Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by vid1900
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1-1967-ford-mustang-fastback (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    Deal-or-No-Deal (resized).jpg
    o1o1 (resized).jpg
    o1o1 (resized).jpg
    how-to-get-a-medical-marijuana-card-in-California (resized).jpg
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Has anyone dealt with people from Minnesota who sells pinball machines for pretty low prices but some games are a little beat up. Some a lot beat up. I believe they buy their games oversees in any condition. Scam or no scam? The person I'm dealing with is Chris. I saw they had some ads on Craigslist. They want some money up front and full payment with delivery. The guy comes from California because I asked to see a license. Your thoughts? Has anyone dealt with them?

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from rtotans:

The guy comes from California because I asked to see a license.

Is this the guy?

how-to-get-a-medical-marijuana-card-in-California (resized).jpghow-to-get-a-medical-marijuana-card-in-California (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

Some money up front= may never be seen again? Dunno about that. Are they giving you pics to judge from or probably not due to machines are not in their possession? Guy comes from Cali kinda screams overseas container. Be cautious.
    -Mike

#4 6 years ago

What games do you see that are cheap on CL in Minnesota? At this time we have lots EM games that are under $1,000, but I’m not seeing any great bargains.

#5 6 years ago

Sounds like a scam already to me. Unless you can go and see the game(s) yourself and in person, steer clear. Anyone asking for money up front is usually a scammer.

As a lot of people on this site have said, "cash on the glass".

#6 6 years ago

Not from the picture. Another guy name was Sean. It's tough because how is a person suppose to deliver something several pinball games for over a thousand miles and not get paid something. Then he's at risk. However paying someone over Craigslist money is concerning. I just don't know. They had pictures. A lot of the games were really in bad shape. Some ok. He did tell me to come out and take a look at the games in person but that's a far distance. Is he just playing the scam game?

#7 6 years ago

They did give pictures. Lots

#8 6 years ago

Got any last names? I know a Chris and Shawn that are big into arcade games and restoring them. They have sometimes dealt with pinball machines and Chris gets loads of games and parts from operators. Where are they located in MN? I could go look at them for you if they are in the Twin Cities area.

#9 6 years ago

Setting aside the advisability of buying sight-unseen, I wouldn't send thousands of dollars to a random guy on Craigslist without significant assurances. As in several recent references from verified pinball people. Without that, you are setting yourself up for disaster. The "cash up front" thing seems fishy as well -- if you were selling to some random guy from the internet, wouldn't you want full payment in irrevocable form before you shipped a game?

If you're going to do this, demand references and check them out. Also, maybe see if you can find a local Pinsider to check out the games (and the guy) for you. That still wouldn't verify that he'll actually ship them of course, but they could at least confirm that the games actually exist and that they're in roughly the condition described to you.

Quoted from o-din:

Is this the guy?

On a lighter note, looks like your medicine is agreeing with you there, o-din! Can you also use that card to cash checks at Ralph's?

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Can you also use that card to cash checks at Ralph's?

No, but it gets me a discount at a Holiday Inn Express.

#11 6 years ago

Chris beard

#12 6 years ago

Sounds like escrow could be good for you:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide#post-1813455

Reading the six posts ahead of it is also advised.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Is this the guy?

Your cards expired

#14 6 years ago

He got stoned and missed it.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Some money up front= may never be seen again? Dunno about that. Are they giving you pics to judge from or probably not due to machines are not in their possession? Guy comes from Cali kinda screams overseas container. Be cautious.
    -Mike

He gave me pictures, some were really bad shape, some not so much. He gave me more pictures after asking that I want more pics. I hate doing it, but I would love to by reasonable prices. I'm so confused. He did send me a pic of his license to prove that his name was his real name that he told me. Obvious I told him to scratch out his address. This way if its a scam I have his license. the picture of the guy is down below.

o1o1 (resized).jpgo1o1 (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago

This is the guys picture. Anyone have ever bought from him? His partner is Sean. Or is he a scammer?

o1o1 (resized).jpgo1o1 (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago

Photo looks legit. I mean, California still allows colander hats in drivers license photos, right o-din?

Also his last name is Vannote, middle appear to be Beard.

#18 6 years ago

No way. Wearing a hat for your license,since when is that allowed in any state.
    Walk away. If you continue don't cry when you lose your money.
    -Mike

#19 6 years ago

Google is name, born 1980,likes to get in trouble with law enforcement. Likes to record alot for youtube.
    Do your due diligence!
    -Mike

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from rtotans:

This is the guys picture. Anyone have ever bought from him? His partner is Sean. Or is he a scammer?

Looks like John Bender with a scuzz beard.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

No way. Wearing a hat for your license,since when is that allowed in any state.
    Walk away. If you continue don't cry when you lose your money.
    -Mike

That is not a hat. That is part fi his religion. The FSM.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

That is not a hat. That is part fi his religion. The FSM.

Ok, had to google it but that's kind of awesome. I now like this guy (but I still wouldn't buy from him without a bunch of references).

#23 6 years ago

also, 100% a scam. That pic of a DL has been around the internet for a LONG time.

#24 6 years ago

Definitely a scam. Anytime you ask for a picture like that, ask them to write your username and the date on a piece of paper next to it.

#25 6 years ago

Just buy games in person. Why are people so naive?

#26 6 years ago

Scam! Never buy site unseen, or send a deposit! If it was a fellow Pinsider that has been here for years with a great rep. & the distance was too great to travel, & the pin was being shipped after looking at several pics. That would be a different story.

#27 6 years ago

Yes, Run as fast as you can from this one Forest!..........

#28 6 years ago

For what it's worth... the ID in the photo was the topic of discussion on a different message board going back to 2015. The people who posted that image seemed to post it as an example, meaning that image was publicly available and was not posted by Christopher himself.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1912169-Hijabs

#29 6 years ago

Looked at the photo you posted and the photo posted on that website and noticed that the orange crossing out is the same. The only difference is that in your photo, he crossed off even more in the lower left to cover the watermark of friendlyatheist.com. I believe your photo looks slightly darker because your photo is a photo of somebody's computer screen.

That ID also appears on this site (http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2014/07/21/another-pastafarian-gets-his-drivers-license-with-a-colander-on-his-head/)

The image on that site has the same cross out patterns.

#30 6 years ago

SCAM! Run! Save Yourself!

#31 6 years ago

If you have to ask....whats your gut say?
    Hats are not allowed on Ca Driv Lic.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

If you have to ask....whats your gut say?
    Hats are not allowed on Ca Driv Lic.

This guy was allowed for religious reasons. The ID is real. But the guy trying to scam OP is probably not the guy who the ID belongs to.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2014/07/21/another-pastafarian-gets-his-drivers-license-with-a-colander-on-his-head/

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from rtotans:

Has anyone dealt with people from Minnesota who sells pinball machines for pretty low prices but some games are a little beat up. Some a lot beat up. I believe they buy their games oversees in any condition. Scam or no scam? The person I'm dealing with is Chris. I saw they had some ads on Craigslist. They want some money up front and full payment with delivery. The guy comes from California because I asked to see a license. Your thoughts? Has anyone dealt with them?

Do you have a link to what machines/ads you're referring to? This might help us locals identify

minneapolis.craigslist.org link

#34 6 years ago

now that we had confirmed as scam, time to have some fun with the correspondance and share it here

#35 6 years ago

Thanks everyone. My biggest issue is that I don't usually trust anybody. I never fell for a scam yet, however I was definitely intrigued with this guy, I'm not going to lie. He did a good job making it was real. He actually told me to fly down and take a look for myself. He actually said a pinball that I wanted was sold, then 2 days later I added some pins to my list and he said one of them was sold. I'm not going to lie, he was convincing. ( I know these guys do it for a living) heck I used to work in NYC. lol. He also showed me pictures where the game was very beat up, so I figured if it was a scam, why show that some of these games were beat up. Here is where I was a sketchy. I said what about the games are broken, or not as described? He said he would give me 2 days to pay and if anything was wrong, I could send back right away with the driver right then, and if I found out afterwards, the game was broken he would just deduct the money from what I owed. So basically I wouldn't have to pay for 2 days afterwards. who would want to do that? I just can't afford some of these higher more expensive games, and with him, it was doable. Hence why I asked Pinside for help. Thanks!

#36 6 years ago

Wow. Why wouldn't a scammer use a more convincing license photo?

FSM is awesome though. Hah.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from rtotans:

My biggest issue is that I don't usually trust anybody

That's a good start. Scumbag until proven not a scumbag.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Wow. Why wouldn't a scammer use a more convincing license photo?
    FSM is awesome though. Hah.

There's a theory that scammers are often intentionally shady -- using terrible grammar and suspect stories -- to screen out the mildly intelligent before sinking the hook. Saves them time on the back end, since you don't want the dope you've invested hours in fleecing to wake up before he mails that check.

#39 6 years ago

So they just asked me to send the deposit through money gram instead through The name they wanted me to me it out to was Vermeer muller. Lol. Does that name ring a bell to anyone? I'm not doing it, but.....

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from rtotans:

So they just asked me to send the deposit through money gram instead through The name they wanted me to me it out to was Vermeer muller. Lol. Does that name ring a bell to anyone? I'm not doing it, but.....

Keep leading them on.
    This could be fun.
    Ask for address, phone numbers etcc.

#41 6 years ago

Tell them you sent it, but that you had to send more than they were requesting because you could only send in blocks of $1,000. Ask them to wire you back the difference when they get the money...............lol

#42 6 years ago

There are entire websites dedicated to people who mess with scammers. Funny reading...

#43 6 years ago

His address is 52nd ave Minneapolis Minnesota 55401

#44 6 years ago

I saw an ad on cl in the Long Island section. Sounds like this guy.

I saw "money transfer " and said cash works, right?". We corresponded a while until he said I could look at the merchandise in MN.

I wrote back " MN - Montana? "

Last I heard from him.

No transfer was ever happening unless it was hand to hand.

#45 6 years ago

Tell him you now have a friend that lives close by, and that he is willing to go over and check out the machine before finalizing the deal. Will be interesting to see if he then changes the location where the machine is "actually at". Or if he comes up with some other bs reply.

#46 6 years ago

Every time I see the thread title when scrolling down through the Pinside Forum list, what always pops into my mind is:

Deal-or-No-Deal (resized).jpgDeal-or-No-Deal (resized).jpg

Your story sounds like it's a No Deal.

1 week later
    #47 6 years ago

Any resolution on this? I was currently in process of purchasing some pins for Vermeer Muller

#49 6 years ago

I was in talks with this guy also but when I had a pinsider agree to come look at the games in person for me, the communication stopped.

1 week later
    #50 6 years ago

Was dealing with this guy for almost a week. He went dark after I suggested an escrow service, except that he told me I was not serious about buying the pins, and that I'm crazy for not just wire transfering the money.

He also tried to tell me I was trying to scam him by asking for his driver's licence, because I was going to try and pose as him and fraudulently sell pins.

I think some harassment is in order.

Two emails I got from him are;

[email protected]

[email protected]

Phone he called me on is 612-500-0231, called me to tell me that since he was sending me a product there was no way he could be scamming me, and if I sent the money, the pins were on their way.

Lets let him know that pinballers don't like scammers

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scam-or-no-scam?hl=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.