all day.

Boiled down in non-technical terms: TOM's a good game...but SS is much better.

#21 10 years ago

Very close call to me but I have to give the edge to TOM.

#22 10 years ago

I like SS, but ToM is more of a timeless classic. I don't play it every day like back in 95, but it never loses any of it's charm when it's time for a throwdown. Add some color with some LEDs and it really sparkles.

#23 10 years ago

I'd go TOM over SS, but both are great.

For me, TOM has better replay value. Spider wheel is tough, but completing Scared stiff versus Grand Finale` TOM is much more involved.

#24 10 years ago

I own both as well . If you have never owned a JPOP game than TOM is a great one to get. It is a bit harder than SS. With one exception. SS Spider Champ. You can not go wrong with TOM or SS. I don't think one is better than the other. TOM is Cool/Suave and plays very fast. Has flow. TOM has some great DOTs. SS is sexy/funny. Great muti-balls. Good flow. I am not much help. Can not see my self not owning both.

100_0112.JPG100_0112.JPG 100_0113.JPG100_0113.JPG 100_0054.JPG100_0054.JPG

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

I am not much help.

Maybe.

#26 10 years ago

SS def has the comedy edge, but I think TOM looks a TON better. Some of that SS stuff is a little too silly for me.

#27 10 years ago

I have both right now and really like them. I play ToM a lot more, though. SS is a little shallow. ToM is awesome all the way around.

#28 10 years ago

Well, after all this...i guess we can say they are BOTH great games...

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Well, after all this...i guess we can say they are BOTH great games...

No doubt and no losers here. Other than me because I can't afford either

#30 10 years ago

I'm sure you'll find a way....

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I'm sure you'll find a way....

Nope...I'm done in the game my friend. Made a promise to my family not to sell my body anymore!

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Nope...I'm done in the game my friend. Made a promise to my family not to sell my body anymore!

hookin for pins, love this country

#33 10 years ago

too close to call, I say a tie, get the one you like.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Nope...I'm done in the game my friend.

Sorry to hear this. Keeping fingers crossed you hit the lottery!

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

too close to call, I say a tie, get the one you like.

Totally agree here, two winners and a pair of my all time favorites....your a winner either way ya go here

#36 10 years ago

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but what if TAF were thrown into the equation?

#37 10 years ago

Let's not....

james.gifjames.gif

#38 10 years ago

Just installed Color DMD in my SS...Now game is a REAL wow!!!

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

Just installed Color DMD in my SS...Now game is a REAL wow

I think I need one too!!!!

#40 10 years ago

BTW...Randy from Color DMD is da bomb!

I screwed up and popped the 12V fuse on driver board and he was answering e-mails on the weekend helping me...As well as LTG!

And thanks PT...You did an awesome job restoring the game. It plays just like the day it was slid out of the box...and looks that way too!

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

I screwed up and popped the 12V fuse on driver board

Quoted from sepins:

Just installed Color DMD in my SS...Now game is a REAL wow

Did the ColorDMD blow the 12v ? How hard is it to install ? Do you use the old DMD board? Thanks. Photo please.

#42 10 years ago

I always wanted a tom , once I had one, I grew tired of it within a month. SS will probably never leave, great theme and really fun call-outs. If you want a jpop game, totan and cv way better.

1 year later
#43 9 years ago

Glad I found this old thread. While rating some games today I got the exact number rating for SS and TOM. They both have such similar strengths. I think overall SS is a little more unique with the kinky humor and the spinning spider on the translite so I would have to give it the edge over TOM. Both aren't the deepest players but look fantastic.

#44 9 years ago

Yes, Scared Stiff all the way...

#45 9 years ago

We have both. Hub ranks TOM over SS, I rank SS over TOM.

#46 9 years ago

I love both and consider them to be of equal. SS is always fun and as a not so good player I can say I've gotten through scared stiff on several occasions. My TOM is fully restored and plays much faster than SS.I have yet to get to the grand finale . Both are keepers for me.

#47 9 years ago

I have them both but no even close to me, SS all the way!

#48 9 years ago

As it turns out, my opinion hasn't changed in a year. SS all day everyday.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

Both aren't the deepest players but look fantastic.

Spider multiball isn't easy to get

#50 9 years ago

Tough call.Both look good.Both play good.Both are fairly repetitive but in a good way.Hmmm how about a TOM sandwich....SS/TOM/EATPM

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

£ 38.00
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
£ 39.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lewiston, NY
$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-vs-theatre-of-magic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.