909DC566-BA18-4A7B-948B-A2812A966538 (resized).jpeg
609C131B-B6E8-4B42-8AA0-225FC367851B (resized).jpeg
6E875811-9FBF-4B9F-BAB8-8010367C0AC5 (resized).jpeg
20231003_155922 (resized).jpg
20231003_155902 (resized).jpg
20231003_155906 (resized).jpg
20231003_155847 (resized).jpg
20231003_155855 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mad_dog_coin_op.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2783 6 years ago

Hey SS members - I need some help. My original slingshot plastics are repaired and I can't find a suitable replacement. Here is the problem: The originals allow for the dancing boogie man mod while the replacements are narrower between the feet. If I Dremel out the replacement to accommodate they look a little funny. I've have tried two different aftermarket SS slingshots plastics and didn't like or use them for that reason. Who sells a good set that will work with this mod? Thanks in advance.

#2785 6 years ago

Thanks whthrs166 - I'll give it a try. I hope the 3rd time is the charm. I hate wasting funds on subpar replacements.

2 months later
#2890 5 years ago
Quoted from Haggy38:

Thanks guys,
Fortunately in Colombia there's not a high pinball demand, that helps. I need help here, the playfield is missing the skull pile, Marcos got it but it seems there's a leds board behind them? A picture would help. Thanks
Gustavo

There isn't a board. It is a cable harness with LEDs installed. Same story with the candle flames. You can buy it here:

http://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/SS_Page.html

Does the area have the flashers installed? You might need that also.

#2892 5 years ago

That is funny. See that hole with nothing in it closer to the back side of the Boney Beast. That is where red flasher goes. Please see photo:

The remaining holes is where the flasher should be that backlights the skull pile. I don't think the blue doom is part of the assembly.

SS PF (resized).pngSS PF (resized).png

#2893 5 years ago

So if you buy the skull pile, LED eyes and the candle flames you should be good to go. Just have to move a few things around.

4 months later
#3098 5 years ago

I think what you are referring to are the large white fire resistors on your board. Those get hot by design. That is why they are in the white material. It allows some to heat to dissipate without bursting into flames. Looks like you need a new DMD. I would suggest just biting the bullet and getting a color one from Color DMD. They are the bomb.

#3099 5 years ago

Did you check all your fuses? Just wanted to make sure it wasn't something simple.

1 week later
1 year later
#3433 4 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

Does anybody know who can custom paint some boney flippers?
Modfather?

Paint them yourself. Bone is super easy to paint. It is a dry brush technique. There are YouTube videos on how to do it.

#3438 4 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Why would the apron have these numbers on it?[quoted image]

Probably some previous owner’s inventory system. It was part of a fleet or something. I got an Haunted House from a movie studio and it has a prop department tag on it with a number. Same type of thing.

#3442 4 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

Has anybody tried the Comet brand "retro" SMD LEDs in SS without LED OCD boards?
I'm on a very limited budget these days and am having a bit of sticker shock after finding the LED and GI (why more expensive than the LED?) add up to $290 before tax (9.25% assuming there is tax) and shipping.
Typically my game is at home with very few plays (like 10 a month).
It's at a very nice location for coin play right now, but it was routed before I got it and I see no heat damage from the old bulbs (I think there might be a little lifting under the mylar at the inserts just infront of the flippers, but I don't know if that's due to heat or what).
So I'm thinking of just sticking with incandescent bulbs...maybe I'll be more enthusiastic about OCD boards and LEDs tomorrow, but between SS and LOTR my budget for non-life-essentials this rest of the year would be wiped out (I haven't even thought about Xmas yet).

I have games that needed the LED OCD board. In my opinion, SS isn't one of them. Comet LEDs are the way to go but not the "retro" ones (not enough light). I would go with 2SMD bulbs in sunlight for your GI and then color match your inserts. Do the ghost busters ones for your inserts. It will look great. The only down side is you will loose the "dimming effect" by not having the LED OCD board.

1 week later
#3467 4 years ago

I have a problem with my first generation Boney Beast Real Eyes mod made by F-2NIRO. I wrote him but he hasn't responded yet. I was wondering if anyone else is having the issue? The problem is one or both of the eyes locks up or drops color after about 10 minutes of game time. They have always been flaky but I really like the look. Anyway, I got tired of it and pulled out my modified head (the original is now installed). The eyes are basically digital camera screens. This got me thinking. Digital cameras usually run on a single battery. That battery is usually 3.2 to 3.6 volts. I'm testing my theory now. I have the modified snake head on my shop power supply set for 3.5 volts DC and it is working perfectly for several hours now. I believe the 6 volts generated by the pinball machine is out of specs for these screens. A simple solution to this problem (if true) would be to add a DC to DC convertor into the wire harness (like a $2 part on eBay). Anyway - Just curious if anyone else is have an issue and / or cares about this possible fix. If so, I can post my findings.

20191111_195946 (resized).jpg20191111_195946 (resized).jpg
#3473 4 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I have a problem with my first generation Boney Beast Real Eyes mod made by F-2NIRO. I wrote him but he hasn't responded yet. I was wondering if anyone else is having the issue? The problem is one or both of the eyes locks up or drops color after about 10 minutes of game time. They have always been flaky but I really like the look. Anyway, I got tired of it and pulled out my modified head (the original is now installed). The eyes are basically digital camera screens. This got me thinking. Digital cameras usually run on a single battery. That battery is usually 3.2 to 3.6 volts. I'm testing my theory now. I have the modified snake head on my shop power supply set for 3.5 volts DC and it is working perfectly for several hours now. I believe the 6 volts generated by the pinball machine is out of specs for these screens. A simple solution to this problem (if true) would be to add a DC to DC convertor into the wire harness (like a $2 part on eBay). Anyway - Just curious if anyone else is have an issue and / or cares about this possible fix. If so, I can post my findings.[quoted image]

Just an update on my Boney Beast Real Eyes mod. F-2NIRO has reached out to me and wants me to test a few things for him and report back (input and output voltages on his board). He informs me that his mod does trim the voltage down to the correct level. I’ll make another post when I know more. The onboard voltage regulation may have failed.

#3475 4 years ago
Quoted from BuckNaked:

I'm also experiencing weird behaviour of the eyes. After 10-15 minutes one eye changes color. I've purchased mine in march '19.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is one of my symptoms also. I’m still working on a fix. Out of the game everything works great. The problem might be electrical noise on the game’s wire harness. I’m considering a dc power converter plugged directly into the ac service plug of the game.

#3483 4 years ago

I have figured out what is wrong with my Boney Beast Real Eyes mod. The unit works perfectly on my test bench when given clean 5.5 - 7 DC volt power. When installed in the pinball machine on a 6 volt DC circuit it fails after 10 minutes or so. So, what's the difference? The only thing I can come up with is noise on the game's wiring hardness. When features get activated or stop it causes small power fluctuations on the wire harness which seems to negatively impact this mod. On my game the attract mode will even cause the failure. To duplicated the test I hooked my snake head back to my test beach and increased and decreased voltage rapidly by .25 of a volt and got it fail rather quickly. The dips and spikes are still within the hardware's specs but it seems unable to handle the variances. The mod's creator has suggested that I find a different source of power in the game and try that. There might be a more stable 6 volt DC circuit (I was using the recommended one going to the crate) but a sure thing would be plugging a 6 volt DC convertor into the service plug of the pin and using that. The service plug has it's own problem because it is always on. It would need to be modify to turn off (which is fairly easy) or you would need to plug in the DC convertor when the game is being used (and unplug when not in use). For me personally, I think I'm over this mod. While it wasn't working I got use to the OEM snake head again. The "real eyes" look cool but knowing how many balls are locked seems to out weigh the coolness.

6 months later
#3649 3 years ago
Quoted from Edster:

I have an NOS original SS eyeball shooter rod. Curious what it's worth?

Did Bally actually make one? I thought they were all aftermarket.

10 months later
#3824 3 years ago
Quoted from chaz009:

I just noticed my spider ramp has broken at the bolt next the boney beast entrance (see photo). Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this without having to replace the ramp?
The ramp works fine, functionally works great. But if I hit the ball up that ramp with some good speed, I will notice some movement in it. Will it likely break more? Should I worry about this? How involved is replacing this ramp? I’ve only had the game for a few weeks (might have even broke when transporting it).
Any advice would be appreciated!
[quoted image]

Lexan washers are the easy fix. A better fix is to cut out and shape a peice of Lexan and pop rivet into place. Here is a photo of that type of repair on another ramp. I use a demel to shape the Lexan and then drill 1/8" holes on both sides of the patch and ramp (these are for the pop rivets). Drill a larger hole in the patch for the ramp mounting screw and your done.

20210123_102033 (resized).jpg20210123_102033 (resized).jpg
9 months later
#3944 2 years ago
Quoted from Albery:

Hi, does anyone know where I can get this solder board for the Scared Stiff. It's the board that lights up the Leaper 3, Jackpot, Spin Spider.
The part number shows:
5768-14901-00
A-21288
I've search this part number and can't find one anyone. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!!!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Why do you need one? Those are super easy to fix if there is a problem. Usually they just need the solder re-flowed and you are good to go.

10 months later
#4013 1 year ago
Quoted from billsgto:

I'm going to get LED flashers to replace the originals in the crystal balls that go around the ramps. The white is too bright for me, has anyone bought yellow LED flashers and are you happy with them?

Are you talking about the flashers with the red lenses? Why not use red LEDs? That’s what I use.

1 week later
#4016 1 year ago
Quoted from billsgto:

I keep getting too many random multiball/balls kicked out during gameplay. Has anyone else had this issue or know what may be causing the problem?

An opto in the trough is bad or there is an extra ball in the game. Switch test should point you to the culprit.

3 months later
#4110 12 months ago
Quoted from beltking:

I think I like just the figure without the base and add the wings. Going to create a wood base with holes for her pegs and do skull candle holders on each side maybe.
[quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

Why does Elvira have wings? This sculpt is done well but always confused me. Elvira isn't a vampire.

3 weeks later
#4130 11 months ago
Quoted from GKW:

After turning on the machine, the coffin door will open and the game resets. I disconnected the coffin assembly coil plug and the game will boot. Going through the test menu and testing coils, the first test, auto-plunger, when actuated, causes the game to reset. Unplugged auto-plunger (coffin still unplugged) and went through coil test. When reaching Center Jet, it caused the game to reset. Disconnected center jet (along with previously mentioned coffin and autoplunger) and all of the remaining coils will fire in test mode.
This is not a board issue, as I have swapped out driver boards and get the same results. Chances of this being present on two boards, one being newly unpackaged, is highly unlikely.
Any ideas?

Most resets are caused by two things. A drop in 5 volt power from a failing driver board or flaky pins. Sounds like you have a pin issue. Any connections look toasty? They might just be fatigued too. I would replace anything that looks suspicious.

3 months later
#4184 7 months ago
Quoted from HangGlider2:

That makes sense, but another concern is what are they doing to the Invisa-glass over time. Mabe I worry about things too much??? lol

Isn't that product only coated on one side? I think it is. I also think the coated side is the topside. That's why you need to use ammonia free products when cleaning your glass. Let the leapers fly as designed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 249.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

£ 49.00
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

£ 38.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mad_dog_coin_op.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-clubmembers-only?tu=mad_dog_coin_op and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.