Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by spfxted
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I was all set to buy scared stiff then I saw a metallica with all the mods on it and liked that. Which one would you guys buy? I am taking the wife with me tomorrow to see what she likes. Hard decision. I do have elvira and the party monsters for sale to make room for it.

#2 10 years ago

Love Scared Stiff, I think Metallica will have more potential to be great but you will have to believe it will get finished. I passed on it for that reason.

#3 10 years ago

I have both Elvira and the Party Monsters and Scared Stiff, no Metallica. I couldn't have picked up a Metallica Premium for around what I paid for Scared Stiff, though honestly I prefer the Pro (not a fan of the hammer for a lot of reasons) which would have been cheaper. Wasn't a hard choice, I really wanted the Scared Stiff. Just one of the best themed games ever made IMHO, a lot of fun to have. Some of the best call outs ever, while Metallica has some of the worst. I hate the band member speech, it sounds awful.

Metallica is a fun game though, and hey, maybe if the code really gets better I'll be tempted by one. As it is now, I passed.

What kind of gamer you are, what you look for in your pins, that's up to you.

#4 10 years ago

If you decide on the scared stiff there is an incredibly nice one at pinball warehouse in fridley mn. Nicest machine they have there right now i believe. Its right around $5600 but perhaps the condition justifies the price. Was drooling on it yesterday myself.

#5 10 years ago

Thanks. I listed the elvira if anyone is interested. To me the scared stiff seemed easy while I liked the bells and whistles and the shaker motor on the metallica pro. I have to decide tomorrow because I would like to have it for the the thanksgiving holiday with the kids.

#6 10 years ago

SS gets old very fast.

#7 10 years ago

I have both and would get rid of the MET before the SS because I feel like the SS will hold up better over time. And in my experience wives really love it, for whatever reason . It is definitely an easier game though. I opted for the MET premium because to me the pro (like all Stern Pros until Star Trek) just feels too skimpy/cheap. Though if you don't mind fewer toys and losing a few of the perks for the $ savings both versions play really well.

#8 10 years ago

Scared Stiff it is way more fun, better sound package. I also have been a Metallica fan since 1984 but the pin did little for me other then enjoying the poorly integrated call outs, the shots other then the two ramps were utterly boring and no satisfaction. Elvira is the queen of pinball and amazing the jokes are enjoyable even when repeated.

Metallica is gone and the only thing I miss was the amazing art package. SS is being restored but this is all personal opinion and comparing a new stern to a rock solid Williams is a little odd in itself.

#9 10 years ago

SS, but I am biased... Although, Met is the only Stern I would buy... Not a fan of Stern products.

#10 10 years ago

I biased to not liking stern as well. And I pick Met Prem over my old Pristine SS

#11 10 years ago

SS Classic Forever

Can YOU get tired of it? Yeah, but leave it alone for awhile and it's like new again. Just a beautiful light show.
It holds value.. will MET? time will tell. I like the solid feel of Bally/Williams anyways.

Got kids?? they love it, even though they may not see the double humor that we all know is cleverly disguised.
Adults love it too for the same reason. Tastefully done.

What also is nice is that most anyone can get a good score/game and improve in one evening..that is what makes it fun for guests.

Disclaimer: I have a SS (HUO)

Edit/added:

If you read the Top 100 reviews on this site for each...you don't hear the "I don't like this machine"..or "I don't care for the music".."CODE" as much as MET (Specific reasons)
You may hear some that say SS is "Too easy". but, most "like" the machine in general overall. Less specific reasons.
For the average non pinheads..it works.
Anyone that comes over to the house loves this game..Since I can play all my machines at any time, I like the challenge of TZ or my BSD.. where as, company likes my SS or NGG because they are less frustrating for them.
BUT! I always enjoy falling back to SS just for a fun game. It is a keeper for me

Also: a 2013 MET vs what kind of 1996 SS you can find..that would be a bigger issue for me...good luck

#12 10 years ago

If you want to try out both shoot me a PM. I'm in Batavia, so a short drive for you to see which one you like better.

#13 10 years ago

Scared Stiff hands down.

#14 10 years ago

Scared Stiff for sure.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from psychoticmark:

Thanks. I listed the Elvira if anyone is interested. To me the Scared Stiff seemed easy while I liked the bells and whistles and the shaker motor on the Metallica pro. I have to decide tomorrow because I would like to have it for the the thanksgiving holiday with the kids.

That Elvira looks in pretty good shape. Too bad you're so far away or I'd have to check it out. GLWS!

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead76:

That Elvira looks in pretty good shape.

Yeah it does. Good luck with that, someone's gonna enjoy it.

#18 10 years ago

Just picked up a scared stiff last week after searching for 3 years. I love the game. I played met also and it seems cool, but SS has that special something as many games of that era do. Lots of thought went into it and I really enjoy the theme.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from joegeno:

met blows SS out of the water. done

1st two words

#20 10 years ago

Had SS for a while and really liked it. I sold it because it got very repetitive after a while (but you will have this with a lot of games IMO). I do miss it and wouldn't mind having it again someday when I have a bigger collection. I've played Metallica and I just can't get into it at all (probably cus the current code sucks), so for me I'd take the SS. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Jon

#21 10 years ago

Thanks everyone. I will have to decide tomorrow but am leaning towards the ss.

#23 10 years ago

Love both titles. SS is very cool, like the ambiance Elvira brings a lot too with the calls but once Met code is complete it will be one of the best pin ever. It's already as it is a very solid pin. It also depends what type of games you want or already have in your collection. Met is a fan favorite layout and basicaly every single angle you throw the ball is a shot for something. Lot of things to do on that playfield.

#24 10 years ago

Personally I love Metallica, owned both, and still own Metallica

#25 10 years ago

Ouch
But then I always thought this was dumb too

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/insurance-commercials

chill

#26 10 years ago

Scared stiff all the way..

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

once Met code is complete it will be one of the best pin ever

Or, it won't. Because we honestly just don't know. Right now it's not. Fun, sure, one of the best ever? No. So you can buy it and hope that will change, but only you can decide how confident you are in that.

For me, personally, I don't have the confidence. I hope it gets great. I won't even be surprised if that happens. But Stern hasn't given me enough to feel any certainty.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Or, it won't. Because we honestly just don't know. Right now it's not. Fun, sure, one of the best ever? No. So you can buy it and hope that will change, but only you can decide how confident you are in that.
For me, personally, I don't have the confidence. I hope it gets great. I won't even be surprised if that happens. But Stern hasn't given me enough to feel any certainty.

I agree with you on the unfinished code trend Stern is having lately but Met sells are doing good I think. There is potential to increase sells even more like they are doing with AC/DC. Fact is Met code does not need polish it needs the unprogrammed modes they have on the pin. Band members, end of the line, mystery hole. Physiquely everything is there but useless until they programmed it. Would be a shame not to finish it, really.

#29 10 years ago

Met has a great layout. I havn't played SS for years but it must be good cos Met is a very good game indeed and the code will one day be finished. Sooner better than later.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from psychoticmark:

Thanks everyone. I will have to decide tomorrow but am leaning towards the ss.

Let us know what you decide on!

#31 10 years ago

I like the art and theme better on SS, as well as the stainless trim, but I prefer to play MET. If resale and money is no object MET all day long.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from jk2171:

If you want to try out both shoot me a PM. I'm in Batavia, so a short drive for you to see which one you like better.

You need to move to Dayton.... ):

#33 10 years ago

Both great games, Hard choice, for me I would say ss only because at the moment met is in a lot of pubs around here, so theres no problem finding one on location to jam on, ware ss is seems to be in peoples collections, but still relatively easy to find to purchase.

#34 10 years ago

I have SS and METLE. Tough call as they are completely different pins. The artwork is great on both. Love the callouts and 'easy' game play on SS. Love the hammer and in-line drop targets on MET. More 'shots' on MET. If the code comes through on MET, I'd have to give the edge to MET.

#35 10 years ago

Who's voice do you want to hear for the rest of your life; Elvira's or Lars ?

#36 10 years ago

Get the Scared Stiff...I hung on to that pin for over a year, which for me, is saying something. I doubt very much you will tire of it, but if you do, there will be plenty of Metallica's around for you to buy. And maybe, *just maybe*. Stern will have finished the MET code by then, and you won't have to tie your hopes and dreams that "someday your pin will get even better"

All the best, let us know what you get!
-Dan

#37 10 years ago

I guess its up to what type of game you prefer ,

Scared Stiff , bang away at the box , 2 ramps , fun callouts , spin spider .

Metallica , Hit Sparky , Metal ramps , Graveyard , Pop bumpers , its a shooters game

Scared Still will get real old quick , its a fun game no doubt but not much going on .

Metallica is a much better game if you like fast games that will last for the long haul . Its got much more going on compared to SS .

#38 10 years ago

I own both, and as it stands, SS is the better game, IMO.

MET is a great layout, but I'm not playing it very much. It feels like I really have to work the machine hard to play it, and I haven't grown any attachment to it. Once the new software is released I'll reassess.

I have much more fun playing SS. Maybe it's because I'm not a serious player, but I have much more fun with SS. I love the left ramp, left loop combo to lock balls in the coffin. The humor is great, and the light show is awesome.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

SS gets old very fast.

Don't know about that. I've had mine for 12 years and it's still one of my favorites. I have a Metallica and that would go waaaay before my Stiffy.

#40 10 years ago

I own both and would give the nod to SS. It's just a pure classic masterpiece that's getting harder to find. Pretty much everyone loves it whether they are a pinhead or a never played before. It is easy to get to the stiff-o-meter, but very challenging to beat the mode. I have had the game for about 6 years now and it's not going anywhere, but I did have a period where it collected dust for a while when my collection was smaller. As someone else said, it's a game you can walk away from for a while and it will feel new and exciting again when you come back to it. At this point with the code, Met seems much more repetitive with no ultimate objective.

Brian

#41 10 years ago

Met all the way I feel like I always have something different to shoot for where on SS I kinda get bored with. The toys on Met really make it stand out of the crowd and when the code gets finished it could could be one of the greatest games made.

#42 10 years ago

SS - Because Metallica hasn't written/released anything good since 1988.

#43 10 years ago

Fairly close call for me. I've had SS and currently own MET Premium.

But the bottom line is that if someone offered to trade a nice SS for my MET, I wouldn't do it.

#44 10 years ago

neither, unless they're drastically underpriced.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Because Metallica hasn't written/released anything good since 1988.

hmmm, when was the last time Elvira was relevant?

I love both themes, but just couldn't get into SS. I prefer the speed and shots of metallica. also, SS doesn't have some of the basic elements of pinball that I prefer, spinners, drop targets, visible locked balls.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

hmmm, when was the last time Elvira was relevant?.

Touche!

I just don't like Metallica. And Elvira will always be relevant in my mind, having grown up watching those late-night jug..Ahem.. movies.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

hmmm, when was the last time Elvira was relevant?

Every time I Google Image search her

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Every time I Google Image search her

#49 10 years ago

+1 for Scared Stiff. True classic! Metallica is just another decent band pin.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

Ouch
But then I always thought this was dumb too
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/insurance-commercials
chill

Yea, but I wasn't ripping on a game there. You were saying Met blows...which it most certainly doesn't. I admit my insurance thread was dumb...I was bored.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-or-metallica and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.