(Topic ID: 37712)

Scared Stiff Lamp Backbox Board Artwork - Replacement - Who wants one?

By Muppet_Man

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by kmoore88
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

light.jpg
new.jpg
broken-c.jpg
broken-l.jpg
#1 11 years ago

My Scared Stiff was in great condition when I bought it, except for the Translites lamp backbox board artwork (part number is 31-2587.2). It looked like someone had left the key in one time and then tried to open the board to get to the electronics behind. Result - smashed at the top (see photo). I've tied for over a year to get one, and it's been next to impossible. The only one I saw went for £300.00 on E-Bay, and I was too late for it anyway. I wish I'd have seen it beforehand, as quite frankly, to put the game back to perfect I would have bid.

However, you can't go on about things you could have had. So, it's got to the stage when to get my pin back to how it should be, I've had to bite the bullet.

This has involved about two months of work and a whole heap of cash, but eventually a new one has been made. In fact not a new one, but a new ten, because this was the minimum run they would do for me because of the setup costs of the machine.

I've included here a photo of the prototype they did. This one has a glossy front, which I didn't want, so they are going to make the next ones matt like the original. However, it still look damn good, and a whole heap better than what I had.

Now, these are not original, so please don't say that you'd only want NOS. Because as far as I know, there just are not any left, but these are pretty close, and given the option of looking at a genuine busted version, and a non genuine perfect version, I know which way I'm going.

In order to get some of the large sum I've shelled out back, I'm going to sell the other eight (I'm keeping the glossy one as a poster, plus one to repair mine and another as a spare in case I'm an idiot at some point in the future and break one).

I'm waiting for the final price off of the people who have done it for me, and once I've had it, I'll have an idea how much they should be.

But anyone who is interested, then by all means let me know. PM or just reply here, no problems with either.

Of course it may be that I'm the only one with a broken one, in which case I've just carried out the Worlds most expensive pinball repair!!

Cheers chaps.

#2 11 years ago

Here's the photo's, old and new.

broken-l.jpgbroken-l.jpg broken-c.jpgbroken-c.jpg new.jpgnew.jpg

#4 11 years ago

I've tried to take a photo here of it with torches behind, just so you can see the figures lighting up, but because it's not mounted on the backboard, the lights washing through and making everything look washed out. I'll post one as soon as I have a finished one mounted.

Cheers

light.jpglight.jpg

#5 11 years ago

Man, that's nice! I was looking hard for one of these for a while and managed to find a NOS one believe it or not. Mine was cracked in the same area.

I think mine got hot and brittle from the spinner board behind it. It looked like the spinner board was not spaced back far enough, allowing a heat sink at the top of the board to press against the rear of this art panel. I think it heated up the panel, made it brittle, and it just broke. There seems to actually be some melted plastic from this art panel on the heat sink.

So just a word of warning when you reassemble this, be sure nothing from the spinner board is contacting the rear of this art panel, just to be safe.

#6 11 years ago

Excellent note Rum-Z. I've just been a checked the layout, and I can see the transistor that gets hot. Although this would take a long time to effect the new board, I may look at including a small steel mod to help dissipate the heat away.

Much appreciated.

MM

#7 11 years ago

I may be interested, depending on cost and how it looks lit up. I've got 2 SS backbox inserts, both damaged. While they do shatter in that area, they also crack in areas that are just touching the wood board, no heat behind them, which is not as easily noticeable, but it does happen!

#8 11 years ago

Just to make everyone aware. This is the artwork, and not the whole board. So you will need to peel off your old one to apply the new one. This took me about ten minutes with a pallete knife.

The good news for this is if you live overseas, it shouldn't be a problem posting it, as it will roll up into a tube.

Thanks for the PM's guys.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

I may be interested, depending on cost and how it looks lit up. I've got 2 SS backbox inserts, both damaged. While they do shatter in that area, they also crack in areas that are just touching the wood board, no heat behind them, which is not as easily noticeable, but it does happen!

Thanks for the note JW. I must admit I thought I might have been the only one, but by the PM's I've had, it would seem I'm not alone and as you say, they seem to break in other areas also.

Ta

#10 11 years ago

I need one of these as well. Mine is cracked. I keep hoping they repo them someday.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

It looked like the spinner board was not spaced back far enough, allowing a heat sink at the top of the board to press against the rear of this art panel. I think it heated up the panel, made it brittle, and it just broke. There seems to actually be some melted plastic from this art panel on the heat sink.

It looks to me as if a simple bit of heat resistant tape should work fine in front of that transistor. I'll make sure to use some on the back in the relevant position.

#12 11 years ago

Message got thanks ABT12

#13 11 years ago

Just so you guys know, I got the obligatory "Your infringing copyright" e-mail.

They of course have every right to send this, and it was a polite enough mail and of course I wouldn't want to upset anyone. So no harm done, and I pointed out eight items sold for no profit is hardly going to effect them.

I've offered them my artwork and stuff if they want it, so hopefully the World of Pinball will continue to move (drag kicking and screaming) on so we all get the bits we want to keep our pins in good nick.

If producing something yourself leads to getting a factory original reproduced, that wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Now what do we need next......? Suggestions on a post card - as the saying used to go

#14 11 years ago

Well heck, if they would just produce that damn things, I would be more than happy to purchase one from them. It sounds like many of us need this part. I was just happy that someone finally offered it. I guess they could take you to court for the 25 bucks profit your going to make in the end. Seems counterintuitive to me.

#15 11 years ago

Make sure you get a fat check for your efforts if they take your art. Guarantee THEY won't be selling "at cost"....

#16 11 years ago

Cheers chaps, I'm imagining that they would have access to all of the original artwork, so for them, it probably wouldn't be anywhere near the problem that I've had. I did ask them just out of interest, but didn't get a reply.

Onwards and upwards.

2 months later
#17 11 years ago

Whatever happened with this?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
£ 49.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lewiston, NY
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

£ 39.00
$ 249.00
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-lamp-backbox-board-artwork-replacement-who-wants-one and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.