909DC566-BA18-4A7B-948B-A2812A966538 (resized).jpeg
609C131B-B6E8-4B42-8AA0-225FC367851B (resized).jpeg
6E875811-9FBF-4B9F-BAB8-8010367C0AC5 (resized).jpeg
20231003_155922 (resized).jpg
20231003_155902 (resized).jpg
20231003_155906 (resized).jpg
20231003_155847 (resized).jpg
20231003_155855 (resized).jpg
There are 4,231 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 85.
#3301 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbu64:

Hmmm . . . I just checked too, but it says “in stock” and I was able to put one in the cart.

My Fault I checked PSPA instead of Mr Pinball I stand corrected.

#3302 4 years ago
Quoted from T0MM1:

Sorry I had missed the text !!!!
Hi guys after years and years of research I finally became owner of SS, personally I give it back one of the only favorite pinball machines Unique !!!!!!
Paid really little but it's a disaster !!!
I'm doing a good restoration ...
A good game for everyone !!!!!

Looks awesome! Great job!

#3303 4 years ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

I would largely prefer to not have to pay AU shipping, but I guess beggars can't be choosers, huh?

If you need JUST the frogs....

http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=04-10510.1

I bought 5 of them, and they are 100% identical to the stock ones.

#3304 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

If you need JUST the frogs....
http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=04-10510.1
I bought 5 of them, and they are 100% identical to the stock ones.

I need the frogs and the sticks they sit on mine are missing completely.

Also, looks like Ministry is out of stock, and Mr. Pinball doesn't ship to the US?

#3305 4 years ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

I need the frogs and the sticks they sit on mine are missing completely.
Also, looks like Ministry is out of stock, and Mr. Pinball doesn't ship to the US?

Might have to make your own with the frogs at Action pinball. I can use my vernier calipers get the thickness and measure the length of them if need be.

#3306 4 years ago

Since my SS build is not bound to the original hardware, I've been thinking about doing away with the jumping action and instead lighting their eyes when they are hit. I'm also contemplating the addition of the original Saved By The Spell kickback mech. Working around the ROM will require some controller hackery, but I have the design worked out already.

#3307 4 years ago

So I picked up a very nice scared stiff recently. It’s either been taken very good care of or been well restored. The one issue it’s got is that the spider hole is pretty blown out. It’s got cliffys on the hole, front and back, and the back one isn’t flat enough and traps slow moving balls before they fall in. Eventually I’d probably like to replace the PF; or have this one fixed, and throw a mantis protector in it instead.

Are the micro repros good on all the hole sizes/placements/markings and quality? Or should I focus on looking for a fixed up original/fixing he one I have?

#3308 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Are the micro repros good on all the hole sizes/placements/markings and quality? Or should I focus on looking for a fixed up original/fixing he one I have?

I have a Mirco installed and its beautiful! Everything lines up and no issues. I installed Cliffys on it and put a small piece of mylar behind the cliffy on the spider hole to keep the balls moving freely. Works perfect with 100% protection. PM me if you need any pics.

#3309 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

My personal opinion is fix the original if it has good inserts and low wear otherwise. I did a monster Bash Mosh Pit Hole and it turned out great! I installed a Mantis protector and then repaired the hole with the Mantis as a guide. I used a wood colored Epoxy and then painted the inside edges with a wood color tan paint and air brush. Anyone can do it it's simple to do. I will see if I have some pics.

#3310 4 years ago

Ok here are the before and afters

4C23D5CC-823E-4EBC-997B-4CF84888556B (resized).jpeg4C23D5CC-823E-4EBC-997B-4CF84888556B (resized).jpeg71DC52E0-0B3B-440D-94CA-7B47B753D467 (resized).jpeg71DC52E0-0B3B-440D-94CA-7B47B753D467 (resized).jpegA57493C8-6CE8-4B4E-B67D-7179595E4C44 (resized).jpegA57493C8-6CE8-4B4E-B67D-7179595E4C44 (resized).jpegD438C307-EEAF-49E0-8A84-52A1E79CAA8C (resized).jpegD438C307-EEAF-49E0-8A84-52A1E79CAA8C (resized).jpeg
#3311 4 years ago

Even in my !!
Used protector as a base and filled with two-component filler ..... smooth and flesh-colored !!!

20190113_230150 (resized).jpg20190113_230150 (resized).jpg20190302_224404 (resized).jpg20190302_224404 (resized).jpg20190303_004106 (resized).jpg20190303_004106 (resized).jpg20190311_233327 (resized).jpg20190311_233327 (resized).jpg20190314_225531 (resized).jpg20190314_225531 (resized).jpg20190315_231357 (resized).jpg20190315_231357 (resized).jpg20190319_233121 (1) (resized).jpg20190319_233121 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_2019-05-19_00-02-00 (resized).JPGIMG_2019-05-19_00-02-00 (resized).JPG
#3312 4 years ago

Impressive repair work!

#3313 4 years ago

My new baby. The boney beast eye mod is a frustrating little venture

20190522_102511 (resized).jpg20190522_102511 (resized).jpg20190522_102540 (resized).jpg20190522_102540 (resized).jpg20190522_102546 (resized).jpg20190522_102546 (resized).jpg20190522_214628 (resized).jpg20190522_214628 (resized).jpg20190522_214631 (resized).jpg20190522_214631 (resized).jpg20190522_214640 (resized).jpg20190522_214640 (resized).jpg
#3314 4 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

My new baby. The boney beast eye mod is a frustrating little venture[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I have the eye mod but have not installed it yet. Why is it frustrating?

#3315 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Might have to make your own with the frogs at Action pinball. I can use my vernier calipers get the thickness and measure the length of them if need be.

I do greatly appreciate the offer for help. I would have no idea on how to create the rods, so not sure if this is the best venue myself. I guess I'll keep searching for 3 replacements

#3316 4 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

I have the eye mod but have not installed it yet. Why is it frustrating?

Getting them lined up. Its really tight fit

#3317 4 years ago

Anyone have that plastic green dripping stuff for near the speakers?

#3318 4 years ago

Il mio nuovo bambino. Il mod occhio di bestia ossuta è una piccola impresa frustrante

Very beautifull !!!!!

This is my new mod .....
Let's see how it is ........
Soon new photos !!

[000033] (resized).jpg[000033] (resized).jpgImmagine (resized).pngImmagine (resized).png20190127_224749 (resized).jpg20190127_224749 (resized).jpg20190127_224049 (resized).jpg20190127_224049 (resized).jpg
#3319 4 years ago
2 weeks later
#3320 4 years ago

I wrote a fairly detailed review of Scared Stiff here, please take a minute to take a look and let me know what you think, I welcome any comments on it you may have, I think I have been pretty fair with it...

http://www.theukpinballclub.co.uk/pinball-reviews/scared-stiff-bally-1996/

#3321 4 years ago
Quoted from JamesUK:

I wrote a fairly detailed review of Scared Stiff here, please take a minute to take a look and let me know what you think, I welcome any comments on it you may have, I think I have been pretty fair with it...

I am completely confused by this write up. (maybe I am the only one) I will pick just one: The Boogieman mode is switch based? Hmmm... The boogieman mode on my game uses the holes to gain Boogieman points. (You hit the ball into as many holes as you can which takes out the Boogiemen) If you get lots of Boogieman points Elvira has a really special message for you when it's over.

#3322 4 years ago
Quoted from T0MM1:

Sorry I had missed the text !!!!
Hi guys after years and years of research I finally became owner of SS, personally I give it back one of the only favorite pinball machines Unique !!!!!!
Paid really little but it's a disaster !!!
I'm doing a good restoration ...
A good game for everyone !!!!!

Wow! Now that is some 'terrifying' insert wear.

Keep up the great work. It's looking much better.

#3323 4 years ago

Hey whthrs166 - the hole does increase the value per switch, but the switch is what actually scores the points... so you get 15k I believe it is per switch up by 5k per switch depending on which sink hole you go into...

What else didn't you understand - or more to the point, did my writing fail to deliver on?

#3324 4 years ago
Quoted from JamesUK:

Hey whthrs166 - the hole does increase the value per switch, but the switch is what actually scores the points... so you get 15k I believe it is per switch up by 5k per switch depending on which sink hole you go into...
What else didn't you understand - or more to the point, did my writing fail to deliver on?

OK here is what I am having trouble with on your write up. It does not matter about the switch actually scoring the points. (that's a technicality) Hitting the ball into the holes is what you have to do to get the prize. It kills off the Boogiemen. Look at the display when you hit it in there! You want your reader to understand how the game is played when they read your article by seeing what you think is wonderful about the game play. When you say it is switch based you mislead the reader (at least you did with me) by thinking that all you do is hit switches. That my two cents worth. Maybe some others can read it and chime in.

#3325 4 years ago

Looking forward to photos of the finished product what you have done so far looks fantastic

Quoted from T0MM1:

Very beautifull !!!!!
This is my new mod .....
Let's see how it is ........
Soon new photos !![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#3326 4 years ago

Finished my scared stiff leds

20190605_185231 (resized).jpg20190605_185231 (resized).jpg
#3327 4 years ago

Looks Awesome! Did you use a green LED strip under the apron behind the flippers?

#3328 4 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Looks Awesome! Did you use a green LED strip under the apron behind the flippers?

Green under the lane guide and a comet green led strip between the flippers. Ita a 5v strip

#3329 4 years ago

Hey whthrs166 - i have taken this on board and updated it - I do appreciate you taking the time to comment. To be honest, I only put that in (it's under the the sound element of the review) as it was about how I thought sound wise this mode was far more accomplished than the general drone of the repeated music at the beginning, this and the callouts for me are what make the sounds memorable on a somewhat forgetful backing track.

#3330 4 years ago

Ok I will take another look when I get back home.

#3331 4 years ago

Alright James, I am locked and loaded! A couple things: Don't refer to the top lane switches as roll overs. Rollovers in pinball are very different. Rollovers are spring loaded buttons that are found on a playfield. Yes it might be a bit picky, but it does mislead the reader into thinking there are buttons up there. I don't think you accurately described the music for SS. You used the phrase "General Loop Backround Music". Scared Stiff has 6 Main Theme Tunes. That's a lot for a pinball game! I really like how you can progressively change the Main Theme Tune as you achieve your goals on the Six Tales Of Terror for Scared Stiff. I Become very board of the same old theme music playing on and on and on as you play on other machines. The only way to get away from that theme music is to change the mode. No so on Scared Stiff. In your write up you complain about The Dead Head jokes she tells when you hit the DH switches. OK I get it, it's your opinion but that is a very large part of Elvira and her TV show. She was that Jokester and yes some of the jokes weren't "Knee Slappers" but that was her Gig Man! So You might leave out the complaint. (just my opinion) OK Lastly, (and this is biggy) You left out some real important game play aspects. 1. Secret Passage. Secret Passage is one of the hardest shots in pinball. So much so that you can't purposely make it. It's a "God Shot" If you shoot Secret Passage you get a Tale. The first shot is Coffin. If you shoot it twice you get the next Tale clockwise on the wheel and so on. The best I have ever done is three. 2. Spider Champion. To get Spider Champion you have to get everything on the wheel. Then you get Spider Multiball. Very Difficult! I have never done it. These two Put Scared Stiff ahead of Monster Bash for difficulty. (in my opinion) If there is anything I can't stand it's someone that says SS is too easy and never achieved these two.

#3332 4 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

OK I get it, it's your opinion but that is a very large part of Elvira and her TV show. She was that Jokester and yes some of the jokes weren't "Knee Slappers" but that was her Gig Man!

It's part of her "shtick".

#3333 4 years ago

Does anyone got a picture of their boney beast painted?

#3334 4 years ago

Does anyone got a picture of their boney beast painted?

Here is one for now Robert... Just a zoom of a photo I sent you when we were talking about PCing my armor. I am not home so cant take a better one, but I like these bones a lot better than the plain white ones that were originally on it. I actually bought these from a member here. I think he still has a set or 2 left.
Boney Beast paint (resized).jpgBoney Beast paint (resized).jpg

Here is the ad for the ones I bought. Very happy with them...

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1145-buthamburg/01603-scared-stiff-boney-beast-ribs-set-fully-decorated-30-pieces

And a noted plus to buying this set.. He sends you 30 ribs. The SS machine comes with 27 originally. My original setup with 27 occasionally let a ball launch out of the ramp when it popped out of the spider hole due to the spacing between the original ribs. Having some extra ribs, I was able to get 28 ribs in the machine just fine and now with the ribs closer together, I have never had another ball escape when popped from the spider hole. They all stay on the ramp now. And I think 28 looks better too because the last rib covers more of the bottom right ramp whereas before, the ramp protruded past the last rib.

#3335 4 years ago

So im almost done with my creature mod and will be ready to ship soon, so ive been thinking on scared stiff. The skull pile does little for me. What do you guys think of a like 7" monitor with a 3d printed tv like whats on the backglass that interacts with the game. Displays the mode your in, clips from the movie, her show, displays new custom dead head clips etc.displays tv static when you drain etc. My board will work with this as well. Of course you will have to remove your skull pile as thats the ideal mounting spot.

#3336 4 years ago

So im almost done with my creature mod and will be ready to ship soon, so ive been thinking on scared stiff. The skull pile does little for me. What do you guys think of a like 7" monitor with a 3d printed tv like whats on the backglass that interacts with the game. Displays the mode your in, clips from the movie, her show, displays new custom dead head clips etc.displays tv static when you drain etc. My board will work with this as well. Of course you will have to remove your skull pile as thats the ideal mounting spot.

I like it. I'm also working on a custom piece for that(with no intention of making it for others). In my case, I bought some little halloween skulls with moveable jaws, and I'm using them to make a vacuum molded toy that has flashing eye lights and moves the jaws with little servo motors.

#3337 4 years ago

What is this "creature mod" you are working on? I looked back in your previous posts and don't see any mention of it. I am intrigued! As for the skull pile replacement, it sounds great! I already invested in and installed the CzTV mod though which plays the old Elvira clips so I would not be looking to have two TVs in my game, and I kinda like the skull pile anyway. My only fear with having a TV display over there though is that there have been a few times when I have launched a ball so hard up the right ramp that it has caught air and hit the skull pile, and occasionally gets stuck in the back right corner. Need to make sure that whatever screen you put there can withstand a high speed ball hitting it.

EDIT: Just looked at your game lineup and my guess now is that your "Creature mod" is actually for CFTBL and not SS... lol. My mind went to some sort of monster for SS rather than the actual Creature.

#3338 4 years ago

Does anyone have a picture of their boney beast painted?

The best looking option is the glow-in-the-dark set (boney beast skull and ribs and six claw-holders for the red flasher globes). No need to paint them, since they come already shaded.

The skull pile does little for me. What about replacing it with a 7" monitor and 3D-printed TV that interacts with the game?

Adding an LED eyes kit (available in red or multi-color) to the skull pile (and maybe even the flickering candle kit) makes it a nice game feature. It would take some really great videos linked to game modes to get people willing to replace the skull pile with an LCD screen back there.

#3339 4 years ago

What is the most recommended bony beast LED strip? Is it worthwhile just to buy a cheap one on amazon, or are the ones being sold by Lermods or mezelmods special in any way?

#3340 4 years ago

Hey @whthrs16 - thank you for taking the time to write the feedback, I have updated the review as follows, I really appreciate the feedback.

- Rollovers - yep 100% on board for that, that was an error and I missed the nomenclature badly there, updated.
- Rechecked the music situation and agree, it does change from the loop in mode, I had made a nod to that, but personally - I think it's the callouts that make the game still and even with this changing music, comparatively - the music is dull.
- On the deadheads, I love the callouts, one of them makes it into my top 3 callouts I have no issue with these as a callout, my issue is how the coding of them stops and starts the gameplay.
- On the modes etc, I make mention of going to PAPA for a full rule breakdown, I didn't set out to achieve that (and say that in the post) - I agree about the spider multiball element, I did consider mentioning it's existence but know I couldn't comment on it because honestly, I have never got to it... so felt that wasn't a fair thing to review.

Thanks once for the feedback, I hope it is a stronger article for the future because of it

3 weeks later
#3341 4 years ago

Got a perfect set of lane guides and boney beast p
Ribs. 70 shipped to you

20190703_181550 (resized).jpg20190703_181550 (resized).jpg
#3342 4 years ago

best remakes of the slingshot plastics? seen several, some horrible, some ok.

#3343 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Anyone have that plastic green dripping stuff for near the speakers?

think back alley had something similar at tpf last year.

#3344 4 years ago

Ok...so I'm going to LED my machine.
But I'm guessing I should also get an OCD LED board (as it looks to me like there are some flame flicker/dimming effects that were programed into the code)?
I see OCD also sells a GI board. Should I get that too?

Thanks!

BobC

#3345 4 years ago

Mine is LED'd, and I dont feel like those are necessities. YMMV

#3346 4 years ago

I put both on my machine and am happy with the results. There is plenty of dimming programmed into SS which leads to a lot of flicker without the boards. I noticed a significant difference after installing them.

#3347 4 years ago

My Scared stiff was at SFGE in Atlanta this year.

It got 316 plays, average ball time of a minute and it was extended the ultimate compliment of "Best of Show, Modern Pinball" by the voting ballot for the show. It was nice to see Scared Stiff represented at a show and getting some recognition. The best part is she made it there and back again (~900 miles) without any damage.

https://arcadeshenanigans.com/blog/2019/about-scared-stiff

IMG_0887 (resized).JPGIMG_0887 (resized).JPG
#3348 4 years ago

Yeah there hasn't been a SS here at our show in years. I guess it's just not one that people are willing to bring out to a show. Good on you for doing it there man!

#3349 4 years ago

I did put down a playfield protector and pinbits plastic protectors on it first but after the show all I had to do was wipe it down and clean the titans and you'd never know it had been at a show.

I used to be in the "I'm not taking my game for it to be beat up all weekend", camp but lately I'm falling more in the "this is what this was created for" camp.

To each their own I suppose.

Also on the "should I?" LEDOCD above. Yes. This is one game I'd recommend both GI and controlled lamps LED OCD boards on to retain the candle flicker animations in the GI and smooth the insert chase light show stepping.

#3350 4 years ago

Hi guys!
Working on my SS for the last 1-2 months. Cabinet is finally done: New decals (how incredible is the original green VS old decals), buffed and shined coindoor, rails, hinge and brand new interior.

What a labor of love! Now it feels and looks like a brand new cadillac.

Next step; upper PF

In french canadian there’s something we say « quand les mains travaillent, l’esprit se repose »

« When hands are working, brain takes a break » sounds better in french
16136D8E-9794-4012-A25F-8127A731811A (resized).jpeg16136D8E-9794-4012-A25F-8127A731811A (resized).jpeg3E0BFCE8-E0DB-441A-A988-6F7B0DFD11A4 (resized).jpeg3E0BFCE8-E0DB-441A-A988-6F7B0DFD11A4 (resized).jpeg8E1B1C65-096F-4B29-9903-F3403ECFAF84 (resized).jpeg8E1B1C65-096F-4B29-9903-F3403ECFAF84 (resized).jpegB2145ECC-AD28-470D-B5A6-0DD7BC7DC9E2 (resized).jpegB2145ECC-AD28-470D-B5A6-0DD7BC7DC9E2 (resized).jpeg

95D18857-290E-425A-B601-53C246336596 (resized).jpeg95D18857-290E-425A-B601-53C246336596 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 249.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lewiston, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 37.00
£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 4,231 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 85.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-clubmembers-only/page/67?hl=scoot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.