(Topic ID: 120142)

Scared Stiff Dancing Boogeymen Alignment

By pinbob

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Haven't seen too many discussions on adding the dancing Boogeyman mod to Scared Stiff. I'm installing a kit I bought a while ago and upon testing, the kickers come into *slight* contact with the playfield (yeah, some bigger than dust sized pieces chipped). I turned the game off, made adjustments trying to wiggle the kicker mount back but there is still some slight contact. I suspect some of the added weight to the kicker is adding momentum to the travel. I've seen other games where the kickers have hit the wood before, but I'm wondering if anyone has some tips on the boogeymen.

There's also a bit of play in the linkage, so they wiggle a little left and right. Anyone know how to tighten up the sideways movement? Do I need to add washers in between the armatures or will that make it too tight and lead to binding / rubbing issues? I bought new slingshot plastics a few years ago and would hate to destroy them.

1 week later
    #2 9 years ago

Removed link to Scared Stiff, this happens to be a Scared Stiff machine but I don't feel the alignment of the kickers is game specific.

3 weeks later
    #3 9 years ago

An update on this. Haven't had much time to work on this, but I added the slingshot plastics back and the kickers rub the plastics, ever so slightly. In addition to cost, I'm now wondering if this is why Bally pulled the "dancing" from the production version of the game? I read that the monsters arms would also break, but rubbing the plastics seems like a bigger problem to me. The supplier of the kit has not been helpful in diagnosing, any advice is welcome here -- including NOT keeping the mod if it's not worth it.

#4 9 years ago

Hmmm...I've had 3 Scared Stiffs and never had the problem.
    Robert...where are you??

#5 9 years ago

Sounds like you have the repro slings, you have to heat the opening between the feet with a Bic lighter on the face side moving it rapidly and then reform the opening with your pinky finger.
    The repros are narrower and not as deep as the originals and I reformed a few sets for buyers that had the mod before sending them out.
    For the wobble check the pin the arm goes on and if it is loose you can swage it tight with a hammer or replace it.
    For the too far forward movement stretch the spring out and reinstall.

#6 9 years ago

Which boogie man kit do you have? The original spring style or the "new and improved" one that was "machined from a solid block of aluminum" or something along those lines?

#7 9 years ago

Have you checked the pivot links? There should not be much, if any, side to side play. Maybe they are slightly worn.

Do you have a picture of the new kickers you are using?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-dancing-boogeymen-alignment and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.