909DC566-BA18-4A7B-948B-A2812A966538 (resized).jpeg
609C131B-B6E8-4B42-8AA0-225FC367851B (resized).jpeg
6E875811-9FBF-4B9F-BAB8-8010367C0AC5 (resized).jpeg
20231003_155922 (resized).jpg
20231003_155902 (resized).jpg
20231003_155906 (resized).jpg
20231003_155847 (resized).jpg
20231003_155855 (resized).jpg
There are 4,231 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 85.
#4001 1 year ago

Chalk paint. Did it to all of my bones too. Just brush it on and use a wet cloth to wipe down how you see fit on darkness. Once satisfied, let it dry and reassemble.

77564269-8AE5-42BE-8EC7-8DA13A1732C4 (resized).jpeg77564269-8AE5-42BE-8EC7-8DA13A1732C4 (resized).jpegA06F91DF-4A5E-47CE-A3C5-2FEB8EBC5906 (resized).jpegA06F91DF-4A5E-47CE-A3C5-2FEB8EBC5906 (resized).jpeg
#4002 1 year ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Chalk paint. Did it to all of my bones too. Just brush it on and use a wet cloth to wipe down how you see fit on darkness. Once satisfied, let it dry and reassemble.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, that finish looks awesome

#4003 1 year ago

Thank you. My favorite game of all time. She deserves special attention. Ha ha.

1 week later
#4004 1 year ago

I just picked up a Scared Stiff machine today and the spider motor works in test but not in the game. I've reseated all the connections but no luck. Has anyone else had this issue and know what to check next?
Thanks

#4005 1 year ago
Quoted from billsgto:

I just picked up a Scared Stiff machine today and the spider motor works in test but not in the game. I've reseated all the connections but no luck. Has anyone else had this issue and know what to check next?
Thanks

Is it turned on in the settings?

#4006 1 year ago

Following -- my spider will work for a few games after booting up, then stop working. Rinse, repeat.

#4007 1 year ago
Quoted from Pbgixxer:

Is it turned on in the settings?

I verified it is turned on in the settings. It works in test and attract mode so I'm thinking it must be somewhere between the opto in the spider hole (which I confirmed the wires are connected) and the boards.

#4008 1 year ago

My spider is also hit or miss. The problem is, when it fails, it fails during a spider spin, and instead of flipping to the lit inserts automatically, it ends the spider spin and kicks the ball out. So, a player will immediately lose one spider spin, which can be a PITA if you have a tight game going. So, I turned it off until I have time to rebuild the whole machine. Then, I'll work on debugging it.
Just about to start working on the cabinet. I have a spare Creature cab and head that will get sanded down for new SS decals. Then, I'll work on the playfield swap.

#4009 1 year ago
Quoted from billsgto:

spider motor works in test but not in the game.

Just a thought, perhaps the mini Allen set screw on the little nut holding the spider on the motor spindle got a bit loose? Might cause some intermittent issues if motor spins too fast.

Another thought, could one of the spider legs be bent too close to the backbox art and catching on something or binding...

#4010 1 year ago
Quoted from Dr-Tommy:

Just a thought, perhaps the mini Allen set screw on the little nut holding the spider on the motor spindle got a bit loose? Might cause some intermittent issues if motor spins too fast.
Another thought, could one of the spider legs be bent too close to the backbox art and catching on something or binding...

Negative. Already tried this.

#4011 1 year ago

Hmm. Also on mine, the opto in the spider hole crapped out a few years back. Changed both emitter and receiver in there, no issues since.

Or it may just be the motor itself showing its age, hope that you can get to the bottom of it.

1 week later
#4012 1 year ago
Quoted from billsgto:

Thanks

So I ordered a new stepper board and motor from Nitro Pinball and the spider is now working 100% all of the time in case anyone else runs into this situation.

I'm going to get LED flashers to replace the originals in the crystal balls that go around the ramps. The white is too bright for me, has anyone bought yellow LED flashers and are you happy with them?

#4013 1 year ago
Quoted from billsgto:

I'm going to get LED flashers to replace the originals in the crystal balls that go around the ramps. The white is too bright for me, has anyone bought yellow LED flashers and are you happy with them?

Are you talking about the flashers with the red lenses? Why not use red LEDs? That’s what I use.

#4014 1 year ago
Quoted from billsgto:

I'm going to get LED flashers

There was a bit of discussion years back in this thread about replacing the flashers with leds. One disadvantage is that the lightshows during the game play use a lot of smooth fading with the flashers (e.g. Waking the stiff in the coffin for 3 ball multiball). Switching to led flashers will ruin a lot of that nice light ramping.

To each his own, but I ledded my SS but kept incandescent flashers.

Herg sells led boards that translate the voltage ramp signals into the right led controls to get the incandescent look out of the leds. I have that installed and notice a huge improvement!

1 week later
#4015 1 year ago

I keep getting too many random multiball/balls kicked out during gameplay. Has anyone else had this issue or know what may be causing the problem?

#4016 1 year ago
Quoted from billsgto:

I keep getting too many random multiball/balls kicked out during gameplay. Has anyone else had this issue or know what may be causing the problem?

An opto in the trough is bad or there is an extra ball in the game. Switch test should point you to the culprit.

2 weeks later
#4017 1 year ago

I am looking for a schematic for the back box lamp door. I am putting a basket case back together and I am trying to determine, specifically, the flasher wiring and each flasher connector.

#4018 1 year ago
Quoted from GKW:

I am looking for a schematic for the back box lamp door. I am putting a basket case back together and I am trying to determine, specifically, the flasher wiring and each flasher connector.

Don't you have the manual ?

#4019 1 year ago
Quoted from GKW:

You can download the manual here.

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3915

#4020 1 year ago
Quoted from Marco1973:

Don't you have the manual ?

Sorry, I mean: maybe you don't know some informations are listed into the manual, or you need some informations not listed there ?

#4021 1 year ago
Quoted from Marco1973:

Sorry, I mean: maybe you don't know some informations are listed into the manual, or you need some informations not listed there ?

The information that I am looking for is not in the manual. I have been through every schematic in the manual and there is nothing specifically for the back box lamp door, unless I somehow missed it. I saw nothing for the flashers: wire codes and connectors. Yes, I looked at the chart with the flashers and it didn't show anything that was helpful. Maybe if someone could take a picture of the flashers (for wire color) and their associated connectors (where do they connect)? Thanks!

#4022 1 year ago
Quoted from GKW:

The information that I am looking for is not in the manual. I have been through every schematic in the manual and there is nothing specifically for the back box lamp door, unless I somehow missed it. I saw nothing for the flashers: wire codes and connectors. Yes, I looked at the chart with the flashers and it didn't show anything that was helpful. Maybe if someone could take a picture of the flashers (for wire color) and their associated connectors (where do they connect)? Thanks!

I was exactly suggesting some pictures. Now I'm at work here in Italy. In some hours I will be at home and post here some pics of the wires you are asking.

#4023 1 year ago
Quoted from Marco1973:

I was exactly suggesting some pictures. Now I'm at work here in Italy. In some hours I will be at home and post here some pics of the wires you are asking.

If you need something more....ask

DSC_0003 (3) (resized).JPGDSC_0003 (3) (resized).JPG
#4024 1 year ago

I believe that I have found one of my problems. It appears that I may be missing a connector, which goes to J134 (BB flasher). That would be where one of the red/white wires from the flasher to the right of the board is supposed to go. My wiring harness is missing the red/white wire, but I do see where it was cut off from the flasher.
So, now I know where one of those red/white wires goes (J134 connector), but what does the other one connect to? There are 2 wires coming off of the flasher.
Thank you for the picture!

20230118_170214 (resized).jpg20230118_170214 (resized).jpg
#4025 1 year ago
Quoted from GKW:

So, now I know where one of those red/white wires goes (J134 connector), but what does the other one connect to? There are 2 wires coming off of the flasher.

ss.jpgss.jpg

Check the wire color here. It's short and difficult to see with any clarity in your image. It could be this.

j112.jpgj112.jpg

#4026 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

[quoted image]
Check the wire color here. It's short and difficult to see with any clarity in your image. It could be this.
[quoted image]

I apologize, but what I meant to say is that there are 3 wires coming off of the flasher. Two of them are red/white and one is black/orange. I have already traced the black/orange wire back to its connector, so no issues there. I only want to know where the other red/white wire is going, because I know that one is supposed to be going to connector J134; a wire/connector that I am missing.

#4027 1 year ago
Quoted from GKW:

I only want to know where the other red/white wire is going, because I know that one is supposed to be going to connector J134; a wire/connector that I am missing.

It's the power (voltage) to the flashers. It goes to J134-5. The RED-WHT wires are connected in parallel (daisy chained). There are two cut RED-WHT wires on that #89 socket. That's the daisy chain.

#4028 1 year ago

Would you happen to have some pictures?

#4029 1 year ago
Quoted from GKW:

Would you happen to have some pictures?

Here are the pictures that shows the entire path of all the cables of the backbox.

IMG_20230119_163614 (resized).jpgIMG_20230119_163614 (resized).jpgIMG_20230119_163637 (resized).jpgIMG_20230119_163637 (resized).jpgIMG_20230119_163658 (resized).jpgIMG_20230119_163658 (resized).jpgIMG_20230119_163706 (resized).jpgIMG_20230119_163706 (resized).jpgIMG_20230119_163715 (resized).jpgIMG_20230119_163715 (resized).jpgIMG_20230119_163727 (resized).jpgIMG_20230119_163727 (resized).jpgIMG_20230119_163736 (resized).jpgIMG_20230119_163736 (resized).jpgIMG_20230119_163755 (resized).jpgIMG_20230119_163755 (resized).jpgIMG_20230119_163808 (resized).jpgIMG_20230119_163808 (resized).jpg
#4030 1 year ago

Thank you very much for the pictures!
From what I gather in the first picture, on the flasher at the top right of the board, it is daisy-chained to the lower right flasher (red/white wire).
It appears that these are the only two flashers that are daisy-chained, correct?
I understand the rest of the wiring and that is what I have.

#4031 1 year ago
Quoted from GKW:

From what I gather in the first picture, on the flasher at the top right of the board, it is daisy-chained to the lower right flasher (red/white wire).
It appears that these are the only two flashers that are daisy-chained, correct?

I'm out of home till sunday. Wait please till I'm home back again.

#4032 1 year ago
Quoted from GKW:

You mean this?

stiff_flasher_insert_wiring.jpgstiff_flasher_insert_wiring.jpg

It shows the wiring (connections) and wire colors. The RED-WHT is the voltage (supply) and wired in parallel (daisy-chained). The BLU-XXX and BLK-XXX wires are the drive wires.

Quoted from GKW:

I see four #89 bulb sockets in one of those images. All the #89 bulb sockets have two lugs. One lug is the daisy-chained RED-WHT wire. The other lug is the drive wire. There is a single supply wire with FOUR connection points. There are four drive wires (BLU-RED, BLK-BRN, BLK-RED and BLK-ORG) with one connection point.

#4033 1 year ago
Quoted from GKW:

I believe the red/white wire supplies power to all 4 of the flashers on the backboard and are all daisychained together. The other colored wire to each flasher is the trigger wire from the driver board. Note 3 of the backboard flashers trigger in conjunction with the pop bumper flashers. The flasher for the TV has a stand alone trigger wire.

1492A516-CD93-43C5-A626-5AF8866A54D7 (resized).jpeg1492A516-CD93-43C5-A626-5AF8866A54D7 (resized).jpeg
#4034 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

You mean this?

Yes! That's it.

Quoted from DumbAss:

I see four #89 bulb sockets in one of those images. All the #89 bulb sockets have two lugs. One lug is the daisy-chained RED-WHT wire. The other lug is the drive wire. There is a single supply wire with FOUR connection points. There are four drive wires (BLU-RED, BLK-BRN, BLK-RED and BLK-ORG) with one connection point.

Yes, this is the information that I have been looking for.

Quoted from freegame450:

I believe the red/white wire supplies power to all 4 of the flashers on the backboard and are all daisychained together.

Thank you for the picture and the information. I couldn't see the wiring from the previous pictures, so this helps a great deal.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post!

1 week later
#4035 1 year ago

I've run into a couple of more issues:
- I need a close up picture of the flipper bases for correct wiring and wire color
- When I install the spider on the back box lamp door, do I just stick it on? How does it install (what holds it in place?) and is there some sort of alignment mark?

Thanks!

#4036 1 year ago
Quoted from GKW:

I've run into a couple of more issues:
- I need a close up picture of the flipper bases for correct wiring and wire color
- When I install the spider on the back box lamp door, do I just stick it on? How does it install (what holds it in place?) and is there some sort of alignment mark?
Thanks!

The spider has or should have a small Allen screw that you tighten on the shaft of the motor. When you turn game on the spider should spin & stop at 1 O’Clock. If not adjust accordingly. Here are some pics of the left flipper wiring.

2C966E48-02A2-426D-B1C2-2D9D84924427.jpeg2C966E48-02A2-426D-B1C2-2D9D84924427.jpeg76C37E02-1FD5-44DA-92D5-914EF88CC960 (resized).jpeg76C37E02-1FD5-44DA-92D5-914EF88CC960 (resized).jpegADB85B12-BD4F-4B66-AB71-A7E6E22B0E2A (resized).jpegADB85B12-BD4F-4B66-AB71-A7E6E22B0E2A (resized).jpeg
#4037 1 year ago

Thank you for the information and the pictures.
Would you take some pictures of the EOS wiring, when you are able?
Thank you very much!

#4038 1 year ago
Quoted from GKW:

Thank you very much!

I marked up photo I sent for EOS. I am not near the game now.

716B4B15-3F67-4411-8566-CD1C48F51A34 (resized).jpeg716B4B15-3F67-4411-8566-CD1C48F51A34 (resized).jpeg
#4039 1 year ago

All day I’ve been getting “happy birthday Damien” when I power on my game

What is this?

#4040 1 year ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

All day I’ve been getting “happy birthday Damien” when I power on my game
What is this?

This will happen about 6 times a yr. I think it is documented on the forum.

#4041 1 year ago
Quoted from GKW:

Thank you very much!

Here your Pic.
It is the same on which side of the EOS you sold the cables. Important is only orange and brown(Yellow) cables are together on one side.

IMG_20230204_101428 (resized).jpgIMG_20230204_101428 (resized).jpg
#4042 1 year ago

Question about the rules, hopefully ok for this "members only" thread? Honorary member??

Was playing in league format today and all tales were lit except for Coffin. I locked the third ball and never got the multiball... it went straight to "shoot the crate" to get scared stiff.

Is that typical? I usually get the coffin early on, so maybe I just never encountered this quirk before.

#4043 1 year ago
Quoted from HowardHurtz:

Question about the rules, hopefully ok for this "members only" thread? Honorary member??

All are welcome!

elvira beer (resized).jpgelvira beer (resized).jpg
#4044 1 year ago

Hello, Just changed out the spider hole coil, sleeve,spring& plunger. Started game & everything was fine. The VUK works good. Sometimes it will fall back down but the last time it went great 5 times in a row. Anyway, the spider itself was working good & now during ball 3 it stopped spinning altogether, when the light was on. Although the game says hit the flippers. I didn’t touch anything else like opto’s or anything. Could be a coincidence or not. Any ideas would be great what to look for. Thanks, John

#4045 1 year ago

More info on spider: Just turned game back on & spider wheel reset to 1 o’clock as it always does. Now when it’s lit & I put a ball in there the game just says Look Up, does not say stop the spider anymore. The lights on the wheel do go around like it’s spinning & then hit the flipper to select a light. So that works but spider still doesn’t spin. I’m thinking one of the opto’s in the spider trough??? to tell it to spin??? Not sure but game has been fine until I changed coil & stuff. Help!

#4046 1 year ago

Another update: When I spin Spider by hand it seems smooth but then halfway around it feels real chunky like it’s binding up. Bad Motor? J

#4047 1 year ago

Update again, Replaced motor I had from Marco, all working now. I guess this was a coincidence. The old one may have been original, found mounting screws for board & steel plate missing. Had to reverse molex idc connector to make it run clockwise. After I got old motor out I couldn’t turn shaft at all by hand. So good to go now.

#4048 1 year ago
Quoted from HowardHurtz:

Was playing in league format today and all tales were lit except for Coffin. I locked the third ball and never got the multiball... it went straight to "shoot the crate" to get scared stiff.

Yeah, I've seen this bug and reported it to Soren as a possible fix. I think it's a race condition that can happen when the last tale is a multiball. I've seen it happen with crate on mine.

#4049 1 year ago

Anyone's interested, I have a Scared Stiff completely restored for sale. See my ad under Elviras ( might be under EHOH- probably should separate them) Trilogy up for sale. Or DM me.

#4050 1 year ago

https://www.amazon.com/11-Piece-Magnetic-Release-Premium-Compatible/dp/B086RH936F/ref=sr_1_29

This set is great for pinball, just did new spider wheel motor & the 1/16” Allen screw to tighten spider wheel. These are 1/4” drive so they fit any 1/4” nut driver or extension socket to make it longer so you can reach the spider wheel screw. Also sizes in there for flipper stops etc. Great price too. J

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 249.00
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
£ 39.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Boards
PinSound

£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

£ 49.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,231 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 85.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-clubmembers-only/page/81 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.