Hello,
Have a Scared Stiff that has an issue with the crate door. When the
ball hits the door it does not register a hit. In other words, it does
not trigger the sound effect and Elvirs's comment, thus the crate door
never opens. It seems to be an intermittant problem. It works every
now and then but is not working now. I've checked all the conections
and plugs. Any ideas?

#2 14 years ago

The adjustment is below the playingfield not on the door. You should see a small circuit board below and infront of the crate. There is a small ajustment knob on the board. Turn it up a bit and then check to see if the light comes on when the ball travels over, if the light is on already you might have to turn the sensor knob down.

3 years later
#3 10 years ago

My scared stiff has developed this same problem. Searching pinside threads normally gives me the answers I need, but I need a bit more help on this one.

I found the crate sensor, but where is the sensor knob I can adjust?

crate_circuit.JPGcrate_circuit.JPG

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Sympathy:

My Scared Stiff has developed this same problem. Searching pinside threads normally gives me the answers I need, but I need a bit more help on this one.
I found the crate sensor, but where is the sensor knob I can adjust?

It's not that board. Follow the wires from that board and you will find a second board that has a knob on it. Adjust that knob with a screwdriver until the LED barely goes off and you should be good to go.

#5 10 years ago

Pick up a Pinbits auto eddy board. My original board always needed adjustment. Never had an issue after I installed the new one.

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_57&products_id=203

#6 10 years ago

Great, thanks guys! I've adjusted the sensor and it works fine now. If the problem persists I'll install a new board - I'll see how it goes. And in case anyone non-technical searches old threads to find answers like I do, here's a pick of the second board with adjustment knob:

light_sensor.jpglight_sensor.jpg

#7 10 years ago

If the adjustment works for a while but then it goes back to not registering hits, try rebuilding the 2 pin connector on the right side of the board. That worked for me.

#8 10 years ago

GDwats is on the right track - but I suggest just pulling the wires out of the connector and soldering them to the pads on the back of the board.
We do this to all TZ proximity boards that come thru the shop and a couple other places as well.
100% connection to never be in question again.
D

2 years later
#9 8 years ago

Thanks guys, I just had this problem on an SS I recently purchased. This thread helped me greatly. Many thanks.

5 months later
#10 7 years ago

Yes, thanks tons. You just helped me fix my problem as well with my SS. Really appreciate it!

2 years later
#11 4 years ago

This thread saved me time! Love ya, Pinside!

#12 4 years ago

This board is called an Eddy Switch and it's the same one used in Cirqus Voltaire FYI. There are new versions out that fix many issues the original had. I should get one for my CV...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

£ 38.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 249.00
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

£ 49.00
9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-crate-problems?hl=mack505 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.