(Topic ID: 324864)

Scared Stiff powers off while playing

By Joepone

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hello everyone. I definitley need some advice. My Scared Stiff machine will shut down or restart after playing for a while. There is no correlation between shaking the machine, hitting the flippers, or any physical movement. The display screen will also occasionally start acting funny/losing power before this happens. When this first happened, I eventually got a G11 Checksum Error and replaced the ROM. The error is now gone and it seemed to be working normally again. However, it started resetting/powering off again after an hour or two of play. Basically, if the game is off and rests for a while, it takes longer for this issue to occur. If it's powered off for a day or two, it might play normally for a couple of hours before it shuts down. Once it starts happening, it seems to happen regularly until I give it a break. There are no System Errors and all of the LED lights are acting as they should. I'm totally lost.

#2 1 year ago

Sounds like your power supply needs rebuilt. I suggest sending to a pro for diagnosis and fixing.

#3 1 year ago

Power supply = power driver board. Not the transformer, just to be clear here.

#5 1 year ago

I'm confused here. Is it shutting off and staying off or is it rebooting to the startup screen? You make it sound like it's doing both.

I assume it's randomly rebooting to the startup screen. This is a 5V issue whether it's from a bad connection, failing components or both. With the game on, I'd put a meter on the +5VDC test point and measure what you are getting. Leave the game on and see if the voltage fluctuates after it's been on for a while.

I'd first check the connections on the power driver board at J129 for tarnished pins or connectors. After that I'd test diodes D7 to D10 to see if any are burned or out of spec. Lastly I'd check filter capacitor C9 as part of the +5VDC chain.

If the game is just randomly shutting off (not rebooting) I'd look at connectors in the cabinet, power cord, main fuse or something else also those lines.

#6 1 year ago

Thank you guys for the responses. It’s actually doing both. Sometimes it reboots. But other times it shuts down entirely.

#8 1 year ago

time you send it off for repairs its gonna cost you what a new one would. just buy a new one and be done, its 30 yrs old and power supplies are cheap.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 249.00
£ 38.00
8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

£ 37.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

£ 49.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-powers-off-while-playing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.