• 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Propaganda
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

elvira.jpg
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Hi all....
I have an opportunity to pick up a game. I know they don't really compare, but is there a preference among players? Collectors?
If I get bored, do they have a relatively high re-sale market?

Thanks

#2 11 years ago

Scared Stiff is fun and easy on the eyes but got boring fast for me. LOTR would be my choice hands down and is a keeper in my collection. Both titles are highly sought after especially LOTR as I know 3-4 people locally (you included Kyle) looking for one

#3 11 years ago

Make for Rivendell my friend.

#4 11 years ago

have both, love both

#5 11 years ago

I own both and prefer SS over LOTR. SS is a simpler rule set with great humor. LOTR has a very deep rule set , but the main reason I own it is because I am a big LOTR fan. Both are very popular so re-sale wouldn't be an issue assuming overall condition is good.

#7 11 years ago

LOTR, even with both hands tied behind its back.

Later,
EV

#8 11 years ago

I vote LOTR. No contest.

As far as resale is concerned, both are high demand pins. It is my observation that Scared Stiff's price increase was more recent and more rapid, whereas LOTR has been a 'slow but steady' price riser. Of course, past performance is not a guarantee of future results.

#9 11 years ago

my vote is for gollum

#10 11 years ago

LOTR, hands down, more depth...SS gets old pretty fast...much too easy..

#11 11 years ago

Great. Thanks. Perhaps I will buy both! Lol!

#12 11 years ago

I love SS from my days of playing it in the arcades. The art, the sounds, the entire package. Due to my sentimental attachment to SS, I had to have one.

If I did not have the sentimental attachment to SS, I'd go with LOTR.

Someday I plan on buying a LOTR and having both. If you have that option, that's a great thing.

#13 11 years ago

Two completely different games in ever way. Do you want eye candy, humor, quick satisfying games? Then go SS. If you want dark, deep, long games times and epic go LOTR.

I just realized my description for LOTR sounds a little sick. Beat you all to the punch there.

I own both and if I had to part with one right now, it would be LOTR but, I've owned it 2 years vs 6 months SS. So take it for what its worth.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Two completely different games in ever way. Do you want eye candy, humor, quick satisfying games? Then go SS. If you want dark, deep, long games times and epic go LOTR.

This sounds spot-on to me. Both are great pins, with the different feel and different type of gameplay.

#15 11 years ago

Wish I could be of more help hollywood, but I own them both & enjoy them equally! However, I'd say that LoTR is deeper. If that matters to you, then go LoTR. If it doesn't, then I'd go with SS because I think it's a bit more fun. Can't go wrong with either though...

#16 11 years ago

SS cuz Elvira is super sexy with tons of callouts! Hobbits are cute and fuzzy but you don't won't to bang them

#17 11 years ago

Scared Stiff > LOTR. You can never go wrong with any of the Elvira games for not only resale value, but theme, fun, humor, inuendos, and creativity. LOTR is a great game, but I feel appeals to a certain genre of fans. Both are great machines but in my personal opinion, I would take the SS.

#18 11 years ago

lotr has better longevity due to better and deeper rules, imo. i really liked the idea to buy both. if you buy both, then you have both (as a smart friend of mine said!).

#19 11 years ago

ss is funny, always makes me laugh, not super deep, but loads of fun to play. lotr i personally dont like... neet game, played it alot, dont want it in my lineup. both games are an easy resell for sure

#20 11 years ago

They are both great games but completely different. LOTR is a deep game and should last a long time in a collection. SS is just a blast to play but too shallow as an only game. I would probably get SS since it is harder to obtain and an easy resell, possibly even at a profit as they are getting more difficult to find. When you are tired of SS, sell it and get the LOTR.

#22 11 years ago

We own LOTR and it is great.But friends of owers own a ss that I have played a lot and we like ss more. And it is not that easy if you try for spider multi ball.

#23 11 years ago

easy:

If you would like to look at sweet chick in the artwork of a pinball machine: SS

If you like to play great pinball: LOTR

#24 11 years ago

You mean if you want BOTH, get SS....

#25 11 years ago

SS for fun and LOTR if you're one of those guys that liked standing in line at the DMV. Long, boring and seemingly endless. No offense to you LOTR fans, it's just not for me.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 11 years ago

Scared Stiff works for me. I notice more LOTR listings than SS.

#27 11 years ago

That is because SS is a keeper.

#28 11 years ago

I like SS, but it's nowhere near as good as LOTR in many aspects. SS is a really, really simple game in comparison, and that counts a lot in a home use setting.

#29 11 years ago

SS not a LOTR fan.

#30 11 years ago

The one you like

#31 11 years ago

"One does not simply WALK into Mordor!"

although, that'd be my choice.

Love the SS theme, but depth of gameplay in LoTR would make it a keeper for me.
and hopefully one day...

#32 11 years ago

Owned both, have LOTR here for the second time in my lineup. LOTR has better staying power, but I do love me some Elvira!

#33 11 years ago

Hell yeah you do!!!!! Me too.

#34 11 years ago

Lotr for sure! SS way too easy for me, I tried to like it because I love Elvira.....the more you play Lotr the better it gets, great staying power!

#35 11 years ago

good you got that choice,i wish i was in that position,but im gonna save my pennys, and hopefully by the end of the year get a scared stiff...so im saying scared stiff..both are awsome though...

#36 11 years ago

I have to go with SS it's not a deep game it is just alot of fun. LOTR is great and it is much deeper witch is good for the person that does nothing but pinball 24-7. When you have friends over that are not in to pinball (And most are not) they will enjoy SS much more.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

SS for fun and LOTR if you're one of those guys that liked standing in line at the DMV. Long, boring and seemingly endless. No offense to you LOTR fans, it's just not for me.

Thumbs up for honesty ( I'm a LOTR lover)

#38 11 years ago

LOTR was fun when I played it....but after you get the ball in that hole magnet thingy a few dozen times, it gets old (at least for me). With Scared Stiff you have The Crate (multiball), The Stiff in the Coffin Shot (multiball), Flying Frogs, Lane Light Changer Flippers, Bony Beast Ramp, The Stiff-O-Meter...and, of course, The Spinning Spider Backglass Situation. Great call-outs and awesome light show. Honch....did I forget anything?

#39 11 years ago

Find a way to get BOTH!

#40 11 years ago

Then you can't go wrong...

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

The Stiff-O-Meter.

The Stiffy meter is the best!

You have to play Lotr a few hundred time to appreciate the depth and even then it gets better and better!

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballman100:

When you have friends over that are not in to pinball (And most are not) they will enjoy SS much more.

Completely disagree with that.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

LOTR was fun when I played it....but after you get the ball in that hole magnet thingy a few dozen times, it gets old (at least for me). With Scared Stiff you have The Crate (multiball), The Stiff in the Coffin Shot (multiball), Flying Frogs, Lane Light Changer Flippers, Bony Beast Ramp, The Stiff-O-Meter...and, of course, The Spinning Spider Backglass Situation. Great call-outs and awesome light show. Honch....did I forget anything?

You're doing it wrong.

LOTR has just as many shots as SS.

And the Ring/magnet shot is much more interesting/satisfying that banging against the crate.

#44 11 years ago

What are they? Did I miss something....

#45 11 years ago

LOTR and SS are high on my list of pins to add to my collection. I am in the process of rearranging my basement to fit 2 more pins. I am thinking about adding both. There's a SS on ebay for $6700. Get both!

#46 11 years ago

I feel if the price and condition are comprable, LOTR is a much better home buy, and in my opinion a more valuable pin. have seen SS range from $2200-$3500 and LOTR $3500-$4500 so that is something to consider, and with Hobbit coming sometime (probably 2016 or so...) it will really bring some attention onto the LOTR game. Plus for me being under 40 elvira doesn't hold the huge sex appeal.

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

with Hobbit coming sometime (probably 2016 or so...)

Apparently when filming the lotr movies they made all three at the same time and the second hobbit is coming out this year and next year is the third so it will be late 2014

#48 11 years ago

Please let me know where there is a SS for $2,200...I sold 2 last year for $5,200 and $5,500.

#49 11 years ago

Please let me know where there is a SS for $3,500...I would like to buy one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 249.00
£ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 7.50
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-or-lotr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.