View topic image gallery

IMG_2514_(resized).JPG
GI-string#4_wpc95.jpg
GI_(resized).jpg
IMG_2508_(resized).JPG
IMG_2506_(resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Hello,

On my scared stiff machine I have one whole string of lights not functioning in the backbox / trans-light (please see pictures) It looks like they are powered by a pair of green and green and white striped wires which I tried to no avail to trace to a power source. Before I start tearing into wire harnesses I thought I would check to see if anyone may know where to check for power on these wires. I believe these lights are "always on" similar to the game's GI lighting, although I dont know if they are wired to the GI circuit. There are two of these strings of lights in the trans-light, the other one is working fine so I believe these are on separate circuits. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Casey

IMG_2506_(resized).JPGIMG_2506_(resized).JPG

IMG_2508_(resized).JPGIMG_2508_(resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Chances are you have a loose wire, tarnished pin or burnt connector. These are powered at j121 or j120 somewhere around there. There are two connectors on your power driver board that power your gi, other lights and back box lights. I don't have a manual handy but start at those two connectors on the lower left of the power board.

#3 7 years ago

Thanks for that information. Attached is a diagram I have. If I am reading this correctly should I be looking at J103 or J106?

Thanks,
Casey

GI_(resized).jpgGI_(resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

Ah yes, J106 or J105. I believe you can interchange those two connectors which will allow you to see if its a board problem.

#5 7 years ago

both:

GI-string#4_wpc95.jpgGI-string#4_wpc95.jpg

#6 7 years ago

The repair costs more than the machine is Worth, i'll just do you a favor and pay for shipping to get it out of your hair.

Awesome machine, scared stiff is definitely on my short lust. I hope the repair is something very simple. Good luck!

#7 7 years ago

Thanks inhomearcades , playmatic and zaza.

I have interchanged the connectors and the lights illuminate the same way (top GI string in the translight works and bottom one does not. I checked continuity of the green / green white striped wire from the connector to the translight and it checked out okay. Maybe next step is to check that the pin is making contact in the connector but I really doubt that is the issue because everything looks in pristine condition. It looks like the GI lights go through some kind of triac (aI assume for dimming). Maybe the triac is bad? I dont even know where it is because it appears that the sting has a direct connection to the power driver board. Hmmm....

Thanks,
Casey

PS. Playmatic, I LOVE my scared stiff machine. It is huge fun playing this and all of elvira's little comments are hilarious. This one came restored from Treasure Cove (Allen Shoppe). They did a beautiful job on the restoration.

#8 7 years ago

Lights working again! Re-seated the green / white&green wire in connector J106. Thank you SO much for everyone's help with this.
The knowledge from the people on this forum is fantastic.

Casey

IMG_2514_(resized).JPGIMG_2514_(resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

£ 38.00
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
£ 39.00
£ 37.00
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 249.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

£ 38.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-backbox-1-whole-string-of-lights-are-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.