909DC566-BA18-4A7B-948B-A2812A966538 (resized).jpeg
609C131B-B6E8-4B42-8AA0-225FC367851B (resized).jpeg
6E875811-9FBF-4B9F-BAB8-8010367C0AC5 (resized).jpeg
20231003_155922 (resized).jpg
20231003_155902 (resized).jpg
20231003_155906 (resized).jpg
20231003_155847 (resized).jpg
20231003_155855 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrnanaba.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2259 7 years ago

Hi. Fairly new owner of A Scared Stiff machine about a year. Recently have been wondering about maintenance of the machine. One thing I've been looking at are the rubber bumpers around the outlanes. Wondering if this looks normal see pictures. Seems like the rubbers that span two or three posts should be individual rings vs one over several. Any guidance would be a help. Loving the game!

IMG_1035 (resized).JPGIMG_1035 (resized).JPG

IMG_1036 (resized).JPGIMG_1036 (resized).JPG

IMG_1037 (resized).JPGIMG_1037 (resized).JPG

IMG_1038 (resized).JPGIMG_1038 (resized).JPG

#2262 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

They are supposed to be individual but the way it is works and really wont change anything . Your really sld clean them and the playfield tho...

Yes it needs a good cleaning and possible tuneup. The ball gets stuck on several of the lane switches even when ejecting from the coffin and up by the deadheads. When ejecting from the spider hole it sometimes fails to go into the beast and rolls toward the middle drain or it will get stuck in the metal flap of the entry to the beast. And most concerning, but I got it this way, the play field is peeled/pitted under the numbers of the stiff meter that I'm trying to figure out what to do (see pic). Any thoughts? I may be looking for a local expert soon.

IMG_1039 (resized).JPGIMG_1039 (resized).JPG

#2264 7 years ago

PM sent. Thanks!

#2270 7 years ago

Had The machine open today and noticed this today. Any ideas where this should connect. Could anyone take a pic of yours for reference. I am entertained by the tooth pick I found...Thanks

IMG_1052 (resized).JPGIMG_1052 (resized).JPG

IMG_1053 (resized).JPGIMG_1053 (resized).JPG

#2273 7 years ago

The skull pile was it - those were for the bottom center one. I upgraded from a toothpick holder to an electric tape job. Thanks!

8 months later
#2546 6 years ago

Uh-oh....this doesn’t seem good....

A3CDA868-D623-40EF-98E4-6DB2410DF49F (resized).jpegA3CDA868-D623-40EF-98E4-6DB2410DF49F (resized).jpeg

0A25E871-33CD-401A-8C8F-8F364A53B8C5 (resized).jpeg0A25E871-33CD-401A-8C8F-8F364A53B8C5 (resized).jpeg

#2548 6 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

I had that happen on my Who Dunnit. The connector going from the dmd to the board in the head was just dirty. Unplugging it, cleaning the connector and putting it back fixed it.

I turned it off and disconnected one of the cables to the dmd and shot some air and the connection points. So far so good. Looks like it’s time for a dusting in there. Thanks for the tip.

11 months later
#3097 5 years ago

Hi all. My DMD is dead I think...just looking for some reassurance I’m not missing something. It’s dead as in there are no dot lights at all - completely black. A few games before it went dark it was doing a partial display.

Sine it has gone dark I’ve tried removing cables/ribbons to the board and reattaching, cleaning the area of dust, looking for any disconnects - with no success. Game still plays fine and registers score and progress with all call outs. Which leads me to believe the DMD died.

The one thing I noticed and am questioning is this board that looks to attach to the DMD. The top right area with the “white” part seems slightly burnt and after leaving the game on it gets hot to the touch - is this normal and/or can this cause the DMD to not display?

Thanks for any suggestions.

C7796932-B826-4FE5-A366-815D8ADC8FDA (resized).jpegC7796932-B826-4FE5-A366-815D8ADC8FDA (resized).jpegD1639070-8E32-4562-95BF-F73CB05DDAC6 (resized).jpegD1639070-8E32-4562-95BF-F73CB05DDAC6 (resized).jpeg
#3100 5 years ago

The four fuses in the pic looked to be intact. I’ll keep looking around for other stuff...yes I think the color DMD will be the way to go. Now to research that...then explain to my wife who is always thrilled when stuff happens.

Thanks for the reply and explanation on the fire resistors.

3 weeks later
#3125 5 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

Don't buy a new DMD before you have checked out your board first! Can you swap your DMD with one from a different machine? Had the same issue. Turned out faulty board component. $50 repair bill vs.new DMD which would not have worked anyway.

Great thought. Didn’t think or know this...Are DMDs interchangeable? I have the original that came with MMR when that got a color upgrade at purchase. I will try that. Also could I use the color DMD off that machine or is there special software that comes when you buy the color one to make it work? I also have my AC/DC that I could borrow from.

#3127 5 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

This. Also, check your voltages while you have the multimeter out. That could be another source of failure.

Quoted from Marcbud:

Since you had partial operation since it failed completely, it is probably not a fuse, but visually inspecting a fuse is sketchy and is better done with a multimeter set to measure Ohms which you can get for $9 on Amazon. It should measure 0 for a good fuse.
That said, the ColorDMD is a huge upgrade IMHO, it makes the entire game look a lot better. I highly recommend it!

Grabbed a basic multimeter...

On either of these is there a guide to help know how to test the boards and voltage?

I found fuse f113 out on the power board. I switched it with the same fuse that controlled the flippers it didn’t resolve my DMD issue...so something else to understand.

Quoted from MrNanaba:

Great thought. Didn’t think or know this...Are DMDs interchangeable? I have the original that came with MMR when that got a color upgrade at purchase. I will try that. Also could I use the color DMD off that machine or is there special software that comes when you buy the color one to make it work? I also have my AC/DC that I could borrow from.

Got home. Realized I don’t have a basic extra DMD and don’t think the one in AC/DC looks compatible and if was not sure I’d want to pull that one out.

Looking more and more like a color upgrade is coming...even if I do find something wrong elsewhere.

#3131 5 years ago
Quoted from Marcbud:

I do remember that when I installed my ColorDMD, that it connected to a completely different part of the machine, and in fact, you don't use the original cable anymore. This "might" get around your current issue. https://www.colordmd.com/installation/ColorDMD%20LED%20Installation%20Instructions%20WPC%20WPC95%20Rev1.PDF

Think I’m going to go the color DMD route....difference on LED vs LCD...and do both options connect the same?

#3144 5 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

LCD is an excellent choice for this game. Graphics look very sharp. You will be very pleased!
[quoted image]

Went with LCD. Looks great and all is working. Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.

Next up - I grabbed a 1.5 ROM chip. Just a bit nervous on pulling a chip off the board the 1st time so want to make absolutely sure I switching the right one. How do I know/identify the chip to swap?

6A5A84DC-1A05-4AA4-8602-11AAD3B463FF (resized).jpeg6A5A84DC-1A05-4AA4-8602-11AAD3B463FF (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#3177 5 years ago

Running into two issues which have been bugging me for awhile:

1. Fuse F113 keeps blowing. I think this just lights the spider hole and th ramps. Can’t find any loose or touching connections.

2. When crate multi ball starts, occasionally, the crate jackpot stops and it’s like playing the machine in ‘regular’ mode with two balls.

Any suggestions.

#3186 5 years ago
Quoted from Marcbud:

1) Strange, but I had a problem with that exact fuse blowing. This is the power to the string of lights with the white-orange wiring, light around the bottom of the table, the bottom bumpers and the rail that feeds the outlanes to the flippers. This drove me crazy and I tracked it down to a short in one of the bulb sockets, the ones used in production are not very good quality. Finding the right socket is a PITA. With the fuse out and power off, I used a multimeter in continuity mode (it beeps when a short is detected) and took all the lights out. I then wiggled them one one at a time adding a burnt out bulb until I heard the beep. New sockets are < $2 at pinball life, but you will need to solder to remove the old one and put the new one in.
2) The only reason that I can think that this would happen is that the table "thinks" that you have lost one of the balls, likely due to a faulty sensor, does this only happen for Terror from the Crate? What about Stiff in the Coffin? Has the table ever acted like you lost a ball in normal play when you had not?

1. That’s for the suggestion, I’ll have to find the time to try and track down a short along that wire.

2. Haven’t ever noticed the Coffin multiball cancelling out with more than 1 ball in play. I agree with the sensor idea. Tonight when I played a couple quick games during one game it suddenly gave me a second ball in play - with no multi ball activated.

Thanks for the ideas...now just have to find the time to do the work.

#3189 5 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Wow dude just noticed you are from Gurnee! My dad was born there. My grandpa built his house on Stern School Road. It was demolished to build Great America. Anyway...

Drive by Six Flags twice a day almost everyday. I’ll put checking that switch on my list.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lewiston, NY
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 49.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 249.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrnanaba.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-clubmembers-only?tu=mrnanaba and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.