Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by mgpasman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I noticed that when I leave the game on for several hours, at some point, some of the switches become flaky. Most noticeable are the crate, the opto in the Bony Beast ramp and the start button. If I enter switch test, it takes 4 button presses to register one. Those switches are not on the same row/column.

At first, I could leave the game off for some time to fix the problem. But this morning when I wanted to retest, the start button was flaky from the beginning. I also notice that during switch test, the crate does not register anything when I tap it. During gameplay, it does register.

I tried re-seating all connectors related to switches, as well as the flat cable between the CPU and the driver board, to no avail.

#2 6 years ago

How's the voltage? Sounds to me like you may not be getting good voltage on your switches. Do you have a DMM available to measure?

#3 6 years ago

They're over 20 years old. Replace them. How many thousands of times has that start button been pushed...

#4 6 years ago

So far, after re-seating the switch connectors, the start-button problem has not gone, but the crate and bony beast ramp have not been acting up again. I am going with replacing the start button switch, and call it a fix .

#5 6 years ago

Just as a note, the crate registers not from physical contact, but by the ball passing above the eddy sensor, just in front of the crate. If it is not registering consistently, you can lift the playfield and turn the small adjustment post on the board a bit.

#6 6 years ago

I've heard that WPC95 games of this era had flaky switches. If they give you problems then replacing them wouldn't be a bad idea.

#7 6 years ago

So I replaced the start button, and this has solved one problem. The problem with the crate still appeared every now and them

Quoted from Rody:

Just as a note, the crate registers not from physical contact, but by the ball passing above the eddy sensor, just in front of the crate. If it is not registering consistently, you can lift the playfield and turn the small adjustment post on the board a bit.

Yeah, I found that out too. As a matter of fact, this did the trick. It would be fine at first, but after a few hours of operation (idle), it would show up in the matrix as "CLOSED". So at that point in time, I lifted the playfield and adjusted the post so that it shows as "OPEN". Checked with a ball if it still registers, and it did. I was afraid it would now not register when the machine is still cold (rendering it a problem in the eddy controller board), but it still works!

So, two different and unrelated problems, with an easy fix!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 249.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 38.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-some-switches-become-flaky-after-a-while and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.