Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by bigehrl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Wanted to alert the community of a potential scammer on here, user GAMETIME. I posted a wanted ad in the classified section for a Junk Yard, he messaged me asking if I have been in contact with a seller yet. I replied no and asked if he had a machine and he said yeah and asked for my number to talk on the phone. At first things seemed pretty normal, the only cautious sign for me at first was his time on the forums, he has only been on the forums for 11 days as of today, 7 days when he contacted me with zero posts.

His real name is Jason Larson (not sure if that is his real name, but that's what his profile and email address show), has a heavy Asian accent. He lives in Gillette, WY, again per his profile. I asked for pictures of the pin, a picture with a piece of paper with my name on it placed on top of the pin and I asked for a video of the pin working, to which he said no problem to all of it. I got a video that first night we talked, really quick turnaround on the video but the pics were taking forever to get. I kept asking for pics, he said he would get them but never did. He then mentioned that the pin wasn't at his house and it was at his other apartment not close to his work. Then he said the pin was at his families house and his apt was near by. So when I asked how he got me a video so quick and can't get me pics within a reasonable time he said he was in the area at that time and got me the video. So at this point I'm feeling this is a scam, nothing is adding up.

This past Saturday morning I went to YouTube and just searched for Junk Yard pin videos and I scroll down the page and low and behold, the same video he sent me (as an MP4 file) is posted on YouTube for the past 3 years!

So apparently he must have ripped the video and claimed it as his. I called him out on the video and he acted shocked and wanted me to send him the link so he can check it out. Of course I did and haven't heard from him since then.

I don't want anyone to get scammed so I'm posting this to alert everyone. Be careful out there guys!!

Scott

#2 6 years ago

Thanks for the heads up, theres a lot of scammers here lately

#3 6 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully the Mods delete his account on here.

#4 6 years ago

I had one from Wy try to get me on a WCS94 two weeks ago. Sounds like a similar situation and he had “gamer” in his name too. Hmmmm

#5 6 years ago

Same here. He had a WPT and even offered me a money back guarantee!
    No one calls at 6:30 am to sell a pin.

#6 6 years ago

Yeah he offered to pay for return shipping if I wasn’t satisfied with the condition of the pin. Was bummed that I got excited about getting the machine I wanted but glad I caught the scam before I sent any money.

Scott

#7 6 years ago

Thanks for letting us know. After investigating, the account has been banned.

If anyone ever encounters fishy behavior or something that might seem scammy, please let us know--even if you're not sure. You can contact us privately by opening a moderator feedback thread if you're not certain enough about it to want to call attention to it publicly. It's better to let us know so we can look into it, rather than to let it pass and have someone else fall for a potential scam. Nobody will get in trouble for reporting a possible issue/scammer, and it benefits everyone when you're vigilant about it. Thanks

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If anyone ever encounters fishy behavior or something that might seem scammy, please let us know--even if you're not sure. You can contact us privately by opening a moderator feedback thread if you're not certain enough about it to want to call attention to it publicly. It's better to let us know so we can look into it, rather than to let it pass and have someone else fall for a potential scam. Nobody will get in trouble for reporting a possible issue/scammer, and it benefits everyone when you're vigilant about it. Thanks

Any chance new accounts can be force to make a forum ad with their machines so others can comment? Could assist in reducing this type of issue as the community can help weed out too.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

And please remember to report any suspicious or unattended packages. If you see something, say something.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Any chance new accounts can be force to make a forum ad with their machines so others can comment? Could assist in reducing this type of issue as the community can help weed out too.

I'd rather have people using the report button on an ad to report scammers, instead of forcing every new Pinsider to open a forum thread with their ad.

By the way, the "hole" this scammer used to get around our verification checks has been plugged last week. It's a constant battle but ultimately I hope scammers will just give up bothering Pinside members

#11 6 years ago

Thanks for taking care of this, really depressing with the amount of scammers out there right now trying to screw over good people trying to enjoy their hobby

Scott

#12 6 years ago

if i only had a dollar for every person i knew with a heavy Asian accent, living in Wyoming, that collects pinball machines.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scammer-alert-buyer-beware-user-gametime?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.