You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ctcc_logo_2.jpg
SS-Pinball-score.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Q:

Does anyone have a scared stiff they've owned for a good long time? How long did it take you to get bored with it? I've played one and enjoyed it. Rules seem simple to understand but is it challenging enough after a month or so to justify keeping it around?

#2 10 years ago

I've had mine in a 4 pin lineup for over a year now and it’s still fun to play and gets played regularly. Hopefully that helps. I'm sure there are some that got bored with it quick but, there are people here that get bored with even the deepest games quickly.

#3 10 years ago

I haven't owned it, and likely won't. It's not deep, looks great, but has always seemed too simple and repetitive.

Who doesn't love Elvira though? I want to like the machine. I wish updated roms were made for this and MB.

#4 10 years ago

Had and sold two of them then collected up a new PF and a box full of NOS parts to build a really nice one to keep.
The price of blown out base games got to the point I sold off most of the parts.
For what they are going for now I wouldn't own it again and have moved on to other games.

#5 10 years ago

It is fairly shallow for a small collection, but it is also boat loads of FUN. It is very much like Monster Bash in this respect. I have had the game for about 5 years now and it was the 5th game I purchased. I did initially get pretty bored with it after about a year and came close to selling at one point. I'm glad I didn't, because it still gets tons of play when people come over and I have come to appreciate it more now that my collection has grown. It's just all around a great machine. An ehanced ruleset could make it one of the greatest games ever.

#6 10 years ago

Have had ours for about 8 yrs now and even though it's a fairly easy game it still around and gets played the most by visiters then any other game in the line up. We currently are down from approx 20 games to 10 and it's still here.

#7 10 years ago

I guess I've had mine for 2 years and it's a really fun pin. Like others have said it's not difficult, but I prefer those pins...

#8 10 years ago

It is a really fun pin, but gets boring in a small collection very fast.
It was one of my first pins and at the time my only pin, it left after 3 months of owning it.
Do love to play a game on it when I come by one though

#9 10 years ago

Well, I'm biased to say the least. I've owned one for over 15 years and it's never going anywhere. It's definitely not deep, but it is fun. Some compare it to MB, but I've owned MB two different times now and don't miss that one at all.

I honestly can't name *any* game I've owned that doesn't get boring after a while. That's the beauty of a larger collection, some of which is stored at any given time. It allows you to rotate games every so often to keep it fresh.

#10 10 years ago

It's a great looking pin. I looked at a couple locally that were for sale. I enjoy simple easy to understand games over the pins with deep rules. IMO it just seems like this title is over priced right now. If you can find a nice example for under $5.5k I say pull the trigger this game is a blast to play. I recommend spending sometime with this pin before buying I can understand after awhile the call outs could get under your nerves.

#11 10 years ago

Fantastic game. I'm on my 3rd in 7 years. ALWAYS fun to play, great looking and lots of cool mods!
...as Robert said...ANY game will get boring if its the only one you have...

#12 10 years ago

I too agree that it isn't particularly deep as people normally use that term regarding pins, but people need to realize that there is more of a challenge to SS than just completing the Stiff-o-Meter (which never gets boring!). Completing the Spider Wheel is the real challenge of the pin.

SS shoots great, has really good flow, and great humor (subjective, but I love it).

Still consider my GC score on SS to be one that I'm most proud of.

SS-Pinball-score.jpgSS-Pinball-score.jpg

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#15 10 years ago

Rob you should try playing without the settings on easy and on 3 ball.

No really, that score is ridiculous. A decent game for me is about a 10th of that score and my best is a 4th of it. If I was running up scores like that, I would have sold mine as well.

#16 10 years ago

I've had mine since 1999. I think it's a great game but at this point it is one of the games I play the least. I think I just got bored with it. I'm not sure I'm bored of it enough to part with it though because when I think of maybe offering it for sale/trade I can't bring myself to put it out there in fear of regretting getting rid of it. When I host our league or have parties it gets a lot of play from people other than me.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyd044:

IMO it just seems like this title is over priced right now.

Name one title that ISN'T!

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Name one title that ISN'T!

Flip Flop?

I think I'd be fine if SS were that pin (or one of a couple) in my collection that I kept around because it's a hit with visitors. I have two spots freeing up so maybe SS can fill one of 'em.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Rob you should try playing without the settings on easy and on 3 ball.
No really, that score is ridiculous. A decent game for me is about a 10th of that score and my best is a 4th of it. If I was running up scores like that, I would have sold mine as well.

It really was an unbelievable game. Every ball was a good one, and I got every possible extra ball available. Completed Stiff O Meter twice (almost made it three times) and completed the Spider Wheel.

My wife left to go do some grocery shopping while I was playing, came back 40 minutes later and said "are you still playing that game"?! I told her that it was still the same game I was playing when she left!

Like I said, in terms of score, I think it's my best on any pin I've had. It's all relative of course, but I just know that this game in particular was very special, and kept going and going...even more so than when I got to Valinor on LOTR.

#20 10 years ago

I have one and really enjoy it. If is fairly easy to get to scared stiff, but I have not completed the spider wheel yet.

Maybe one day someone will do a Scared Stiff Continued and add some modes / depth.... Maybe there could be a TV feature mode.... it could feature different horror movie (or TV show) themes everytime you make it to scared stiff.... or maybe the pops could give you power to turn on the TV..., you get some new TV mod. Just dreaming as I have no talent to be able to pull it off. Given the progress on Cactus Caynon Continued, I think Scared stiff would be a great next pin to tackle... has everything but deep rules.

#21 10 years ago

Had mine over ten years.... Still like to play it, But I like Elvira and horror movies.... It is a keeper for me! When people who aren't in the hobby see it, they have to play. Real attention getter. One of the crown jewels in my collection for sure. Wont be selling it anytime soon.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from ataritoday:

Maybe one day someone will do a Scared Stiff Continued

Scared Stiff Sustained?

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Jimmydred:

Had mine over ten years.... Still like to play it, But I like Elvira and horror movies.... It is a keeper for me! When people who aren't in the hobby see it, they have to play. Real attention getter. One of the crown jewels in my collection for sure. Wont be selling it anytime soon.

yeah totally agree, ST is still a great game and one I think you would go back to.

#24 10 years ago

Jimmy nice avatar! You in our Cigar Club??

ctcc_logo_2.jpgctcc_logo_2.jpg

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

score on SS to be one that I'm most proud of

Wow ,nice score Rob. I have almost the exact same on mine. Mine's missing one digit though.

SS is a keeper for me also. Great looking pin, fun to play, great callouts, and the non pinheads that come over love it.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from DEWSHO:

Scared Stiff Sustained?

Scared Stiff Sequel?

#27 10 years ago

Scared Stiffer...

#28 10 years ago

Great game, theme, play, jokes. I have had it for years but on a good size collection. When I got it o knew what most said. You get tired quick, but easy to sell again. Then most said. they missed it and bought itback again.

#29 10 years ago

Too great to get bored IMO.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

£ 37.00
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 249.00
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 49.00
8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.