Scared Stiff - Inserts in Rough Shape.... Advice Needed!

(Topic ID: 233631)

Scared Stiff - Inserts in Rough Shape.... Advice Needed!

By Evangelist

13 days ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by whthrs166
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180708_134133 (resized).jpg
20180708_134151 (resized).jpg
20180708_134140 (resized).jpg
20180708_134133 (resized).jpg
20180708_134122 (resized).jpg
20180708_134126 (resized).jpg
20180708_134114 (resized).jpg
20180708_134105 (resized).jpg
20180708_134100 (resized).jpg

#1 13 days ago

Long time lurker first time poster...

I have recently bought a Scared Stiff which was cheap but not necessarily great value but bought it as a challenge as it was in fairly rough shape.

I have spend plenty of hours getting the game mechanically & electronically sound to the point that the game functions well but now need to decide how far I take the restoration.

Let me start by saying I am looking to get this game to a good player's quality machine and not a smick collectors quality machine... I love playing with and not looking at my pinball machines.

Virtually every decals on the inserts are completely shot (see pictures at the bottom) and there is some very minor damage which I think can be touched up on the playfield but the actual playfield is in fair condition. Apart from the decals on the inserts having cracked or worn off the inserts some of the inserts are very uneven.

When I first bought the machine I thought I would do a full playfield swap (would be my first one) using a Micro Playfield (https://mircoplayfields.com/en/p/scared-stiff-mirco-playfield) but know toying with the idea of repairing rather than replacing the playfield using a new decal set like the ones from Ministry of Pinball (http://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/game-specific-items/bally/scared-stiff/scared-stiff-insert-decals.html).

The advice I am asking for is:

Would you do the playfield swap or the repair?

If you do the repair and replace the decals...
1) where is the best place to buy good quality decals?
2) do I need to remove & sand flat all the inserts before replacing the decals or do I buy new inserts and start fresh?
3) I presume I re-glue the inserts back into the playfield before sticking the decals back on the inserts and if so how do you get the insert to be the right height so with the decal stuck on it the decal is flush to the playfield?
4) once the decals are replaced is there anything I can do I need to do to "finish" the job short of having the whole playfield clear coated?

Whatever I end up doing I plan to document it with the intention of helping others in the same predicament.

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to give me advice....

Jason

The Pinball Evangelist
Spreading the Gospel of Pinball One Ball at a Time

20180708_134133 (resized).jpg20180708_134100 (resized).jpg20180708_134105 (resized).jpg20180708_134114 (resized).jpg20180708_134122 (resized).jpg20180708_134126 (resized).jpg20180708_134133 (resized).jpg20180708_134140 (resized).jpg20180708_134151 (resized).jpg

#3 13 days ago

I did, vid1900 guide is awesome but a little over whelmed by all the information in it so thought....

I thought would ask a handful of specific questions which I have not yet found in the 127 page guide (yet).... do you reckon I should just repost this in that thread?

Jason

#4 13 days ago

If the machine is mechanically sound now, just do the playfield swap....if that's within your skill level....

#5 13 days ago

This playfield has so many bad inserts, I think the playfield swap is a better choice.

It's a shame, as the playfield really does look nice other than all the chipped off inserts.
Do you have any idea what caused this? Maybe some odd climate conditions of very high humidity and heat?

#6 13 days ago
Quoted from T7:

This playfield has so many bad inserts, I think the playfield swap is a better choice.
It's a shame, as the playfield really does look nice other than all the chipped off inserts.
Do you have any idea what caused this? Maybe some odd climate conditions of very high humidity and heat?

I don't know the history of the machine apart from the fact that it was operated for several years and had several hack fixes which I have slowly remedied...

I have never done a playfield swap and thought this might be a fairly simple game to 'learn' on but then I am looking @ $1000+shipping for the playfield vs $50 for the decals.... I know at the end of the day the new playfield will look 10X better but thought I would ask others options because if it is a 2-3 hour job to change decals to get me to 85% of the result and end up with a good playing game for a fraction of the cost... but from what it sounds its not that simple.

I also know if I put the new playfield in I will then suddenly look at the cabinet and all the ramps ect ect and think I need to do a much higher end restore.

#7 13 days ago
Quoted from Evangelist:

I don't know the history of the machine apart from the fact that it was operated for several years and had several hack fixes which I have slowly remedied...
I have never done a playfield swap and thought this might be a fairly simple game to 'learn' on but then I am looking @ $1000+shipping for the playfield vs $50 for the decals.... I know at the end of the day the new playfield will look 10X better but thought I would ask others options because if it is a 2-3 hour job to change decals to get me to 85% of the result and end up with a good playing game for a fraction of the cost... but from what it sounds its not that simple.
I also know if I put the new playfield in I will then suddenly look at the cabinet and all the ramps ect ect and think I need to do a much higher end restore.

IMO it will take much longer than 2-3 hours (at least for me lol). You are missing a lot of clear coat that has chipped off, so you will need to fill that in somehow, and get things level. Plus you need to make sure that whatever clear coat you "keep" around the chipping isn't going to continue to chip off. With chipping as bad as you have I would think that would be a major concern. Also, the Decals you would put on will need to be protected - you could put mylar over them, but many times people clear coat over the decal fixes.

On the other hand, this playfield is pretty poor as is - so you could look at it as $50 for decals and a fun "give it a shot" experiment. If it doesn't work out, you can always go with the new playfield route, and you're only out an extra $50 and your time.

#8 12 days ago

You've stated you're looking for a good players machine. I'd sand the inserts clean and lay down laminated decals. To the untrained eye, it would look good as new.

#9 12 days ago

Repairing the inserts might take more time than a playfield swap. If you really like the game and plan on keeping it then get a new playfield.

#10 12 days ago

You could also, just add the decals and put a PF protector over it, making it a players game
which still would have the shine like clear coated PF and level the inserts.

#11 12 days ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Repairing the inserts might take more time than a playfield swap. If you really like the game and plan on keeping it then get a new playfield.

That's the bottom line. Are you going to keep it? If you MAY sell it or trade it in the future, do a great restore. You will always get your money back as Scared Stiff is, in my opinion, the greatest pinball machine ever made!
Where do you live?

#12 12 days ago

I have to agree with the assessment that repairing that many inserts will be as much work as a playfield swap. To do either, you will need remove and strip down the playfield.

#13 12 days ago

If it were me I’d bite the bullet and get the new playfield, that way all the time and expense will be worthwhile in the end. Once you see the new playfield in person you will agree there’s no comparison, as Mirco does amazing work - and you’ll get the money back if you sell the game someday

1 week later
#14 3 days ago

Based on all the advice here it was between 5 options

1) repair the inserts with new decals and get a playfield protector $45+$115 = $160 : Cost = Low : Effort = Medium : Result =5/10
2) buy second hand playfield $200-300 : Cost = Medium : Effort = High : Result =6/10
3) sell the game as is and wait for another one to buy $2000 : Cost = High : Effort = Low : Result = 7/10
4) repair the inserts with new decals and get a playfield clear coated $750 : Cost = Medium to High : Effort = High : Result =9/10
5) buy new mirco playfield $1000 : Cost = High : Effort = High : Result =10/10

So I could not help myself and going to go with 5...

Thanks for all the advice and those who messaged me.

Jason

#15 3 days ago

You made the right decision. I have done a PF swap on AFM twice now. It's intimidating the first time; however, there are some very solid guides on here to help you. My thread is ok - and I mean just ok - for the swap I just completed in Dec 2018:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-tear-down

Fellow pinsider, mof did a FAR superior PF swap guide which can be viewed here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-swap-guide

I am so hungry to do Scared Stiff. After doing AFM, I wouldn't even begin to hesitate. You'll be SO happy when it's done. Don't be afraid to ask questions here. Good luck!!!

#16 2 days ago
Quoted from Evangelist:

5) buy new mirco playfield $1000 : Cost = High : Effort = High : Result =10/10

So I could not help myself and going to go with 5...

Waiting to follow that thread!

#17 2 days ago

The game is certainly worth doing a new PF. I am interested in your old play field if you would like to sell it. Please PM me if your interested.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
£ 49.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Boards
PinSound
€ 3.70
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
£ 37.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 40.00
£ 49.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside