Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by pinzrfun
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Beware of underpriced games. Watch for new accounts, and ask for an address where you can come and see the game. Even if it is thousands of miles away. When they don't respond after that, report the ad. I've caught 2 of them so fsr, unfortunately one wasn't in time before someone got scammed out of $4K+. Indiana Jones has been the game both times. The pinside webmaster (Robin) has deleted both accounts, and is continuing to work on making it harder for these idiots.

#2 6 years ago

Bastards.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks to all that reported scammers it everywhere. To many good people on here hate to see this happen to anyone.

#4 6 years ago

Who's the person to whom you would report a scammer to?

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from snowvictim:

Who's the person to whom you would report a scammer to?

Either make an abuse report for a suspect ad / post, or open a mod feedback thread. We will investigate... and block the scammer if necessary.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lark:

Beware of underpriced games. Watch for new accounts, and ask for an address where you can come and see the game. Even if it is thousands of miles away. When they don't respond after that, report the ad. I've caught 2 of them so fsr, unfortunately one wasn't in time before someone got scammed out of $4K+. Indiana Jones has been the game both times. The pinside webmaster (Robin) has deleted both accounts, and is continuing to work on making it harder for these idiots.

Some of these scams are using stolen pictures from Craig's List. I had my pics of my TAFG stolen there. And if you think you can post an ad on there with no pics so they wont get stolen think again! The scammer will just email you and pretend to be an interested party, then ask for high resolution photos. You can guess what happens next. I got lucky, I had a guy in the UK email me and tell me that someone was trying to sell him my game. The only way to prevent this piracy is to tag all your pics. There are entities on line that will do that for you for a small cost.

#7 6 years ago

Couple recently on Mr Pinball with a IJ & TZ..

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

Some of these scams are using stolen pictures from Craig's List. I had my pics of my TAFG stolen there. And if you think you can post an ad on there with no pics so they wont get stolen think again! The scammer will just email you and pretend to be an interested party, then ask for high resolution photos. You can guess what happens next. I got lucky, I had a guy in the UK email me and tell me that someone was trying to sell him my game. The only way to prevent this piracy is to tag all your pics. There are entities on line that will do that for you for a small cost.

20/20 hindsight, but always watermark your pics.

There's a few free online sites to do it.

#9 6 years ago

Good luck protecting yourself!! I've just heard of one.A B66SLE was sold as nib for $15500!! Only thing,this pin has been out ON ROUTE in a Bar, for a year now!!

#10 6 years ago

People also have to hold themselves responsible. Scammers are never going away.

In other words, don't be stupid.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

20/20 hindsight, but always watermark your pics.

Learning always is..... The fact of the matter is some people are vulnerable because they haven't been scammed or they just don't know that they are being victimized. Educate yourself on what can hurt you. I just thought that it was pretty bold to contact me directly for the pics and then use them to scam people.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

To add to this... it’s not like this is a new thing either. I mean a $3900 IJ?????? Come on right. If that’s not screaming instant scammer I don’t know what is lol. Vid made a whole guide on how to not get taken.

#13 6 years ago

So what about a $4200 IJ?

Yesterday around 6am CST I inquired about a listing in the pinside market for a $4200 IJ.

The seller does not speak good English nor does he have a "standard" cell number. Its some Google voice thing. Anyhow, he has stated that pickup would be okay, along with PayPal. Albeit it seems he wants to ship if possible.

If this guy sends me photos with dated and priced pieces of paper on them, is it worth it to continue the conversation via email? I have people in that town which can go see it ultimately. What do you guys think?

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

My momma always says "stupid is as stupid does" Bryan

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from tbutler6:

Yesterday around 6am CST I inquired about a listing in the pinside market for a $4200 IJ.
    The seller does not speak good English nor does he have a "standard" cell number. Its some Google voice thing. Anyhow, he has stated that pickup would be okay, along with PayPal. Albeit it seems he wants to ship if possible.
    If this guy sends me photos with dated and priced pieces of paper on them, is it worth it to continue the conversation via email? I have people in that town which can go see it ultimately. What do you guys think?

No such thing as a 4200 indy.
    Scam...just not going to be that lucky.
    If it sounds to good to be true, well then, why even email or call?

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from tbutler6:

Albeit it seems he wants to ship if possible.

This seems like a red flag. Does anybody ever prefer to ship if possible?

#17 6 years ago

Ask for address and tell them you're sending your Pinside friend over to check it out (which you should do anyway). Ask for more pictures, of specific things on the pin (back box with glass removed showing boards, etc.)

Good luck and be smart.

Btw, I just posted my near-mint TOM for $2400. My wife just got home from the hospital and I need to pay some med bills quick. don't have any pics yet. Paypal address is [email protected]. First to pay gets it.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from tbutler6:

I spoke to him days ago. Same thing but no answer when I asked when I could come with cash. Reported to Mr Pinball as a scam but ad is still up

#19 6 years ago

Thanks for everyones help.
    Fully prepared to terminate communication. I hate the idea of being a jerk to someone who could be legitimate. The language barrier makes if even harder to do that.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

I spoke to him days ago. Same thing but no answer when I asked when I could come with cash. Reported to Mr Pinball as a scam but ad is still up

Wow, ok thanks Butch

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

No such thing as a 4200 indy.
    Scam...just not going to be that lucky.
    If it sounds to good to be true, well then, why even email or call?

I don't think 4200 is out of question for an IJ, and yes, you CAN get that lucky.

Several months ago I got a Who Dunnit, an El Toro, and 2 video games - for $500. Guy had sold his house, made a ton of money, needed the games out and didn't care what he got for them.

That being said, when I've bought games out of state I've sent the check to the freight company and asked them to give to the seller when they pick up the game.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scammers-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.