Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Atomicboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

My Fish Tales has a large piece of mylar over the main open portion of the playfield. There is absolutely no wear on the playfield or inserts due to this mylar. I would like to remove the mylar but am afraid of lifting inserts and ruining everything. That would be my luck. Would it be best to just leave it? Anybody do this to a Fish Tales?

#2 12 years ago

Why do you want to remove it? Is it interfering or looking bad? My vote is always if not broke don't fix it. post a pic or two for review.

#3 12 years ago

is the mylar bubbling or in bad condition? I would just leave it.

#4 12 years ago

Freeze spray and plenty of it, followed by lots of Goo Gone and elbow grease to remove the residue.

I had to remove the mylar from my right orbital because it kept causing SDTM drains. Everything went fine until I ran low on freeze spray near the end and wound up lifting a small section of paint.

#5 12 years ago

Get a few plastic razorblades and a can of freeze spray and try a small section. Practice on the smaller sections before hitting the larger ones. You might want to have a bottle of GooGone handy to put down as you spray to help remove the glue.

#6 12 years ago

I concur with the guys above, leave it unless it is bubbling really badly. It is there for a reason and it is protecting your playfield.

IF you need to remove it, it really isn't that hard to do. Just get a can of air duster and flip it upside down to use it as freeze spray.

This is a decent tutorial.

I find that moving faster than the video author works better. What looks like the mylar "freezing" is actually the fluid evaporating (i.e. warming up) But this method works incredibly well. I de mylared a portion of my f-14 without losing even one flake of color. and it is far older than your FT.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#8 12 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Freeze spray and plenty of it, followed by lots of Goo Gone and elbow grease to remove the residue.

This. I would stay away from razors, as they can scrape at the edges. I use a very flat, but strong piece of plastic, and I round the corners. There is hardly any elbow grease involved when doing it like this.

Remove it though, especially on diamond PFs - it looks ugly and is not needed. Lots of freeze spray though, especially around inserts. Do not pull around inserts, let the FS do the work for you, or you could lift an area.

#9 12 years ago

Steve, before attemtping to remove the mylar try the Treasure Cove compounds. I have used it on mylar with great results. Wally

#10 12 years ago

Hey Steve,
Was that the game that popped up recently on Mr. Pinball in NYC? Damn, I was really excited to see a FT with factory mylar on it.

I know how you feel though. I can't stand mylar on a PF and prefer to remove, polish and clear coat.
I've always had pretty good luck with nothing but a super-sharp glass scraper with new blade. I get a corner up and start to pull gently as I work the blade bewteen the mylar and playfield. The resulting guck comes off with naptha/lighter fluid. The other techniques are fine too.
I wouldn't do this on an older game, but for FT you should be fine.

#11 12 years ago

I had to remove the mylar from my right orbital because it kept causing SDTM drains. Everything went fine until I ran low on freeze spray near the end and wound up lifting a small section of paint.

I will third this. No worries on diamond plate PFs with Freeze spray...just take your time and use as much as you need to. Cost of FS cans is much cheaper than new PFs!

Only PFs that lifted any art work at all were old Ballys, for me. Did many, many DMD era PF Mylar removal without any artwork loss.

#12 12 years ago

I will fourth this. Worked super easy on my TAF, but I ended up following with adhesive remover I got from Pin Restore, because the Goo Gone was taking me forever. Goo Gone was working though.

#13 12 years ago

Ha I love it.

#14 12 years ago

If your scared take that as a warning. I wouldnt feel confident in doing it.

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

I've always had pretty good luck with nothing but a super-sharp glass scraper with new blade. I get a corner up and start to pull gently as I work the blade bewteen the mylar and playfield.

No offense to your process Drano, but doing this over inserts is very risky for pulling up the insert decals, or having the decal fog. You can get away with some "pulling" over none decalled areas, but you really have to freeze spray the everlovinghelloutofit over decals, and let that do the separation.

A full mylar overlay can come up in seconds with freeze spray. About another hour for the glue (on diamond cleared PFs at least).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Herndon, VA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 49.99
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Hardware
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC
Other
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-sless-to-remove-the-mylar-from-my-fish-tales and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.