BB1.PNG
BB3.PNG
DSC_2508 (resized).JPG
DSC_2507 (resized).JPG
DSC08670_moyenne (resized).jpg
DSC08669_moyenne (resized).jpg
GS-SS-A-20947L (resized).jpg
detail.jpg
There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Extremely cool mod, but costing way north of 100 euros.... well, too much buck for the bang IMO...

Well, you could always make one yourself and save a bit: https://learn.adafruit.com/animated-electronic-eyes-using-teensy-3-1?view=all

#102 6 years ago

Sweet mod!

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Look at how much people are charging for lit up trinkets on games

Yes, that's crazy! That's why I have different priorities when it comes to spend my hard earned $$.

#104 6 years ago
Quoted from F-2NIRO:

in view of what is done in the world of mods, the price is very low and promotional.

In view of what is done in the world of mods, I'd say the price is par to the average market.

#105 6 years ago

Thanks for the tip, but no, thanks. I'd rather spend my time

#109 6 years ago

Got around to installing my kit a few days ago. Thanks again F-2NIRO for a very cool mod. It really changes the game in the sense the beast seems "alive" now!

Here are a few installation notes for anyone else that will be doing their DIY kit. Franck has a nice video tutorial earlier in the thread, it's worth watching even if you don't speak French.

- I decided on the red eyes like 30FathomDave in post 92. Although I think the yellow eyes look sweet too!
- With the fit, I had to remove the two original eye light bulb fixtures.
- As Franck recommended, I just drilled off the rivets holding them on, and removed both bulbs with the wires and molex connector as one piece.
- I hooked up the power to a regular 9V battery so I could assemble everything on my table with the screens lit up. This is necessary for positioning behind eye lenses.
- I used scotch tape across the outside of the eye lenses to keep them in position while hot-gluing them on the underside.
- With the eyelids blinking from bottom to top, you can still install the screens in two different 180-degree orientation, it will affect how the larger controller board is oriented in the middle.
- If you check the image here, I installed the screens so the wire connections on the main board are more towards the front. The resistance from the wires holds up that middle board, and so after screens were glued, I didn't have to add any more glue to the other board or power unit.
- I used the recommended connections in the J1 plug of the eddy sensor under the crate, soldered them, and everything works perfectly.
- Plenty of clearance for the orange flasher that sits nicely between the screens.
- To make sure the screen connectors would be less visible through the "nose" area, I wrapped them in black electrical tape.

As a scientist and doctor (hence my username), I love geeky stuff like this and I read through the post from That_Pin_Dude with the eyes on the teensy. Pretty cool! It seems those screens might be a little too big to fit in the Boney Beast head - but man those spooky dragon eyes (second photo on the link) are cool!! Maybe that can be a neat mod for some other pinball machines.

Here are two quick video clips of the installed eyes.

Cheers guys,
Tom

BB_eyes1 (resized).jpgBB_eyes1 (resized).jpg

BB_eyes2 (resized).jpgBB_eyes2 (resized).jpg

BB_eyes3 (resized).jpgBB_eyes3 (resized).jpg

BB_eyes_underside (resized).JPGBB_eyes_underside (resized).JPG

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Tommy:

I decided on the red eyes although I think the yellow eyes look sweet too!

I rec'd my kit but haven't had a chance to install mine yet. I went with yellow eyes although the red look good too.

#111 6 years ago

hello
I received my order, it is available again.
soon

#112 6 years ago

Hi F-2NIRO - I just visited your website. Does the "kit version" of this mod include the little cable harness or do I need to make that myself? If not, do you supply instructions on how to build it in English? Please let me know. Thanks in advance. I'll purchase one of the two options once you reply. I didn't want to send in my Boney Beast head if I didn't have to. Thanks in advance.

#113 6 years ago

Hello All,

F-2NIRO replied back to me so I thought I would share the info here. The "kit version" of the this upgrade does include the needed wiring and connectors. You just need to supply a little effort to install the components in the head of the Boney Beast. I thought that was the case but the photo on the website to order is a little misleading. They are in stock now so order at will.

#114 6 years ago

Hi guys,
Here's a pic of the kit contents from my post last week.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-realistic-eyes-for-bony-beast/page/2#post-4260327

A few posts up I have some installation notes. Kit has everything you need except hot glue gun and time.

You need to be comfortable soldering under the playfield when you tap power from J1 eddy sensor. Franck described this earlier in this thread.

Enjoy!

#115 6 years ago
Quoted from F-2NIRO:

Hello everybody
I made a mod for the skull "bony beast"
the eyes are animated and watch you.
» YouTube video

These are just brilliant! I thought I'd done all the mods that I wanted to my Scared Stiff, but now....

1 month later
#116 6 years ago

I just installed my mod. The only question I have is the flasher bulb under the skull... Can this no longer be used? I know the bulbs sockets for the eyes come off, but has anyone been able to use the flasher? Any pics?

#117 6 years ago

Never been much on mods myself but after my buddy showed me his and asked what I thought. I had to get it. One of the best mods ever made in my opinion. So live like. The pupils moving is realistic and so cool but I really love the blinking!

#118 6 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

The only question I have is the flasher bulb under the skull... Can this no longer be used? I know the bulbs sockets for the eyes come off, but has anyone been able to use the flasher? Any pics?

Sure, flasher fits perfectly under the eye mod. I have a few photos (other guys put up some nice pics too!) over on Franck's original thread. Check here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-realistic-eyes-for-bony-beast/page/3#post-4268594

You can remove the shrink-wrap around the old eye socket wires and flasher wires. Then the eye bulb sockets can be removed with the wires and molex connectors intact. Only the flasher wiring remains and you can snake down the power leads from the mod through the same playfield hole under the beast ramp.

Good luck!

1 week later
#120 5 years ago

I just installed the mod late last week and it's awesome!

#121 5 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

I just installed the mod late last week and it's awesome!

Well....trouble in paradise. Today I turned the machine on and only the right eye was working. I unscrewed the head and wiggled the left eye's connector and it came back on. About 10 minutes later, both eyes went dark. I inspected it again and the connectors aren't loose (tried unplugging and plugging them back in) but the power light on the controller board for the mod was out. I first checked to make sure that the connection underneath the playfield to the power source was good and it was. I then tried to wiggle some of the wires in the mod and can get the power light on the controller board to come on for about a second or two but no long enough to get the eyes to come on. I don't notice anything strange when I inspected the mod's boards, wiring, or connectors to include the solder joints. I messed with it for about 20 minutes and can't get the power to stay on long enough even for the eyes to come back on. I left the existing sockets for the eyes in but thoroughly wrapped the whole area in electrical tape and there's no metal exposed.

Not sure what's going on but I'm thinking something faulty in the mod's boards or wiring. I'm not super experienced with things like this and not sure how to fix it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#122 5 years ago

I would pm or email F-2NIRO directly and he can help you out. I currently have an intermittent buggy eye, but I am still troubleshooting if it's the board or screen. He's very helpful and hopefully you can work out your particular issue.

Keep us posted once you get to the bottom of what's going on.

#123 5 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Well....trouble in paradise. Today I turned the machine on and only the right eye was working. I unscrewed the head and wiggled the left eye's connector and it came back on. About 10 minutes later, both eyes went dark. I inspected it again and the connectors aren't loose (tried unplugging and plugging them back in) but the power light on the controller board for the mod was out. I first checked to make sure that the connection underneath the playfield to the power source was good and it was. I then tried to wiggle some of the wires in the mod and can get the power light on the controller board to come on for about a second or two but no long enough to get the eyes to come on. I don't notice anything strange when I inspected the mod's boards, wiring, or connectors to include the solder joints. I messed with it for about 20 minutes and can't get the power to stay on long enough even for the eyes to come back on. I left the existing sockets for the eyes in but thoroughly wrapped the whole area in electrical tape and there's no metal exposed.
Not sure what's going on but I'm thinking something faulty in the mod's boards or wiring. I'm not super experienced with things like this and not sure how to fix it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Following up to say that F-2niro reached out and is a great guy. He helped me diagnose the issue and is sending out a replacement. This is a first class seller who makes some great stuff. Looking forward to bring the Boney Beast back to life soon.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 249.00
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lewiston, NY
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

£ 37.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

£ 38.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-realistic-eyes-for-bony-beast/page/3?hl=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.