909DC566-BA18-4A7B-948B-A2812A966538 (resized).jpeg
609C131B-B6E8-4B42-8AA0-225FC367851B (resized).jpeg
6E875811-9FBF-4B9F-BAB8-8010367C0AC5 (resized).jpeg
20231003_155922 (resized).jpg
20231003_155902 (resized).jpg
20231003_155906 (resized).jpg
20231003_155847 (resized).jpg
20231003_155855 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1774 8 years ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

Thanks for this club guys. I'm jumping on for the first time to pose a question I can't solve on my SS. On a feature light board (pictured below) one light works normally and the other three burn way too brightly and stay on. I'm stumped, and I can't find any replacement board. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem are appreciated.SS board 1.JPG SS board 2.JPG

Problem wouldn't be on the board, other than the diodes. With the bulbs out like that, check them. If they're bad, replace them. Likely, though, problem is off-board somewhere.

#1776 8 years ago

Do they light up even when the game is in test mode?

Go into test mode, and see if:
(1) The lights light up in individual light mode (and one of them is NOT selected to flash.), and
(2) How the lights react in Light Row/Column test.

I'm guessing that the answer to (1) will be that they're on, even with all other controlled lamps off (i.e. Boot-up mode of the game).. If I'm right, there's a wiring issue or a transistor is grounded..

--Me.

3 weeks later
#1780 8 years ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

Finally got back to my SS after finishing off some other pin projects. Looked at the lights in game test mode as suggested above and found that three of the lights--right leaper, right ramp jackpot, and light spin spider--all light up when they should not when I test the lights in the adjacent columns in the switch matrix (i.e., right leaper lights when three bank middle or skill shot, in the adjacent columns, are tested, etc). This led me to look at the Q95 transistor on the power driver board and that transistor is clearly silver while the others around it are not (I seem to remember something from another thread about the color changing in a transistor when it goes bad). So my next step will be to replace that transistor to see if it corrects the problem, and if the transistor goes bad again then I'll check the associated connector (J121) at the board and wiring level. Thanks again, Coyote, for the tip!

Good! Let me know how it goes!

2 months later
#1835 8 years ago
Quoted from sublime90803:

Hey owners, can anyone let me know what the story is with the left apron kickback? I've only seen 2 real ones and they are both missing the solonoid assembly under the apron.
Does anyone know if this was cut across the board for cost reasons, or what the story was?
Thanks.

Samples had a coil there, was cut for cost reasons. The 'kickback' was handled in the software, instead.

#1837 8 years ago
Quoted from sublime90803:

Thanks Coyote, that's what I figured.

I remember playing a sample down in the showroom of Greater Southern, and having it actually kick back.

#1840 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

So, my apron has the kickback hole... does every SS's original apron also have it?

I believe so. I also wouldn't be surprised that if your added the wiring and coil, it would still fire. However, without a SS to test on, it's all assumption.

A way to test, I believe, is to trick the game with the glass off. Ensure "Saved By The Spell" is lit, then double-TAP the outlane switch. (First activation is ball rolling down, second would be ball getting kicked back. If the game does not serve another ball from the trough, then at least the firmware knows how to handle a game with the coil installed, and *boom* .. Easy mod!

#1842 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I believe the problem is that that the software would still launch a save ball into the shooter lane, giving you an unintentional two ball multiball.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about that. I may try loading up the FW in VP and messing with the switches. Now I'm just curious..

#1848 8 years ago

Good to see and know then! I have it filed away if I ever become an SS owner.

8 months later
#2053 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

What's is the purpose of these bolts?

Look on the underside of the playfield, and see what's screwed into them.

5 months later
#2140 7 years ago

Good to see you landed one!

#2150 7 years ago

What did you get with it?

Quoted from bigd1979:

Bought a package deal so hard to really say but it was the best price ive found on one sin6 ive been looking for 4 months.... and the nicest. Also a partially restored eatpm which will go beside ss

#2162 7 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Hey bigd,
Do you know about the 3? When the spider in the head starts to spin, watch the left side of the DMD where spiders crawl up a web. Rarely, instead of a spider, the numeral 3 crawls up the web. If you hit the Start button three times before the 3 disappears, you are awarded an extra Spider Award. Apparently the software writer was born on the third of the month, thus the 3.
Alan

Probably related to The Getaway: High Speed II 's "three-cop-car at the donut shop" easter egg. There's another game with a three reference, but at the moment I'm drawing a blank.

1 month later
#2260 7 years ago

They need to be cleaned somethin' fierce!

1 week later
#2294 7 years ago

Get a LedOCD - it'll fix that right up. (Will remove the pulsing that's creating the hum..)

3 months later
#2425 6 years ago

Also check ribbon cable..!

#2427 6 years ago

Huh. Do the right sounds play in test mode?

#2433 6 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

i removed the pinnovator board for fun, but music was still all over the place. i could put the sound roms on my CV a/v board and test with that, but it would be a pita and could potentially make things worse.

Take CV ribbon cables to SS, and see what happens? To me, it still sounds like it's an addressing issue. For some reason, the AV board in SS is getting incorrect calls. Bad ribbons, cold solder joint on ribbon headers, interference from something else (spider motor?)

2 months later
#2497 6 years ago

Coin doors should be *black*.

#2507 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Found these pics on the web.... Guess they are from a proto PF....

Yeah, I believe it was at the York show last year.

1 month later
#2527 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Hidden ROM text:

Knowing Cameron, there IS a way to get this lyric to display.. And eventually, it'll be found.

3 months later
#2645 6 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

One other question. The “cast a spell” stand up targets on the left. What do they do when you complete them?

I THINK (and I'm likely wrong) that it lights the left outlane 'kickback'.

1 month later
#2730 6 years ago

Re: Ribbon Cable - that's just a magnet, to help reduce EMI

#2735 6 years ago

Okay, I don't have a Scared Stiff, so I'm just basing off of what's in the manual.

That coil has a Power/Hold.
If it's not 'holding' open, then there's something wrong with your Hold winding, OR, the return spring is too strong and overpowering the hold winding.

You should be able to test it in the Coil test - though in that case, the coil will be pulsed, so you *may* need to have your fingers on the diverter to feel it 'try' to move. If you trust yourself, yo ucan ground the hold winding to keep it 'on', and examine the mechanism, see if it's strong enough for the spring, etc. (But careful, if the winding isn't good, then you may blow your fuse or overheat the coil.)

Good luck!

4 months later
#3012 5 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

What's a good LED to use for the red globes? Also, what is recommended to use to replace the bulb under the boney beast skull? (the one that flares on when you hit the ramp) About to make an order with Cointaker soon.

Do NOT use LEDs on these - you will lose the whole cool 'fading' effect that the lamp effects give off!

1 year later
#3393 4 years ago
Quoted from Cherries_Jubilee:

the Mirroring is shown in GREY

And the photos were all taken over a grey snow background. That.. doesn't help.

2 months later
#3537 4 years ago
Quoted from Ratiganpin:

the previous owner had put some great little birthday messages for himself and his family that appear on the DMD on start up on or after the given dates, so I would like to delete these and make some of my own if possible.

Grab a picture.
A factory reset would have cleared this off. You can set it in Service Menu -> Utilities -> Set Custom Message.

If the "Set Custom Message" is blank - i.e. the messages aren't listed there - then go into Tests -> Dipswitch Test and hit the Start button. When you do, a 4-letter/number code will appear on the screen. Write it down. Likely in this case, the previous owner made themselves a custom ROM image and hard-coded the message in there. (No, you can not do this with a simple "hook a PC up" method.)

#3540 4 years ago
Quoted from wayinla:

You’re probably seeing the birthdays the developers put in. These will come up on the dates when your power up the pin. They’re like an Easter Egg so they can’t be erased.

Ah, I forgot about this - and if you have NVRAM installed, you will continue to see them until the game is powered on until the day rolls over.

#3542 4 years ago
Quoted from Ratiganpin:

That would make sense, as they are nicer looking messages than just basically entered digits.
So I take it's the same messages on all Scared stiff machines? The message I saw today was a HAPPY BIRTHDAY EEDIE (something like that) and also had 1/5 displayed next to it.
Cheers to both Coyote and Wayinla for the help.

Yeah - it's burnt into the ROM. An Easter Egg - like all the flipper codes that WPC games have. It'll be gone tomorrow (again, assuming you do NOT have an NVRAM installed..)

2 weeks later
#3562 4 years ago
Quoted from visi0n:

My games are relegated to the dungeon basement space beneath my office. I do an okay job of keeping dust down but I've still been wanting to find some theme-adjusted pinball covers on the cheap.
The Elvira one is probably my favorite. If I know I'm not going to get to play for a couple days, I throw em on.
Found it on redbubble.com, searched for Tapestry Elvira Coffin and this is the small size. I didn't find many with direct art from related pinball but found a few that were theme-adjacent enough to make it work. Not my art or anything just thought I'd share.
Know of any comprehensive sources with pinball art /covers available online? I've seen them tucked away at shows and a few generics at the usual parts suppliers..[quoted image]

I am, honestly, really more curious where you got that Indiana Jones one..?

3 months later
#3613 3 years ago
Quoted from Ratiganpin:

This is also followed by the ball plunger firing 5 times.

Switch matrix issue. What are you getting in Switch Test?

#3624 3 years ago

The door switches (NOT slam tilt) are DIRECT SWITCHES. The fact that you're having issues with a Switch Matrix AND direct switches makes me think that either you have a nasty short somewhere, OR, you have some damage on your MPU.

Try disconnecting all your switch harnesses, and power the game on, see what happens.

#3627 3 years ago
Quoted from Ratiganpin:

I'm looking at the manual, am I correct in thinking that J206 is the plug that does all the switches throughout the game, and the only one I need to remove?

Had to pull up the manual, but J205 is dedicated switches (Up, Down, Esc, Enter, Coin 1-4), and J208 is switch matrix Rows (White/xx) and J206 is Switch Matrix columns. (Green/xx)

#3632 3 years ago
Quoted from Ratiganpin:

Thanks for that. So when I try this out, am I correct in saying if I remove all 3 connectors mentioned, start up, and the problem persists, its a problem with the CPU board in the backbox?
Where as if the problem is gone, replace one of the connectors at a time and start up until the problem returns, and that connector will be the one that has the problem somewhere along its line?
Thanks again.

Yup, exactly! You got this!

#3634 3 years ago

So the issue is on the MPU board. Whether you buy new or repair is up to you. Without seeing and inspecting the board, no way to be sure.

For your question - if you buy a replacement board, it's plug-and play, though you WILL have to swap over 1, 2 or 3 chips from your old board to the new one. (Number varies on the seller and what they include with the new board.)

1 month later
#3652 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Did Bally actually make one? I thought they were all aftermarket.

All aftermarket, AFAIK.

4 months later
#3677 3 years ago
Quoted from BasementFacts:

Just scored an incandescent Scared Stiff so those need to go first. Do I need non-ghosting LED for ALL lamps on the PF since GI is controlled as well?

You need non-ghosing for the inserts. Non-ghosting won't do a thing for GI. Though with the effects - both insert AND GI - I would strongly recommend an LEDOCD & GIOCD mod.

7 months later
#3854 2 years ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

Also, even if I unhook the flat panel two-pinned sensor from the board, the LED light on the eddy sensor board stays on, so I'm still puzzled

This is completely expected.
A ball passing over the sensor changes impedance for it to be 'out of' range of the expectation, so it activated the switch/LED.
Unplugging the loop board will do the exact same thing.

#3856 2 years ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

I have tried two different boards

I saw you mention this before - which board(s) were different? Two different driver (board with the pot and LED) and loop boards? Or did you only change the driver only? Did you try adjusting the pot with the loop board not mounted on the playfield?

1. It's possible the loop board is shorted, or bad,
2. It's possible that like someone else mentioned, that something (metal) is interfering with the loop board.
3. It's possible that the cable connecting the two is picking up interference or not making a solid connection.

For #3, for example, it's a common fix in TZ to hard-solder the connecting cable, as interference, iffy, and loose connections to the plug can cause bad inductance readings.

#3858 2 years ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

Thanks for the detailed reply. I have replaced both the driver board and the loop board, and I have tried adjusting the pot without the loop board mounted to the PF. But I'll keep troubleshooting with what you said in mind. I may try the hard-soldering route as well.

Okay - some things to keep in mind: (And I only bring this up because in the past, I've had to deal with this in my career. You know those squares or circles you see on the roadway in front of traffic signals? Some railroads use them as well. Yeah, same detection technology here.) I'm not saying that these would be enough to set off the board here in SS, but it's issues I've run into before -

Depending on the sensitivity, some things you think may not interfere can cause issues - including a person's fingers simply holding the loop board. A dirty board, or a scraped solder mask (green coating on the board) can cause issues.

I am ALSO assuming that the LED is a sensor LED and not a +12v or +5v indicator LED. I don't have this game in my collection now, and I don't remember having to ever mess with the board, but the manual says that the LED is representing the output and not voltage present. If you have a 3rd party board, though, I would double-check.

The cable connecting the two will be BEST if the two conductors are twisted and not loose. Help minimize noise.

The cable connecting the loop board with the driver board has no polarity. (Because the 'loop' board is just that, a loop.)

Honestly, I would check your cable connecting the two boards - likely there is a loose/intermittent connection on the IDC connectors.

1 month later
#3870 2 years ago
Quoted from MadMaxDad:

Can’t believe distributors used to have complete assemblies like this on the shelf.

Because while we 'home' collectors are upset when little things break, back in the day when operators were the main reason Pins existed distributors had to stock up on components that broke easily. A day down is a day's worth of earnings lost.

1 year later
#4090 1 year ago
Quoted from GKW:

Where is this used in the machine?
Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV), 130 Volt ~
I see it listed in a few of the online pinball stores, game-specific to Scared Stiff.
[quoted image]

In the power cage, down by the service outlet/power switch.

#4093 1 year ago
Quoted from GKW:

Would you happen to have a picture?

Sadly I don't - I'm going from 100% memory here, sorry.

1 month later
#4142 11 months ago
Quoted from GKW:

I disconnected every mod and I get the exact same results. Now, the voltage is low, because the coils that do work are firing very softly.

Have you measured any of the voltages? +50, +12r/ur, and +5?

10 months later
#4223 28 days ago
Quoted from Leonardogit:

I got the spider multiball tonight
[quoted image]

Every single time I play this game - this is my end goal. Not the 'Scared Stiff' wizard mode, but the Spider Multiball. I rarely am able to manage it. Well done!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 38.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

£ 37.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 249.00
£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-clubmembers-only?tu=coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.