“Scared Stiff vs Elvira's House of horrors”

• Scared Stiff is better 34 votes
    41%
  • Elvira's House of Horrors is better 48 votes
    59%

(82 votes)

#1 4 years ago

Hey guys!
I saw other people making topics (Pinball Machine name) vs (Other pinball machine name), so that inspired me to make my own
So, I like both Scared Stiff and Elvira's House of Horrors, but in my opinion, both games have great modes, sounds and animations, so it's hard for me to pick which game is better
What do you think, which game is better? Scared Stiff, or Elvira's House of Horrors?

#2 4 years ago

Scared stiff is definitely the more classic and it plays great. Just gets boring.

The new Elvira isn’t awesome, but it’s deeper and more interesting. I’m not a fan of the theme as much as scared stiff.

I’d say if you love medieval madness, SS is better, and if you love Batman 66, Elvira is better.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from GrandFireball1:

I’d say if you love medieval madness, SS is better, and if you love Batman 66, Elvira is better.

Great idea!

#4 4 years ago

Owned SS and it’s a great game but it is shallow. Crate and lock shits feel great and ramps are awesome. SS play field artwork is better imo...Stern need to pull back on the play field artwork. Sometime less is more. EHOH is already a great game with plenty more to come...will def be a top 10 the time it’s done!

#5 4 years ago

This isn’t even close. Elvira 3 is already more fun and FAR more deep than SS. And there are monthly updates. The theme integration is just outstanding, and they honored the previous games in a great way. Mechs are cool, intricate bash toy, secret entrances... it’s a modern Stern with a SUBWAY!

The layout isn’t innovative but it’s a great mix of classic pinball and new ideas.

#6 4 years ago

No contest whatsoever. House of Horrors crushes Scared Stiff. And this is with 0.93 code. By the time it reaches 1.0, the separation between the two will be even greater.

#7 4 years ago

Unfair to really compare as equal examples. Where would ehoh be today without ss? Game to game, ss is funner and funnier for me.

#8 4 years ago

EHOH it's deeper and Lyman will just keep adding to the code.

#9 4 years ago

Grand Fireball said it very well, I think. They are very different games in that SS is a simpler, classic pin. I personally love SS for the straightforward code and the feeling that you can reach the Stiff-O-Meter wizard mode with a decent game. Achieving the spider multiball by obtaining all 16 spider awards is much, much harder. The crate toy is still a blast to shoot and the ramps are first rate. Great pf art and iconic cabinet art also. HoH is an excellent “modern” addition to the series. I feel the haunted house toy is exceptionally designed and made. I love the multiple entrances and subway. The crypt is very cool too. The ramps are less inspired or interesting, but they are fast and functional. I agree the artwork, which is very good in certain areas, is a bit overwhelming. I didn’t love the custom animations, but they were very early code when I played it heavily. I’m looking forward to playing the latest code updates and deciding if I want one next to SS! Tough comparison as they are from very different eras, but I give the edge to SS, which has only depth as a weakness and deserves its classic status.

#10 4 years ago

Simply put....Scared Stiff is the greatest pinball machine ever made.... Nuff Said!

#11 4 years ago

Who did the code on SS anyway?

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Who did the code on SS anyway?

Software by Mike Boon and Cameron Silver

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Software by Mike Boon and Cameron Silver

thx! had to look them up. Interesting collection of titles Mike Boon worked on

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

thx! had to look them up. Interesting collection of titles Mike Boon worked on

He definitely did. He worked on some classics like TAF and WH2O I believe. I had to look at my SS to remember!

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Simply put....Scared Stiff is the greatest pinball machine ever made.... Nuff Said!

PoppyCock sir, pure unfiltered PoppyCock. Good game but I sold mine after 2 weeks. Beat the game on day 2 and then the one liners starting getting tedious by day 3. Oh yeah.

#16 4 years ago

Mike Boon is the voice of Rudy.

#17 4 years ago

I can’t believe scared stiff has gotten even one vote aside from spfxted

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lewiston, NY
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 249.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 31.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Plastics
SilverBall Designs

$ 34.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Led
PinballToys

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

£ 49.00
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-vs-elvira-s-house-of-horrors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.