Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mjfisher
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Played one a couple weeks ago, and forgot how much fun it was.

Thoughts from those that have or had one? You can see my lineup...lmk if you think it would be a good fit.

As I've only played on location, does it have staying power? Thanks for opinions....mark

#2 4 years ago

Fun at the beginning, gets old quickly. Miss the looks of it.

#3 4 years ago

I've had mine almost two years now. Only way I would sell it would be. If CGC made a remake. Then I'd buy a new one.
The game is just pure fun to play. Not much going for it code wise but still love it.

#4 4 years ago

I have had mine for 13 years now and I would never sell it. I love it when people say it is too easy. Spider Champion is extremely difficult to get and the Secret Passage is a God Shot. The game has a real "Old Fashioned" Skill Shot that is Awesome! This game also sounds really Awesome when you connect a Polk Audio Sub.

#5 4 years ago

I had one for about 4 years then sold it. I instantly regretted it, then bought another one. If your a fan of Horror & Monster Pins it’s a must have.

#6 4 years ago

I've always enjoyed it, but I've always thought the price tag attached to it is just too high for what it is, so I've never had a chance to grab one.

#7 4 years ago

Pretty game , however gets boring quick

#8 4 years ago

With your current collection, I think adding a SS would be a compliment. SS is just pure fun.

#9 4 years ago

It's a cool looking game but gets boring fast due to shallow code and how easy the game is to play.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've always enjoyed it, but I've always thought the price tag attached to it is just too high for what it is, so I've never had a chance to grab one.

It is beautiful, and the back box has a nostalgic way of interacting w gameplay. They don't seem to come up often, and definitely pricey...Need to put some more time on it, but intriguing for sure

#11 4 years ago

A beautiful game that fits well in a larger collection. One of the most played games in my collection and a favorite of guests. I've had mine for over 15 years, its a HEP restore, and has all the mods. It is going nowhere.

Unfortunately for you, there are not a whole lot of them for sale and a +7K price seems to be the going rate.

There is one for sale in the Marketplace.

#12 4 years ago

The Stern Elvira is coming soon.......stay tuned...

#13 4 years ago

One of the best. The game is only too easy if you don't know how to adjust it for top players. A properly playing Scared Stiff with posts and rubbers adjusted to be hard isn't too easy in the least.

#14 4 years ago

Way to easy to get to Monster Multiball. Although Spider Mania is another story. Ramps are great but too repeatable. Don’t like the right side or the center extra ball shot. Wish the Lab and dead heads did More. IMHO overrated but collectible.

#15 4 years ago

A great game for a larger collection. It only lasted 6 months in my gameroom. Love the theme and callouts, but the code is shallow, so I got bored of it. However, if I had a 15+ game collection, I'd still have it.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Love the theme and callouts, but the code is shallow, so I got bored of it.

That's the main flaw with the game, unfortunately. And the primary reason why I think the market price for it has been too high. You could get an AFM or MM for around the same price these days, and those are much deeper games.

#17 4 years ago

Fun game. Glad I got one. Wont deny . Thought about selling it, but then I remember its MY TURN to have the cookie cutter collection for awhile, and I can get a replacement PF and do a swap without hesitation.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Played one a couple weeks ago, and forgot how much fun it was.
Thoughts from those that have or had one? You can see my lineup...lmk if you think it would be a good fit.
As I've only played on location, does it have staying power? Thanks for opinions....mark

It would fit well in your lineup. Anything over 15 games and this game becomes more desirable to own. Horrible game for a small lineup though.

#19 4 years ago

In your collection it would be fine, but I'm a bit concerned based on your White Water rating. The two games are different in layout and theme, but they share similarities in design. Nordman is a master of accessible but shallow. His games are approachable for the novice and have a little challenge for the experienced player, but over time can feel a bit repetitious, something I don't experience with AFM but I do with MM. I love my Scared Stiff (I bought it in 2007) but I will admit that it needs a lot more variety in the callouts for the Deadheads and Feed the Crate (which obviously isn't happening), and the Leapers are annoying as hell. I can't imagine paying current price for it, especially when a new one (with rumored Lyman code) is on the way in a comparable price range. Mine's been pretty maintenance free. I will say that guests absolutely love it, probably more than I do, but I still enjoy playing it and it's the theme that has its hooks in me. I have never finished the Spider Wheel so there's still that challenge...

#20 4 years ago

Its a very shallow game, put it on hard or you would see it all within a few games.

#22 4 years ago

I knew before opening this thread, I would be seeing comments like "shallow", "easy", etc. Probably all true, but compared to what? Maybe DMD games of that era like TZ, IJ, etc., but don't we all like EM and SS games too...are those shallow and easy?

I've owned SS for about 12 years, and it's not going anywhere. TSPP, one of the deepest games ever, is no longer here. Sometimes you want to just have fun playing pinball, not grind out achievements. I will say, that anytime we have a party, SS is the top played game. Just purchased an EATPM and look forward to having them as bookends.

#23 4 years ago

To expensive for the amount of game you get, kind of like TOM.

#24 4 years ago

Bought my first SS almost 20 years ago and still have it. It's the game that basically started my collection. Ended up buying a second SS in 2016. It's an easier game but I love the music, sounds and art.

#25 4 years ago

I've had mine since around 2005. Love the monster/sci fi stuff, so it was a perfect fit for me. It'll be a nice addition to your collection.

Wife and I were on vacation - on the way out of town the last day we decided to get an ice cream for the drive home. We're waiting in line and she elbows me and points to a line of video games in the back, with a Scared Stiff stuffed in the middle. Display was garbled, couple things not working, but cosmetically beautiful. No operator sticker on the game. I asked the girl at the counter if she had the number of whoever owned it. After poking around in the back office for 5 minutes, she couldn't find it, took my number and said she'd call if she found it. So we left and I never expected to hear from her again. 15 miles down the road, she calls and gives me the number. So I call the op, ask if he wants to sell it, and he says I can pick it up in a couple weeks at his warehouse. So while I'm there, I see a nice AFM, ended up with that too. Our basement smelled like waffle cones from Scared Stiff for about a month, we got hungry every time we played it lol.

#26 4 years ago

IMO SS is MORE game from a physical/toy perspective than almost any other game out there.

The posts that are saying it's boring/easy depends on your perspective...
- If you think getting to Scared Stiff and beating it should be the "I Beat The Game!" moment - and then your done
---- then it will be boring for you, and you won't keep it
---- IMO - Scared Stiff is an advanced part of NORMAL GAME PLAY
------- I'm focused on: How well can I do (ie. points) in this game, and this Monster Multiball

I feel the "I beat it" mindset is more in-grained with heavy video game players - where you reach the end of the game and you're done. IMO pinball is more fun when you don't have that mindset - but that's my perspective. I also think CFTBL is one of the best games ever made, but it would have the same shallow code criticism. Ironically, most people saying these games are too easy haven't seen the deepest parts of either of these games - SS Spider Multiball, and CFTBL Super Scoring.

Again, SS can easily be set up EXTREMELY difficult - to the point that NO ONE will say it's too easy. Most people don't do this, and ANY game that is too easy for your skill level can get boring - so simply adjust it. There are plenty of both physical and software adjustments available.

#27 4 years ago

The game suck so much....now sell me yours as I've been looking for a nice one with a decent price for a long time now.

#28 4 years ago

Knowing you’re a fellow GOT nut T7 , I’m stunned you love this game. Haha.

Nothing about this game makes me want to keep playing. There’s nothing interesting about the rules except maybe trying for spider MB, but even that gets old quick. Going for score isn’t fun either.

There’s just no path to fun for me on this game. The high price tag doesn’t help either.

But I’m a big collection it’s fine. And your guests will enjoy it.

#29 4 years ago

In collection size of yours, SS will be a great fit and even better if you have friend gathering at your spot often. Not so much in a small collection tho but I still wouldn't mind owning one someday cuz I love Elvira's (.)(.) Oh the things I would do to her!!!

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

In your collection it would be fine, but I'm a bit concerned based on your White Water rating.

I played White Water a bit that day as well. The game is fun, but something about just makes me shy away after awhile.

Theme and "novelty" aspect is what kept me on it and raised my interest.

Went down "Stern alley" while there to get my fix of that sort of game (DP pretty solid), but kept going back and playing SS...Maybe because it was so different than anything I currently own.

Having TWDLE and AlienLE provides plenty of deep horror, but also enjoy the campy stuff like CFTBL and Munsters.

I'm an average player at best, and just enjoy " feel good" games at times. This seems like one of them.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I'm an average player at best, and just enjoy " feel good" games at times. This seems like one of them.

Absolutely. Get it.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Having TWDLE and AlienLE provides plenty of deep horror, but also enjoy the campy stuff like CFTBL and Munsters.

You need to find a Class of 1812.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

To expensive for the amount of game you get, kind of like TOM.

Apparently not, since people are paying the prices. Thats aside from the fact the everything is over priced now. NIB games for 9-12k with playfield issues keep driving up the costs on the older games

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

You need to find a Class of 1812.

This one has some of the Creepy-est sounds. The scream in that one is awesome. The theme is really creepy. I play this one whenever I see it on location just to get a dose of creepy!

#35 4 years ago

Simply put....as of now, Scared Stiff is the best pinball game ever made! Looking forward to Elvira 3!

#36 4 years ago

Scared Stiff is a game I absolutely love to play if I see it out and about, but I think I’d get pretty tired with it if I had it in my collection.

That’s just me though! Different strokes for different folks.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Fun game. Glad I got one. Wont deny . Thought about selling it, but then I remember its MY TURN to have the cookie cutter collection for awhile, and I can get a replacement PF and do a swap without hesitation.

Love your cookie cutter collection!

#38 4 years ago

OP - if you are looking for something that complements your collection, I would suggest you consider an 80’s solid state game. Pick up a Firepower or Sorcerer or something like that. It’ll be the lone solid state in your collection and it’ll be popular with people that like 80’s games, of which there are many. Cheaper too...

#39 4 years ago

Man, I love Firepower!!!

Played a black hole that day too, which reminded me how many great games are out there!!!

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I played White Water a bit that day as well. The game is fun, but something about just makes me shy away after awhile.
Theme and "novelty" aspect is what kept me on it and raised my interest.
Went down "Stern alley" while there to get my fix of that sort of game (DP pretty solid), but kept going back and playing SS...Maybe because it was so different than anything I currently own.

Theme is what does it for me, so that's probably the difference between this and WH20 for you. And it is nice to have a feel good game to play after BSD kicks my ass...

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

Theme is what does it for me, so that's probably the difference between this and WH20 for you. And it is nice to have a feel good game to play after BSD kicks my ass...

If I got one, it would be going right next to my BSD...that game destroys me.. lol..love it

Think you're right about the theme part

#42 4 years ago

Fun to play at a friends house and on location.
I couldn’t keep it in my small collection. There are too many better options for the money.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I couldn’t keep it in my small collection

So I am confused. What is a small collection? 10 games is a small collection? Wow! Shoot, I had 17 at one time and I thought that was getting on the large side. I was on my third room to keep em all. I guess if you have a 10,000 sf house, and you have 30 games, it is a small collection. I had 17 games in a 2500 sf house and I thought it was a large collection. Oh well play on...

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Man, I love Firepower!!!
Played a black hole that day too, which reminded me how many great games are out there!!!

Funny, I was just about to respond that it's the Firepower of the mid 90's. It's a classic and it's a simple rule set (great for teaching newbs). It'd be a fun pin with a 5+ pin collection. Fewer pins than that, and I would choose another game with a deeper set of rules. I had mine for about 8-9 years alongside NGG and Viking.

1 week later
#45 4 years ago

Man...Did a soft inquiry on a couple machines this week...Now gone!!

For being an expensive, "easy" game, they don't seem to last too long ...

#46 4 years ago

I might be selling mine.....

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I might be selling mine.....

Ted, You are such a liar....

#48 4 years ago

I’ve also thought about SS.
Enjoyed the pin but not sure if the code was all that deep.
As a general rule, is it’s rule set considered more shallow than MB?

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

I’ve also thought about SS.
Enjoyed the pin but not sure if the code was all that deep.

I don't know honestly. I like them both....a heavily routed MB in my shop....just never had the desire to put one in the lineup for some reason. SS starting to get more interesting to own.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

I’d say the rules are shallower, but not by much. You’re basically collecting monsters/items by repeatedly hitting shots to get to the wizard mode on both games, but MB has a bonus type round for each monster collected while SS has two, more distinct multiballs. The spider wheel adds some strategy though to SS. Both are a lot of fun (need more humor like this back in pinball) and shooters, but most decent players will get tired of playing them regularly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 37.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

£ 38.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
£ 39.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 249.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-opinions?hl=pinasco and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.