909DC566-BA18-4A7B-948B-A2812A966538 (resized).jpeg
609C131B-B6E8-4B42-8AA0-225FC367851B (resized).jpeg
6E875811-9FBF-4B9F-BAB8-8010367C0AC5 (resized).jpeg
20231003_155922 (resized).jpg
20231003_155902 (resized).jpg
20231003_155906 (resized).jpg
20231003_155847 (resized).jpg
20231003_155855 (resized).jpg
There are 4,230 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 85.
#3801 3 years ago

Thanks for all the help. I ran out of time yesterday but going to take a look today when I get home from work.

#3802 3 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

It does not give me the award its pointing at but the one that lites up.

Ok, so the next question: is it consistent? Does it award the same wrong award when stopping at the same place, or is the spider arrow drifting?
If not, then I would look at the opto blocker, and then the opto board. If the lip is broken, it could be activating early or late.
If that looks good, look at the board. Specifically the opto. Finally, if the stepper is messed up, it could be dragging or something. But I would expect to see the arrow drifting in comparison to what is actually awarded if it was a stepper issue.
I suppose that someone could have replaced the stepper with a motor with the wrong step angle, but I would expect the board to error out after a spin or two, since the opto blocking point would change in relationship to the expected number of steps.

#3803 3 years ago

I took everything apart and cleaned and the opto and made sure that the spider was put pack on and tightened properly. Same results but I realized that my spider spins counter clockwise instead of clockwise. Any ideas why it would do that? If I land on the same spot it does give a consistent wrong award btw.

#3804 3 years ago

So I flipped the connector that plugs into the opto board and that corrected my problem of the spider spinning counter clockwise and it lands in the correct spot now, so it was an easy fix but I wound up removing the spider and all although I did get it all cleaned up in the process. I would never think the connector would be backwards. Thanks for everybody's help.

#3805 3 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

but I realized that my spider spins counter clockwise instead of clockwise.

Ah! The crucial bit of missing data! Glad to hear it is working!

#3806 3 years ago

Anyone know why my machine will go into multi ball right away(my interruption of what’s happening) when a game is started? It starts spitting out balls and I can hear a solenoid firing over and over again. It only does it when it’s been sitting for awhile. I had a local pinball expert look at it. He checked all the optics where the balls are. Some were not aligned properly. He fixed that. But it will still does this occasionally.

#3807 3 years ago

If it only happens when "cold," i would look at the solder points on the opto boards of the trough assembly first. If you can, swap them out for a while.

#3808 3 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

If it only happens when "cold," i would look at the solder points on the opto boards of the trough assembly first. If you can, swap them out for a while.

The pinball expert resoldered the optics and aligned them.

After a closer looks. It appears to go into crate multi ball right away if you hit the crate on the skill shot. It only does this after the Machine has been sitting off for awhile. Also one time a checksum error popped up. No other errors show up. In test everything works fine. Also put it in test when it happened to see if optics were working. They were good.

#3809 3 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

It appears to go into crate multi ball right away if you hit the crate on the skill shot.

What version of the ROM are you running?

#3810 3 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

What version of the ROM are you running?

#3811 3 years ago

Hmm. The only thing I can think is that the crate switch is registering a lot of hits and then kicking off a multiball. But it would need at least two switches to be going nuts, right? The magnetic one in front of the crate and the one inside the crate?

#3812 3 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Hmm. The only thing I can think is that the crate switch is registering a lot of hits and then kicking off a multiball. But it would need at least two switches to be going nuts, right? The magnetic one in front of the crate and the one inside the crate?

Tonight I tried it again. The machine flashed off and on twice right after I started a game. All the lights and DMD shut off for a second and then turned back on twice. Then the machine functioned normally after that.

#3813 3 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

o I flipped the connector that plugs into the opto board and that corrected my problem of the spider spinning counter clockwise

Interesting coincidence. I replaced the batteries this morning, and reset everything. When I played a test game, on one spider spin, it went backwards and stopped on the wrong place(though, I suspect if I counted the steps, it would have been correct for the clockwise number of steps). Never seen this behavior, and it seemed to be fine before and after this spin.

#3814 3 years ago

That’s strange, does it continue to happen or did it just happened that one time?

#3815 3 years ago

I've seen it spin backwards on a power up test once, too.
I ended up turning it off for now.

#3816 3 years ago

Is there an easy way to prevent the ball from getting stuck on top of the sling beside the left ramp? This has happened to me a handleful of times during multi ball.

Also, side question, I’ve always wondered why Eliva’s comment “Where’s the cheese?” for the cheesehead dead head is funny? I don’t get it.

1 week later
#3817 3 years ago

hi everybody
just got a Scared Stiff in january! having tons of fun with it...

one question though, my crate kick-out was a bit bent out of shape and i'm not quite sure where it's supposed to shoot the ball, right now it's hitting the side of the lab bumper (so you always receive a lab hit). checked through the gallery but could find a close-up picture. should it be nicely aligned with the back of the left crate hole? is it supposed to award a lab hit?

cheers

1 week later
#3818 3 years ago

Friendly reminder to recap your boards. I just removed this from my SS 16 opto pcb and it was leaking pretty bad.

20210401_091218 (resized).jpg20210401_091218 (resized).jpg
#3819 3 years ago

Please list what part number the cap is and where you get them.

#3820 3 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Please list what part number the cap is and where you get them.

It's a 470uf@35v radial cap. I usually use Nichicon but there are a ton of other brands. GPE, digikey, arrow, mouser all have them.

1 week later
#3821 3 years ago

I just noticed my spider ramp has broken at the bolt next the boney beast entrance (see photo). Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this without having to replace the ramp?

The ramp works fine, functionally works great. But if I hit the ball up that ramp with some good speed, I will notice some movement in it. Will it likely break more? Should I worry about this? How involved is replacing this ramp? I’ve only had the game for a few weeks (might have even broke when transporting it).

Any advice would be appreciated!

B34040A0-430E-4ABF-A815-3D1C7A190717 (resized).jpegB34040A0-430E-4ABF-A815-3D1C7A190717 (resized).jpeg
#3822 3 years ago

Not sure how to actually fix it, but the ramp is available. I believe Starship Fantasy makes them and it also might be available at Little Shop of Games.

#3823 3 years ago

Marco should have this ramp and it’s expensive. You could try super gluing washers of the right size, one on the bottom and one on top making your own hole to remount and hold secure.

#3824 3 years ago
Quoted from chaz009:

I just noticed my spider ramp has broken at the bolt next the boney beast entrance (see photo). Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this without having to replace the ramp?
The ramp works fine, functionally works great. But if I hit the ball up that ramp with some good speed, I will notice some movement in it. Will it likely break more? Should I worry about this? How involved is replacing this ramp? I’ve only had the game for a few weeks (might have even broke when transporting it).
Any advice would be appreciated!
[quoted image]

Lexan washers are the easy fix. A better fix is to cut out and shape a peice of Lexan and pop rivet into place. Here is a photo of that type of repair on another ramp. I use a demel to shape the Lexan and then drill 1/8" holes on both sides of the patch and ramp (these are for the pop rivets). Drill a larger hole in the patch for the ramp mounting screw and your done.

20210123_102033 (resized).jpg20210123_102033 (resized).jpg
#3825 3 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Marco should have this ramp and it’s expensive. You could try super gluing washers of the right size, one on the bottom and one on top making your own hole to remount and hold secure.

don't buy there, you will just overpay. starship fantasy has them brand new. so does planetary pinball. personally id put 2 big washers there and forget it.

#3826 3 years ago

Use acrylic glue, not super glue. It welds the pieces back together. Seems to work great.

#3827 3 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

don't buy there, you will just overpay. starship fantasy has them brand new. so does planetary pinball. personally id put 2 big washers there and forget it.

The large, clear washers look clean and would hold it nicely without further damage. Short of replacing the ramp.

#3828 3 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Right. Both of those places you mentioned are just as much if not more than Marco. Do your deligence before you post BS.

1 week later
#3829 2 years ago

OK, this should be easy, but it's not. When I got my SS, it had no coffin door. I bought a door, the door cover, a hinge and the spring. Put it together like I think it would go. But that thing is too tight to move.
So, what is the proper orientation of the spring? Is there any trick to getting it out together and be loose on the hinge?

20210423_212452 (resized).jpg20210423_212452 (resized).jpg
#3830 2 years ago

Also, while I'm at it, is the cover usually screwed in or riveted in to the metal backing?

#3831 2 years ago

Joined the club, picked up an early HEP restored proto with red boards. The playfield was signed by the entire design team under the apron. Game is incredible, loving it. Nice companion to my EHOH LE.

20210417_180630 (resized).jpg20210417_180630 (resized).jpg20210417_191715 (resized).jpg20210417_191715 (resized).jpg
#3832 2 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Is there any trick to getting it out together and be loose on the hinge?

An update. I smoothed out the tabs on the coffin mech with a file, then bent them in slightly. Works like a charm now.

#3833 2 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

Joined the club, picked up an early HEP restored proto with red boards. The playfield was signed by the entire design team under the apron. Game is incredible, loving it. Nice companion to my EHOH LE.

Nice game! The early games were exports hence the coin door. One question, why are the flippers wrong?

#3834 2 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

Joined the club, picked up an early HEP restored proto with red boards. The playfield was signed by the entire design team under the apron. Game is incredible, loving it. Nice companion to my EHOH LE.[quoted image][quoted image]

Get the Cliffys on there. Very nice.

#3835 2 years ago

Does anyone know where this metal bar part goes? I took a picture of it where I found it on the playfield (approximately).

Thank you.

B81A1CCA-D945-4FB8-A312-9994883DB916 (resized).jpegB81A1CCA-D945-4FB8-A312-9994883DB916 (resized).jpeg

Edit: Well, my coffin door isn’t opening all the way anymore, so I’m guessing it has something to do with that?

#3836 2 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Right. Both of those places you mentioned are just as much if not more than Marco. Do your deligence before you post BS.

smo

#3837 2 years ago
Quoted from chaz009:

Does anyone know where this metal bar part goes? I took a picture of it where I found it on the playfield (approximately).

Is it the shaft from this piece?
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/04-10419.1

#3838 2 years ago

Looks like the skinny part of that, yep! I think it just broke off.

#3839 2 years ago

I want a scared stiff! I’ll trade my Jurassic Park pro for it, hit me up!!

#3840 2 years ago

There's a dude with a project SS that keeps popping up in NY for 2.5k. I finally emailed. No mechs, no boards. Not worth the shipping for me, but maybe someone local wants to put one together.

#3841 2 years ago

If you had an MM (any version), I would consider. I don't want to get rid of my SS, but there are a couple titles I would consider and MM is at the top of that list.

#3842 2 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Nice game! The early games were exports hence the coin door. One question, why are the flippers wrong?

You mean wrong flipper bats? I'm not sure. Chris said he built from boxes of spare prototype parts, maybe it's what was available.

#3843 2 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

You mean wrong flipper bats?

You know I was thinking after I wrote that... Maybe since it was a proto, it did not get the boney flippers.

#3844 2 years ago

Is there any way of seeing lifetime plays (not total plays) on SS?

I have mine listed for sale, someone was asking.

#3845 2 years ago
Quoted from chaz009:

Is there any way of seeing lifetime plays (not total plays) on SS?
I have mine listed for sale, someone was asking.

No. Not possible as the counters are reset when batteries are removed

1 week later
#3846 2 years ago

Error message on the SS this morning, divertor switch stuck open, any help with this? Also last night the coffin wasn’t kicking out ball on 1st try. Are these related issues & where do I start looking? Thanks Guys, John

#3847 2 years ago

Found wire came off diverter coil so that is fixed & error is gone. Cleaned up coffin parts & it’s kicking ball out now, though the door stays open longer than it used to but closes so all is good now I’m hoping.

1 week later
#3848 2 years ago

Back Available - Claw Assy 04-10582.1 - these are original WMS tool and Grey Smoked color. Best to get a matched set, as early repro's of these came in black, etc. http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-04-105821&Store_Code=PP

04-105821 (resized).jpg04-105821 (resized).jpg
#3849 2 years ago

Just found this thread so figure this is a good place post about the Dancing Boogiemen mod at Pinball Life:

https://www.pinballlife.com/scared-stiff-dancing-boogie-men-slingshot-mod.html

Original post talking about it here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-dancing-boogiemen-for-ss-at-pinball-life

Boogiemen (resized).jpgBoogiemen (resized).jpg
#3850 2 years ago

Looking for an Elvira “Let’s Play Pinball” promo plastic. Anyone a seller or have a lead to follow? Thanks!

B2958EDC-DB6C-4E57-8389-3BC01EEDA917 (resized).jpegB2958EDC-DB6C-4E57-8389-3BC01EEDA917 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

£ 37.00
$ 249.00
£ 38.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lewiston, NY
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 4,230 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 85.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-clubmembers-only/page/77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.