72%
  • Other 11 votes
    7%

(156 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

250.jpeg
#1 9 years ago

I will be buying a new machine in a couple weeks, or at least I will have the funds to, and I am torn between two of my favorite pins. Scared Stiff has lots of flow and just general fun with a great theme and lots of humor. Champion Pub has a TON of character and has always been one of my favorites, even though it is so different from normal pins.

All things equal, which would you buy? I tend to only keep machines 6 months or so, although both of these could stick around longer, so resale value and demand is a factor in my choice.

#2 9 years ago

I got both, both keepers. Scarred stiff is going up like crazy, if money is a factor you might find a pub cheaper. Tough call though, SS appeals to more players or a family and I consider it a fairly easy pin. CP is very low production and is different but equally as fun and can be very challenging for a better player.
It would be hard to buy one for Prob a lot, keep for 6 months and flip for more cash. Might have to hang on to it a little longer. I think CP is a sleeper and will make more money for you long term.

#3 9 years ago

I like champion pub a lot more. Played about 2 dozen games on each. Scared stiff I came into thinking it was gonna be awesome, but didn't see it. Champion pub is so much more fun with all the toys and different type shots. Very innovative.

#4 9 years ago

Champion pub. Everybody dump Scared Stiffs for Champion pub. So the price will go down and maybe I can afford one.

#5 9 years ago

+1 for Champion Pub

#6 9 years ago

Don't have a ton of play time on CP but own a SS. I bought a SS as it was my holy grail pin and have not regretted it. Absolutely love SS not sure there are better call outs on a pin.

#7 9 years ago

I would go with SS. CP is fun, but i think it would get old fast in a smaller collection.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Foo:

I would go with SS. CP is fun, but i think it would get old fast in a smaller collection.

Yeah I agree with this. The smaller collection, the more I would lean towards SS

#9 9 years ago

I agree with the Pinsiders above. I think you get more replayability from SS in a smaller collection. CP is fun, but I'd want it in a bigger collection where you have some more variety so it doesn't get old.

#10 9 years ago

+1 for CP if how long it will take you to "beat" the machine is an issue at all. An even half way decent player will complete the Stiff-o-Meter in no time, and then end up doing it multiple times in a game. I think that same player would take much much longer to run through all the boxers on CP.

NOTE - SS also has the Spider Mania multiball that some people might consider it's true wizard mode. That's definitely a way harder thing to get to.

I'd rather have CP many times over myself. I think it's a much harder table, and the theme is pretty dang unique, with an awesome toy in the middle. When playing SS for points, I just found myself looping the same ramp repeatedly game after game.

#11 9 years ago

Scared Stiff....'Nuff Said!

#12 9 years ago

Scared Stiff, imo best pin ever

#13 9 years ago

Scared Stiff by a mile - and getting to Monster Multiball is NOT beating the game any more than getting to Jericho on IM is beating IM. For anyone to consider themselves as having "beat" SS, they would need to complete Monster Multiball and Spider Multiball in the same game.

#14 9 years ago

Both a really cool CP is not as easy to complete as people think you have to complete all the training, complete knockouts which you have to do both jab ramps then knock out at least I fighter, then complete all jackpots, and all muti-balls then beat all the fighters and you will light up "the ultimate challenge" then you get a 4 ball multi ball and a full life bar to defeat all the fighters which is very hard there's is a trick to doing this is to save a lot of smart punches and use them during this ultra hard wizard mode it took me 5 years to finally defeat this mode, so there is a lot more to this game then just shooting balls at the middle,
With that being said I have both and will never sell either SS is awesome and a keeper for sure and CP is so rare I haven't seen one in my area sell for over 8 yrs???

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Longone:

CP is so rare I haven't seen one in my area sell for over 8 yrs???

Rare games are usually rare for a reason

#16 9 years ago

CP is my vote. Different games always add more flavor to a collection. I know I don't want to have a 4-6 games to be similar. Variety is the spice of life or is that pinball?

#17 9 years ago

SS for me. CP has some cool toys but the boxer got old really quick, for me, and always seemed to need repairs. CP would be great in a larger collection but not everyday fun.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#18 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Champion Pub. Everybody dump Scared Stiffs for Champion Pub so the price of SS will go down and maybe I can afford one.

Your reverse psychology gives away your real preference.

Quoted from McFlyBravo:

Scared Stiff, imo best pin ever

SS is my favorite game. I've played CP several times and never even considered wanting one.

#19 9 years ago

If I hadn't been offered $8000 for my SS it would still be here

#20 9 years ago

I think CP is one of the worst abominations ever created, so obviously my opinion doesn't count.

#21 9 years ago

Other.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

Whoa.... 8k and I think mine would be out the door too.

#23 9 years ago

8k? Will someone buy mine for that but no leg kickers please.

#24 9 years ago

+1 for SS.

#25 9 years ago

I've tried to like SS, honestly I have. I just don't understand at all the appeal. I find the theme relatively dull.

CP is fun and upbeat though, not played it extensively. But what do I know my buddy says I have very strange tastes.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

I'm thinking of selling mine for $7!

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I'm thinking of selling mine for $7!

I would definitely buy it for seven bucks, but I think you meant to type $7K.

#28 9 years ago

...no...$7 bucks....

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Your reverse psychology gives away your real preference.

250.jpeg250.jpeg

#30 9 years ago

Scared Stiff! for sure! Had a CP it was ok.......but SS with a sub woffer!!! whoo hoo!

1 week later
#31 9 years ago

SS.........

#32 9 years ago

SS by a wide margin. CP has so much that isn't pinball...it's a strange game. I never got into it and HATED the music.

#33 9 years ago

I voted for SS.

CP gets tiresome very quickly.

#34 9 years ago

Did you buy one or the other?

I own both, they are both great games but SS gets about 10 times as much use.

#35 9 years ago

No contest. SS

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 249.00
8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Machine - For Sale
Stratford, CT
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Carrollton, TX
£ 37.00
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 38.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 39.00
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-or-champion-pub and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.