(Topic ID: 313645)

Scared Stiff or Elvira's House of Horrors?

By twinmice

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jfh
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Scared Stiff or Elvira's House of Horrors?”

• Scared Stiff 32 votes
    46%
  • Elvira's House of Horrors 38 votes
    54%

(70 votes)

#1 2 years ago

Which do you prefer, ones a classic and code not to deep, one's new and has deep code?

#2 2 years ago

Just made this choice. Had them sitting right beside one another for several months, and needed a spot. Easy choice between them as to which to keep: EHOH.

#3 2 years ago

I just had them both also side by side. Yes SS is not deep but it is more fun. Already let EHOH go.

#4 2 years ago

Well you guys are a big help.

I'm trying to decide about selling my SS (had it well over 15 years now) to get an EHOH -

#5 2 years ago

IMO they are both great games, but SS is the keeper.

#6 2 years ago

Glad to see EHOH leading the poll, means I might have an easier time finding a Scared Stiff

#7 2 years ago

Have owned both - SS lasted about 6 months. I GREATLY preferred the gameplay, shots and ramps of EATPM but the call-outs in SS are waaaaaaay better. It just wasn’t a keeper for me

#8 2 years ago

Depends on what you are going for.

I love scared stiff. Everything about it. I was told ehoh was better, played it, didn’t like it, shoots okay, but doesn’t have the innuendos, or feel of Elvira, it is literally, a game where Elvira is there but isn’t the focal point. So if you like code and rules, maybe ehoh is better…. But if you want Elvira then scared stiff

#9 2 years ago

I owned SS for 12 years or so, and it was frankly easy. I would go for months without turning it on, just to lose the familiarity with it and not blow it up every time. It's a fantastic machine and is funny and awesome looking. But so is EHOH, which also comes with a deep Lyman code masterpiece. I don't hang my hat on nostalgia when it comes to pinball. There is a reason EHOH is a top ten game.

#10 2 years ago

SS is a great classic and a fun game, but it's pretty shallow and easy. I find myself enjoying HOH a lot more. In fact I had all 3 Elvira's side by side and the only one remaining is HOH. But it really depends on if you like those solid classics or newer modern deep rule games.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Depends on what you are going for.
I love scared stiff. Everything about it. I was told ehoh was better, played it, didn’t like it, shoots okay, but doesn’t have the innuendos, or feel of Elvira, it is literally, a game where Elvira is there but isn’t the focal point. So if you like code and rules, maybe ehoh is better…. But if you want Elvira then scared stiff

I think this is the best take on these games. In SS, Elvira is *definitely* the focus. EHOH is an eerily accurate revue of the original Movie Macabre tv show - which she hosted - but was not exactly the focus. Really spot on observation.

#12 2 years ago

You need an option for keep both! They're both great in their own way, both are classic! I've been wanting a SS for awhile, when HOH came out I was in from the get go...I'm still waiting for my SS to come available. I know where it is just waiting for the timing to work out!...but my HOH will never leave!

Phoebe

1 month later
#13 1 year ago

Comparing the new ones to the old ones is an insult to the community SS all day

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

Comparing the new ones to the old ones is an insult to the community SS all day

huh?

#15 1 year ago

Owned both, EHOH all day long....

But that's' just my opinion what suits me. Go play both and choose.

#16 1 year ago

I have all 3. They are all fun but I think SS does it the best. Yes, it is simple but it isn’t easy to beat the wizard mode. The average player can get pretty far in SS and that same person would barely scratch the surface on HoH.

#17 1 year ago

Scared Stiff wins here. I played EHOH a few times and it could have been so much better.

#18 1 year ago

Scared stiff have the most charm and humor, obvious winner.

#19 1 year ago

Played a ton of SS, and love that game, but I wouldn’t own it. Too shallow. Perfect game for an arcade, as it was never designed for home use.

HOH is by far the better package for the home owner. Insane amounts of hilarious callouts, super deep code, awesome art/sound package, etc.

#20 1 year ago

Scared Stuff all the way. Getting there never gets boring and when you do it’s always entertaining. May be shallow but it’s just plain fun.

1 month later
#21 1 year ago

SS by a mile. I played the hell out of EHOH one snowy weekday evening at a local barcade around the time it came out and for the life of my I could not get into it like SS. EHOH is not a bad table, and is pretty enjoyable overall, but SS's charm and replayability is in its simplicity. I'm also a total simp for 90s Bally/Williams machines so SS has that going for it too. I also prefer Party Monster over EHOH as well.

#22 1 year ago

Would love to get EATPM some day, I’ve only ever played virtual versions of it, enjoyed it quite a bit. Still dramatically prefer EHOH over SS, partly because I connect with the original “horror host” Elvira vs the later Coors Light / Mistress of the Dark version of the character (even though both are awesome)

#23 1 year ago

Both. Or all three.

If that’s not an option -
EHOH if you have a small collection, Scared Stiff if you have a large one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 188.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

8,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lewiston, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

£ 49.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 31.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 12.95
$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
Pinhead mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-or-elvira-s-house-of-horrors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.