• 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by FYMF
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8C446FA0-33AE-4B4A-A72F-F23A636868A2 (resized).jpeg
There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

It still sucks and if anyone knows this assclown scammer, please out him.

Chances are, he's not even actually in the US.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

What if I sell a game to someone and they pay me via Credit card through paypal. They get the game, then issue a chargeback? I'm asking because I am actually going through this right now with a buyer and I am nervous about him paying with CC through paypal then issuing a chargeback.

I would never sell a game and accept PayPal or any other form of credit. Too much risk. Vid has a great guide out there for how to safely do business as a seller, everyone should review it.

#53 4 years ago

Sorry to hear you can't get it back. If I'm in your shoes I would be happy you had enough of a good instinct to pull back when you did otherwise you would be out 14k!

#54 4 years ago

You work hard for your money and have it stolen by a pos parasite.Is there any way to track him down.I would donate to a tracking fund.

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from locksmith:

You work hard for your money and have it stolen by a pos parasite.Is there any way to track him down.I would donate to a tracking fund.

Count me in for 50 to track this SOB.

#56 4 years ago

Damn shame it happens at all and even worse we couldn't set the B@st@rd up and have his ass arrested before he got thrown off the forum.

#57 4 years ago

I have successfully gotten money back from PP friends and family for something like this. I used a credit card and my CC company (chase) was able to chargeback and refund the money. That said, having learned from that incident, now if it's someone I don't trust or know, I don't use FF, I use goods and services and just add 3% to cover the fee.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from locksmith:

there is no way to track these kinds of scammers. they're invisible and move from place to place. Countless federal tax dollars are dedicated to fund the FBI's fraud division, and even they'll tell you, they rarely pin down the people they're looking for.

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Well, I believe the intention of friends and family is to give money to people you know for non-business transactions. They wave the transaction fees as a courtesy and probably to expand their customer base. If you are buying something from someone, especially from someone you don't know, it is a business transaction and should be subject to fees. It costs them money to process your transaction. If you are deceptively using their service in a way to avoid fees you are ripping them off. It's essentially theft of services. I actually really dislike using friends and family for purchases because if enough people abuse it they will take it away.

paypal, never charged a % before. They used to be always free. Until they merged with Ebay. when I signed up. paypal paid you to sign up with them. and every transaction was free. that's what I signed up for. If people don't want to send me money as a gift. Then they can send me check/m.o.'s. I give them other options if they don't like going that method.

#60 4 years ago

It costs them money to process your transaction. If you are deceptively using their service in a way to avoid fees you are ripping them off.

Poooor Paypal.

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Vid has a great guide out there for how to safely do business as a seller, everyone should review it.

Got a link? I am not seeing it.

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Got a link? I am not seeing it.

Figure it out. You have no issue finding and trolling my posts.

#63 4 years ago

Well, a very surprising and happy ending to this scam saga. My bank told me they were 99% sure they could stop the friends and family payment and could save the $2,000 for me. I didn’t see it last night, and saw the dollars leave my account, so just figured it was gone.
This afternoon, there the $2,000 is back in my account. I’m floored. I am currently working with the Glory House here in Sioux Falls, SD on a large fundraiser and am planning on giving most if not all of the funds to them, since I truly thought they were gone.
If anyone out there feels like I should share any more information on this individual scammer to ensure this doesn’t happen to anyone else, please let me know.
Finally, many of you know me and know I like to buy and sell pins. From now on, I’m a “Cash on the Glass” guy.
Thanks everyone.

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Figure it out. You have no issue finding and trolling my posts.

Such a class act.

#65 4 years ago

I was a longtime lurker before I began posting, I spent a lot of time educating myself in all aspects of the pinball life. One of first lessons I learned and which has stuck with me since was from Vid's guide. For the best protection as a buyer and seller, an online escrow service is the best. One company he mentioned was escrow.com. Makes sense. Basically, no money changes hands until all parties are satisfied.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Poooor Paypal.

Yeah my heart bleeds for them.

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Poooor Paypal.

They do provide an infrastructure for transfers of money and have employees they need to pay.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Count me in for 50 to track this SOB.

Quoted from locksmith:

I'll start one. All you guys need to do is send me the money via Paypal Friends and Family.

#69 4 years ago

LMAO!!!

Too soon.......

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I’m surprised people don’t consider it a red flag when their trading partner asks to cheat the payment processor.

It's not. You as the buyer pay the fee rather than the seller paying the fee.

Because I'm leery of F&F, I usually will calculate the cost to send the money the "regular" way and add enough in to compensate the buyer so they don't get less than they were expecting.

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

What about the seller's protection though?
What if I sell a game to someone and they pay me via Credit card through paypal. They get the game, then issue a chargeback? I'm asking because I am actually going through this right now with a buyer and I am nervous about him paying with CC through paypal then issuing a chargeback.

That is always a possibility. I would recommend having the buyer sign a bill of sale and you each get a copy. If the buyer issues a chargeback, you have clear evidence that they did so fraudulently.

A credit card chargeback is not an open and shut case immediately. The credit card company will do an investigation (maybe almost no investigation, maybe very involved depending on the situation). Ultimately, if you issue a chargeback for goods not delivered to you as a buyer, then the scammer would have no way to prove that he gave you anything. If a buyer fraudulently issues a chargeback against you for goods you delivered, then a bill of sale that they signed would combat this.

#72 4 years ago

They do provide an infrastructure for transfers of money and have employees they need to pay.

well then, how did they function for years when they didn't charge anything?

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

well then, how did they function for years when they didn't charge anything?

I'm sure it was a type of loss leader to gain market share. Like how hulu was completely free 10 years ago and they changed over to a subscription based system later. Neither was intended to be free forever, they were playing the long game and bleeding money the whole time.

#74 4 years ago

That is awesome in so many ways!

Quoted from CyberNinja24:

Well, a very surprising and happy ending to this scam saga. My bank told me they were 99% sure they could stop the friends and family payment and could save the $2,000 for me. I didn’t see it last night, and saw the dollars leave my account, so just figured it was gone.
This afternoon, there the $2,000 is back in my account. I’m floored. I am currently working my with the Glory House here in Sioux Falls, SD on a large fundraiser and am planning on giving most if not all of the funds to them, since I truly thought they were gone.
If anyone out there feels like I should share any more information on this individual scammer to ensure this doesn’t happen to anyone else, please let me know.
Finally, many of you know me and know I like to buy and sell pins. From now on, I’m a “Cash on the Glass” guy.
Thanks everyone.

#75 4 years ago

This afternoon, there the $2,000 is back in my account. I’m floored. I am currently working my with the Glory House here in Sioux Falls, SD on a large fundraiser and am planning on giving most if not all of the funds to them, since I truly thought they were gone.
Thanks everyone.

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier. But I always get at least 3 references from a buyer before sending them money. Or use escrow.com

#76 4 years ago

Give us a name! This douche needs found. You've got pinhead brothers all over the world that can assist before he screws someone else over.

#77 4 years ago

Well, I believe the intention of friends and family is to give money to people you know for non-business transactions. They wave the transaction fees as a courtesy and probably to expand their customer base. If you are buying something from someone, especially from someone you don't know, it is a business transaction and should be subject to fees. It costs them money to process your transaction. If you are deceptively using their service in a way to avoid fees you are ripping them off. It's essentially theft of services. I actually really dislike using friends and family for purchases because if enough people abuse it they will take it away.

You're paying for the protection, not the transaction fee. Costs Paypal practically nothing to draft it from a checking account.

They won't get rid of it because it would limit use of their service. Who's paying 3% to send fantasy football fees to their buddy? They offer that for free and then know you'll use them when you buy something on Ebay or an online store.

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from Gorgonzola:

Indeed.
No one wants to get ripped off, but it seems ripping off a payment service because they’re a large company is generally considered OK!

It is not ripping them off, it’s a different product that comes with a different service. The commission option comes with an insurance, up to the buyer to decide if he should pay for it or not, and it looks like he should have this time.

#79 4 years ago

He contacted me to purchase my Alien but was banned the next day lol. Sounds like he was gonna scam this guy for 14k then use it to buy my pin, that would have been very very bad.....

#80 4 years ago

Any transactions from Miami should be considered a red flag. Not saying everyone’s a crook, but....

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from Nethawk86:

He contacted me to purchase my Alien but was banned the next day lol. Sounds like he was gonna scam this guy for 14k then use it to buy my pin, that would have been very very bad.....

Wow. Wouldn’t that have been something?
He was scamming me $14K but still going to take that money to be a game from you, then presumably fall off the grid.
Kinda wish he had gotten my money and then shown up at your door with us knowing what we know. Could have caught him. I’m sure he’ll surface again, unfortunately.

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from Nethawk86:

Can you PM me with name he was using or was it just his pinside profile of FOHUNTER?

#83 4 years ago

OP, the next time you decide to spend $16,000 on a game, offer a $100 to have a local go inspect it for you. Just sayin'.

This was from Melissa’s guidance to let me know that there was no way a TBL was in Florida. He also claimed that he just spoke with Melissa and she said the warranty would transfer over.

This is simply not true. There are at least 4 that came to Florida.

#84 4 years ago

"avoid FOHUNTER" isn't useful anymore. If we all promise to simply ignore and not harass, can you share something relevant (i.e. paypal, email, name, city)?

This is the kind of person that will be back... and on pinball classifieds, etc.

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from Jack8765:

Those sales probably never actually happened. It’s also possible this person has another handle and is still lurking or even a viable member of the community. The Fohunter handle was only active a couple of months, but was pretty active and built some level of credibility in that time. Seems he is familiar with the hobby.

I hate to throw the wrench in here but if you simply go into the games for sale and find the archived market ad, you can find his post history.
I looked through every post he’s made on Pinside.

He posted maybe 5 times. Amazing community posts such as

And finally his only decent post:

Quoted from fohunter:

The fifth element, would be nice

Do some research on new people. Look into their history. If they seem sketchy, avoid them. If you absolutely must be a glutton for punishment, then spend an hour cyberstalking.

Naming some titles should NOT be the only criteria for being in the community. At least look for some social interaction.

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Paypal is slanted for buyer protection. They believe whatever baloney the buyer makes up. This is why cash on the glass is king.... unless you know the person. It's one of the reasons Ebay went downhill IMO as well, whatever lies the buyer makes up, ebay and paypal believe, and the seller is left with no merch or money.
It even happens to businesses, John's Jukes in Canada was brokering sales for the "time travel warehouse" (see story on rec.games.pinball) and someone bought a robotron, issued a chargeback and got to keep the machine and their money. John got nothing, even with him paying the CC fees. Expensive lesson for sure.
Another seller had a picture of the buyers loading the machine into their vehicle, with the license plate clearly shown, they were supposed to pay cash but had some cockamamie story about the ATM being out of cash, over the daily limits, etc. so they did the transaction right there on their phone, seller took pics and everything.... yup, chargeback. He sent the pictures in and PP didn't care a whit who was loading what when.
Cash isn't always king either, sometimes there's counterfeit bills in there! Ugh.

That's because they used Zero seller protections. I own a salvage yard, I deal in used auto parts from 20 dollars to 10,000 dollars. If you do not follow the guidelines Ebay/Paypal or your CC processor sets for chargeback protection. You will absolutely lose a charge back.

Cash on the glass is great... Are you using a counterfeit marking pen on each 100 dollar bill?

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from Nysbadmk8:

Cash on the glass is great... Are you using a counterfeit marking pen on each 100 dollar bill?

The pen is not reliable. There’s counterfeit bills which will mark gold with the pen and in 5-10 minutes, turn black. Also, the pen doesn’t work for washed/reprinted bills. Watermark is the only way to go. I did a large cash deal years ago, and to verify every bill, I used a Mars 2800 DBA in my DBA test setup-I ran every bill through. The folks that have the notes which fool DBAs aren’t coming around buying pinballs and old arcade games...

#89 4 years ago

You need to pee on his rug dude.

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

You need to pee on his rug dude.

8C446FA0-33AE-4B4A-A72F-F23A636868A2 (resized).jpeg8C446FA0-33AE-4B4A-A72F-F23A636868A2 (resized).jpeg
#91 4 years ago

YES, 100% Please, out this S.O.B.!!!

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

YES, 100% Please, out this S.O.B.!!!

Yeah, I don't get why the OP hasn't. If this is really a criminal act then there is no shame in sharing his name, in fact, it's your duty.

#93 4 years ago

Perhaps we should all privately PM him and he might give the info out.

#94 4 years ago

Sorry for the delay everyone.
The scammer called himself John W. Thomas.
The W was for Winbush.
His email is:
[email protected]
He used the cell phone number:
(904) 300-2997
Also, in an interesting twist, PayPal is currently out $2,000.
The scammer got the money but my bank stopped payment in time. I’m shocked that can happen. I’ve called PayPal multiple times to see what I can do to help. Hope it all works out.
Again, sorry for the delay.
Thanks.

#95 4 years ago

Yeah, I don't get why the OP hasn't. If this is really a criminal act then there is no shame in sharing his name, in fact, it's your duty.

completely agree. Sorry for the delay.

#96 4 years ago

2020: People still sending large sums of money friends and family

#97 4 years ago

Sorry for the delay everyone.
The scammer called himself John W. Thomas.
The W was for Winbush.
His email is:
[email protected]
He used the cell phone number:
(904) 300-2997
Also, in an interesting twist, PayPal is currently out $2,000.
The scammer got the money but my bank stopped payment in time. I’m shocked that can happen. I’ve called PayPal multiple times to see what I can do to help. Hope it all works out.
Again, sorry for the delay.
Thanks.

Paypal is coming for you. They are awful

#98 4 years ago

John W. Thomas.
The W was for Winbush.
His email is:
[email protected]

It’s a fake name. That’s the name of Lady Chatterly’s lovers penis. Probably a burner phone as well.

It will be interesting to hear PayPal’s threats/sob story about why you owe them $2k. Please keep us posted.

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Using friends and family is not "ripping off" PayPal. It's a legitimate option that they offer for sending funds.

It actually isn’t. PayPal provide a separate option for paying for an item or service (which is what the buyer in this scenario is doing).

I don’t care one way or the other how others use the service. I do however read the terms and conditions of services I sign up for so I know what I’m agreeing to. Do you?

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Any transactions from Miami should be considered a red flag. Not saying everyone’s a crook, but....

Yea and watch out for them aholes from Clearwater too. Heard they all have Covid amiright?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

15,000 (OBO)
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 210.00
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scam-alert-fohunter/page/2?hl=reddragons5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.