(Topic ID: 190721)

Scammer question

By HOOKED

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

that_poor_dog.jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Ok so a guy txt me and asks if I still have my machine and how much from a Mr Pinball ad. Thinking it was a scam I stuck to stated price. He text a few more times and asks for my address so he can send a check. I bite- ok only that "I will contact you when it clears" and he agrees. So my curiosity perks up a bit. Four days go buy nothing - thought he just let it go. Day five the check shows up and the sender paid Priority mail. Ok interest in whats in the package. So I opened it and just one little check in there...cool ...no wait its for more than stated price.
    So I text him back asking if he needs it on a pallet...no response.

Its the classic over pay then wanting to pick it up before the check clears right? But I know he paid $7 shipping and it was shipped from the same zip as he wanted it shipped to. Just odd. Now the check is a fake because its drawn on a school account in SC and the machine is slated to go to CA. Just wondering if others have had a similar encounter as of late.

#2 6 years ago

100% scam OR 100% a buyer you dont want to deal with.

#3 6 years ago

Scam

#4 6 years ago

I am going to go with,SCAM.

#5 6 years ago

Since it involves US bank accounts and addresses, I would report it to law enforcement and see if they want to pursue it. At the least they could get the accounts locked down.

#6 6 years ago

Yea man......cash is king....

#7 6 years ago

How much did they overpay? Usually they want the difference wired back to them, and that was all they wanted in the first place.

#9 6 years ago

He probably used a stolen credit card to send the Priority mail. My wife credit card was used for something similar a few years ago.

#10 6 years ago

The check is no good, if you do what he asked you to do he will be long gone with your game or the refund of his overpayment by the time you get a letter from your bank saying the check bounced.

#11 6 years ago

Never thought about the shipping lable being paid with a stolen cc or shipping account .

#12 6 years ago

Even if he paid $7 out of his own pocket it wouldn't make a difference. If I was a criminal I would have no problem throwing down $7 a dozen or so times until I hooked one. It's just a cost of doing (criminal) business.

#13 6 years ago

Is there anything that can go wrong if you deposit and wait for it to clear (actually clear, not just funds available)?
    This is a scam, not trying to convince you otherwise, just curious.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Adams:

Is there anything that can go wrong if you deposit and wait for it to clear

Some banks are tired of this and may have you arrested when you try to deposit it. It may take two or three weeks before your bank lets you know you owe them a lot of money. And may close your account. And likely flag your account for extra scrutiny every time you put money in or take out. Could hurt your relationship with the bank if you had a good one.

Other than that, probably no.

LTG : )

#15 6 years ago

So your plan is to mess with somebody that you don't know but he knows who you are, where you live, and your cell phone number?

Can you just humor me and make a short list of good outcomes for you.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

If I was a criminal I would have no problem throwing down $7 a dozen or so times until I hooked one.

Indeed. They just fish for that one that bites. My last scammer interaction (that I know of):
    that_poor_dog.jpgthat_poor_dog.jpg

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from HOOKED:

Its the classic over pay then wanting to pick it up before the check clears right?

It's the classic wire me back the over payment, you can ship after the payment clears.

Don't use your real address for scammers. Sometimes they are using unwitting mules for pickup. Nothing good can can come from them having your address. If you irritate them they'll use it as their return address for other scams and you'll have angry victims on your doorstep.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Adams:

Is there anything that can go wrong if you deposit and wait for it to clear

Your bank will charge you a $30 bounced check fee.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Some banks are tired of this and may have you arrested when you try to deposit it.

That is why you always use a credit union, they very rarely have their customers arrested. They take their $30 fee and are happy, lol.

#20 6 years ago

No way would I try to deposit without calling the bank drawn on first ...but in this case the check is missing the water mark so its not worth the phone call.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

Indeed. They just fish for that one that bites. My last scammer interaction (that I know of):

Best laugh I've had in a long time.. Thanks!

#22 6 years ago

I would think the institution might only have you arrested on the spot if it's an obviously fake cashier's check.

These scammers can be highly skilled at bs, often employing stories involving a sick relative or sudden military deployment to garner sympathy and lower your guard.

The usual sequence of the scam is:

1. Scammer sends fake c.c. or m.o. or stolen check, often made out for more than agreed price.
    2. Seller deposits it
    3. Check "clears" and funds are available
    4. Seller wires excess to scammer and ships item, or includes excess in cash with shipped item, assuming scammer even really wants item (ship to address may be phony)
    5. Check bounces, found out to be fraudulent or stolen, even weeks or months later
    6. Bank gets money back from seller, seller is out money and item
    7. Seller may incur further legal hassles if presumed to be the one doing the scamming! Never a bad idea to keep receipts!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scammer-question?hl=adams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.