909DC566-BA18-4A7B-948B-A2812A966538 (resized).jpeg
609C131B-B6E8-4B42-8AA0-225FC367851B (resized).jpeg
6E875811-9FBF-4B9F-BAB8-8010367C0AC5 (resized).jpeg
20231003_155922 (resized).jpg
20231003_155902 (resized).jpg
20231003_155906 (resized).jpg
20231003_155847 (resized).jpg
20231003_155855 (resized).jpg
There are 4,230 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 85.
#3001 5 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

She's very lovely, but I don't think that that is Elvira. The eyes, nose and cheeks all look wrong. Maybe it's just a weird angle, but that looks like April Wahlin.

No, it's her. I think the 'enlargement' of the pic is messing with u.

#3002 5 years ago

Although, I'm not a Elvira expert. So I won't bet my SS with u.

#3003 5 years ago

This is who I thought it was. But it's a fine idea, regardless. I think I'll be doing something similar!

elvira-april1 (resized).jpgelvira-april1 (resized).jpg
#3004 5 years ago

I figured y'all might like this:
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/06/25/monte-michael-moore-elias-chatzoudis-buzz-cover-elvira-1/

Elvira2018-01-01121-ExcluMGAMoore (resized).jpgElvira2018-01-01121-ExcluMGAMoore (resized).jpg
#3005 5 years ago

That's pretty cool art, nice find! I just picked up both #1 covers from the artist's website in case anyone is interested.

https://www.moregreatart.com/store/elvira-1-combo/

Screenshot_20180629-075331.pngScreenshot_20180629-075331.png
#3006 5 years ago

I just installed a set of new plastics and I can't find a location for this one. Can anyone me point in the right direction.

Cheers
Steve

ssplastic (resized).jpgssplastic (resized).jpg
#3007 5 years ago

I don't recognize that one.

#3008 5 years ago

It goes at the top of the Boney Beast ramp on the flange that inserts into the backboard.

IMG_0350 (resized).JPGIMG_0350 (resized).JPG
#3009 5 years ago

Thanks, much appreciated. I think that now that the game is back together, I'll leave the original in there.

#3010 5 years ago

What's a good LED to use for the red globes? Also, what is recommended to use to replace the bulb under the boney beast skull? (the one that flares on when you hit the ramp) About to make an order with Cointaker soon.

20180702_184656 (resized).jpg20180702_184656 (resized).jpg

#3011 5 years ago

Anyone else have an issue installing Cliffys? Spider hole Cliffy is perfectly flush and the tab is underneath the playfield, yet the holes do not line up.

20180704_112404 (resized).jpg20180704_112404 (resized).jpg

#3012 5 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

What's a good LED to use for the red globes? Also, what is recommended to use to replace the bulb under the boney beast skull? (the one that flares on when you hit the ramp) About to make an order with Cointaker soon.

Do NOT use LEDs on these - you will lose the whole cool 'fading' effect that the lamp effects give off!

#3013 5 years ago

i had LED's in mine; thought they were fine.

#3014 5 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Secret Passage is a God Shot! I think it's one of the hardest shots in pinball.

I get a little thrill getting the WH02 secret passage when it happens.How do you compare the two? SS sounds a lot harder to get.

#3015 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Do NOT use LEDs on these - you will lose the whole cool 'fading' effect that the lamp effects give off!

You can also install a GIOCD which does a phenomenal job on the fading effects!

Edit: actually I’m not sure if those lamps are controlled by the GI, will check when I get home!

#3016 5 years ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

I get a little thrill getting the WH02 secret passage when it happens.How do you compare the two? SS sounds a lot harder to ge

It’s a lot harder. Since Nordman did both titles the passages are simular. I can actually shoot Secret Passage on WW not on SS.

#3017 5 years ago

So I picked up one of these slime mods from Back Alley. It fits right in with my armor even though it was intended for GB. I think this mod would look good on any SS.

E380196B-DDC1-45CF-BC2A-4B715FB1C53A (resized).jpegE380196B-DDC1-45CF-BC2A-4B715FB1C53A (resized).jpeg
#3018 5 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

It’s a lot harder. Since Nordman did both titles the passages are simular. I can actually shoot Secret Passage on WW not on SS.

I just got gr secret passage on a throw away game today. My second one in a month! But you can’t hit it on purpose. It’s like the SIM card shot on dialed in. Just pure luck.

#3019 5 years ago

Another angle.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#3020 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I just got gr secret passage on a throw away game today. My second one in a month! But you can’t hit it on purpose. It’s like the SIM card shot on dialed in. Just pure luck.

It's strange my wife hits it all the time. I should start calling her weak shot sally. The other game that has a prize for a weak shot up the left orbit is Cirqus Voltaire with the Juggler Sneaky Lock. Both of those shots are a "Hole In One" in my Pin Golf course!

#3021 5 years ago

Question for SS owners/players .... a guy I know has a SS and he said when he got the Stiff O Meter everything starts lighting up and going crazy but he also said about 30 seconds in the machine just shut down and then re-booted. Never owned SS so not sure of this issue....anyone ever experience this?

#3022 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Question for SS owners/players .... a guy I know has a SS and he said when he got the Stiff O Meter everything starts lighting up and going crazy but he also said about 30 seconds in the machine just shut down and then re-booted. Never owned SS so not sure of this issue....anyone ever experience this?

Needs caps or BR’s changed. Fairly comment in this older titles. Not expense to do either. Good luck

#3023 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

haven't experienced that in mine. Sounds like a power issue as the machine juices up big time. Maybe try that daughterboard fix?

#3026 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Needs caps or BR’s changed. Fairly comment in this older titles. Not expense to do either. Good luck

Yep The other title that this is common on is WW. When everything is all going at once it loads the bridge rectifiers to their max, that's when they will fail.

#3027 5 years ago

Got some great mods installed this weekend - LEDOCD, GIOCD (still not sure if this is all that helpful on this game), the bony beast eye mod, Stern anti-glare glass, speaker upgrades! And these awesome lit hinge mods:

44D969EE-4A6E-46C3-9E5B-17DA4A586BBC (resized).jpeg44D969EE-4A6E-46C3-9E5B-17DA4A586BBC (resized).jpegD6D895F2-DD07-4027-AC90-3E6E1F4F8392 (resized).jpegD6D895F2-DD07-4027-AC90-3E6E1F4F8392 (resized).jpegDC950F4D-C33B-4917-9C97-A86B31945AAA (resized).jpegDC950F4D-C33B-4917-9C97-A86B31945AAA (resized).jpeg
#3028 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Got some great mods installed this weekend - LEDOCD, GIOCD (still not sure if this is all that helpful on this game), the bony beast eye mod, Stern anti-glare glass, speaker upgrades! And these awesome lit hinge mods:

Love that eye mod. Way creative and looks incredible. Congrats looks Awesome!

#3029 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Love that eye mod. Way creative and looks incredible. Congrats looks Awesome!

Thanks! I am looking at reprogramming those eyes to see if I can try some additional styles, may get to it in a few weeks

#3030 5 years ago

I picked up a Scared Stiff recently and have joined the club! My 3 year old grandson Jack was very happy and is telling everyone that “Baba bought me a pinball machine!” That is true enough, I guess.

The cabinet and playing field were in fantastic shape, and the game itself played very well. I thought the flippers were a bit weak, a light or two was out, and the flipper rubber showed wear. The electronic test report showed EOS Right Error. Also, the sensitivity on the crate hit shot seemed off, it would not register some direct hits.

Being an Electrical Engineer by trade who loves to tinker, I planned for several upgrades, LED Lights, adding a ColorDMD, and a flipper rebuild kit among several other squeaks. Boogie Man Mod using 3D printed parts will follow.

I thought that you guys might appreciate some of the things that I learned along the way.

20180616_165637 (resized).jpg20180616_165637 (resized).jpg20180617_111329 (resized).jpg20180617_111329 (resized).jpgBefore (resized).JPGBefore (resized).JPG
#3031 5 years ago

LED Lights
The first thing I did was to count up all of the lights in the manual and order replacements in advance of the machine arriving. It turns out that, if you do this, you will not have near enough lights to do the job, especially on the #44 Bayonet Base bulbs!

Bally Part Number Standard Light Number Manual Qty Actual Qty Needed Price Est
24-6549 Bulb #44 2W @ 6.3V 20 60 $0.39
Bayonet Base
24-8768 Bulb #555 2W @ 6.3V 42 44 $0.39
Wedge Base
24-8802 Flasher #906 12V 12 6 $1.50
Wedge Base
24-8704 Flasher #89 12V 6 6 $4.95
Bayonet Base

I saw an earlier comment that the SS manual shows a +20VDC power supply and that the 12VDC flashers would burn up, but, they work just fine.
I found that the LED’s are much brighter and make the colors much more vivid than the incandescent bulbs, which give everything a more yellow cast.
One note, I think that the #89 light for the center “all tales complete” looks better left incandescent as it is a big circle and the LED #89 was too directional to light the entire circle.

Here is a before and after look with the ambient lights off.

20180618_102206 (resized).jpg20180618_102206 (resized).jpg20180623_125707 (resized).jpg20180623_125707 (resized).jpg
#3032 5 years ago

Color DMD
The Color DMD makes a huge difference IMHO, although it is a bit pricey. There are multiple installations based upon the pin you have, and I recommend picking the right one before you start (unlike knucklehead me who was reading the wrong one on my phone without my reading glasses), but overall things went smoothly. I did have a bit of a struggle with the FW upgrade, I had to reformat my memory stick as a FAT32 device to make it work.

20180620_205827 (resized).jpg20180620_205827 (resized).jpg
#3033 5 years ago

Flipper Rebuild

I mentioned earlier that the test mode of the machine was reporting an EOS Right Error, and I had been given several suggestions as to why this was happening. It turns out that one of the wires to the EOS switch was simply broken. One interesting thing about Scared Stiff is that the EOS Switches are normally open, not normally closed like most older machines.

After rebuilding the flippers and changing the flipper rubber, the flipper power is awesome. The Bony Beast and Web Ramps can be hit much more reliably.

Flipper Before (resized).JPGFlipper Before (resized).JPG
#3034 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Take some video of the eyes of possible interested to see if that's worth it. I was thinking speaker upgrade too what did you go for?

#3035 5 years ago

Crate Sensitivity
I noticed that several direct crate hits were not registering. Upon looking at the sensor, there is a magnetic strip in front of the crate that is connected to a circuit board called a “Generic Eddy Sensor A-18543.1-2” in the manual. Using a jeweler’s screwdriver, I turned variable potentiometer R2 1/8 to ¼ turn to the right and achieved the desired performance.

20180715_152245 (resized).jpg20180715_152245 (resized).jpg
#3036 5 years ago

Boogie Men Mod
I also found a Pinsider that had a 3D model of the Boogie Man Mod part that he was willing to send me via email. I am working on 3D Printing some parts with various materials and will post a report on the results soon. I will likely have some extra parts to share with you guys as well.

#3037 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Take some video of the eyes of possible interested to see if that's worth it. I was thinking speaker upgrade too what did you go for?

There's video on the Bony Beast mod thread - the pupils go back and forth, "looking around", and blink. it doesn't interact with the game but it's active enough it doesn't really matter

for the speaker upgrade, I rolled my own - added an L-Pad and a new 8" 4ohm high efficiency speaker (I think it was $25?) and 2 brand new 2-way 5.25" backbox speakers which were $25 a pair or something.

If I were to do it again, I'd absolutely skip the backbox speaker upgrade; it just doesn't matter. The stock speakers are "ok" which is all that is needed for the stock music in the game. were I upgrading to a PinSound and adding my own music and callouts, it would be worth it.

The woofer is very important (make sure it's 4ohm on DCS and WPC95 games!!) but the absolute critical thing is the L-Pad. Flipper Fidelity and Pinball Pro include this (it's the little 'volume control' thing). This is the secret sauce IMO. Adds bass (as much as you want) where before there was so almost none to be found.

This game had horribly tinny sound before, zero bass, the backbox speakers would hurt your head if it was up too loud, and the cab speaker was basically not doing anything. Now, it is much improved. My particular game (to my horror, as I missed it when I originally got it) has a Rottendog A/V board, and that may(?) have something to do with the weak sound. I don't know - but it is killer now.

#3038 5 years ago

thanks. I already have a sub and it sounds great. My backbox speakers sound very good too. Here's the only problem - maybe it's just me but it feels like the left speaker is louder than right. I looked at the speakers and the left one is twice the size! Is that normal? Anyone experience this/ I'm wondering if i change them would it help or maybe I'm just crazy and hearing things.

Sound is very full though.

#3039 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

thanks. I already have a sub and it sounds great. My backbox speakers sound very good too. Here's the only problem - maybe it's just me but it feels like the left speaker is louder than right. I looked at the speakers and the left one is twice the size! Is that normal? Anyone experience this/ I'm wondering if i change them would it help or maybe I'm just crazy and hearing things.
Sound is very full though.

Yes that is normal. The left is a 5 inch and the right is a 3 inch. They are ganged together in series - basically acting as one big speaker. That is weird if it’s your radio, but these games have mono sound - so there’s no need for the speakers to be matched. Cheaper for the factory too!

That said, if you have PinSound and a stereo track (like say you upgrade the sound in Indiana Jones to play the cd quality soundtrack from the movie), THEN you want matched speakers in stereo.

But yeah I think all WPc games have the 5” and 3” speakers

#3040 5 years ago
Quoted from Marcbud:

icked up a Scared Stiff recently and have joined the club! My 3 year old grandson Jack was very happy and is telling everyone that “Baba bought me a pinball machine!” That is true enough, I guess.
The cabinet and playing field were in fantastic shape, and the game itself
played very well. I thought the flippers were a bit weak, a light or two was out, and the flipper rubber showed wear. The electronic test report showed EOS Right Error. Also, the sensitivity on the crate hit shot seemed off, it would not register some direct hits.
Being an Electrical Engineer by trade who loves to tinker, I planned for several upgrades, LED Lights, adding a ColorDMD, and a flipper rebuild kit among several other squeaks. Boogie Man Mod using 3D printed parts will follow.

Congrats on your new game. Sounds like you are jumping in with both feet! Those original Eddy boards have to be tweaked every so often. Pinbits has the Auto Eddy boards where no tweaking needed. ColorDMD and Prosound are no brainer mods for this title. My game has the dancing boogiemen, Skull Pile LEDs and the glow bones set. Those were the factory mods that were discontinued (for cost) I also recommend the glow in the dark rubbers. Good luck

#3041 5 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Prosound are no brainer mods for this title. My game has the dancing boogiemen, Skull Pile LEDs and the glow bones set. Those were the factory mods that were discontinued (for cost) I also recommend the glow in the dark rubbers.

Thanks @whthrs166, this is my first pin and I am having a blast! I'll have the Dancing Boogiemen 3D printed parts done later this week, and I have been eyeing (pun intended) the skull pile LED's. Do you have any more details for the Prosound mod you mentioned? Did you possibly mean PinSound(I just found that website)?

Rdoyle1978 , that eye mod is so awesome! I found a french website that sells them, is that where you got it?

#3042 5 years ago
Quoted from Marcbud:

Thanks whthrs166, this is my first pin and I am having a blast! I'll have the Dancing Boogiemen 3D printed parts done later this week, and I have been eyeing (pun intended) the skull pile LED's. Do you have any more details for the Prosound mod you mentioned? Did you possibly mean PinSound(I just found that website)?
rdoyle1978 , that eye mod is so awesome! I found a french website that sells them, is that where you got it?

I believe so - I bought the game from a friend, and he had the mod already on the way. Absolutely a must-have, but beware you
Do need to be SUPER careful not to cause a short; there's just not much room in that head

If I may, Pinsound is NOT a must-have for this title. Perhaps he meant "Pinball Pro" or Flipper fidelity, which I obviously think is a very important mod for this game in particular

#3043 5 years ago

Yes I have gone with Pinball ProSound (Pinball Pro) It is a speaker kit with a sub woofer. All my games have this kit and it brings pinball to a whole new level for me.

#3044 5 years ago

all you need is a pinnovators sub-out board and external sub.

#3045 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hi,

Where do you install your lighted hinge mods ?? Can you send me a picture please ?

#3046 5 years ago
Quoted from lpierrick:

Hi,
Where do you install your lighted hinge mods ?? Can you send me a picture please ?

The installed pictures are on this page, several posts up -

But are you asking where to connect everything? They connect to the service outlet inside the game

1411C60B-A691-4FC7-B411-83A3722F8ACE (resized).jpeg1411C60B-A691-4FC7-B411-83A3722F8ACE (resized).jpeg2EE7E0F8-084D-4D84-9387-A9072D1B28A2 (resized).jpeg2EE7E0F8-084D-4D84-9387-A9072D1B28A2 (resized).jpegE78ACF09-A029-48F3-BAF3-70B6FEE2FD96 (resized).jpegE78ACF09-A029-48F3-BAF3-70B6FEE2FD96 (resized).jpeg
#3047 5 years ago

I've been considering selling my Scared Stiff (!) to open up a space. Played it last night and came back to my senses - what a great game!

Now thinking it will probably look great next to a future Munsters. Hmmmmm.

#3048 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The installed pictures are on this page, several posts up -
But are you asking where to connect everything? They connect to the service outlet inside the game

Many thanks for your answer.

I Want to know where you connect your 12V 1A "wall wart" AC adapter plug (converts 100-240V 50-60hz to 12V) (1 M of wire)

In your pinball machine ?

If you have a picture ...
many thanks again ...

#3049 5 years ago
Quoted from lpierrick:

Many thanks for your answer.
I Want to know where you connect your 12V 1A "wall wart" AC adapter plug (converts 100-240V 50-60hz to 12V) (1 M of wire)
In your pinball machine ?
If you have a picture ...
many thanks again ...

Inside the machine, on the right side inside the coin door is the game power box. The wall wart plugs into the outlet on that box. You may need one of these: https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2232

wpcmov1 (resized).jpgwpcmov1 (resized).jpg
#3050 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Inside the machine, on the right side inside the coin door is the game power box. The wall wart plugs into the outlet on that box. You may need one of these: https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2232

Perfect !! It s exactly what I want ... so many thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 249.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 39.00
£ 49.00
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,230 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 85.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-clubmembers-only/page/61?hl=marcbud and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.