Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Rondogg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I wanted to make people aware of a recent series of pinballs being sold on EBay that are complete scams. There are no ads I can link to as they have been pulled down one by one. This morning a Cactus Canyon came up that had reached $2k with 65 bids before it was pulled. Previously it was a Glamour woodrail and a Theater of Magic.

The auctions all have the same format. Someone posting up a pinball (including a woodrail) usually using some other prior auction pictures. Description says its in great condition and that they are just looking to get some absurdly low $X out of it ($5000 for the Cactus Canyon). It then says to please email before bidding and provides some varying gmail or aol account.

Don't get fooled. It's a fishing expedition and not a real auction. You contact via the email, they offer to sell outside the auction, you sensing a great opportunity ignore common sense and end up out several thousand dollars with nothing to show for it and no recourse.

This has been discussed over in EM hangout, but may not percolate up to the top threads

#2 7 years ago

And they get your email to spam the sh** out of you.

#3 7 years ago

I have seen this auction technique,glad I never got wrapped up in it, Great deals to the unaware.
    Mike

#4 7 years ago

I'm stunned that anyone would even consider buying a pinball sight unseen. Nobody buys a car without a test drive. Same logic should apply to pinball. Those eBay ads are not to be trusted ever. I once saw a Nugent for sale. The seller claimed it was the actual machine pictured for sale. They posted 4 pictures and all 4 pictures showed 4 different color flipper rubbers. Now thats some total bullshit right there. My advice is to find a game you want close to home and go see it for yourself.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from mikat11:

Nobody buys a car without a test drive.

People all over the world have been taken in by scams selling cars & other items, renting real estate, wiring money for any number of reasons that are obvious scams to the jaded/experienced eye.

Never assume people act the same as you, or act rationally. The promise of making or saving a few quick thousand is enough to make too many people take leave of their senses.

Take a look at how many multi-level marketing scams are out there. Some have been going on for years (I'm looking at you Amway) and have basketball arenas named for them. Their names and the perps change but the scams keep on coming.

#7 7 years ago

Wow that's something else, I have been selling vintage toys on ebay for years and have never heard if that scam thanks for the heads up!

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from mikat11:I'm stunned that anyone would even consider buying a pinball sight unseen.

I have bought several pins sight unseen. Some were exactly as represented/as I had expected and some were disappointing. Nevertheless, it was not the end of the world and it has never been anything that a litte time and effort could not fix. I prefer working on the machines rather than playing them anyway.

Quoted from mikat11:

I cannot recall ever having test driven any car that I bought. I typcially order a new car from the dealer and give them a list of all the options I want. Many of them were models of cars I had never driven before I took delivery of mine when it was finally assembled.

#9 7 years ago

I pre-order pizza before I have a chance to taste it.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from rviguet:

I have bought several pins sight unseen. Some were exactly as represented/as I had expected and some were disappointing. Nevertheless, it was not the end of the world and it has never been anything that a litte time and effort could not fix. I prefer working on the machines rather than playing them anyway.

I cannot recall ever having test driven any car that I bought. I typcially order a new car from the dealer and give them a list of all the options I want. Many of them were models of cars I had never driven before I took delivery of mine when it was finally assembled.

OK so your willing to pay for junk cars and pinballs in hopes the next will be a good one. Mr. Spock would say "highly illogical Captain".

#11 7 years ago

If only I could get them to send me a fax machine number. Been really wanting to try out that "fax a black sheet taped together at both ends" trick.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from mikat11:

Actually, I know a guy who bought a car off Ebay without having seen it in person. He's very happy with it.

#13 7 years ago

Remember if it seems to good to be true. 99% of the time it's not.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

If only I could get them to send me a fax machine number. Been really wanting to try out that "fax a black sheet taped together at both ends" trick.

Don't bother. eFax is common today, they just show up in the recipient's email box.

#15 7 years ago

I bought my Audi TT off EBay site unseen. The rental dealer that sold it to me took care of a electrical problem that popped up the second day I had it. It was a $500 fix and the dealer mandated that I take it to an Audi dealer to be fixed. Up standing outfit and a nice transaction.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from rviguet:

I usually buy my yachts out of a catalog. Just circle the one you want and hand the magazine to one of the staff. Not sure why people make it harder than that.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scam-alert-ebay-auctions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.